Noise format survey!!!

Started by xdementia, June 10, 2012, 12:41:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xdementia

FreakAnimalFinland

I think few questions will probably be quite obvious - depending genre of purchase.
"what you are buying the most" is probably about what is available. But it will be curious to see does that match to desire what one would prefer to buy.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

H.H*D.H

I personally prioritise cassettes and vinyl over cd's. I have so big cassette and vinyl 'to buy' list already and I don't feel the need to clutter it up with cd's that I don't even like to listen to. Of course, this brings some problems with some bands, for example Militia. They make amazing music but most of their releases are only on cd's and that leaves me with little of their material. But in the end, most of what I want is avaible on my preferred formats and as such I don't feel the need to change my habits.

xdementia

No, it's good. Please complete the survey even if you don't release anything. If you put what you would release IF you had a label it would be fine. Participation is key. Thank you!

enmity

If I am at a show I will buy whatever is available but if your asking me if if i had a choice of the same album on 3 formats, I would probably buy the vinyl before the cassette, and i would buy the cassette before I would buy the CD. I would would still buy the CD if the others was not available though. I always look at the time spent on artwork on the release in general..If it is just a blank cover with sharpie writing on it, I doubt I would buy any of it.

Andrew McIntosh

First things first - the music comes first. Whatever format you're offering, if I can play it, I'll buy it. Whether it's a bullshitly ornate sculpture with a tape stuck up its arse or a cdr decorated with a "sharpie", if your music interests me I'll want it.

Favourite format - online. MP3, FLAC or wave. Cheapest, easiest, most convenient, least hassle, best. No argument. This is how I like to put my own music out for those and other reasons, and I'm more likely to listen to yours as well if it's online.

Second favourite - cassette. I've always loved the convenience, warmth of sound, underdog status and universality of cassette. Still the only physical format you can re-use if you want to. Personal preference - anonymous cassettes of anonymous Noise left on trains, in laundromats, doctors' waiting rooms, etc. Many people these days don't use tapes (some don't even know how, I suspect) so there's a nice "fuck you normal people" aspect to it as well. The thought of some unsuspecting soul picking up a tape, actually listening to it and getting something from it is wonderful.

Third favourite - cdrs. Cheap, easy, convenient, little hassle. No argument. Pro pressed cdrs are good but I prefer to burn them at home. If there is an issue with longevity, just rip the damn music.

Fourth favourite - cds. Purchase only - sadly, in Australia one has to make over five hundred copies of an album to get cds manufactured as opposed to pro-pressed cdrs. Haven't found anywhere in this country that'll give you less than five hundred cds. But if you're putting out your music on cd, brilliant. Long lasting, great sound, convenient to post and to store. Not a great fan of jewel case for what that's worth, I prefer something smaller.

Least favourite - vynal. Costly to make, costly to post, costly to buy. Pretentious vanity items, really. Not that that'll stop me buying them, but I'd better want the music first.
Shikata ga nai.

RyanWreck

I felt like there were a bit too many choices here. Cassette or Vinyl would have sufficed instead of "Cassette in plastic j-case pro-printed" or whatever. I personally like cassettes but don't really care if they are handmade, pro-printed or if they come in baggies, jewel cases, etc. although most my collection is mainly handmade (as far as I know).

P-K

didn't really like the survey, too many choices, too much te same......i buy what i like? no?

for me personally (sound above everything) :

i'm a sucker for
-a thick slab of loud vinyl in a pro sleeve.....or THICK cardboard with nice screenprinting on it.
-pro cd in jewelcase with booklet, i allways like booklets, crds etc lol
-make that a lp in gatefold with liner notes

what i really really hate :
-thin floppy vinyl
-artobject-releases, lathe's,
-simple folded lpsleeves is those re-sealable bags....they allways stick to the content!!! they tear etc etc
-pixel artwork
-cheap digipacks, with flimsy printing, thin cardboard, bad glue
-luxury foil-blocked reliëf etc digipacks....they look so tacky, so Death In June-isch.
-crappy dubs
-no-effort-cdr's....why bother, just put it online!

