Classical (darker/heavier/obscure/less "traditional", etc.)

Started by SKY BURIAL, January 10, 2011, 05:47:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SKY BURIAL

Jón Leifs has been a favorite of mine for several decades with several compositions approaching near "industrial" intensity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4iFB5iW7ks

Some other favorites:

Krzysztof Penderecki - Threnody for the Victims of Hiroshima: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfBVYhyXU8o

Krzysztof Penderecki- Dimensions of Time and Silence: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UqQl0CNNCY

Krzysztof Penderecki- De Natura Sonoris No. 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suuwg24QHYM

Giacinto Scelsi- Elohim: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tScH89jmcVM

Giacinto Scelsi- Uaxuctum:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GZgbt9sTcY

Giacinto Scelsi- Pfhat: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnacs3kPg-I&feature=related

WCrap

i agree, most everything by Scelsi is gold, especially the string pieces and the fullblown orchestral works. The 3 volumes of his collected orchestral works on Mode records are a good introduction and easy to get.

Please check out greek composer Jani Christou, it doesn't get more brutal and darker than this.

Especially "Anparastasis III (The Pianist)" is amazing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVKGjaTp7AA&playnext=1&list=PL493325EB8206D635&index=5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBuzYfymZsc&playnext=1&list=PL493325EB8206D635&index=6

The CD of Christou's collected works on Edition RZ comes highly recommended and it is the only more easily available collection of his works. He died far too young in a car accident (just like his brother). Unfortunately only a small part of his compositions were ever recorded / performed.

xdementia

andy vomit

bach's cello suite no. 2 in D minor always takes me to a very dark place for some reason.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWrrxZJakO8&feature=related
thevomitarsonist.wordpress.com
danversstaterecordings.blogspot.com

Zeno Marx

Arvo Part is maybe the only one within a more traditional realm who gets close to the atmosphere and heaviness of Penderecki.  I've only heard a few pieces, but each have impressed me.  Anyone into him enough to be able to give a run-down of his work?  Make some informed recommendations?

Iancu Dumitrescu is more contemporary and along remotely similar lines.  I have several discs by him (and Ana-Maria Avram), and they're all high quality, interesting, powerful works.  He's about as consistent as I've found.  Minimalist density.  One of those who gives the old hi-fi a workout.  I think #1003 was my introduction to them.  Reminds me of a classical composer riding the rails with David Jackman.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

lungwash

Agreed on Dumitrescu, "Pierres Sacres" is an amazing piece for prepared piano and metal objects with loads of overdriven contact mics/feedback etc. Also "Medium II" for solo double bass has some great sounds.

kettu

Quote from: Zeno Marx on January 10, 2011, 11:59:41 PM
Arvo Part is maybe the only one within a more traditional realm who gets close to the atmosphere and heaviness of Penderecki.  I've only heard a few pieces, but each have impressed me.  Anyone into him enough to be able to give a run-down of his work?  Make some informed recommendations?

not a fucken chance but have you heard frates ,festina lente, summa? instect fiddles were my favourite for being so in your face.

does churchmusic count?!?
Oxford Camerata - Gesualdo - Complete Sacred Music for Five Voices choral stuff and very recomended. I  listened to this with good isolating buds at a hellish mall. very surreal because the tunes are so slow and overbearing. how heavy this is compared to penderecki is up for debate im sure. ive only had time to scratch the "classical musics" surface but this is defitetly one of my favs.

if church tunes count: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQmfHLpCQcU    cant get enough of this shit. also same stuff from ireland but in gaelig or whatever it is. I guess there could be a thread for eerier side of trad /church music but im not sure how many people are into it besides me a zeno. certainly has nothing to do with noise.

Andrew McIntosh

Have loved his later, "Holy Minimalist" work for a while now, although know very little of his earlier, more experimental pieces. If darkness is what people crave, the "Miserere" album on ECM is what you seek. The main piece, "Miserere", is over thirty minutes of slow build up to orgasmic apocalyptic choral tones, then back to long periods of silence and subtle, quiet music. Superb. Also on the album is "Sarah Was Ninety Years Old", an interesting piece that I suspect is reminiscent of his earlier work; a simple percussion (no information as to which percussion instruments unfortunately) beat, slow and soft and dark and distant, broken up by lovely solemn choir and organ passages. All up, a motherfucker of an album.

