Live show reports / comments

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, July 25, 2011, 09:35:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balor/SS1535

I get the sense that most contemporary noisecore is a social project rather than a "musical" one.  That can lead to a lot of energy in a scene, but rarely any need to progress.

As a side note re: Jason/Suppression---I saw them open for Boris last year on the "Pink" tour, and they very nearly stole the show.  Jason had an amp almost as tall as him, making his bass louder than the whole Boris set.

FreakAnimalFinland

oh yes, it is very much this. Like punk or current age death metal or something. Community and live energy may come first.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

k.p.g

Quote from: Balor/SS1535 on August 13, 2026, 02:11:45 AMI get the sense that most contemporary noisecore is a social project rather than a "musical" one.  That can lead to a lot of energy in a scene, but rarely any need to progress.
Wondering what scenes you may be referring to when writing about this.
Dead Door Unit
French Market Press
etc.

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: k.p.g on August 13, 2026, 03:06:24 PM
Quote from: Balor/SS1535 on August 13, 2026, 02:11:45 AMI get the sense that most contemporary noisecore is a social project rather than a "musical" one.  That can lead to a lot of energy in a scene, but rarely any need to progress.
Wondering what scenes you may be referring to when writing about this.

My primary experience with noisecore is in southern California---specifically centered around the venue Che Cafe.  It's an all-ages venue that attracts a lot of teenagers, which seem to overlap fairly significantly with many of the bands/projects that perform there (at least the local ones).  While that is definitely a small sample, all things considered, it seems to have mapped onto other encounters with noisecore both online and elsewhere.

Skin Flick

Quote from: Balor/SS1535 on August 13, 2026, 09:02:43 PM
Quote from: k.p.g on August 13, 2026, 03:06:24 PM
Quote from: Balor/SS1535 on August 13, 2026, 02:11:45 AMI get the sense that most contemporary noisecore is a social project rather than a "musical" one.  That can lead to a lot of energy in a scene, but rarely any need to progress.
Wondering what scenes you may be referring to when writing about this.

My primary experience with noisecore is in southern California---specifically centered around the venue Che Cafe.  It's an all-ages venue that attracts a lot of teenagers, which seem to overlap fairly significantly with many of the bands/projects that perform there (at least the local ones).  While that is definitely a small sample, all things considered, it seems to have mapped onto other encounters with noisecore both online and elsewhere.

All those damn tourists...

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: Skin Flick on August 13, 2026, 10:09:21 PM
Quote from: Balor/SS1535 on August 13, 2026, 09:02:43 PM
Quote from: k.p.g on August 13, 2026, 03:06:24 PM
Quote from: Balor/SS1535 on August 13, 2026, 02:11:45 AMI get the sense that most contemporary noisecore is a social project rather than a "musical" one.  That can lead to a lot of energy in a scene, but rarely any need to progress.
Wondering what scenes you may be referring to when writing about this.

My primary experience with noisecore is in southern California---specifically centered around the venue Che Cafe.  It's an all-ages venue that attracts a lot of teenagers, which seem to overlap fairly significantly with many of the bands/projects that perform there (at least the local ones).  While that is definitely a small sample, all things considered, it seems to have mapped onto other encounters with noisecore both online and elsewhere.

All those damn tourists...

When it's 10:1 in their favor, I feel like the visitor myself!

k.p.g

https://noisenotmusic.com/

New show report about the New Jersey date of this summer's Penis Geyser tour is up now on the Noise Not Music blog.  Take a read if you are curious!
Dead Door Unit
French Market Press
etc.

impulse manslaughter

#412
Visited the Rituals over Limburg festival yesterday. After a nice family meal with fresh burritos I drove to the city of Heerlen while listening to Lankum. Never been to the venue before which turned out to be a typical soulless Dutch venue. After running into some familiar faces I went inside for the first act. It wasn't crowded when I got in but when it was time to start there were enough people to fill up the room nicely.

Darkrad was kicking off with mostly pre-recorded dark ambient sounds, vocals, a bit of dancing and live painting. Video in the back told a personal story about the artist. All was well intended I guess and I heard a few nice sounds but overall it felt unfocussed and fake, like the candles on stage.

Next was Zero Kama and seeing the legendary logo projected on stage got me exited. When the music started the logo morphed into a background video with a lot of digital effects. Not very appealing. The music started with dark ambient and amplified bones. Not a bad start but most of what followed wasn't very interesting; the industrial techno tracks were especially boring and it was hard to keep my attention.

Inade came well prepared and they presented a set of well balanced heavy electronics. The live vocals and horns blended perfectly with the layers of thick ambient sound. Video in the back enhanced the cosmic vibe but didn't feel very human-made. Best performance of the day for me.

