Keränen

Started by Dan J, June 02, 2011, 12:25:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henrik III

AFAIK, it should be on 22nd and would guess in the club program (have forgot to clarify this, åh). Some really interesting things in the program.

I'll spend next two weeks in Stockholm recording, cutting and splicing. Let's see how södermalmized I'll come out...

Henrik III

Correction, Keränen will play on friday evening, pardons for confusion.

post-morten

My usual luck... I was planning to come on Saturday, but can't make it on Friday. You don't happen to have any more public performances planned for your weeks in Sthlm, do you?

Henrik III

Another PJ Harvey case, I recon.

At the moment nothing else fixed but will be back for the last two weeks of the year so maybe something could be worked out. Finskajävlajulskinka eller någonting.

Tommy Carlsson

I had to get drunk quite fast to be able to stay sane in the Kulturhuset atmosphere. Rescued Tommi and went to Malmskillnadsgatan (the hooker street of Stockholm) to find a place to drink. We found the russian themed KGB bar, actually the first time I have been there. Nice but semi-expensive. A couple of glasses of wine + some Standard vodka was all we had time to get before we "had" to get back to the artsy people. Lots of black clothes, horn-rimmed glasses, turtlenecks and bad postures. There was a bar also, and I made sure to give the bartender some extra tip, I felt sorry for the guy who had to work in that environment.

The first act was two guys with what sounded like acoustic guitars + percussion. Pretentious and awful, so I remained faithful to the bar.

This is my tax money paying for this stuff, by the way. I think it's cool that my money is paying for Tommi to come over here and give a show, but he's not even mentioned in the program ffs. These guys were.

Up next were two girls playing elaborate turntable setups under the name Vinyl Terror & Horror. Perfect loopy stuff for any tipsy person, and I was impressed with their set. Looking at discogs, I see they have a bunch of records out, I think I'll grab them soon.

Then Tommi played a solid set of laser-y harshshit. The volume was limited to 100 db, due to these prissy sound environment yada yada laws of Sweden. Tommi even turned the sound down after a few minutes to ask if the PA was even on. After that it got slightly louder/better, but it could have been a lot louder if you ask me. Like I said, laser was promised and laser was delivered via the Serge synth Tommi had borrowed from EMS + his trustworthy Sherman filter bank. Contact mics + heavy fuzz arsenal coupled with the Serge sounds made for great multi-layered wreckage of the highest order. I was rather wrecked myself by this time, and I enjoyed the set a lot. I feel sorry for the noise geeks who missed it.

Then the night continued with more focused drinking at Södermalm, at an old water hole I hadn't been to in some time. Drinks were handed out, I met people I haven't seen in years, good times, more drinking, more haze, finally stumbling through the back streets while my eyes (turned the colour of frozen meat by then) stopped working.

Please note that I have abstained from using the word artfag in this post. Oh snap.

post-morten

Tommy/Tommi -- sorry to have missed out on what appears to have been a pretty epic night. But it wasn't for seeing PJ Harvey (I do admit liking this damsel though, and have seen her a couple of times in the past)... we had a since long planned social event at home including 11 kids aged 3 to 6, which left me probably just as wrecked as you guys. Great report btw.

Mattias G

What a good record "Moon Over Torrelorca" is. Beautiful and haunting at the same time. I have regularly come back to it since it came out.
Are that any other Keränen recordings that sounds familiar with this record?

strangerules

Quote from: Mattias G on April 19, 2012, 02:45:24 PM
What a good record "Moon Over Torrelorca" is. Beautiful and haunting at the same time. I have regularly come back to it since it came out.

my favourite record of the past several months. so much value in replaying it over and over again to experience every nuance!
www.strangerules.com
cassettes/sometimes vinyl.
understanding since 2011.

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: Mattias G on April 19, 2012, 02:45:24 PM

No. His published recordings are such a small amount that there is basically just one release of one type of thing?

1) Green Car Crash tape = great heavy and dense noise. Makes me want to compare it with As Loud As Possible or Ministry Of Foolishness!

2) Bats In The Attic = total blast of lazer noise -> piercing harsh noise synths

3) Moon Over Torrelorca = minimalistic ambient. Recorded around same time with CD above.

His work under name "Rulla" was 3" tour CDr for Japan. Split CD with Montage - which both are nice, but hardly to be compared to two very good noise tapes he did on Trash Ritual and Harsh Head Rituals. Or any of the above mentioned.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Mattias G

The term "lazer noise" have always made me scared and i have never liked such sounds until a few months ago when i bought a Hecker LP and R/S LP on PAN. If that counts as lazer? But i have slowly beginning to like it in very small doses. Kind of refreshing to listen to after all "filthy" and "lofi" stuff most people do. So maybe i have to pick up "Bats in the attic" then.
And i will listen to the HHR Rulla tape again, it was a long time ago and i think i would appreciate the sounds more now than when it came out.

Jaakko V.

Bats in the Attic is 110% lazer noise all right, but somehow it still has this corrupted, rougher aspect to it. It's not sterile or digital sounding at all really. Great sound!

FreakAnimalFinland

It's sharp loud and crispy. But like said, it's all huge vintage modular synths. It avoids the traps of most of synth noise, being highly active, very detailed and textured. When you think of it, I would say it is actually quite hard to say another release which would have taken similar approach, although on surface level you could file it simply in harsh noise.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Kazuma_Kubota