PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baglady

Despite repeated promises to my girlfriend about saving money for a trip, I simply can't avoid looking though distro lists... These are the ones I've listened to the most lately.

KERÄNEN - Green Car Crash - C30 (Erratic Sproadicism)
You've got to like this guy. Every release has its own approach, and the approach of this one is a rather gritty affair. One side a bit faster, the other a bit slower paced. Interesting all the way through. Unfairly overshadowed by Bats in the Attic and Moon over Torrelorca (which ofcourse are just as brilliant in their respective ways). Not much else to say really.
ONE DARK EYE - Manic Depression - CD (Ljud & Bild)
Besides a few snippets on youtube, this was my first encounter with this side project of Mr. Stella. Not the opposite, but maybe the calmer but none the less deranged sibling, of Macronympha. A modern and well known reference could perhaps be... Altar Of Flies? And as for the label L&B, what an output!
MAURIZIO BIANCHI - Menses - LP (Menstrual)
A rythm here and there, shitty synths, boring (in a good sense) atmosphere... Not as good as Neuro Habitat or Endometrio in my book, but I like it.

and an old favorite rediscovered while sorting through my shelves...

ORNETTE COLEMAN - I Grandi Del Jazz (nr 11 in the series) - LP (Fabbri Editori)
Brilliant live take recorded in Croydon, at the Fairfield Hall, 1965. The band is great, and Ornette really shines here. Lots of emotion. Comes very cheap too, I believe.

ANDROPHILIA

Quote from: Baglady on March 10, 2014, 09:45:06 PM

ORNETTE COLEMAN - I Grandi Del Jazz (nr 11 in the series) - LP (Fabbri Editori)
Brilliant live take recorded in Croydon, at the Fairfield Hall, 1965. The band is great, and Ornette really shines here. Lots of emotion. Comes very cheap too, I believe.

great series of LP. I have something of this collection
-ANDROPHILIA
-LIM DUL

"Give me crack and anal sex
Take the only tree that's left
and stuff it up the hole
in your culture" 
(L.Cohen)

FreakAnimalFinland

AMPH "Hudson" tape
Joy De Vivre
Tape manipulations and rugged sounds. One side noisier, one side quieter. Both sides very good! One can always criticize that this type of stuff is suffering from abundance at the moment.. But I'm sure quite soon when things shift again, one will miss the current era of pearl after pearl coming from several artists in this direction.

V/A PERDO OMNIS - Collection of Post-Apocalyptic Music
Obscurex?
At least distributed by Obscurex, but compiled & assembled by other Niko behind magnificent Sonno Ferrum compilation. This could be even better than that? Kind of part 2, with theme focusing on type of noise where electronic gadgets and processing/effects are minimal. Instead, fierce location recordings, manual tools, power tools, all sorts of loud, dirty and apocalyptic waste sounds. Some of the stuff is simply phenomenal. Like Vivenza kind of industrial, but after the futurism collapsed into rust and decay. Some is percussive, some noisier and harder. Brilliant! I'm kind of amazed that demand for this release has been much less than Sonno Ferrum tape. My advice: get it!
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

eyestrain

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on March 11, 2014, 12:19:36 PM
AMPH "Hudson" tape
Joy De Vivre
Tape manipulations and rugged sounds. One side noisier, one side quieter. Both sides very good! One can always criticize that this type of stuff is suffering from abundance at the moment.. But I'm sure quite soon when things shift again, one will miss the current era of pearl after pearl coming from several artists in this direction.

V/A PERDO OMNIS - Collection of Post-Apocalyptic Music
Obscurex?
At least distributed by Obscurex, but compiled & assembled by other Niko behind magnificent Sonno Ferrum compilation. This could be even better than that? Kind of part 2, with theme focusing on type of noise where electronic gadgets and processing/effects are minimal. Instead, fierce location recordings, manual tools, power tools, all sorts of loud, dirty and apocalyptic waste sounds. Some of the stuff is simply phenomenal. Like Vivenza kind of industrial, but after the futurism collapsed into rust and decay. Some is percussive, some noisier and harder. Brilliant! I'm kind of amazed that demand for this release has been much less than Sonno Ferrum tape. My advice: get it!

Spot on; in regards to all comments. Get these!

ricjaff

Quote from: eyestrain on March 10, 2014, 02:48:05 AM
Bastard Noise Our Earth's Blood IV (Cathartic Process): Found this behind the shelf today; forgot how great this was/is. Don't really need much else from BN, when I have this.