Anenzephalia is a personal favorite and I was looking forward to their performance. The rather mellow sounds and restrained vocals felt a bit underwhelming at first but slowly I was getting more into it. They played some nice tracks that were building up tention towards the end. Think I would've enjoyed it more with sparser vocals but a good show all in all. Video playing in the back was a bit messy with a mix of familiar and to me unfamiliar historic footage. If there was a message I didn't get it.

Murderous Vision was solid but didn't bring anything new to the table. I enjoyed his set although I think it went on a bit too long.

The drive back home with my good friend Peter Zincken was entertaining; we stopped for some snacks and talked about the current state of the noise scene and conspiracy theories in general. For me it was the first time visiting this festival. It was well organized with acts changing smoothly according to the time schedule. I didn't really get any festival or occult/ritualistic vibes and it felt more like a regular Saturday evening show. I know some people didn't go because they thought it was too expensive but for this Saturday lineup the price was okay for me.

Into_The_Void

#413
Quote from: impulse manslaughter on September 14, 2026, 12:45:29 AMVisited the Rituals over Limburg festival yesterday. After a nice family meal with fresh burritos I drove to the city of Heerlen while listening to Lankum. Never been to the venue before which turned out to be a typical soulless Dutch venue. After running into some familiar faces I went inside for the first act. It wasn't crowded when I got in but when it was time to start there were enough people to fill up the room nicely.

Darkrad was kicking off with mostly pre-recorded dark ambient sounds, vocals, a bit of dancing and live painting. Video in the back told a personal story about the artist. All was well intended I guess and I heard a few nice sounds but overall it felt unfocussed and fake, like the candles on stage.

Next was Zero Kama and seeing the legendary logo projected on stage got me exited. When the music started the logo morphed into a background video with a lot of digital effects. Not very appealing. The music started with dark ambient and amplified bones. Not a bad start but most of what followed wasn't very interesting; the industrial techno tracks were especially boring and it was hard to keep my attention.

Inade came well prepared and they presented a set of well balanced heavy electronics. The live vocals and horns blended perfectly with the layers of thick ambient sound. Video in the back enhanced the cosmic vibe but didn't feel very human-made. Best performance of the day for me.

Anenzephalia is a personal favorite and I was looking forward to their performance. The rather mellow sounds and restrained vocals felt a bit underwhelming at first but slowly I was getting more into it. They played some nice tracks that were building up tention towards the end. Think I would've enjoyed it more with sparser vocals but a good show all in all. Video playing in the back was a bit messy with a mix of familiar and to me unfamiliar historic footage. If there was a message I didn't get it.

Murderous Vision was solid but didn't bring anything new to the table. I enjoyed his set although I think it went on a bit too long.

The drive back home with my good friend Peter Zincken was entertaining; we stopped for some snacks and talked about the current state of the noise scene and conspiracy theories in general. For me it was the first time visiting this festival. It was well organized with acts changing smoothly according to the time schedule. I didn't really get any festival or occult/ritualistic vibes and it felt more like a regular Saturday evening show. I know some people didn't go because they thought it was too expensive but for this Saturday lineup the price was okay for me.

If you would have also come the day before you would've caught my set as well ahah, all artists were absolutely interesting also on the Friday. I agree with your comment, except that for me Inade were really good, but Anenzephalia have been my personal winner of the evening with their grandiose, mesmerizing show, and that I really enjoyed the Murderous Vision's set (but I prefer his music in studio).
https://sabruxa.bandcamp.com/ (Industrial / ambient)

Goat93

I was also only on Saturday in Heerlen. Never were there before, but was several Times in old Oefenbunker Location. The Venue was nice and the Sound was good. Wasn't too crowded. Not sure if its really work for a 2 Day Festival, but as One Day Concert it was good.
Darkrad has good Ideas, but it holds too much on Playback and the Acting is more for Teenage Goth than an old Audience. It wasn't bad, but the Visuals looked more Clumsy than good and the Painting was a little bit too witchy fancy. If the Artist play regulary and get a Routine on Stage, it could be a really interesting Performance.
Never was interested in Zero Kama, so it wasn't a Dissapointment, but it was one of the most Boring and Dull Set i have seen on Stage since Years. After that the First Act looked like a Professional Entertainer. Inade was Great like always. Seen Inade several Times and its always easy to drown in their sounds.
Anenzephalia was an absolute Highlight. One of the Best Concerts i've seen for a long Time. W. Herich, B. Moloch and i guess the Daughter of B. Moloch were on Stage and changed between Sound and Mic. Most Tracks have Vocals from one of them (W. Herich was on Mic for one Song), but the Last Song was an Duett between the other two. Really intense. Beamer showed Conspiracy Theorie Sequences. Fits perfect to the Songs.
Thought Murderous Vision would be a Downrade after such an intense Performance but the Show was good. Really enjoyed it.

k.p.g

Took a trip down to Baltimore, Maryland last night to catch Slacking & Private Collector on the miniature tour they are on right now.  They were joined on a mixed bill with several other local bands, so a friend and I were really there to catch the noise.  Took closer to the 2 hour end of things both ways, but both performers made things more than worth it to travel.

