Is noise becoming a safe space?

Started by Stipsi, October 26, 2022, 03:08:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cranial Blast

Quote from: Manhog_84 on December 06, 2023, 10:54:01 AMTwo years ago there was some polemic in Finnish Experimental Underground Facebook group regarding FA releases. The conclusion was you cannot promote fascist label and the moderator started removing the posts. I think it was a classic case: the guy who moderates it, doesn't even put out any physical releases himself, because he probably knows as well that NO ONE wants to pay for his goofy sound wankery. He was (is) mostly living in Internet, surrounded by online feminists and seeing his Facebook posts, very insecure what he can say without offending his "social circles". For me this was an epitome of the whole online cancel culture phenomena and what kind of persons are behind it.

This whole cancel culture feels like the latest new thing for people who'd like to be militant in their activism, but from a keyboard or a safe distance. It's just the latest "thing" and like you say they feed off this garbage with their friends. In all reality I don't think any artists who have been censored care either.
I think there is this misconception out there that the ones who's shows have been cancelled or albums banned for sale have this ohhh no, poor me attitude and it's like now what ever shall I do?! I don't think that's the case for most. I think most have said fuck it and moved on and kind of expect that now considering where the world has gone. I never understand those other people though who get banned from social media and whine about it, why they were ever on social media in the first place? I think when an artist releases something controversial that they fully well know has the potential to create an uproar whether it's tasteless or for the matters of ambiguity, that it should almost be expected for hassel in the so called "normal" world and this notion you'd be free from any hassles... you should almost expect them. I'd think that should go with out say in most cases, but it's be becoming more complicated all the time, because everything seems to be somehow offensive now.

tiny_tove

Quote from: Cranial Blast on December 06, 2023, 03:44:25 PM
Quote from: Manhog_84 on December 06, 2023, 10:54:01 AMTwo years ago there was some polemic in Finnish Experimental Underground Facebook group regarding FA releases. The conclusion was you cannot promote fascist label and the moderator started removing the posts. I think it was a classic case: the guy who moderates it, doesn't even put out any physical releases himself, because he probably knows as well that NO ONE wants to pay for his goofy sound wankery. He was (is) mostly living in Internet, surrounded by online feminists and seeing his Facebook posts, very insecure what he can say without offending his "social circles". For me this was an epitome of the whole online cancel culture phenomena and what kind of persons are behind it.

This whole cancel culture feels like the latest new thing for people who'd like to be militant in their activism, but from a keyboard or a safe distance. It's just the latest "thing" and like you say they feed off this garbage with their friends. In all reality I don't think any artists who have been censored care either.
I think there is this misconception out there that the ones who's shows have been cancelled or albums banned for sale have this ohhh no, poor me attitude and it's like now what ever shall I do?! I don't think that's the case for most. I think most have said fuck it and moved on and kind of expect that now considering where the world has gone. I never understand those other people though who get banned from social media and whine about it, why they were ever on social media in the first place? I think when an artist releases something controversial that they fully well know has the potential to create an uproar whether it's tasteless or for the matters of ambiguity, that it should almost be expected for hassel in the so called "normal" world and this notion you'd be free from any hassles... you should almost expect them. I'd think that should go with out say in most cases, but it's be becoming more complicated all the time, because everything seems to be somehow offensive now.
agreed

i love being triggered, I am sad wokes can't feel the same excitement of feeling pure hatred for somethini I dislike that I'm almost addicted to that. A perfect world would turn all of us suicidal or heroin adicts
CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0

Confuzzled

It really is a shame that expressing your thoughts or "living your truth" by expressing your likes or dislikes is under a new social justice form of censorship. People getting cancelled for what they say or what they said 20 years ago coming back to bite them in the ass by losing their jobs or worse is just a fucking joke.

Cranial Blast

Quote from: Confuzzled on December 06, 2023, 05:20:53 PMIt really is a shame that expressing your thoughts or "living your truth" by expressing your likes or dislikes is under a new social justice form of censorship. People getting cancelled for what they say or what they said 20 years ago coming back to bite them in the ass by losing their jobs or worse is just a fucking joke.