Completely agree; it is their best. Though I like Rogue Astronaut because I am a Twilight Zone nerd, so I can get behind a concept album about it.

FreakAnimalFinland

ORQUERE "movements" tape
Dokumentarisk Agenda
I recall someone said better than their CD? And while CD was and IS great, I probably have to agree! Brilliant "loop industrial"!

CONCERN "Crude Vignettes: box-harp & speakers" tape
Dokumentarisk Agenda
Fierce sounding drone. Sounds weird when I type that, but indeed, it's very grim, very broken sounding, but at the same time so delicate & airy sounding drone and "micro sounds" clatter. Tape is too short for this kind of stuff!

PUCE MARY / BROKEN LIGHTS split live tape
26.2.2014 live in Stockholm. Full color covers. Broken Lights is some of the best things heard lately and Puce Mary, despite some sloppy live mixing, is great stuff to listen to.

BROKEN LIGHTS "3 circles" tape
Posh Isolation
So, this is really one of the best things lately heard. It has the tape loops, rough sound quality (in good way), vocals, vintage synths, etc. At times one could mention bands like Anenzephalia or even some less aggro works of G.O., but perhaps REALLY one should rather talk of Posh Isolation bands in same sentence. I believe "hipster" has been mentioned somewhere (hehe..), but I suggest any die hard industrial-noise/euro-PE boneheads to try get over any prejudises. This is simply brilliant.

FECALOVE / SSRI split tape
Untergeschoss
Fecalove is a bit hit and miss. Good moments, but.. well, hit and miss! SSRI on other hand is like finnish equivalent of most stuff mentioned above. So lets remove a bit of artsy edge and add little bit more brute barbaryan force and depression and you got SSRI's angle to grey and bleak rotten hiss.

And some more...

hkso

Broken Lights / Puce Mary is not official tape.... just document of live recording I did. I did insert on my job while having a coffee break. I've sent master + covers to both acts so it is up to them if they want to spread it or not...
Great recordings however. Performance took place in worst hipster venue in Stockholm - needless to say it was worth enduring... very powerful sound and first class live action from both projects.

I've played Broken Lights tape on Posh Isolation often. He also did some private releases both as Broken Lights and Corrosion - both are great and worth checking out. I think Tordon Ljud maybe still have them in stock. I'm not really into the Sand Circles stuff but BL is fresh dope.

Later this week I hope to come with review of the new Broken Lights and Third Eagle (HSV side project) tapes from newly founded Blodörn.

Händer som vårdar - Depopulation (Obscurex)
One of the swedish acts that never disappointed me so far. Bit more laidback and structured this time but actually more enjoyable than previous releases in my ears. HSV seems to have worked a bit more with synthesizers this time but it is still the dirty tapeloops and trademark HSV sound. Get it before its sold out!

FreakAnimalFinland

WHITE GIMP MASK / VOKSMORG split tape
Terror
Obscene cover artwork is so tasteless, it really sticks out! Hah! WGM is actually very good!  I don't know what else I have heard from him, but this offers such decent harsh noise blast that I'm willing to get some more. Hardly any personality in it, but just decent harsh noise.
Volksmorg in comparison sounds slightly flat and directionless. It has more "song feel" to it, but so many noises appear like live testing of some equipment and pulling out sounds what doesn't really contribute anything good. Theoretically ok, but I think both guys do better stuff as solo work!

UN REGARD FROID "La Feminite Moderne" tape
Nil By Mouth
Haven't checked out who this is, but while I'm dawn to like the industrialized rhythm loops and themes sort of female loathing (hehe.. ), but at the same time messy effect filled method of composition is so full of delay, reverb, artificial distortion and such, it begins to take toll from brutal force. I'm sure loudly dubbed tape format adds the necessary charm to the sound what on digital medium  would lack. Still decent tape, especially if one is into modern "power electronics" sound.

THE STREETCLEANER "Ehre" tape
Untergeschoss
Fuck, 2012 release already? Been on shelves waiting for listening. I think vocals get quite annoying at some point. Distorted into messy high pitch screamo what takes too much attention from noise itself. While A-side seems kind of one dimensional, crumbling heavy distortion wall with those vocals on top, B-side offers way more diversity and makes it way more interesting. However, the same vocal sound and style on top of noise starts to take too much attention while noise itself would have more to offer - even as pure instrumental.  But still curious where band has progressed during last couple of years?

mdtdeath

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on March 13, 2014, 02:17:59 PM

THE STREETCLEANER "Ehre" tape
Untergeschoss
Fuck, 2012 release already? Been on shelves waiting for listening. I think vocals get quite annoying at some point. Distorted into messy high pitch screamo what takes too much attention from noise itself. While A-side seems kind of one dimensional, crumbling heavy distortion wall with those vocals on top, B-side offers way more diversity and makes it way more interesting. However, the same vocal sound and style on top of noise starts to take too much attention while noise itself would have more to offer - even as pure instrumental.  But still curious where band has progressed during last couple of years?

