Age survey

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, June 11, 2012, 10:11:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Desperate

Quote from: enmity on June 13, 2012, 09:03:56 PM
I can remember the first time i saw a catalog that had tons of music I have never heard of, ranging in the likes of goth, industrial, noise, PE, etc. It was an 4 or 5 pages of xeroxed paper stapled together. This catalog was for Armageddon Records in Chicago, at the time and besides ordering from relapse, the "Release" section where I got my first Brighter Death Now CD's Necrose Evangelicum, and Innerwar...I actually had a bigger pallet of artists to choose from. Also from buying the Brighter Death Now and listening to so much darkwave bands from Projekt records I found the holy grail for me that was Cold Meat Industry. From there it was all downhill. Cold Meat had many compilation CD's where I got to witness true noise and PE for the first time.

That was a great time...getting printed catalogs to browse through and see all of this stuff you had never heard of. I had quite a few of those old Projekt catalogs, and I remember getting most of my CMI stuff there. I also sent off for CMI catalogs, which had even more obscure (for me at that time) stuff. Aside from the usual darkwave stuff, Projekt usually had a good selection. I remember getting a Mortiis "Anden som" longsleeve from their catalog, as well as his "Reisen" vhs. Good times!

Zeno Marx

Sending off for catalogs and paperwork is something I really miss.  I started doing it in early childhood out of comic books.  It might very well be the way I began to create my own little worlds of interest and hobby.  As a kid, letters are mysterious things.  The first things you get besides holiday and birthday cards that are addressed to you and are yours.  No matter what it was, I usually had written for a catalog or two.  Stereo equipment.  Camping and climbing gear.  Music.  This year was the first in a long while that I received a huge catalog.  Massive, comprehensive catalog from Hilleberg Tents, including fabric samples.  I haven't seen a catalog like this for...I didn't think companies made catalogs like this anymore.  It's been that long since seeing one.  I lot of them are worth money now, and that makes perfect sense to me.  They're often more difficult to find than the products they sold.

Someone should make a book of the Artware catalogs.  Talk about a resource.  Talk about information.  I appreciate the zine blogs and mad scanners who operate them, but we don't have enough of the old catalog and mailer flyers documented from our past.  They're a part of this culture as much as anything.  Opening up a real letter and having a pile of flyers fall out of it.  Nothing like it.  It is greatly missed.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Steve

Ahhhh...catalogues, they were great weren't they, just pouring through them reading titles and (sometimes) descriptions then deciding what to buy come giro / pay day. I still have some Small Wonder Records catalogues from early 1980's and a couple of bootleg tape catalogues from prominent US bootleggers. Still great fun to read and laugh at prices! Mid 1990's catalogues from Artware, Tesco Org, RRRecords, Nuit Et Broulliard were such joys to recieve...almost like a release in their own right. (ha!). It is a shame that these things have all but disappeared. I still get packages full of flyers and stickers..mainly the Finns and Germans. I agree that there should be a web site with a collection of these things...or maybe book??
The Hilleberg Tents is a good name for a band.

Die Klandestine Reaktion

Quote from: acsenger on June 13, 2012, 08:27:18 PM
QuoteI am fond of the pre-internet time because since this is in existance a lot of "mystic" about such genres as noise or black metal is lost. Would not like to miss the interwebs today anyway.

I'm grateful for the internet as I could never have even learned about noise/experimental music without it. Getting familiar with black and death metal in the second half of the 90s in a town of 130 000 in Hungary was basically only a matter of money one could spend on tapes (being a high school student, CDs were too expensive for me), but buying experimental stuff in shops is pretty much impossible even today I believe. I would also be surprised if there were any mailorder companies in the country. The West is lucky to have a culture of good record shops, mailorder services and fanzines/magazines. For the rest of the world, before the internet I guess it was nearly impossible to even find out about experimental music unless one was lucky to know/meet someone already into it.
But yes, discovering extreme metal in high school in pre-internet times was a unique experience, finding out about this strange and "magical" world... and as the years go by, I guess I'll be even more nostalgic about it :).

Sure, i totally agree with you on this point. I got my first own and stable internet access in 1999 and since then, the knowledge about unknown bands and stuff did explode. Sure, for something that underground like noise, pe or even CMI stuff whatsoever, it is great to have the interwebs.
Anyway, it did for sure good work for myself and i am sure for MANY, MANY others too BUT black metal lost it´s merit - somehow.... sad but true,
there is not much left of the "occult" (which refers to clandestine) in it.

