Industrial music vs. real life

Started by ImpulsyStetoskopu, May 06, 2016, 11:11:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ImpulsyStetoskopu

How do you think, has industrial music (noise, pe, postindustrial etc.) changed our reality, art, culture and people? I don't mean mainstream, only the micro world in which we are living. If so, what exactly?

Andrew McIntosh

It's an incorporated part of a whole for my life that has definitely had an influence upon it, just as my life has had an influence on what I record and occasionally perform. "Real life" is a fucking shitshow that needs strong medicine to palliate it.
Shikata ga nai.

cutter

i think that it has an influent on the "microworld" as you said, but i also think that the micro world, where we started had influent on the industrial music, and this genre will be feeded by the world and society for a long long time

Peterson

It's a two-way line of influence between "real life" and the stuff that goes into my ears. "Industrial music" happens to center around many of my areas of interest, witch can be explored more conveniently when being exposed to things by music. On the other hand, I find myself being inspired by my areas of interest in real life to explore them in the form of music. It's just a nice niche I've not found in other areas of music and in only compartmentalized areas of my personal life. Pretty much functions as an aggregate of things I'd like to be aware of.

Duality

Quote from: Andrew McIntosh on May 06, 2016, 04:45:49 PM
"Real life" is a fucking shitshow that needs strong medicine to palliate it.
Hear, hear!
Nonetheless, I think industrial has changed my reality certainly. I mean, its made me lead a slightly more isolated life, as it tends to go hand in hand with all my other people alienating hobbies. But I think it also feeds my incessant need to create. I can sit down at my gear and make something half listenable most of the time, and that keeps me at a base level of sanity that I would probably lose if I couldn't just scream into a microphone every day.

ImpulsyStetoskopu

Quote from: Andrew McIntosh on May 06, 2016, 04:45:49 PM
It's an incorporated part of a whole for my life that has definitely had an influence upon it, just as my life has had an influence on what I record and occasionally perform. "Real life" is a fucking shitshow that needs strong medicine to palliate it.

I see that industrial music has created your taste and shaped your world view.. but... If we see industrial music as the best form of misanthropy world view, are you misanthropy man in ordinary day too? How is this misanthropy in relation to activity here, on forum? Besides, does industrial music influence on your relation to women? Or, maybe industrial music has affected only on your general aesthetics?

Anyway, I am just curious, how such music like industrial music is able to change men, their relation to other people, environment, and last but not least, value system and ethics.

Duncan

Quote from: ImpulsyStetoskopu on May 06, 2016, 06:42:44 PM
does industrial music influence on your relation to women?

There's a very obvious joke to be made here.

Andrew McIntosh

Quote from: ImpulsyStetoskopu on May 06, 2016, 06:42:44 PM...are you misanthropy man in ordinary day too?

Yes, but unfortunately to have a hassle-free life I have to compromise, which means in practice not going around punching everyone out. To quote the comedian Kate McCartney, "I spend my days not being an arsehole".

Quote from: ImpulsyStetoskopu on May 06, 2016, 06:42:44 PMHow is this misanthropy in relation to activity here, on forum?

You don't have to be a misanthrope to be on this forum but it helps. 

Quote from: ImpulsyStetoskopu on May 06, 2016, 06:42:44 PMBesides, does industrial music influence on your relation to women?

It hasn't. 

Quote from: ImpulsyStetoskopu on May 06, 2016, 06:42:44 PMOr, maybe industrial music has affected only on your general aesthetics?

It more fits in with my general aesthetics, but originally it helped by allowing me to question and eventually reject a lot of previous notions I had adopted out of stupidity. My values and ethics I work out for myself, but since I indulge in a lot of Noisetc., it would be impossible for it not to have an effect at least subconsciously.
Shikata ga nai.

Bloated Slutbag

It's hard to say what tendency comes from where, but I will say that my appreciation of an arbitrary sense of real life certainly seems to be going strong. Industrial culture may or may not enhance this sense, but the pull cannot be denied. Possibly the only sure fire way of resisting the pull, no irony intended, would be jumping off a bridge; that soaring feeling once posited by Illusion Of Safety.
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

ImpulsyStetoskopu

Quote from: Duncan on May 07, 2016, 01:32:39 AM

Not intended. I didn't mean only "relation" which we know from noise/PE aesthetics. I can imagine that deep engaging in listening to industrial music is able to change (or accelarate) personality.... I think we could find examples with that.

