Bandcamp changes ahead?

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, October 09, 2023, 06:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreakAnimalFinland

I was reading curious article posted by one noise artist:

https://www.wired.com/story/epic-games-sale-bandcamp-music-platform-limbo/

Lots of polemic has been with discogs changes and updates, but I would change such a sudden new owner for bandcamp, who bought the system, not the employees, might hint that there are some changes coming.

In article is mentioned how current fees are so small, it probably means new ower sees opportunity for vastly bigger cut? Perhaps monthly fees for artists like there is for labels (I think labels do pay monthly fee right?).

It would be curious to see what it would do for a lot of utmost marginal music, if indeed it would not be place where you can just dump whatever for free, but monthly fees might make you think if hosting stuff there worth it?

Of course these are just speculations, but it would be unlikely company is sold so it would keep operating "as is". Probably bought for potential, that would mean how much more you can milk artists before they walk away?

Thinking how just about everybody had myspace for a while, and then... absolutely nobody?

Personally, no problem, but it seems obvious that a lot of noise has been basically build almost solely around this one website, so sudden change of mentality may have some impact?
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Atrophist

I have Bandcamp, but honestly don't like it very much and have been considering getting rid of it altogether. I've already taken down a lot of material from there. If it were to become insignificant or vanish altogether it wouldn't matter to me at all, personally.

I can imagine that it is much more important for small labels than individual artists. Especially if you have actual records and merch to sell.

Bandcamp's benefits are, at least in part, illusory. Just because you can dump something (anything, actually) there for free, does not mean that anyone will be interested. If a tree falls in the woods .... comes to mind. Anyway, there are always alternatives. Youtube and Soundcloud are the obvious ones, I'm sure there are plenty of others.

I'm actually considering a Distrokid subscription at some point, since Bandcamp doesn't work for me. Ymmv of course and interested to hear how others see this.

Theodore

I wont blame them if they add a monthly fee / rent. Is there any restriction how much you can upload now ? It's their space / storage. Having netlabels of any genre uploading hundreds of releases each that noone cares to buy. A fee -in case you dont reach a sales minimum per month- solves that 'problem' and i am sure they will do it eventualy. This ofcource may lead smaller artists to exit. Better or worse ? Depends on your point of view. If you use Bandcamp as the only source of your music, then that would be a major change, to see artists you followed to leave, but that may lead people to change their new habit and return back to the traditional physical purchases.

For people like me who rarely have spent money for digital files -that's not to say i dont download / pirate / use them from people who share them or if there are free. I just refuse to spend cash for files. Cant justify such purchase at most cases. - , nothing will change. Maybe less music would be 'available' around in the internet. But at this point, i dont think that would be a bad thing too. More focus on those you have.
"ἀθάνατοι θνητοί, θνητοὶ ἀθάνατοι, ζῶντες τὸν ἐκείνων θάνατον, τὸν δὲ ἐκείνων βίον τεθνεῶτες"

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: Theodore on October 11, 2023, 09:28:26 PMI wont blame them if they add a monthly fee / rent. Is there any restriction how much you can upload now ? It's their space / storage. Having netlabels of any genre uploading hundreds of releases each that noone cares to buy. A fee -in case you dont reach a sales minimum per month- solves that 'problem' and i am sure they will do it eventualy. This ofcource may lead smaller artists to exit. Better or worse ? Depends on your point of view. If you use Bandcamp as the only source of your music, then that would be a major change, to see artists you followed to leave, but that may lead people to change their new habit and return back to the traditional physical purchases.

For people like me who rarely have spent money for digital files -that's not to say i dont download / pirate / use them from people who share them or if there are free. I just refuse to spend cash for files. Cant justify such purchase at most cases. - , nothing will change. Maybe less music would be 'available' around in the internet. But at this point, i dont think that would be a bad thing too. More focus on those you have.

I agree.  Perhaps a fee might also be enough for some self-moderated quality control on releases---akin to the need to buy blank tapes for your release in the ye auld days!