When it comes to losing a job or being blacklisted is total bullshit indeed, but unfortunately that seems to be the direction we are heading in for at the moment. That will definitely change though depending how long we want cancel culture to stick around and keep pushing us around, because at some point cancel culture is going to implode within, just look at all of these giant retailers who got on board with BLM and all these woke ideals immediately after Floyd, some of these retailers are going down with the ship despite their massive losses of money and some are quietly trying to expunge the fact they ever said or donated to these type of causes in the first place. It's funny in Minneapolis there was this little mini Target store near the university area and this company Target stores inc. being the biggest supporter of wokeism, ironically has closed this location due to high theft, haha...they pretty much got behind as a company and supported these snap emotions of people who felt justified in mass looting and now ironically are removing these much needed resources in the area all together. I think this whole cancel culture is coming to a head...I have visions that 10 years from now that cancel culture will be awkwardly be remembered and those who supported the cause will go through great lengths to hide or bury that embarrassing fact.

ritualabuser

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on December 06, 2023, 10:20:51 AM
Quote from: EXU on December 05, 2023, 06:58:24 PMMost of the times when I see people bitch about "safe space" it boils down to being a coward about the repercussions of something (something inconveniences your extreme hatred for something/someone, how rude).

Repercussions of something is curious topic, as it appears that the exact people who intentionally seeks to destroy for example local scenes and cause trouble to everybody, are usually the ones who appear to pretend as if they are not doing so.

The "repercussions"/"freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom from consequences"-line more often than not seems to boil down to a hypocritical (typically leftist) justification for turning to state power or a higher authority than themselves to punish someone for doing something that offended them but couched in a smug, falsely detached/pseudo-intellectual sentiment. Anyone who believes that some kid should be doxxed and potentially have lifelong consequences for putting out some half-assed PEAC tape should be equally fine with a bunch of skinheads going down to some "noise against fascism" show or the likes and jumping people. Doesn't usually seem the case in my experience.

Cranial Blast

Quote from: ritualabuser on December 06, 2023, 09:13:06 PM
Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on December 06, 2023, 10:20:51 AM
Quote from: EXU on December 05, 2023, 06:58:24 PMMost of the times when I see people bitch about "safe space" it boils down to being a coward about the repercussions of something (something inconveniences your extreme hatred for something/someone, how rude).

Repercussions of something is curious topic, as it appears that the exact people who intentionally seeks to destroy for example local scenes and cause trouble to everybody, are usually the ones who appear to pretend as if they are not doing so.

The "repercussions"/"freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom from consequences"-line more often than not seems to boil down to a hypocritical (typically leftist) justification for turning to state power or a higher authority than themselves to punish someone for doing something that offended them but couched in a smug, falsely detached/pseudo-intellectual sentiment. Anyone who believes that some kid should be doxxed and potentially have lifelong consequences for putting out some half-assed PEAC tape should be equally fine with a bunch of skinheads going down to some "noise against fascism" show or the likes and jumping people. Doesn't usually seem the case in my experience.

That's just it though, they are not okay with that sort of psychical retribution being aimed against "them" in return for their doxing and what not. Those types of people just want to throw rocks at a lion in a cage, but then squeal "hate crime" when it's against them and like you say they look for the backing of higher authorities to intervene, so that when violence should it in fact happen they make sure they get justice from local authorities and with the help of the media, so that the next guy who wants to act out in the same manor, sees what happens as a consequence and obviously doesn't want anything to do with those levels of consequences and how can you hardly blame them? 100% of this cancel culture to me is just rooted in anti-white sentiment and the reason why is because they want this illusion of "equality" where everybody is equal! Total utopia!...Unless your straight white male...then you're a hindrance in the way of their progress. None of this is concoindence either! Look at how the west wants to educate children from grade school to college, if you can scare and mentally beat adolescents to believe in some woke bullshit, years later there will be no resistance! Communism is very patient!

EXU

Quote from: ritualabuser on December 06, 2023, 09:13:06 PMThe "repercussions"/"freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom from consequences"-line more often than not seems to boil down to a hypocritical (typically leftist) justification for turning to state power or a higher authority than themselves to punish someone for doing something that offended them but couched in a smug, falsely detached/pseudo-intellectual sentiment.

I wouln't say "more often than not" but I agree. The basic internet "leftist" is a coward and a hypocrite of the highest order, totally immersed in the culture of virtuous cosplay or something like that. Being basically in a leftist bubble I do find myself hating much more the cancel culture and "everything is beautiful" keyboard warriors than a bloke making a sieg heil while drunk or goofing around.

Quote from: ritualabuser on December 06, 2023, 09:13:06 PMAnyone who believes that some kid should be doxxed and potentially have lifelong consequences for putting out some half-assed PEAC tape should be equally fine with a bunch of skinheads going down to some "noise against fascism" show or the likes and jumping people. Doesn't usually seem the case in my experience.

Everyone knows skinheads only target people alone, that's not really realist, but the cancel/doxx culture is a cancer and one that no one learns anything from, just virtue signalling most of the time.