I think most people would be familiar with Part through his "Cantus In Memory Of Benjamin Britten" (which can be found on the ECM album "Tabula Rasa"; ECM is pretty much the main label for Part) , an extremely sad and lovely piece of slowly descending chords on strings. It was used as backing music in Michael Moore's "Fahrenheit 911", the scene where the people are reacting to seeing the buildings collapsing. It's a wonderfully sad and moving piece of music, almost impossible not to love.

For the most part, though, I wouldn't recommend Part for people looking for the dark and heavy. His music is emotionally moving, for the most part (he repeats himself a fair bit, and some of his stuff sounds a bit going-through-the-motions), but more uplifting than depressing. He has his solemn moments, of course; I'd recommend his better work to anyone in any case.

Part brings to mind the Hilliard ensemble, a vocal group that's performed and recorded a lot of his work. Their double disc "A Hilliard Songbook" has some interesting moments; the opening track on the first disc, "Un Coup De Des", composed by Barry Guy (whom I nothing about) is a bizarre range of voice going from soft choral to all out vocal gymnastics eventually verging on concrete poetry, all the while keeping a dark tone.
Shikata ga nai.

Travis Johnson

It's hard to get darker or heavier than Mahler's Symphony No. 2, a meditation on death and what may lie beyond, complete with deep, untuned bells and an expanded string section including lower-tuned double basses.
I'm quite fond of Ligeti's work, as well, particularly Mysteries of the Macabre and all of his works for strings.
There is also Robert Ashley. The Wolf Man is a piece for tape, voice and feedback from 1964 and Purposeful Lady Slow Afternoon is a piece of contemporary classical music that I would argue comes very close to power electronics territory!
Chopin's "Funeral March", from Piano Sonata No. 2, and Berlioz' "March to the Scaffold" from Symphonie Fantastique should be mentioned as well.

Zeno Marx

Quote from: Andrew McIntosh on January 11, 2011, 12:55:42 AMthe "Miserere" album on ECM is what you seek. The main piece, "Miserere", is over thirty minutes of slow build up to orgasmic apocalyptic choral tones, then back to long periods of silence and subtle, quiet music. Superb. Also on the album is "Sarah Was Ninety Years Old", an interesting piece that I suspect is reminiscent of his earlier work; a simple percussion (no information as to which percussion instruments unfortunately) beat, slow and soft and dark and distant, broken up by lovely solemn choir and organ passages. All up, a motherfucker of an album.
It's a nice one.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: WCrap on January 10, 2011, 08:11:22 PM
Please check out greek composer Jani Christou, it doesn't get more brutal and darker than this.
Especially "Anparastasis III (The Pianist)" is amazing

Very good! When you hear bands, that are labeled as "neo-classical" (in context of "industrial music", that is), most often you are nearly embarrassed about ridiculous approach they have. When you hear the actual avantgarde classical (or should it be rather described as western art music that it is, since it has already rejected most characteristics of classical period?), often you still wonder the deep rooted will to stick to "regular instruments".
Grand piano, obviously having the versatility to be both melodic and percussive, sharp and eerie,... violins, cellos, etc having very good sounds and variation to do things. Yet, when you look at the group of percussionists, you wonder, what is the nonsense of the kindergarden flashback marakassit & mini drums, hehe... I know they add certain textures, but I do wonder if the composer did state what exactly should be used and if cymbals and toms couldn't be replaced by something more "experimental" solutions. Which are not instruments per se, but could produce perhaps more interesting results in mix.

Surely, there are several composers who include electronics, tape manipulation and such among classical instruments, but I guess we may end up to another discussion. Not just "darker and heavier" classical, but contemporary art music.

