What are you reading

Started by Tenebracid, January 15, 2012, 08:40:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cementimental

Recently finished the entire of Harry Stephen Keeler's 'The Marceau Case" quadrilogy. The first two are spectacular. Mainstream pulp mystery novels written in the mid 30s which are more experimental than most 50s avant garde literature. Two entire novels without conventional third person narrative but rather presented as a dossier of newspaper clippings, telegrams, letters, photographs, short stories, advertising flyers, pages and pages of 'chinese' jokes, etc etc. If you google it you will quickly learn the 'spoiler' that it's about the 'flying strangler-baby' case, one of Keeler's most famously ridiculous murder setups, but the 2nd novel, "X Jones - Of Scotland Yard" presents an entirely different solution to the same murder, perfectly fitting the evidence in the first book but completely contradicting it. That 2nd book is the most thrillingly insane thing I've ever read, and the twist ending might be the most audaciously ridiculous in all literature.

the final 2 books in the series are more 'conventional' Keeler novels and only partly touch upon the Marceau case, sort of offering another 2 possible solutions / further preposterous details but nowhere near as deranged as the first two. Also lots of Keeler's ahead of his time anti-racism which of course he expresses by doing things like having a black/native american character who admires hitler

Antirealist

just finished the latest Victor Pelevin book 'A Trip To Eleusis', the last in trilogy, previous two are 'Transhumanism inc.' and 'KGBT+'. to characterize it as cyberpunk is note really correct, but it's the closest, add harsh social satire, thriller, reflections on the ideas of buddhism and metaphysics in general, offbeat fantasy and elements of hardcore naughtiness. unfortunately none of these three are translated. however if you are into psy-fi and culturally/historically dense weird whatever, try the few translated books, there are some in other languages than english as well. Pelevin is considered to be the greatest living russian writer by many and is smart enough not to live there. he was missing for years until journalists found him in Thailand, then he moved again. as with many other languages, there are untranslatable things in these texts, mostly the cultural context, idioms, slogans and obviously the ethymological puns. you might miss a joke or ten, but it is worth to read anyway. books are widely available, but the reviews can be misleading, you can't nail what is it about in a few sentences. my own favorite is Chapaev and Pustota, titles are listed below in recommended order for english readers. have fun!

- The Life of Insects
- Omon Ra
- Buddha's Little Finger [originally Chapaev and Pustota]
- The Yellow Arrow
- SNUFF
- Babylon or Homo Zapiens in another publication [originally called Generation P, there is a movie as well by the same name, recommended]
- A Werewolf Problem in Central Russia and Other Stories [a collection of shorts]
- Empire V [it has a sequel Batman & Apollo, i'm not sure is it in english already or not]
- iPhuck 10 [not sure about english translation]
- The Sacred Book of the Werewolf
- The Hall of the Singing Caryatids
- Helmet of Horror

Fields

Been trying to get back into the habit of reading more actively this year, instead of spending time online and what have you. Results vary but I'm hoping to reach couple dozen books by the end of the year.

Currently reading Yukio Mishima's Temple of Dawn. So far it hasn't grabbed me like either of the previous two Sea of Fertility books. The writing is beautiful as ever but so far it just sort of meanders with the travels and spiritual questions and such, without a clear heading like the elegance and dreaminess of Spring Snow or youthful virility of Runaway Horses. We'll see if it picks up later on.

Another one I'm chipping away at is Leena Krohn's Mathematical Creatures... collection of short stories. Part of the "Finlandia-challenge", I've been pleasantly surprised by this. Somewhere in the realm of scifi/spefi etc. but doesn't fall into any clear style. Very high-flying topics around existence, being, and such, but stories themselves are fun and don't feel needlessly dense. Don't think a comprehensive English translation exists but few stories have been translated to some collections.

TheGreatestThreat

I've stopped and started reading a few things this year, but the handful of things I've been picking at the last few months are:

Ferdinand Ulrich- Homo Abyssus: The Drama of the Question of Being
Costin Vlad Alamariu- Selective Breeding and the Birth of Philosophy
Nanne Tepper- Happy Hunting Grounds

As well as various papers/journals i have laying around since I can't stand looking at a screen to read. A lot of it has been personal research for releases I'm working on but it's still extremely rewarding to get through them (especially the Ulrich book) outside of that

FreakAnimalFinland

Mostly been reading Finnish written stuff, so seems little odd to talk about them in English. Currently reading essay book titled "Hajonneen maailman käyttöohje", which translates something like "manual for broken world". Many times when you got idealistic people, they see that society or world, could be fixed. That just as if we do X or Y, we will turn the direction.
In this book author feels very differently. He may be die hard deep green, but instead of focusing on delusions that climate change would be avoided with certain measures, or that balance of nature could be restored, he has other ideas. While he has been blamed to be given up, or pessimistic, he argues exactly opposite. He is critical towards this faith about better future or that past conditions are being restored. Instead, like the title says, it is manual for the broken world. How to navigate in new conditions, new environments, etc.   

