Martial

Started by jake, November 22, 2010, 08:37:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jake

Am I missing something?
On paper, this genre sounds excellent, but in practice comes across so dry, boring, stale. I have only listened to a few martial releases but have been less than impressed with all of it. Can some of you provide me with some insight or essential projects/releases of the genre?

Nil By Mouth

Some suggestions

Karjalan Sissit
Wappenbund
maybe Linija Mass for the strong industrial element

linxtyx

Andrew McIntosh

Sophia. Probably the only project in the genre I have time for, mainly because of the deeper, slower use of samples I suppose. The first, self named album is fantastic to my ears.
Shikata ga nai.

blimp

how is it described on paper? i've only heard of Sturmfuhrer and it was pretty boring.

Niko

Older Der Blutharsch, Von Thronstahl and Karjalan Sissit are pretty good. But it's quite an crappy genre overall imo.
www.obscurex.org Noise, Power Electronics, Industrial & Experimental Label.

jake

Quote from: blimp on November 23, 2010, 07:40:59 AM
how is it described on paper?

It's always been described to me as moody, militaristic, fascist-influenced narrative sounds.
Yes, I checked out Sturmfuhrer and I could not get into as hard as I tried. 

jake

Thank you for the suggestions, I have a great deal to look into.

tiny_tove

Nobody has mentioned the roots

Romanha
Old Autopsia
Early In the nursery
Laibach (nuova akropola/opus dei/volk)
Early Test department
Non - In the shadow of the sword

CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0

Strömkarlen

Or In Slaughter Natives

Brad

Quote from: tiny_tove on November 23, 2010, 10:33:21 AM
Early Test department

These would be my choices for martial industrial.  But can you really call it all the same genre?  Laibach was using martial themes as an elaborate prank mocking fascism, whereas the modern projects like Sturmfuhrer tend to be a lot more literally pro-fascist, unless I have been misinformed. 

Andrew McIntosh

I would have thought Laibach would have gone without saying; show me a Martial group that doesn't owe anything to them. As for early Test Department, pure Industrial.
Shikata ga nai.

Nil By Mouth

Turbund Sturmwerk

A classic. The same title album and Weltenbrand are must own of the martial/industrial genre. Essentials!

tiny_tove

Quote from: Brad on November 23, 2010, 12:43:52 PM
Quote from: tiny_tove on November 23, 2010, 10:33:21 AM
Early Test department

These would be my choices for martial industrial.  But can you really call it all the same genre?  Laibach was using martial themes as an elaborate prank mocking fascism, whereas the modern projects like Sturmfuhrer tend to be a lot more literally pro-fascist, unless I have been misinformed. 

I am not referring to Sturmfhurer, but most of the projects quotes in this post are not active politically. They are more prone to extreme drunkeness and party.
CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0

RyanWreck

Quote from: blimp on November 23, 2010, 07:40:59 AM
how is it described on paper? i've only heard of Sturmfuhrer and it was pretty boring.

As such:

"Martial Industrial, also known as martial music, is a music genre originating in late 20th century Europe. It often borrows musically from classical music, neofolk, neoclassical, traditional European marches and from elements of industrial and dark ambient.

"Themes range from pounding, percussive soundtrack-like music to rally-worthy dark parade music to cabaret appropriate sexually-charged carnal declarations to mournful marches. Essentially, anything that could be made with traditional European martial instrumentation relating to the artists within this genre could be considered a part of this musical movement."

I can't get into Martial/Martial Industrial/Crypto Fascist/whatever, either. Everything I have heard is very drab and uninspired.