looking for a small portable mixer

Started by Confuzzled, December 15, 2023, 04:42:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Confuzzled

I'm currently using a shitty Maker Hart $50 mixer with no input noise. In the 3 years I've owned this little plastic turd, this is the only use I've found for it other than as an expensive doorstop, which I think it would fail at as well. I am now looking for a good portable mixer that will allow me to put 3 or 4 sets of effects on each channel, maybe a walkman? Not sure but I would like something with an effects loop. Mainly looking for portability.

Any suggestions?

Atrophist

Pretty much all desktop mixers have an effects loop (except for those very small 4 channel ones), rack ones may not, but if it's portability you're after, a rack mixer may not be ideal anyway. You may want to consider whether one effects loop is enough, or do you want 2 or more?

When you say you want a portable mixer, do you mean it should just be lightweight and easy to carry? Or do you want it to be battery-powered?

However:

Quote from: Confuzzled on December 15, 2023, 04:42:27 PMI am now looking for a good portable mixer that will allow me to put 3 or 4 sets of effects on each channel...

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this? Mixers that have 3-4 insert/aux per channel aren't going to be very portable ...

Or do you mean that you intend to connect 3-4 pedals/other effects in sequence to each channel?

Commander15

Well, Mackie 402 or Boss BX-4 are def portable to the point that you can attach them to pedalboard if needed. But those are not optimal for no-input stuff due to lack of aux outputs.

Maybe Fostex Hexamix would be good for this? It has one aux and 6 channels, stereo and headphone outs and it's really light and small. Mackie 802 also comes to mind.

Penon

I think Beringher Xenyx 802 could fit the bill well.

https://www.behringer.com/product.html?modelCode=P0575

It is portable enough to have it in a backpack, has one Aux send to do a chain, but you can also pretty well use monitor out / headphones out ports as sends too - that will allow you 2-3 loop chain for a no input mixing.

Finding a used one for $50 should be very much possible.
Minimum Sentence - UK Disquieting Electronics:
Youtube - Soundcloud - Bandcamp - Instagram

tiny_tove

careful with small behringer mixers (but also big ones have their flaws), at home/studio they are fine but LIVE they tend to saturate at high volume and not the best if you use vocals.
consider spending a few bucks more and get a allen & heat zed

I use Allen & Heath ZED-10 but that is neither small nor portable.

got it used for 150 euro and has a very warm sounds and resists very well under stress
CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0

Stipsi

Quote from: tiny_tove on January 07, 2024, 07:44:35 PMcareful with small behringer mixers (but also big ones have their flaws), at home/studio they are fine but LIVE they tend to saturate at high volume and not the best if you use vocals.
consider spending a few bucks more and get a allen & heat zed

I use Allen & Heath ZED-10 but that is neither small nor portable.

got it used for 150 euro and has a very warm sounds and resists very well under stress

Allen & Heath is quality.
Solid
North Central
Mademoiselle Bistouri
Daddy's Entertainment.
PERVERT AND PROUD.

Stipsi

North Central
Mademoiselle Bistouri
Daddy's Entertainment.
PERVERT AND PROUD.

tiny_tove

Quote from: Stipsi on January 07, 2024, 08:33:33 PMMackie 802 vlz4.
Solid one

I was going to mention that as well!!! and this is lighter and more portable than the allen & heat
CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0

Confuzzled

Quote from: Atrophist on December 20, 2023, 11:38:11 AMPretty much all desktop mixers have an effects loop (except for those very small 4 channel ones), rack ones may not, but if it's portability you're after, a rack mixer may not be ideal anyway. You may want to consider whether one effects loop is enough, or do you want 2 or more?

When you say you want a portable mixer, do you mean it should just be lightweight and easy to carry? Or do you want it to be battery-powered?

However:

Quote from: Confuzzled on December 15, 2023, 04:42:27 PMI am now looking for a good portable mixer that will allow me to put 3 or 4 sets of effects on each channel...

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this? Mixers that have 3-4 insert/aux per channel aren't going to be very portable ...

Or do you mean that you intend to connect 3-4 pedals/other effects in sequence to each channel?

I have a noise board that has 3 sections of effects (each section does something different sound-wise), and I was running it all into a DOD resistance mixer. 3 different sound sources into 1 output without great control over levels or EQ sounds like muddy ass, and not good muddy ass (to each their own right?). I actually found the cheap maker hart mixer (https://www.amazon.com/Maker-Hart-LOOP-MIXER-Portable/dp/B01M68UK38/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1UOR7SQXJRRO3&keywords=maker+hart+mixer&qid=1705508372&sprefix=maker+hart+mixer%2Caps%2C83&sr=8-5&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.18630bbb-fcbb-42f8-9767-857e17e03685) that I picked up in 2019 (at a way cheaper price) to be good at no input noise by looping it onto itself.

Ultimately, I'd like to get a mixer that I can fit on my board (the behringer looks good, though I have to measure the space), and route each signal path into the mixer. an effects loop is always a plus to add a little depth with reverb.

Penon

I have just got my hands on Alto Professional ZMX862, a relatively old model that seems to only be available second-hand these days.
https://www.altoprofessional.com/products/zmx862

At 1.7kg, it is still portable (although on a bulkier side for sure)

It has two proper independent FX Sends which even today for a small 6-channel mixer is quite rare. For music creation it is a bliss - cross sending of FX between two FX channels create very unexpected (albeit often uncontrollable) effects.
Minimum Sentence - UK Disquieting Electronics:
Youtube - Soundcloud - Bandcamp - Instagram

certainesthetik

Has anyone here used the Mackie Mix8 mixers for live performances? It looks a tad more compact, and about half the price of the 802 VLZ4. I'm looking to downsize.. any feedback would be appreciated !

Nolan

Quote from: Stipsi on January 07, 2024, 08:33:33 PMMackie 802 vlz4.
Solid one

Agreed, picked one up for a tour coming up where I need to strip it down a bit, usually use the 1402 in solo sets, the 802 is a great option for noise sets for me.

Two mono channels, three stereo, one send/ return, inserts on the two mono channels, XLR out option, lightweight, small (you can find smaller...), solid build.

For the tour I'm running one noise chain (contact mic and pedals), one small synth (Strega), one sampler in stereo (sp404), delay on the return.

Haven't used a Behringer mixer in forever but always found that as soon as you put two noise sources into it the quality compromised and the channels would leak into each other. Hopefully that's no longer the case.

Atrophist

Mixed experiences with Mackie mixers. I bought a new affordable one along with some Mackie monitors a few years, and both were defective right out of the box. Probably an extreme coincidence, but quite frustrating and disappointing.

On the other hand, I once bought a larger, very old Mackie mixer from the widow of a deceased jazz musician. This was almost ten years ago. Works like a dream to this day.

lacross

'd also suggest an Allen & Heath mixer. I have a ZEDi 10 I got for $219 that's good as a synth mixer. Not SSL level of course, but you get what you pay for. If you want the higher qualty, then maybe this, but it's $1,500