Anyone seen Merzbow live lately?

Started by Tommy Carlsson, April 15, 2010, 01:26:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tisbor

i've never seen him live but i suppose i would go , laptop or not.

curious about laptop pain jerk after your description kenny..

Tommy Carlsson

Quote from: Henrik III on April 16, 2010, 02:03:36 PM
Quote from: Tommy Carlsson on April 15, 2010, 01:26:37 PM
He's going to play Stockholm on May 16th
Anything else on the same occasion?
No support act for the Merzbow gig as it seems, but Dead Meadow are playing Stockholm the night before + the night after (May 17th) Wolf Eyes/The Black Bug/Lust For Youth are playing at Utmarken in Gothenburg.

Tommy Carlsson

Well, yesterday's gig was not that exciting at all. The volume was kept at very safe levels, but regardless of that the sounds themselves lacked any real punch. The set up was twin macbooks + analogue stuff, looked like the whole setup was run through a mixer, rather than using any of the computers as a mixer -- I could be wrong of course. Still, the whole thing was extremely lacklustre, going-through-the-motions and boring. I yawned several times.

FreakAnimalFinland

I wouldn't be surpriced if his sets are hit & miss. I would say the drastic volume is necessary. There are bands that can make it with just couple small amps. Live Merzbow is like Sunn o))), where volume plays significant role, or it won't be interesting. I guess the nearly-breaking speakers adds the necessary power to otherwise flat digital sounds?

I do like his addition of his analogue devices, yet I do admit that there is severe difference of his "decent live show" compared to some of his most amazing noise CD's.

There will be NEW Merzbow interview coming to Special Interest #4 (september). We'll be able to read his current ideas about noise and themes of his work etc.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Ritual

I thought the show was ok. But I definitely agree about the volume! The sound needed to be more physical. I did enjoy several phases of the show (but would have liked them louder), although there were a few boring phases as well like the beginning, for instance. All in all, decent show... but not more than that.