Strange and emotional experiences caused by noise

Started by Cranial Blast, February 12, 2024, 02:58:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cranial Blast

I don't know if something similar in the topic has been discussed in the past or not and often I've scoured the archives to see if so or if not, but for what's it worth, wondering what sort of emotional impact has been drawn to you by noise and how it's impacted you. Every so often there is a moment in power electronics/noise that almost hits on a level of profound spiritualism or like an epiphany for a lack a better word. One big example for me would be and I don't want to sound like a pretentious asshole or anything, but would be Grunt - Our Faith from The Beyond compilation. Ever since first listen has resonated with me in a very emotional impactful way that is on another level, it's almost like I had some strange epiphany in that moment that shed a new and old understanding that felt foreign to me at the time, but strangley clear as well, like something out of a past dream, or nightmare. Another example is H.Ö.H. - Untitled Side B of the Tukkeutunut Uniperäinen Mania tape...there is a subtle moment half way in where the noise sounds at harmony in it's strange sounds and there is a bit of a strange and almost melodic atmosphere, It's hard to explain and same with Our Faith...is it the words, is it the sounds...what is it that causes such a profound and strong emotion? What are other peoples songs or tracks that have caused all of the hairs on their bodies to stand up? I think it's moments like these where we get hit with such a massive dopamine rush to the brain, where it becomes almost like on a profound spiritual level that cannot fully be comprehended. Does anyone else share this sort of experience as well?

Thermophile

I don't know if you can call it emotional or strange but I tried for some period in the past to sleep while listening to the discography of the Incapacitants, on headphones with closed eyes and would imagine strange "melodies", "voices" or other structures emerging from the chaos of the sound.

I don't know if this can have some sort of "scientific explanation" in how the brain tricks you in the realm of sound.
In theory we know that white noise is a complex signal or sound that covers the entire range of audible frequencies, all of which possess equal intensity.

Andrew McIntosh

Live, both performing and spectating, I've had pretty intense moments. My initial attraction to Noise was that it appeased certain aggressive and nihilistic feelings I had at the time.
Shikata ga nai.

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: Thermophile on February 17, 2024, 06:06:43 PMI don't know if you can call it emotional or strange but I tried for some period in the past to sleep while listening to the discography of the Incapacitants, on headphones with closed eyes and would imagine strange "melodies", "voices" or other structures emerging from the chaos of the sound.

I don't know if this can have some sort of "scientific explanation" in how the brain tricks you in the realm of sound.
In theory we know that white noise is a complex signal or sound that covers the entire range of audible frequencies, all of which possess equal intensity.

Not sure if it is "scientific explanation", but you may check into "bardo of dream", "dream yoga" and such. It is absolutely one of the best ways of noise listening. Just yesterday was going through CCCC & Nocturnal Emissions collaboration CD, and probably sleeping through half of it. Was it "wasted"? Absolutely not. It can be even better, when you hear the noise in liminal state. Experience can be something very different than "normal listening".
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net