With classical music, it is both easy, and extremely hard. Availability is enormous. Libraries are filled with recordings to take a look. Even in relatively small place like Lahti, I can walk to library, and check out any solo instrument or orchestras of various sizes, and there is pile of recordings to listen at well equipped listening room or borrow free of charge. The more obscure it gets, the less there seems to be interest, and some of darker and heavier material can be later purchased at the sales when they clear out shit nobody wants. Usually sold for like 1-2 euros.
Not to mention radio. Classical comes out non-stop, and I guess it is more of the night time, when in Finland some may want to check Ääniversumi or such programs which may include finnish or foreign contemporary art music, from "classical" to electro-acoustic to field recordings to electronica. There is (was?) one program in... saturdays? Which deals exclusively about classical music performed with wrong instruments. Cello sonates played with viola or violin, or some hand build ancient instrument of similar nature. When compositions done for 4 violins are transformed for 4 saxophones and so on. Every piece well introduced by guy who knows what he's talking about.

Many of the cities have some sort of music hall, also in Lahti our Sibelius House. I recall there was some Penderecki in their 2010 summer schedule, but planned visit for this.. ehm "gig" was late. About 2 weeks too late. It's not like those opportunities would be promoted within circles I usually get my information.

I guess I've mentioned this in other topics, like electro-acoustic/musique concrete, etc.. that noise & PE would probably benefit greatly from some influence of this kind of music. When you think about the setting such as Jani Christou's piece mentioned by WCrap, how much intensity they can build by the sense of space, ability go from quiet and suppressed to brutally intense. Very few of even cut-up noise artists manage do this with noise. One could perhaps think only R&G, Sudden Infant,... few others. Who have applied some of these methods.

And due the wish to hear such material, one probably just have to take measures in his own hands. During 2010 I completed album which is pretty much as close to ideal to my liking as I could reach. Now in pressing, to be announced next month :P
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

tiny_tove

Fausto Romitelli , representative of so called Spectral music:

I suggest: The Nameless City

LUigi Nono's "La fabbrica illuminata", is possibly one of the creepiest and best piece of contemporary music. I have witnessed an outstanding interpretation of it during the last Ars electronica festival in Linz in an ex tobacco factory in almost complete darkness. It really moved me.

Looking forward for Mikko's interpretation.
I have been using plenty of orchestral samples in the past, but trying to dehumanize them as most possible. At the moment I am more interested into ethnical sounds from mediterranean/slavic area.
CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0

m.

Quote from: Andrew McIntosh on January 11, 2011, 12:55:42 AM

Have loved his later, "Holy Minimalist" work for a while now, although know very little of his earlier, more experimental pieces. If darkness is what people crave, the "Miserere" album on ECM is what you seek. The main piece, "Miserere", is over thirty minutes of slow build up to orgasmic apocalyptic choral tones, then back to long periods of silence and subtle, quiet music. Superb. Also on the album is "Sarah Was Ninety Years Old", an interesting piece that I suspect is reminiscent of his earlier work; a simple percussion (no information as to which percussion instruments unfortunately) beat, slow and soft and dark and distant, broken up by lovely solemn choir and organ passages. All up, a motherfucker of an album.

I think most people would be familiar with Part through his "Cantus In Memory Of Benjamin Britten" (which can be found on the ECM album "Tabula Rasa"; ECM is pretty much the main label for Part) , an extremely sad and lovely piece of slowly descending chords on strings. It was used as backing music in Michael Moore's "Fahrenheit 911", the scene where the people are reacting to seeing the buildings collapsing. It's a wonderfully sad and moving piece of music, almost impossible not to love.

For the most part, though, I wouldn't recommend Part for people looking for the dark and heavy. His music is emotionally moving, for the most part (he repeats himself a fair bit, and some of his stuff sounds a bit going-through-the-motions), but more uplifting than depressing. He has his solemn moments, of course; I'd recommend his better work to anyone in any case.

Part brings to mind the Hilliard ensemble, a vocal group that's performed and recorded a lot of his work. Their double disc "A Hilliard Songbook" has some interesting moments; the opening track on the first disc, "Un Coup De Des", composed by Barry Guy (whom I nothing about) is a bizarre range of voice going from soft choral to all out vocal gymnastics eventually verging on concrete poetry, all the while keeping a dark tone.

totally agree, and I recommend also "Alina", a simple but effective piano piece