FreakAnimalFinland

In line with expectations, half of bandcamp work force laid off:
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/bandcamp-layoffs-following-songtradr-acquisition-1234855267/
(story may be behind pay wall. Oddly I did get to read it earlier today)

Now just expecting how much all the fees and cuts will rise and if monthly fee is implemented for more users.

Quote from: Theodore on October 11, 2023, 09:28:26 PMI wont blame them if they add a monthly fee / rent. Is there any restriction how much you can upload now ? It's their space / storage. Having netlabels of any genre uploading hundreds of releases each that noone cares to buy. A fee -in case you dont reach a sales minimum per month- solves that 'problem' and i am sure they will do it eventualy. This ofcource may lead smaller artists to exit. Better or worse ? Depends on your point of view. If you use Bandcamp as the only source of your music, then that would be a major change, to see artists you followed to leave, but that may lead people to change their new habit and return back to the traditional physical purchases.

Yes, it is certainly something one understands 100%. Why would company offer unlimited free space for artists who create only cost and not profit. Indeed, one could think it is positive if not every joke you create, will be uploaded, but you'd start to think is this worth of putting out there.

For example there has been comments that these days, after discogs became harder and more difficult to handle, its original purpose as database where items are being listed, has suffered. Bigger sellers have commented that new inventory they get, used to be already listed there. Now more often than before, they got to list it first before being able to sell. Merely indicating that 1) selling new inventory happens less 2) less fans there to do it. In some music genres, thing that you often can not even sell something, entire label may be banned for market place, it therefore removes entirely that route where discography gets updated as byproduct of sellers listing inventory. Leaving it all up to fans. Therefore it may take long time for data of repressings etc appear - if they come at all.
So, action that is taken to improved and make something profitable, may have counter effect that wasn't really evaluated. Lets say bandcamp would become too expensive that large portion of non-profit underground music leaves? It may mean that so leaves certain % of audience and users, who may have been the most vocal bandcamp street team, spamming every underground music users email with links and offers of the company. Next thing could be that you just don't hear about them in a way that you'd go to the site. As useful and full of stuff it is, if it wasn't "check my bandcamp" links provided, don't go to the site almost at all.

mag-maa

I stopped selling my stuff in Bandcamp some while ago, when I found out that they sold themselves to the bigger company, which is connected to even bigger companies/multibillionaire owners (that happened about 1 year before I knew about it). Didn't feel like to support that type of business with my music/art (which supposed to be opposite for that type of business-mind-world). So, my albums are there available only to listen (and some digital versions are free to download).

Physical copies are listed in Discogs - but I suggest anyway for people to order without any of those companies between. Direct transaction if possible, no fees to anyone.
BUT "funny" thing is, that after my new cool rules, no-one has been asking the digital or physical versions of my albums (ok.. maybe few, but those came from old contacts). It's like it's too difficult to send an email to make the order. Everything should be "company organized click'n'pay as fast as possible"-solution. My system is also kind of "eternal bandcamp friday", but that's still not enough for the potential customers. Maybe people just like to fund procents to billionaires and to support their glorious lifestyle - or they just don't want to be in direct contact with the artist (which might make sense... somehow... or does it?).

I used to have a habit to upload everything to Bandcamp and to keep the catalogue living there, but now I am looking for something new and more fresh.

FreakAnimalFinland

I don't know how many have tested selling digital files via their own store? If you got people who want to buy files, would they be into ordering them via "Shopify", "limited run" or whatever cart system someone is using? I have feeling as if buying files is so much more connected to INSTANT access, that if you buy album, and have to wait for 1-2 days for artists to notice new order, and send you the download link, it feels very different from automatic system?

What Magma says here, seems anomaly in underground. I have talked about it in past, but it is curious situation. As guy who comes from era when DIY ethos was strong, and opposition toward big corporations what almost automation, it has been slightly amusing to see how little criticism would be when it would be now like "iTunes", "amazon", "google", etc...  Sure I have account on fb and YouTube too, but its not like I'd be most avid promoter of those or making them my exclusive outlet.