In these times, when you got both pessimism and panic, that everything is fucked, everything is going down the drain - and then you have almost religious faith as if paradise could be restored on earth if we just try. In this book, angle is that what if the absolute best man can do, is adaptation to live within slow catastrophe.

Essays do not really provide preaching political solutions etc, but simply it may be personal observations how something broken, is not completely useless. How many idealistic and idyllic forms are not really what is to be desired.

Bottom line being that it is easy to declare end of the world, but more difficult if you realize it is not ending, just have to learn to cope to live within destruction and ruin.

I got few more essays to read to finish the book. Very varied topics, some more interesting than others. There is nothing "tough" in it. The post apocalyptic element may be as little as old forest being cut down by machines that gives him grief, yet in those vast empty slots, soon mushrooms flourish. We tend to value "elegant" and aesthetically pleasing, yet from perspective of other life, even the slices of city wastelands may be flourishing life and bio-diversity. It is just not seen in such way as untouched old forest.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: Fields on October 17, 2023, 02:07:30 PMBeen trying to get back into the habit of reading more actively this year, instead of spending time online and what have you. Results vary but I'm hoping to reach couple dozen books by the end of the year.

Currently reading Yukio Mishima's Temple of Dawn. So far it hasn't grabbed me like either of the previous two Sea of Fertility books. The writing is beautiful as ever but so far it just sort of meanders with the travels and spiritual questions and such, without a clear heading like the elegance and dreaminess of Spring Snow or youthful virility of Runaway Horses. We'll see if it picks up later on.

Another one I'm chipping away at is Leena Krohn's Mathematical Creatures... collection of short stories. Part of the "Finlandia-challenge", I've been pleasantly surprised by this. Somewhere in the realm of scifi/spefi etc. but doesn't fall into any clear style. Very high-flying topics around existence, being, and such, but stories themselves are fun and don't feel needlessly dense. Don't think a comprehensive English translation exists but few stories have been translated to some collections.

I think Temple of Dawn was the weakest of the series, at least from my first read-through (The Decay of the Angel being my favorite.  However, it does give some interesting glimpses into why/how Honda is motivated in his obsession, which sets up his character for the final book quite well.

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on October 19, 2023, 10:03:59 AMMostly been reading Finnish written stuff, so seems little odd to talk about them in English. Currently reading essay book titled "Hajonneen maailman käyttöohje", which translates something like "manual for broken world". Many times when you got idealistic people, they see that society or world, could be fixed. That just as if we do X or Y, we will turn the direction.
In this book author feels very differently. He may be die hard deep green, but instead of focusing on delusions that climate change would be avoided with certain measures, or that balance of nature could be restored, he has other ideas. While he has been blamed to be given up, or pessimistic, he argues exactly opposite. He is critical towards this faith about better future or that past conditions are being restored. Instead, like the title says, it is manual for the broken world. How to navigate in new conditions, new environments, etc.   

In these times, when you got both pessimism and panic, that everything is fucked, everything is going down the drain - and then you have almost religious faith as if paradise could be restored on earth if we just try. In this book, angle is that what if the absolute best man can do, is adaptation to live within slow catastrophe.

Essays do not really provide preaching political solutions etc, but simply it may be personal observations how something broken, is not completely useless. How many idealistic and idyllic forms are not really what is to be desired.

Bottom line being that it is easy to declare end of the world, but more difficult if you realize it is not ending, just have to learn to cope to live within destruction and ruin.

I got few more essays to read to finish the book. Very varied topics, some more interesting than others. There is nothing "tough" in it. The post apocalyptic element may be as little as old forest being cut down by machines that gives him grief, yet in those vast empty slots, soon mushrooms flourish. We tend to value "elegant" and aesthetically pleasing, yet from perspective of other life, even the slices of city wastelands may be flourishing life and bio-diversity. It is just not seen in such way as untouched old forest.

This sounds very interesting.  I assume that there is no translation to English?  What is the name of the author?

This seems closely related to something that I am working on personally, actually.

