advice for planning euro tour

Started by Nyodene D, October 12, 2011, 08:22:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nyodene D

Hi all,

Myself and a few others (rumors are Koufar and Murderous Vision) may set out for fair Europa together at some point this summer, doing two UK shows, four or five in central europe and then a short leg of scandanavian / northeastern euro dates.

I don't want this thread to really be about us specifically, but in terms of more "playing abroad" terms, especially from the perspective of US guys going to Europe for a few weeks.  

topics of interest:

- Visas / passports / paperwork
- Customs (merch)
- Rail travel
- Typical turnout / support of euro fans
- Language barrier a problem?
- Electrical issues
- currency
- dos and do nots?

Nyodene D

oh, and if it interests anyone, our theoretical / desired routing:

- UK (dorset)
- Amsterdam
- Dresden
- Berlin
- Prague
- Italy
- Lithuania
- Finland
- Sweden
- UK (london)

in the span of like two or three weeks.

P-K

Quote from: Nyodene D on October 12, 2011, 08:22:10 PM

expect the worst, it can only turn out better then :-D

FreakAnimalFinland

- Visas / passports / paperwork

Passport needed, generally USA citizen don't need visa for such countries you mentioned or any other paperwork than few things they may give while entering country.

- Customs (merch)

Never been a problem. In some countries it is illegal to show certain "symbols of hate", so overtly offensive merch to be either avoided or shipped in advance.
Don't expect things to fly out of your merch table. Depending on situation, sales may be ok, or may be nonexistent. Strong value of Euro currency may be benefit and help sell merch.

- Rail travel

There are things such as Eurail pass. Google for price options. This needs to be purchased 6 months before you come from USA and validated in first day of europe. It can't be bought from europe. That's too late then.

Depends totally on country, day, warm up's, venue etc. It must be just about same as in US. From 10 people to even 100+. Most organizers can't offer guarantees for bands with no local fanbase. So unless you're Prurient or Merzbow, forget about demands, and treat the tour as holiday. It's your own risk, where you may get free meals, free place to stay, and sometimes even some $$.
It really depends on "local scenes". In some places you may have stronger interest for PE/Industrial/ambient, while in other places it may appear to be so, yet there exists no people to go to shows of this type.

- Language barrier a problem?

No problem.

- Electrical issues

Try to get things that work on batteries or if not, get the box that changes voltage. Generally voltage & plugs are the same around europe, so one box will do it. We have more power here, so possibility to burn your gear exists if you don't take care of issue.

- currency

Not a problem. Credit card rule the game now. You can take cash from any ATM anytime. Euro works for majority of countries.

- Do's and donts

Don't expect success or getting your own back. Good time at the best. When nobody does it for money, pretty much every organizer does a sacrifice of time and money to help out. It's not good to make too many demands.

It might be best to focus on trying to get couple "major events", and set up rest of the things on the way and skip the places where is no point. I'm assuming doing all - south europe, north europe, baltic, etc.. it may not be that good idea. Travel takes so much time and money, so it will be probably cheaper and easier to do 2 tours separately, than do everything at once. Especially if you'd do railway, it would take ages to go from Italy to Finland for example. Planes may get expensive. If you book well in advance, you might get good budget prices for flights, yet often these cheapo flights are done to small airports, where you pay great deal of money to take bus to actual city.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

tisbor

Thinking about Italy:

European Railpass doesn't work on all italian trains because we're cheap thieves, check www.trenitalia.com for more info.
Language barrier here is quite strong: almost nobody speaks english.
I'm quite sure you'd always at least get free food and places to sleep all over Italy. Don't expect much money but you never know..
Also, personal advice for visiting Italy: don't be a vegetarian - you'd miss a good 70% of the fun..

any more questions about a possible italian tour send me a pm or email!

FreakAnimalFinland

oh, yeah, I keep forgetting that scandinavia ain't same as "europe".  Germany, Italia, France, etc.. there IS language barrier. Over here north, everybody speaks pretty fluent english.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Nyodene D

thanks for the advice so far guys! we're not really looking for much more than a fun experience, so losing cash isn't a huge worry.... if we get the Eurorail pass early and travel mostly on that, it's less a worry too (money is already spent, you know?)

I think regarding the italy-to-baltic, we've been looking at flights, aided by Mykolas from Body Cargo...

Regarding the length and scope of the tour:  we thought about limiting some of the dates (and we still might) but the fact remains that very few of us will be able to to swing two separate trips to europe, having the jobs and schedules we have.  we may consider some different routings or stops if they are limiting to us...

Essentially, this is a vacation we're all willing to take, so we're going to just have fun and hope europe is kind and fair to us, which it likely will be.

Goat93

Try to make as many Concerts as you can, since Nobody will drive long ways for Noise Concerts anymore. In truth, for most people it is too hard in the own town to move the ass.
And its morely around 5-40 People in Germany. Even Whitehouse plays for 40 if the Circumstances are not so good. Genocide Organ have better Followings, but otherwise its not really good. Other Bands tried also this Living Room Concert Thing, i think were fckng bstrds who played everywhere.

Just ask Pruirient maybe, he had a Europe Tour last year or so?

post-morten

Quote from: Goat93 on October 13, 2011, 08:22:45 PM
Just ask Pruirient maybe, he had a Europe Tour last year or so?

Nah, too high profile to be comparable. The one you should try to get in touch with and ask for advice is Michael Nine (MK9/Death Squad). He's been touring all over Europe on shoestring budgets more than once.

Nyodene D

good call, i'll shoot him an e-mail

ARKHE

Oscillating Innards+Unexamine did a massive Eurotour about a year ago, must have been over a month, check with them.

And don't be allergic to animals since you'll probably be sleeping on couches in living rooms most of the time.

rainbowbridge

i am also planning a euro tour for next year with nundata from serbia, so this thread is super helpful to me as well. thanks for all the advice!

we will be hitting up germany, italy and france for sure. we havent worked much else into the schedule just yet, though. i would love to go to the uk but i am not sure we will be able to because we have a specific driver for the whole tour.

youngnosh

Only comment i could make is;
Why UK (dorset)?
Best bet in my opinion for UK is doing London (which you're doing) and somewhere up north like Leeds or Manchester.
Id come to see you both even if you just played London to be honest but the larger cities up north (ie leeds manchester) seem to miss out on this type of stuff even though their not exactly small enough to miss.
Plus on a travelling side note - you have not seen the true England till you've seen the North, Londons he fucking disney land wrapped in cotton wool tourist version of England!!

Nyodene D

i just threw some kind of other city in there.  we're likely going to play with Witch Cult and Content Nullity, so wherever they want to play (Bournemouth perhaps...)

youngnosh

Its a bit off topic but id be looking forward to this - your last record was good.
Do you do live interpretations of recorded songs at gigs or is it improvised.