Good modern PE recommendations

Started by dumphump424, October 23, 2023, 08:04:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penon

I have a more specific question - I found myself enjoying a specific type of power electronics / death industrial that I struggle to describe in words. Perhaps clinical? Not shoegazy harsh nosie wall type of sound, but layered PE with clearly defined and separable instruments (bonus points for prominent electronic bass). Something that could even be said to be borderline dark ambient but certainly with noisy PE harshness. Something slower and structured, not Merzbow type chaotic. More Tesco than Freak Animal (sorry!)

Examples that people should understand
  • Early Maurizio Bianchi
  • Anenzephalia 
  • Rasthof Dachau ‎- Prison Poems
  • Operation Cleansweep - Powerhungry!
  • Steel Hook Prostheses - Light Reflected From A Cold Cutting Table
  • Dødsmaskin
  • MZ.412
  • Could be even something more rhythmical (for example, with occasional drum machine) like Drape Excrement or Military Position but still firmly within PE/DI realm

Minimum Sentence - UK Disquieting Electronics:
Youtube - Soundcloud - Bandcamp - Instagram

Phenol

With those preferences older stuff like Dagda Mor, Söldnergeist and Ex.Order should be right up your alley. Look into labels such as Membrum Debile Propaganda, Stateart, Praxis Dr. Bearmann/Tactical Recordings etc.  Newer stuff like Kevlar and Serration should also scratch that itch. All these artists and labels are pretty wellknown, so you probably know them already, but anyway...

Thermophile

PTM Jim

Quote from: Penon on November 24, 2023, 02:40:42 PMI have a more specific question - I found myself enjoying a specific type of power electronics / death industrial that I struggle to describe in words. Perhaps clinical? Not shoegazy harsh nosie wall type of sound, but layered PE with clearly defined and separable instruments (bonus points for prominent electronic bass). Something that could even be said to be borderline dark ambient but certainly with noisy PE harshness. Something slower and structured, not Merzbow type chaotic. More Tesco than Freak Animal (sorry!)

• Early Maurizio Bianchi
  • Anenzephalia
  • Dødsmaskin
  • MZ.412
  • Could be even something more rhythmical (for example, with occasional drum machine) like Drape Excrement or Military Position but still firmly within PE/DI realm

You MIGHT like DSM III

cr

Not so modern as in "a release from past few years", but I think "Fire in the Head: Confessions of a Narcissist" is a very good modern PE record. Haven't listened to it myself in years, but I'm just listening right now.
Nowadays, this seems to be a project nobody is talking about anymore, but then I wonder, why?

cr

Quote from: Penon on November 24, 2023, 02:40:42 PMI have a more specific question - I found myself enjoying a specific type of power electronics / death industrial that I struggle to describe in words. Perhaps clinical? Not shoegazy harsh nosie wall type of sound, but layered PE with clearly defined and separable instruments (bonus points for prominent electronic bass). Something that could even be said to be borderline dark ambient but certainly with noisy PE harshness. Something slower and structured, not Merzbow type chaotic. More Tesco than Freak Animal (sorry!)

• Early Maurizio Bianchi
  • Anenzephalia
  • Dødsmaskin
  • MZ.412
  • Could be even something more rhythmical (for example, with occasional drum machine) like Drape Excrement or Military Position but still firmly within PE/DI realm

Not sure if you can call it PE, or modern, but it somehow goes with the suggestions from Phenol (at least labelwise): Try Stabat Mors! One of my absolute favourites.