Slacking went first for the two, and delivered nothing short of a spectacular set.  Since 2023, I have had the pleasure of seeing Jim's sets develop from longform bursts of psychedelic noise into more refined journeys that dare to stretch the borders of noise and general experimental music.  Last night was no different, as tape loops and oscillator screeches brushed elbows with ritualistic drones and even calming passages of beats that felt very Boards of Canada to my ears.  Throughout the entire set, I thought to myself "wow, he's got things locked in.  I wonder if we are seeing songs for a future release."  Turns out, NO, we are not.  That was just a totally improvised occurrence.  MAN!  Now that is even more impressive to see; someone who has such total command of their sound palette that they make even winging it look totally intentional.  I am excited for my next chance to see Slacking after this, as I think that the forward-thinking nature of Jim's working process lends itself to expansion that will only guarantee a more improved result on the next outing.  But I should still say, this was definitely my favorite time catching him live up to this point.

Private Collector was an act who I was very curious to see after a promising release on Tribe Tapes and some thoughtful conversations exchanged.  What I could not have expected was to be totally floored by how hard he rocked it on this dreary Sunday!  Prior to the set, when discussing sound, he mentioned that much of what he is going for is the sound of multiple signals with high gain fighting for dominance in the mix. 

"Oh you, mean like Skin Graft?"
"Sort of, but my volume knobs are much lower."

Certainly were!  But funny enough, whether intended or not, the kind of hot-blooded intensity I would expect from the work of Wyatt Howland was present throughout this Private Collector performance.  It made for perhaps the most intense lowkey set I have ever seen.  Signals continued to push each other aside at a moderate hum, with each static change feeling like a seismic shift in the set.  There was some tape introduced, but it felt so buried in the mix of electronic decay that I imagined something akin to fidgeting around a broken tape deck to figure out why there's some hum whenever you try to enjoy some light listening.  Each choice that the artist made managed to build upon the previous one in such a thrilling manner.  By the time it was over, I could not believe what I had seen.  Such intensity!  Wow.  And here I thought that the Slacking set might have been the peak of it all.  Nope.  This fresh face delivered a knockout of equal proportion.

Not often is one treated to a touring bill that just blows you away on all fronts.  I hope to see more of these two on the road (and maybe on recording) together.  There is some sort of spiritual connection in their respective works that makes sense and elevates them both to greater heights.
Dead Door Unit
French Market Press
etc.

urall

Quote from: k.p.g on September 28, 2026, 04:15:58 PMTook a trip down to Baltimore, Maryland last night to catch Slacking & Private Collector on the miniature tour they are on right now.  They were joined on a mixed bill with several other local bands, so a friend and I were really there to catch the noise.  Took closer to the 2 hour end of things both ways, but both performers made things more than worth it to travel.

Slacking went first for the two, and delivered nothing short of a spectacular set.  Since 2023, I have had the pleasure of seeing Jim's sets develop from longform bursts of psychedelic noise into more refined journeys that dare to stretch the borders of noise and general experimental music.  Last night was no different, as tape loops and oscillator screeches brushed elbows with ritualistic drones and even calming passages of beats that felt very Boards of Canada to my ears.  Throughout the entire set, I thought to myself "wow, he's got things locked in.  I wonder if we are seeing songs for a future release."  Turns out, NO, we are not.  That was just a totally improvised occurrence.  MAN!  Now that is even more impressive to see; someone who has such total command of their sound palette that they make even winging it look totally intentional.  I am excited for my next chance to see Slacking after this, as I think that the forward-thinking nature of Jim's working process lends itself to expansion that will only guarantee a more improved result on the next outing.  But I should still say, this was definitely my favorite time catching him live up to this point.

Private Collector was an act who I was very curious to see after a promising release on Tribe Tapes and some thoughtful conversations exchanged.  What I could not have expected was to be totally floored by how hard he rocked it on this dreary Sunday!  Prior to the set, when discussing sound, he mentioned that much of what he is going for is the sound of multiple signals with high gain fighting for dominance in the mix. 

"Oh you, mean like Skin Graft?"
"Sort of, but my volume knobs are much lower."