ConcreteMascara

Quote from: P-K on June 14, 2012, 12:58:47 AM
didn't really like the survey, too many choices, too much te same......i buy what i like? no?

for me personally (sound above everything) :

i'm a sucker for
-a thick slab of loud vinyl in a pro sleeve.....or THICK cardboard with nice screenprinting on it.
-pro cd in jewelcase with booklet, i allways like booklets, crds etc lol
-make that a lp in gatefold with liner notes

what i really really hate :
-thin floppy vinyl
-artobject-releases, lathe's,
-simple folded lpsleeves is those re-sealable bags....they allways stick to the content!!! they tear etc etc
-pixel artwork
-cheap digipacks, with flimsy printing, thin cardboard, bad glue
-luxury foil-blocked reliëf etc digipacks....they look so tacky, so Death In June-isch.
-crappy dubs
-no-effort-cdr's....why bother, just put it online!

Gotta agree with you about 100%. The other thing I'm not a big fan of is oversized CD packaging that has no reason to be oversized, other than make it to big for a CD rack.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

Cementimental

obscure/obsolete/anti-record formats (8track,floppy,microcassette,reel,VCD etc) > locked groove vinyl > 7" > 12"/other vinyl > pro cassette > mini-cd/r > lathe cut > DIY normal CDr > DIY cassette > youtube > MP3/download > pro CD > pro CDr > 1-sided anything without some art/gimmick/concept for the blank side.

Half Aborted

Vinyl for more "grand" releases, tapes for more "low key" ones if that makes sense. I think CDs are best suited for music with a very digital or clean sound but usually I'd take tape over them. I'm proud to say I don't own a single lathe cut though, worse sound quality and I have to pay more? No thanks.

Ernpe

Quote from: Half Aborted on June 14, 2012, 09:08:23 PM
Vinyl for more "grand" releases, tapes for more "low key" ones if that makes sense. I think CDs are best suited for music with a very digital or clean sound

Quite much agreed. Tape I consider as somewhat ep's - fairy affortable, easy way to get know new artists and something I really don't expect to be the highest quality work of the artist. I somehow found it strange if certain record gets released first as tape and then very soon after as vinyl or cd - if the material is worth it, why not release the 'album' format in the first place.

CD-r's rot and for digital files I hardly have time, if interest.
Noise & other underground reviews in Finnish: http://box-is-record.tumblr.com/

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: Ernpe on June 14, 2012, 09:20:37 PM
if the material is worth it, why not release the 'album' format in the first place.

One reason is, that band or someone release a tape, label heard it and thought "this is too good being ltd 50 copies!" and put out CD. It's very unlikely all material would go through variety of labels before decisions are made. I find that more than often, releases are just done randomly. Someone asks band does he want to do release, band says "ok". Release happens, and not always in most satisfactory ways.
Also having album released as tape/LP/CD(/download) appears to be the right way anyways. If it aim to get music heard, why not offer it in formats customer wants? So much people who don't want LP's. And those who absolutely hate CD's. And those who prefer tapes over everything. Why do "vinyl only" to only serve those who can afford and like that format? There used to be some logic in such, but I think the logic is gone if you intended that material is accessible and can be heard in way how listener wants to experienced it.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

enmity

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on June 15, 2012, 08:57:26 AM
Quote from: Ernpe on June 14, 2012, 09:20:37 PM
if the material is worth it, why not release the 'album' format in the first place.

One reason is, that band or someone release a tape, label heard it and thought "this is too good being ltd 50 copies!" and put out CD. It's very unlikely all material would go through variety of labels before decisions are made. I find that more than often, releases are just done randomly. Someone asks band does he want to do release, band says "ok". Release happens, and not always in most satisfactory ways.
Also having album released as tape/LP/CD(/download) appears to be the right way anyways. If it aim to get music heard, why not offer it in formats customer wants? So much people who don't want LP's. And those who absolutely hate CD's. And those who prefer tapes over everything. Why do "vinyl only" to only serve those who can afford and like that format? There used to be some logic in such, but I think the logic is gone if you intended that material is accessible and can be heard in way how listener wants to experienced it.

I think it would be nice to actually have a choice in the matter when you are the customer, like many bigger bands in other type of genres I have seen them release vinyl with download card, CD, and cassette of the same release all at once. It would be smart to do that knowing you would have made everyone happy, but at same time very expensive doing multiple copies.

ImpulsyStetoskopu

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on June 15, 2012, 08:57:26 AM
Someone asks band does he want to do release, band says "ok". Release happens, and not always in most satisfactory ways.

Exactly. Sometimes I embroil myself in embarrassing situation because I begin with an offer to issue something but after listening arrived music I am not satisfy and I resign from this release.

Back to the topic, I don't favour any format. I think that CD is still the most usefull and popular medium. Personally I like tapes and recently I focus on that mainly.