I assume that you have read about Speer's "theory of ruin value"?  It's just a short passage in his autobiography, but it becomes very interesting when you begin to think about it in an environmental perspective.

mag-maa

Annie Jacobsen's AREA 51 "an uncensored history of america's top secret military base"

interesting stuff, but sometimes feeling it goes a bit too much to unnecessary details - but surely the writer wanted to make it juicier. soon finishing with this. i have another one from the same writer waiting: Operation Paperclip "The Secret Intelligence Program that Brought Nazi Scientists to America" (interesting enough!)

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: Balor/SS1535 on October 19, 2023, 06:26:28 PMThis sounds very interesting.  I assume that there is no translation to English?  What is the name of the author?

This seems closely related to something that I am working on personally, actually.

I assume that you have read about Speer's "theory of ruin value"?  It's just a short passage in his autobiography, but it becomes very interesting when you begin to think about it in an environmental perspective.

Author is Ville-Juhani Sutinen. Not that much of Finnish literature gets translated and I would suspect every country has authors who deal with somewhat similar matters, although this one has a lot of kind of new'ish, somewhat fresh ideas and perspective. It is also in many ways Finland related. Depending on essays, it covers things like innovations in "artificial meat", companies that make vegetable "meats", Finnish style flea markets, recycling and excessive consumerist mania they theoretically oppose - in reality perhaps even advocate. Essays are wide variety of subjects, from fertility treatments when trying to have kid, into mushroom harvesting. Each topic may sound somewhat "uninteresting", but thing is that like in industrial noise releases, the topic itself is sort of like word you could get over with, and look into actual substance. Essays about collecting mushrooms or trying to have baby, are not really about that. Really good writing. Ville-Juhani Sutinen been known for couple decades and won awards and quite present in public too. I doubt people would know his name when being asked, but they might have heard or read his works without being really caring who he is. Recently he was in long interview at YLE radio show and being asked if he is pessimist and given up, due talking about accepting the broken world? He said not at all! Quite opposite. Endless amount of people have either angst or delusional hopes, that what can be done after _____. Add whatever scenario at the blank space. It's like people living entire life waiting "capitalism to collapse, and then..", "immigrant crisis to turn civil war, and then.." etc. Always sort of excuses that make one postpone actions and lifestyle changes. Instead of utopia (or dystopia) he'd discuss what can be done in the broken world. Where things are no more what they used to be, but it is still the only thing we got and situation one has to cope with. Analogies are good for a lot of things in life, and for many it is probably simply something very normal put into good writing.

This has very little in common with Speer. The ruin value, similarly spoken by bunch of other people of such direction (Francis Parker Yockey etc) had idea that even when the civilization, without doubt and without exception, eventually collapses, the next species or next generations of people would see the ruins of civilization as if gods walked on earth before them. Noble idea of course. What we have now, is like the population that is not gods walking earth, more like some sort of horse of anti-midas type of characters. Things they touch, doesn't turn into gold, but garbage. And in feverish mania they want to touch everything.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on October 23, 2023, 11:15:42 AM
Quote from: Balor/SS1535 on October 19, 2023, 06:26:28 PMThis sounds very interesting.  I assume that there is no translation to English?  What is the name of the author?

Author is Ville-Juhani Sutinen. Not that much of Finnish literature gets translated and I would suspect every country has authors who deal with somewhat similar matters, although this one has a lot of kind of new'ish, somewhat fresh ideas and perspective. It is also in many ways Finland related. Depending on essays, it covers things like innovations in "artificial meat", companies that make vegetable "meats", Finnish style flea markets, recycling and excessive consumerist mania they theoretically oppose - in reality perhaps even advocate. Essays are wide variety of subjects, from fertility treatments when trying to have kid, into mushroom harvesting. Each topic may sound somewhat "uninteresting", but thing is that like in industrial noise releases, the topic itself is sort of like word you could get over with, and look into actual substance. Essays about collecting mushrooms or trying to have baby, are not really about that. Really good writing. Ville-Juhani Sutinen been known for couple decades and won awards and quite present in public too. I doubt people would know his name when being asked, but they might have heard or read his works without being really caring who he is. Recently he was in long interview at YLE radio show and being asked if he is pessimist and given up, due talking about accepting the broken world? He said not at all! Quite opposite. Endless amount of people have either angst or delusional hopes, that what can be done after _____. Add whatever scenario at the blank space. It's like people living entire life waiting "capitalism to collapse, and then..", "immigrant crisis to turn civil war, and then.." etc. Always sort of excuses that make one postpone actions and lifestyle changes. Instead of utopia (or dystopia) he'd discuss what can be done in the broken world. Where things are no more what they used to be, but it is still the only thing we got and situation one has to cope with. Analogies are good for a lot of things in life, and for many it is probably simply something very normal put into good writing.