Die Klandestine Reaktion

Quote from: Desperate on June 14, 2012, 05:20:53 AM
Quote from: enmity on June 13, 2012, 09:03:56 PM
I can remember the first time i saw a catalog that had tons of music I have never heard of, ranging in the likes of goth, industrial, noise, PE, etc. It was an 4 or 5 pages of xeroxed paper stapled together. This catalog was for Armageddon Records in Chicago, at the time and besides ordering from relapse, the "Release" section where I got my first Brighter Death Now CD's Necrose Evangelicum, and Innerwar...I actually had a bigger pallet of artists to choose from. Also from buying the Brighter Death Now and listening to so much darkwave bands from Projekt records I found the holy grail for me that was Cold Meat Industry. From there it was all downhill. Cold Meat had many compilation CD's where I got to witness true noise and PE for the first time.

That was a great time...getting printed catalogs to browse through and see all of this stuff you had never heard of. I had quite a few of those old Projekt catalogs, and I remember getting most of my CMI stuff there. I also sent off for CMI catalogs, which had even more obscure (for me at that time) stuff. Aside from the usual darkwave stuff, Projekt usually had a good selection. I remember getting a Mortiis "Anden som" longsleeve from their catalog, as well as his "Reisen" vhs. Good times!

Same goes for me. I can clearly remember the day when we did our first call to NO COLOURS to get their "catalog" back in 1998. 5 A4 pages stapled together and of course with crude xerox design. Good days and worth to remember.

I remember getting a Mortiis "Anden som" longsleeve from their catalog, as well as his "Reisen" vhs. Good times!

Old Mortiis is the shit, still today. For me, it works. About the VHS, did you pay a hiliarious price too ? For us it was more then 20 Deutsche Mark.
I think, that would equal nearly 30 euro today. HA!!!

Half Aborted

I'm 20 now, got into noise aged 15. Started making it aged 17 but have barely released anything yet.

moozz

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on June 11, 2012, 11:48:29 AM
I was told not so long ago one of the C.S.I. tv series band Graveland was mentioned as part of story of involving east european extremism, hah!

Graveland was mentioned in West Wing and it was about American extremists :)

In the early 90's I liked artists like Skinny Puppy and Einsturzende Neubauten but wanted something more extreme. Being into death metal and such I also found Skin Chamber and I think their Swallowing Scrap Metal tracks were my first introduction to noise. Then in 1993 when I found out about the Internet I stumbled upon Usenet and the discussion group rec.music.industrial. There I found a thread about the most extreme artists/albums and Merzbow was mentioned. Just by accident I found in Helsinki one record store which had a promo copy of Venereology for sale and I bought it. Popped it into my friend's car stereo on the way back home and WOW. I was almost literally blown away. No turning back since then.

RyanWreck

Quote from: moozz on June 14, 2012, 10:10:08 PM
Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on June 11, 2012, 11:48:29 AM
I was told not so long ago one of the C.S.I. tv series band Graveland was mentioned as part of story of involving east european extremism, hah!

Graveland was mentioned in West Wing and it was about American extremists :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXrts7oiP-g

"I'm fairly convinced we're looking for 15 year old boys." lolz

ConcreteMascara

Hahahaha. Oh man I didn't know that actually made it on to the West Wing. They probably thought they had some real deep shit going there.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

Zeno Marx

Japankore is from the drummer of Dropdead.  One of the first people in the States to be into Japanese HC, and his interests bled into noise a bit.  A wealth of information, and I believe they were all free except the issue that came with an LP of Japanese HC of female bands.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

acsenger

Regarding the survey, I would be interested to know how many women are on this forum. I guess there would be a few?

Desperate

I remember getting a Mortiis "Anden som" longsleeve from their catalog, as well as his "Reisen" vhs. Good times!

Old Mortiis is the shit, still today. For me, it works. About the VHS, did you pay a hiliarious price too ? For us it was more then 20 Deutsche Mark.
[/quote]

Yeah, I love old Mortiis. I don't remember paying too much for the VHS. It was probably $20 maybe? It was a pretty boring video though. :)

Die Klandestine Reaktion

Quote from: Desperate on June 15, 2012, 02:59:33 PM

Yeah, I love old Mortiis. I don't remember paying too much for the VHS. It was probably $20 maybe? It was a pretty boring video though. :)
[/quote]

It was fucking boring XD but did work for us at this time. Overall it was somehow obscure and entertaining. Have to watch it again i guess.

post-morten

Haha! Did you know the director is here on the forum?

Strömkarlen

Quote from: post-morten on June 15, 2012, 09:27:24 PM

Haha! Did you know the director is here on the forum?

Well, thank you all. We could have probably have a shit load more of the filming if creating the face wouldn't taken the better part of the first day of shooting and second... this was before the mask.
And, yes, I find it boring as well :)