"A Brief history of Anti-Records and Conceptual Records"

Started by Balor/SS1535, November 12, 2023, 08:42:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balor/SS1535

I found this interesting article online, and I was wondering what others thought of anti-records and other experimental approaches to records.

https://www.ubu.com/papers/rice.html

The only thing that I own that is somewhat within this realm is Woe is Me's Heat Seeking Audio 7inch, which has a b-side cut so that one track plays from the edge to the center and another from the center outward (each ending in a locked groove somewhere in the middle).

Has anyone tried making record/flexi cut-ups like AMK is described as doing here?

Favorite anti-records or stories about making them?

PTM Jim

Love Anti-records and they are, to me, an essential piece of noise as a culture rather then just *ugh* "music."

Honeymoon Production – Manipulation Muzak
and
Billboard Combat – Metastasis
are two of my favorites.

As well as Due Process' Do Damage and Do Nothing and RRRon destroying the grooves of Architects Office track on some of the Colorado LPs.

Zeno Marx

Rubbish has done some of the finest ones I've seen.  They used to post photos of them on Troniks.  Not sure if they ever make it to Discogs.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

XXX

Quote from: Zeno Marx on November 13, 2023, 05:32:20 PMNot sure if they ever make it to Discogs.

from reading the discogs forums, it seems some mods dont want antirecords in the database while others do want their inclusion. seems those against say since each antirecord has different audio it cannot be considered the same addition. meaning a run of 100 anti records would need 100 entries (regardless of having the same catalogue number.)

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: Zeno Marx on November 13, 2023, 05:32:20 PMRubbish has done some of the finest ones I've seen.  They used to post photos of them on Troniks.  Not sure if they ever make it to Discogs.

What made his unique?  Looking at his website now, it doesn't seem like there are any pictures of them there either.

searchofexit

I recommend checking out the Extreme Music book on Feral House. It has a small section on anti-records and great Special Packaged records. All in all it's all about extreme music as the title states but so much info on noise and releases

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: searchofexit on November 25, 2023, 10:23:11 PMI recommend checking out the Extreme Music book on Feral House. It has a small section on anti-records and great Special Packaged records. All in all it's all about extreme music as the title states but so much info on noise and releases

This looks very interesting.  I will have to pick up a copy.

Zeno Marx

Quote from: Balor/SS1535 on November 13, 2023, 09:43:44 PM
Quote from: Zeno Marx on November 13, 2023, 05:32:20 PMRubbish has done some of the finest ones I've seen.  They used to post photos of them on Troniks.  Not sure if they ever make it to Discogs.

What made his unique?  Looking at his website now, it doesn't seem like there are any pictures of them there either.
Sorry. Meant to come back to this and forgot. I just liked how they looked vs being impressed with an idea or gaudiness of the object. I remember them using paint a lot, at least in the one I have stuck in my mind.  You know, rather than glue or cement or whatever to make it a large or imposing object.
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: Zeno Marx on November 27, 2023, 06:27:18 PM

Sorry. Meant to come back to this and forgot. I just liked how they looked vs being impressed with an idea or gaudiness of the object. I remember them using paint a lot, at least in the one I have stuck in my mind.  You know, rather than glue or cement or whatever to make it a large or imposing object.

Were they meant to be played, or were they more art objects?

Zeno Marx

Quote from: Balor/SS1535 on November 27, 2023, 07:01:24 PM

art objects. I wouldn't have played the one I have in mind.  unless I had a specific system/table, I wouldn't play any anti-record.  I don't even like to play Zoviet France's Gris on my regular table.
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: Zeno Marx on November 27, 2023, 08:08:34 PM
Quote from: Balor/SS1535 on November 27, 2023, 07:01:24 PM

art objects. I wouldn't have played the one I have in mind.  unless I had a specific system/table, I wouldn't play any anti-record.  I don't even like to play Zoviet France's Gris on my regular table.

That makes sense.  If I had the space, I would get a new player so that I could experiment with my old one and play anti-records without worry!