But my big question is: Does the "problematic" artists see this all as the listeners of "problematic" see? Isn't all this just more of a kind of promotion than something truly annoying even? I usually see listeners and kids complaining, not the acts, but then the "naziest" forum I'm in is this one (hahaha, cheer up).

ritualabuser

Quote from: EXU on December 09, 2023, 05:43:52 PM
Quote from: ritualabuser on December 06, 2023, 09:13:06 PMThe "repercussions"/"freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom from consequences"-line more often than not seems to boil down to a hypocritical (typically leftist) justification for turning to state power or a higher authority than themselves to punish someone for doing something that offended them but couched in a smug, falsely detached/pseudo-intellectual sentiment.

I wouln't say "more often than not" but I agree. The basic internet "leftist" is a coward and a hypocrite of the highest order, totally immersed in the culture of virtuous cosplay or something like that. Being basically in a leftist bubble I do find myself hating much more the cancel culture and "everything is beautiful" keyboard warriors than a bloke making a sieg heil while drunk or goofing around.

Quote from: ritualabuser on December 06, 2023, 09:13:06 PMAnyone who believes that some kid should be doxxed and potentially have lifelong consequences for putting out some half-assed PEAC tape should be equally fine with a bunch of skinheads going down to some "noise against fascism" show or the likes and jumping people. Doesn't usually seem the case in my experience.

Everyone knows skinheads only target people alone, that's not really realist, but the cancel/doxx culture is a cancer and one that no one learns anything from, just virtue signalling most of the time.

But my big question is: Does the "problematic" artists see this all as the listeners of "problematic" see? Isn't all this just more of a kind of promotion than something truly annoying even? I usually see listeners and kids complaining, not the acts, but then the "naziest" forum I'm in is this one (hahaha, cheer up).

I'd definitely agree on being "banned" from whatever socially-accepted media/streaming service should be seen as a job well done more than something to complain about. If you were attempting to reach a wider audience, which I could see being your only complaint if your stuff isn't allowed to be sold on disczogs, posted on YouTube, or streamed on Spotify, then you picked the wrong mode of expression to do so. In any case, I do believe that places like disczogs should have remained as they were prior to a few years back and that no release were banned, be it because it's a bootleg or because of it's content. Maybe the biggest thing I have a problem with in all of this is the "reverse bully"/nerd rage attitude where any bit of perceived "power" is abused in the extreme.

Regarding your comment on skins only going to beat people when they outnumber them, leftists/antifa are pretty notorious for that as well. I'd chalk it up to people that join these larger "label" movements being part of a group/herd mentality to begin with.

EXU

Quote from: ritualabuser on December 09, 2023, 06:34:04 PMRegarding your comment on skins only going to beat people when they outnumber them, leftists/antifa are pretty notorious for that as well. I'd chalk it up to people that join these larger "label" movements being part of a group/herd mentality to begin with.

Can't agree more.

Balor/SS1535

Maybe we should frame this whole thing in the positive: (some) noise is becoming more extreme in relation to society.  It shows that it is a medium still capable of producing dramatic rupture.

tiny_tove

Quote from: ritualabuser on December 09, 2023, 06:34:04 PMRegarding your comment on skins only going to beat people when they outnumber them, leftists/antifa are pretty notorious for that as well.

I wonder which kind of skins have you met in your life.
CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0

Zeno Marx

Quote from: Balor/SS1535 on December 09, 2023, 09:09:55 PMMaybe we should frame this whole thing in the positive: (some) noise is becoming more extreme in relation to society.  It shows that it is a medium still capable of producing dramatic rupture.
I like this. Good take. It leans into the question I have about whether other message boards exist...almost entirely...because of both the original question and your post. There's clearly a necessity and desire for the fracture, and why is that? This question is neither rhetorical or comes with subtext. I guess to answer it with any kind of utility, people who won't/don't like to post here would have to also answer.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: Zeno Marx on December 09, 2023, 09:36:03 PM
Quote from: Balor/SS1535 on December 09, 2023, 09:09:55 PMMaybe we should frame this whole thing in the positive: (some) noise is becoming more extreme in relation to society.  It shows that it is a medium still capable of producing dramatic rupture.
I like this. Good take. It leans into the question I have about whether other message boards exist...almost entirely...because of both the original question and your post. There's clearly a necessity and desire for the fracture, and why is that? This question is neither rhetorical or comes with subtext. I guess to answer it with any kind of utility, people who won't/don't like to post here would have to also answer.

Exactly.  And I don't think I can answer it other than by saying that instead of this becoming another culture war battlefield, it should be a call to just make great noise.