Canon of Power Electronics

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, December 08, 2009, 10:09:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

excruciation

I would like to add FFH "Make Them Understand" to this. Similar to Deathpile "G.R." this was a watershed moment in US power electronics and has really grown in legend since it came out. It's highly sought after and could really use a reissue, it definitely would do well.

Zeno Marx

Quote from: Andrew McIntosh on September 12, 2024, 01:48:13 PM
Quote from: xdementia on September 12, 2024, 09:05:24 AM2012 - Sutcliffe Jugend - Blue Rabbit CD - First known exploration of "quiet power electronics" where typical pe concepts and lyrical content appears over electroacoustic atmospheres and marking a new shift for the legendary project.
Yea, I'll back this suggestion. Didn't sound like a lot of other material at the time, at least in my experience and as far as I recall now. Not exactly Death Industrial but something a little different, a little newer, I though anyway. I think you can hear the influence of this sort of thing in later projects like She Spread Sorrow.
I don't follow SJ with much dedication, so I've only heard this album a single time.  The vocals, dramatics, and overall dark and brooding vibe had me thinking of Contrastate, which is of the highest order of compliment, while also having me scratch my head about only going to it once.  Some of the organic acoustics (dried woods and stones?) had me in that JGrzinich or Seth Nehil frame too, which is another high caliber association.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Into_The_Void

The first Macelleria Mobile di Mezzanotte "Profilo Ottimale delle Ferite" came a few days ago to my mind. Released in 2001, it's their first and only industrial output before switching toward a cinematic / avantgarde direction (which is still sometimes good, sometimes less, still interesting). I consider this one a little milestone in the italian industrial underground, taking up the thread of the italian "giallo" atmosphere and mixed with the morbid aura of Atrax Morgue, Mauthausen Orchestra, etc..great record, for sure the best they (at the time the project consisted, if I remember correctly, of only Adriano) did.
https://sabruxa.bandcamp.com/ (Industrial / ambient)

BatteredStatesofEuphoria

Quote from: prelapsus on September 10, 2024, 10:00:23 PMBack on topic: How do people feel about Sound of Sadism as a canonical release? I'm not that knowledgable about PE specifically but I picked this up from Hospital in a sale a while back. The original CD was 1000 copies and it got a LP reissue through Hospital. Tracklist has heavy hitters like Deathpile, Taint, Atrax Morgue, Con-Dom etc. Interested to know how this is viewed by the community.

That was always one that for whatever reason I felt didn't live up to what it should have. Which might just be that a few of the names on there, while being well regarded generally, never did much for me. But even with the projects I liked, I had this feeling that, contra the title, they were holding something back. The counterargument, though, is with those aspects, I always felt it would work as a good intro to the genre for those curious about it.

If nothing else, the fact that it got an LP reissue proves it was well thought of, so its worthy of consideration.

Some other comps from around that era that might merit inclusion: Estheticks of Cruelty on Cold Meat, and the massive Don't Hunt What You Can't Kill on L-White, which is pretty much a Who's Who of the big names at the turn of the millenium, with many still going strong.