In situations where artists makes moral decisions and gets all upset if other artists may have said or done something "wrong" is not that rare. Seems more rare that perhaps those folks would compare, how bad is that, compared to former BC owner, Epic Games who was owned 40% by Chinese mega corporation. No problem being in direct financial mechanism and volunteer promotion campaign for it. Of course people can, but it is quite curious that I doubt I have ever seen others than Magma* above address the problem and then act according his principle?

Penon

Quote from: magma* on October 21, 2023, 09:14:12 PMI stopped selling my stuff in Bandcamp some while ago, when I found out that they sold themselves to the bigger company, which is connected to even bigger companies/multibillionaire owners (that happened about 1 year before I knew about it). Didn't feel like to support that type of business with my music/art (which supposed to be opposite for that type of business-mind-world). So, my albums are there available only to listen (and some digital versions are free to download).

Physical copies are listed in Discogs - but I suggest anyway for people to order without any of those companies between. Direct transaction if possible, no fees to anyone.
BUT "funny" thing is, that after my new cool rules, no-one has been asking the digital or physical versions of my albums (ok.. maybe few, but those came from old contacts). It's like it's too difficult to send an email to make the order. Everything should be "company organized click'n'pay as fast as possible"-solution. My system is also kind of "eternal bandcamp friday", but that's still not enough for the potential customers. Maybe people just like to fund procents to billionaires and to support their glorious lifestyle - or they just don't want to be in direct contact with the artist (which might make sense... somehow... or does it?).

I used to have a habit to upload everything to Bandcamp and to keep the catalogue living there, but now I am looking for something new and more fresh.
I think there are two different behavior patterns for the potential buyers.
One is buying something you KNOW will be good, and you actively look forward to - new release from one of your favourite artists, or labels that you are obsessing about. To make this kind of purchase, I am sure fans will easily pass the hurdle of sending an e-mail to get the release.
Another is "exploration" purchase. Considering a purchase of a release that MAY be good, based on recommendations, similar artists or any previews on Youtube. I think to make a purchase like this, fans expect seamless and automated process because in many ways it is "unfair" to expect them not only to buy something they are unsure about, but also do it in a way that is no longer conventional.

The issue these is given how much music is out there (even in somewhat niche world of noise/industrial), almost every purchase these days falls into "exploraton" bucket, and there is always more music to buy than money earned. There is no surprise that fans prioritise simpler options in terms of user-experience.

P.S. You could also consider something like what Old Europa Cafe does. On their website, there is a basket and a form, but all it does is essentially sending an e-mail to the label owner. After that, everything (including direct PayPal payments) is sorted by e-mail. But the first step is friendlier and more "automated".
Minimum Sentence - UK Disquieting Electronics:
Youtube - Soundcloud - Bandcamp - Instagram

Krigsverk

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on October 23, 2023, 10:18:06 AMIn situations where artists makes moral decisions and gets all upset if other artists may have said or done something "wrong" is not that rare. Seems more rare that perhaps those folks would compare, how bad is that, compared to former BC owner, Epic Games who was owned 40% by Chinese mega corporation. No problem being in direct financial mechanism and volunteer promotion campaign for it. Of course people can, but it is quite curious that I doubt I have ever seen others than Magma* above address the problem and then act according his principle?

After Epic´s takeover Folkstorm deleted their BC, and you cant buy Nordvargr digital anymore, just stream. Fuck BC.

mag-maa

Quote from: Krigsverk on October 23, 2023, 04:22:07 PMAfter Epic´s takeover Folkstorm deleted their BC, and you cant buy Nordvargr digital anymore, just stream. Fuck BC.

But on their website digital versions are available. For example this one: https://www.nordvargr.com/shop/nordvargr-resignation-i-digital-release
It looks like to work in a way like what Penon told in his message. And that's probably a good way to handle the digital sales. No extra fee to anyone... except to Paypal (argh!), unless if we use the ´send to friend´ option (but that doesn't work always, there are some restrictions for some users).