This has very little in common with Speer. The ruin value, similarly spoken by bunch of other people of such direction (Francis Parker Yockey etc) had idea that even when the civilization, without doubt and without exception, eventually collapses, the next species or next generations of people would see the ruins of civilization as if gods walked on earth before them. Noble idea of course. What we have now, is like the population that is not gods walking earth, more like some sort of horse of anti-midas type of characters. Things they touch, doesn't turn into gold, but garbage. And in feverish mania they want to touch everything.

All of his essays sound really interesting, especially given what you say about his general conceptual orientation towards a strange "new normal" in some ways.  Hopefully some of his work will eventually filter out to the rest of the world through translation.  (Or maybe I just need to learn Finnish already...)

Yes, it's definitely very different from Speer himself, but I have realized that his theory has survived in some weird ways among some environmentalists (or at least geologists thinking about environmental issues).  What some are doing now is trading the "great ruins of a civilization" for trash/plastic and then envisioning how they will be preserved and perceived as ruins in the distant future.  Apparently the sum total of human civilization in the future of Speer's imagining will have more in common with microplastic dust than Roman antiquity---according to them, at least.  It's not necessarily pessimistic either, but carrying Speer's theory to the end, it leaves one feeling as though nothing produced in modernity had much value in the first place!

RURAL RESISTANCE

Quote from: holy ghost on January 26, 2021, 04:43:14 PMRed Country by Joe Abercrombie - I loved this book. The First Law trilogy was great, the subsequent books were really fun but Best Served Cold dragged on just a touch, but this one was just great. Totally excellent from start to finish. Can best be described as a deranged western set in a Conan/GoT type universe. Probably the best one I've read in the series.

Bad Monkeys by Matt Ruff - Very Philip K Dick-ish, a fast and fun read, I REALLY liked this one.

Blue Light of the Screen by Claire Cronin - I have never read anything quite like this. Billed as a "creative-critical memoir" it's a hallucinatory journey, I don't know if I love it, but I definitely enjoyed it. Would definitely read more from her in the future.

I have to confess that I keep an eye on what holy ghost posts in this thread. It seems that we have a lot of similar interests what comes to books.

Been reading a lot of fiction this year. Developed a solid reading routine and it's been great. Just finished Piranesi by Susanna Clarke a couple of nights ago. It was a refreshingly original and mysterious novel. Lots of statues, liminal spaces and a contemplative main character.

BlackCavendish

V13 - Emmanuel Carrère

Just started reading this... It is a detailed account of the trial of the terrorists responsible for the attacks of November 13, 2015 (Bataclan and company).
I just went through the first chapters, all dedicated to the victims' depositions.
Structure seems similar to that of Murakami's "Underground", who did a similar work with the survivors of the Tokyo subway attack.

I like Carrère's style of writing, but we'll see if the book keep up to its premises in terms of content and analysis of the event.

nezalezhnye

"The Invention of The Jewish People" by Shlomo Sand.
Got this out of interest based on the strength of Arthur Koestler's argument in his book "The Thirteenth Tribe".
Both highly compelling arguments.

glycineevangelist

Quote from: Une Rose on February 03, 2022, 05:00:26 AM
Quote from: no_baizuo_allowed on December 06, 2021, 07:02:44 AMDugin "Liberalism 2.0" - rereading again & again. Utterly definitive critique of our times.

http://www.4pt.su/en/content/liberalism-20

Looks interesting. Book marked for reading later when I have the time.

Just ordered "Against The Modern World: Traditionalism And The Secret Intellectual History Of The Twentieth Century" by Mark Sedgwick. Looks like a good history lesson about the rise and continuing influence of traditional/perennial thinkers (ala Guenon, Frithjof, Evola, et al) in theology, philosophy, and contemporary politics.

Dugin's works have been referred to by some anons online lately as "Third Worldist Slavic Apeman Drivel", kek

Hakaristi

Ministry of Foolishness #1

Noise comedy zine? A short story detailing a woman's erotic journey of self-discovery while toying with an MS-20 makes up the meat of it. There's also fun aphorisms, spot-the-difference, jokes, readers letters of getting caught making noise... not sure if these are written from scratch or just replaced the sex with noise, but either way it works well. Some genuine "Laugh-Out-Loud" moments. And it appears the foolishness has now spread to Instagram where they host an equally hilarious meme page: https://www.instagram.com/ministryoffoolishness/