Record artwork discussion

Started by bogskaggmannen, February 29, 2024, 10:42:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bogskaggmannen

Record artworks has always been an interest for me, be it for the sake of impact, good use of fonts or just appealing design or layouts. I'd be curious to see and read examples of covers that you think work well - could be fitting the music, or on the contrary working because it don't fit the music etc. Bring bad examples too. I think there's way too little discussion around the covers in a genre where the visual side seems to be very important to the artists.

Hakaristi

Thought about this recently after a couple of newer releases caught my attention. One being the Impakt CD on Satatuhatta; vintage b&w photo of dirt bike rally chaos that that perfectly encapsulates the sounds within.

The other being the latest Sadio full-length which is a "location shoot" photo series featuring the masked/shirtless voyeurs hanging (and floating) about outdoors. PE needs more photo shoots!

Also really dig Gelsomina's Pythogenetics cover; simple photo of the artist on the steps of a cabin in the woods that projects heavy Linkola / Unabomber vibes. Despite sounds themselves not being anywhere close to rural noise, it fits!

Streicher's skinhead drawings too, reminding of some primitive RAC album cover or prison art thus complimenting the sound.

And honourable mention must go to BU's Indoctrination of Fist and Cock.

HateSermon

I appreciate the different Mania logos, whether its font based or hand drawn. Actually the whole handmade approach to his releases is something to admire.

The mirrored collages found in the later ZSS works are also well done. "Spectacle of the Triumph", for example, had some well put together designs.

As for covers -- I've always liked the painting for the first Vihanmiehet album and I think it matches the theme well. End of the world / rubber fetish vibe. Would be cool to see that as a shirt graphic.

It also helps when the visual art is related to the sounds themselves. Clinic of Torture, for instance. Pretty sure most of, if not all of those photos were taken by the artist and aided in the recording process. There's a sense of realness there. Or someone like Gnawed using images of the sewers he explored for his recordings.