You're right, Mikko i think vocals in that release and in a couple of other the streetcleaner tapes are too much boring in a long time.
At the moment the project is on hiatus 'cause i've fucked up my throath with these high pitched vocals (for real), i'm slowly workin' on something more in the veins of new B U and Sadistic Bliss, with very low vocals :)

mdtdeath

XENOPHOBIC EJACULATION - SS Divion Wiking/TRE Skinheads 1983 (RE CD)

SiClark

WGM is actually very good!  I don't know what else I have heard from him, but this offers such decent harsh noise blast that I'm willing to get some more. Hardly any personality in it, but just decent harsh noise.
There are some very good harsh noise tapes from his label WGM Tapes & Vinyl (website has been down for a while though). I found some one selling lots on ebay in the UK. Streetmeat and Russian Greed tapes are great too.

FreakAnimalFinland

SEXDROME "on what draw" tape
Posh Isolation
Kind of like it, but all Sexdrome stuff however is this kyrvästä sisään ja toisesta ulos stuff. Raw noise-punk what some people these days may even call "black metal" as it occasionally sounds like Ildjarn. But not memorable classic tunes really.

VENESSA AMARA "Both of Us" tape
Posh Isolation
Occasionally, and perhaps increasingly, I see people making remarks of trendy Danish stuff, and as if popularity of PI label would be undeserved. However, for me, label has put out perhaps only interesting "techno" out there, kind of post-punk things what makes Finnish trendsetters of that style look utterly lame. Some of the best PE and noise works as well. And things like this, short tape of noble organ music - but with underground touch. If someone likes stuff like first piece on Militia "New European Order" or such, this is most likely suitable listening material. Slightly blurry and distorted, sometimes gives you this "anyone could do it" -feel, but fact appears that nobody else does? If I have to choose between organ works of H.Nitch or this, as heretical as it may sound to those who bow in front of big boys, I'll choose Venessa Amara. Who or what exactly that is. Tape could be longer, though!

ENCEPHALOPHONIC "Shikkan Denshi Kogaku" tape
Audio Dissection
Great stuff once again. Another release I believe I have listened, but never commented. Razor, metal wire, regular tape of perhaps c. 20 mins long is it? Dynamic harsh noise from Italy, for those who like their stuff a'la Pain Jerk, Kazumoto Endo, Macronympha, older Sickness and such. Heavy on metal junk, but fast cuts, filter noises, distortion. Tasty changes of stereo/mono qualities, quick loops and physical noise sounds. Certainly tape worth to get.

andy vomit

BRIGHTER DEATH NOW - kamikaze kabaret
SLEEP - dopesmoker
MY DYING BRIDE - as the flower withers
GENOCIDE ORGAN - live in japan 2007
thevomitarsonist.wordpress.com
danversstaterecordings.blogspot.com

STREETMEAT

WHITE GIMP MASK / VOKSMORG split tape
Terror
Obscene cover artwork is so tasteless, it really sticks out! Hah! WGM is actually very good!  I don't know what else I have heard from him, but this offers such decent harsh noise blast that I'm willing to get some more. Hardly any personality in it, but just decent harsh noise.
Volksmorg in comparison sounds slightly flat and directionless. It has more "song feel" to it, but so many noises appear like live testing of some equipment and pulling out sounds what doesn't really contribute anything good. Theoretically ok, but I think both guys do better stuff as solo work!

no other WGM material really sounds like that(started as HNW). gave hal hutchinson some material to release but havent heard from him in a very long time. maybe SS Salt c47 would come close.but new tapes that are in the works include:
WGM/HHL split c90
Sacred Conversation c10&c30 (WGM+Respirator live collab)
Streetmeat+Hal Hutchinson collab c10
Taint Tickler c20(WGM+Vat+Sleep live in studio collab)
+more

but since of work and family more session are going to be streaming then physical releases.
http://whitegimpmask.bandcamp.com/
https://soundcloud.com/wgm-tapes-vinyl

HOGRA

ANAL CUNT "Very Rare Rehearsal From February 1989" cd 
RJF "Greater Success In Apprehension & Convictions" cd
FRANK ZAPPA "Waka/Jawaka" cd