Record stores in Toronto

Started by acsenger, December 27, 2013, 05:39:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

acsenger

I'm spending a few weeks in Toronto. Are there any good record stores here? Thanks!

Steve

There are some amazing record shops in Toronto! You mainly need to stick to the Kensington Market area (if I recall ... I was there for 10 days in 2008) but they are littered about - I recommend She Said Boom - fantastic selection ... friendly counter service too, just ask them want sounds you want and they'll direct you.
http://www.shesaidboom.ca
Also take a wander down Queen Street  - wish I was going back there too...

Brad

Does She Said Boom sell noise/industrial/pe/whatever records?  I don't think I've ever bought anything there, but maybe I should pay more attention.

I went record shopping in Toronto yesterday. If you're there right now, tell me what you're looking for and I might be able to tell you if I saw it.  My favourite short record crawl is to walk Bathurst between Queen and Bloor: that takes you past the original big Sonic Boom (found a FFH LP there!) and near Soundscapes (on College), Neurotica and Rotate This (both on Queen).  The Kensington Market has the new vinyl-only Sonic Boom, and another record store called Paradise Bound, but I wouldn't consider it the major concentration of Toronto record stores as Steve apparently found it to be in 2008.  Since you're there for a few weeks, maybe check out some of the less central ones like LP's LPs (Ossington) and Vortex (Yonge & Eglinton).

acsenger

Thanks for the replies!

QuoteIf you're there right now, tell me what you're looking for and I might be able to tell you if I saw it.

I'll be in Oshawa in a couple days. I'm not looking for any artist/band in particular, only (mainly electronic) experimental music. I'll definitely try to check out the stores listed so far.

Steve

I went shopping at She said Boom & bought a Gastric Female Reflex LP & Throbbing Gristle "In The Shadow Of The Sun" original LP as well as some "punky" stuff and books on punk rock. I am addicted to secondhand vinyl - Toronto was a dream!