Certainly were!  But funny enough, whether intended or not, the kind of hot-blooded intensity I would expect from the work of Wyatt Howland was present throughout this Private Collector performance.  It made for perhaps the most intense lowkey set I have ever seen.  Signals continued to push each other aside at a moderate hum, with each static change feeling like a seismic shift in the set.  There was some tape introduced, but it felt so buried in the mix of electronic decay that I imagined something akin to fidgeting around a broken tape deck to figure out why there's some hum whenever you try to enjoy some light listening.  Each choice that the artist made managed to build upon the previous one in such a thrilling manner.  By the time it was over, I could not believe what I had seen.  Such intensity!  Wow.  And here I thought that the Slacking set might have been the peak of it all.  Nope.  This fresh face delivered a knockout of equal proportion.

Not often is one treated to a touring bill that just blows you away on all fronts.  I hope to see more of these two on the road (and maybe on recording) together.  There is some sort of spiritual connection in their respective works that makes sense and elevates them both to greater heights.

Any footage of this ?  The description sounds great.

k.p.g

Quote from: urall on October 01, 2026, 12:35:22 PMAny footage of this ?  The description sounds great.
Nothing beyond some iPhone clips but both sets were recorded onto my Walkman.  Planning to dub some off when things are quiet on the home front again.
Dead Door Unit
French Market Press
etc.

Manhog_84

Tower Transmissions XII

Fun weekend at Dresden! The lineup and performances were quite varied, but the highlights amazing. Proper merch tables as well.

Friday:

Robert Revell - Most of the gig looked like the artist was fighting to get his gear working. Some of the sounds weren't bad, but the gig was an incoherent mess.

Green Army Fraction - This was great! Very simple setup and compact half an hour of buzzing and as traditional power electronics gurgling as you might expect.

Darja Kazimira & Zura Makharadze - A guy was hanging naked from the ceiling (not from his balls) and then jumped down and kept punching his face for the rest of the gig. It looked funny at least, and slightly dangerous too. Musically it was sort of ritualistic chanting and cacophony. Didn't sound bad but went on 15-20 minutes too long. The singer wore the festival pass and it was quite dumb-looking visual element.

Pain Appendix - Good gig, even though there were some problems with the mixing and bass drowned some of the sounds. I haven't properly listened to his albums yet (too many bands and albums in this world) but at least the Mechanisms for Mystical Messages tape was good.

Bomb the Daynursery - Excellent! Heavy smoke, darkness and only light source was at the analog gear table. These recent Roger Karmanik gigs have been great and my favorite has been BDN at Turku. I like the way he uses the lights and space to create a dark and suffocating atmosphere. My only gripe was the weird drum machine part at the end. The man himself looks like he has found a new spark and joy in life! A CD compilation of Bomb the Daynursery material was also released at the time of the event.

Prurient - Sharp and hard-hitting, with all the elements in place an executed with perfect professionalism. The themes of Prurient albums, and visuals as well, have always been quite weird and I don't really get them, but the gig felt like a cross-section of his career. The last song featured vocals by Moloch and metal percussions. Prurient is one the rare noise artists who can incorporate disco beats without making it sound out of place or lame. This was basically the kind gig of I hoped to see from Prurient.

Saturday:

Anna Gardeck - Visually eye-pleasing performance. Meaning the latex catsuit outfit, chains and red lights. The spanking looked a bit lame heh. Musically the best track was the more ambient one and I liked vocals. The occasional electronic beats were not for my liking. It would have been better to just left them out.

AntiValium - Boring, watched only couple of minutes.

Galerie Schallschutz - Some parts sounded like Inade, but I think vocals were unnecessary. It could be just instrumental. Not bad, but I wasn't familiar with the band and I can listen to Inade or Ex.Order instead if I want this kind of sound.

Ke/Hil - Very nice. Many said this was one of the highlights. I have never really listened to it Ke/Hil. Maybe because the band has always felt more of a side project to GO or Anenzephalia.

Dernière Volontè - Very gay and boring.

Linekraft - Last June, in the shadows of bigger events, XE performed an earth-shattering performance and I thought it's hard for anyone to top it as THE noise gig of the year. But Linekraft was right up there! Intense onslaught of industrial noise and very physical performance with a moment of danger, when the man climbed spontaneously on a top of wobbling speaker and kept shouting from there heh. What a great way to end the festival!

NedOik

Quote from: Manhog_84 on Today at 11:32:11 AMTower Transmissions XII

Fun weekend at Dresden! The lineup and performances were quite varied, but the highlights amazing. Proper merch tables as well.

As a time harried SOAB these are the kind of reviews i appreciate immensely. Great write up man! Already some videos up on You Tube - links dont seem to work when posted here. Here - they is. I notice the mighty Blaze Foley used as profile pic for the guy who runs that YT channel - a propos de rien.
----
"Its not punk, it's pure junk."

L'etranger  - Radio Panik - Playlists / Audio