Today when I was checking transactions from recent Discogs sales, I couldn't believe the fact that there are massive amounts of fees in their system! Look at their own example: https://s3.us-west-2.amazonaws.com/cs.discogs.com/MP+Help+Center+Images/ENGLISH/Understanding+Discogs+Selling+Fees/partner+fee+new+.jpg
There's a product with price 25 euros. Customer needs to pay naturally the shipping and then 7,54€ tax (already a lot!). But the seller will get the fee-penalty: -2,43€ and -10,93€ ... total amount from the product (shipping not included) is 11,60€ !!!! The seller gets less than HALF of the original price! Isn't that just totally SICK!?

I was using (and actually still) Discogs as a plan B after leaving from Bandcamp, but now even that doesn't really fit to my head. Have to go back to basics... just a list of available products to own website, and waiting to get email orders. Or is that too primitive way? If we (or some of us) really need to clickable catchy-easy purchase buttons so badly, what would be a good option? Shopify? Limited Run? Are those actually any better?

I am still OK to use Bandcamp or even Meta and Google (to share my works, and to find other people's works) - but not in a way that I would pay them anything. So far adblocker has been working well in Youtube as well.

W.K.

Yeah Discogs fees are shit, but unless you already have a group of dedicated followers there isn't really a viable alternative for larger releases?

A newsletter with announcing new stuff is always a good idea, but still how many newsletters and mails are you receiving already? Instagram announcements seems to work for some, but that feels very hype-y and artificial to me.

I have no idea.

Straight murkin' riddim blud, absolute vile gash

xdementia

New BandCamp eula today prohibits any covers unless you have express permission

QuoteWhat can I upload? Are covers OK? You must own or control all rights to everything you upload. That means covers are out, unless you have a written license or authorization from the artist to upload the cover to Bandcamp and grant us the rights in the terms below. Do not upload cover songs unless you have obtained all permissions and authorizations in writing! These requirements apply regardless of whether you're selling the music or giving it away. The full details are here.

FreakAnimalFinland

No wonder, when the new owner is in music licensing business.

I would suppose next step might be mentioning that using movie samples etc belong under exact same category? If installing good enough automatic recognition system, it could prevent easily most of usage of samples. Already as is, I got one bigger band on my label who used extremely short movie sample within metal song, like couple sentences, and they had to make edit of the song without sample so it would not be always taken down from digital platforms where album is available. So CD/LP and digital version are little different merely due copyright reasons. Funny thing is that it is almost unrecognizable what the sample even says, but not for "AI". So what would be the future of abundant recycling of other peoples sounds/voices/samples in industrial noise releases?

My own experiences has been at YouTube, doing the usual "browsing of records at the store", as way of displaying customers what new arrivals there are, and YT recognizes COIL playing on background, as weird and abstract it is, still preventing video to be online due copyright violation,.. unless audio is muted automatically from moments when you can hear the song appear.

There are different regulations in EU and other places, and a lot of music that you try to listen at YouTube, has also copyright restrictions that can't be listened inside EU.

Confuzzled

Though it seems mainly to be a DJ site, artcore.com seems underpopulated and worth checking out. If anything, there's a greater chance of people stumbling across noise by mistake!

mag-maa

Quote from: Confuzzled on October 27, 2023, 09:02:09 PMThough it seems mainly to be a DJ site, artcore.com seems underpopulated and worth checking out. If anything, there's a greater chance of people stumbling across noise by mistake!

I saw that some while ago, but the layout of artist pages didn't really get me in. I sent a message to them and asked if there would be some editing possibilities coming or planned already... but they never sent a message back. The default view of profile shows "Top Tracks" on top right. I assume it might be fun layout for some type of music, but for experimental/noise it doesn't really fit (and even if it would fit for someone, a good thing would be to have a chance to edit the view...)