ImpulsyStetoskopu

Quote from: Andrew McIntosh on May 07, 2016, 06:00:31 AM
It more fits in with my general aesthetics, but originally it helped by allowing me to question and eventually reject a lot of previous notions I had adopted out of stupidity. My values and ethics I work out for myself, but since I indulge in a lot of Noisetc., it would be impossible for it not to have an effect at least subconsciously.

I see. So, we can say that "industrial music" didn't change anything to you... maybe only it accelarated some attributes ?

Recently I think a lot about art, as phenomena in our life. How is it important for artist, and how important for receiver? I suppose that art is more important tool for a creator than for a receiver. I suppose it may be a source of crisis in industrial music (in art generally).

aububs

Quote from: ImpulsyStetoskopu on May 07, 2016, 07:18:42 AM

Not intended. I didn't mean only "relation" which we know from noise/PE aesthetics. I can imagine that deep engaging in listening to industrial music is able to change (or accelarate) personality.... I think we could find examples with that.

he's calling us all virgins mate. HE'S LAUGHING AT US.

Duncan

Quote from: aububs on May 07, 2016, 10:16:12 AM
Quote from: ImpulsyStetoskopu on May 07, 2016, 07:18:42 AM

he's calling us all virgins mate. HE'S LAUGHING AT US.

Yep.

But I know it isn't true and I listen to prog which is a far more reliable form of contraception.  Funny side note - I was purchasing a Wrong Hole 7" the other day and my girlfriend said 'it's surprising that a noise guy would think there could even be a wrong hole'.  She's right.

To answer to question though: I suppose if listening to noise/industrial/pe has done anything for my own life it's to have made me feel far more comfortable in my own views and the ability to deal with the fact that people and viewpoints that I disagree with exist.  I'm a pretty liberal and left leaning person and I feel a lot of that has been strengthened by listening to music which tackles 'controversial' themes.  To embrace the darker side of things - by which I don't mean getting excited over images of KKK members or nasty words pertaining to rape, but more accepting and looking at the part of the human psyche that wants to either avoid or dwell within such things - one is able to hone a particular kind of dialectical approach to their life and politics which might otherwise be stifled by fear.  It's often a conclusion that the result of this is to turn into a pissed of misanthrope and while I, like anyone else, have my moments, this is far from the whole picture for me.

All of this is to say nothing of the network of people involved in such music which is probably more influential than anything - direct contact with other people based upon a similar interest...but I suppose that is more obvious and should remain a separate discussion.

ImpulsyStetoskopu

Quote from: Duncan on May 07, 2016, 11:48:38 AM

I feel a lot of that has been strengthened by listening to music which tackles 'controversial' themes.  To embrace the darker side of things - by which I don't mean getting excited over images of KKK members or nasty words pertaining to rape, but more accepting and looking at the part of the human psyche that wants to either avoid or dwell within such things - one is able to hone a particular kind of dialectical approach to their life and politics which might otherwise be stifled by fear.  It's often a conclusion that the result of this is to turn into a pissed of misanthrope and while I, like anyone else, have my moments, this is far from the whole picture for me.
All of this is to say nothing of the network of people involved in such music which is probably more influential than anything - direct contact with other people based upon a similar interest...but I suppose that is more obvious and should remain a separate discussion.

This is hedonistic way. Of course there are many reasons why people decided to listen such music and every way should be accepted. My question(s) didn't suggest how people/listeners should treat industrial music, or how industrial music should shape its listeners... I was wondering this relation, its range and problem which I could describe: if there is any power in industrial music which is able to change people today?

aububs

Quote from: Duncan on May 07, 2016, 11:48:38 AMTo embrace the darker side of things...one is able to hone a particular kind of dialectical approach to their life and politics which might otherwise be stifled by fear.

yeh that's the positive side of listening to industrial, and how it can change your life, reality, general aesthetics etc.

Quote from: ImpulsyStetoskopu on May 06, 2016, 06:42:44 PMIf we see industrial music as the best form of misanthropy world view

and while there's nothing at all wrong with a bit of misanthropy, that's getting at the negative side, which can lead to the kind of close-minded, conservative, bigoted bullshit that so-called industrial fans often adopt, and that we see often on this very forum.

it's not what you asked, but the way in which you let Industrial music affect your life really depends on how much of an idiot you are.