purpose of reviews

Started by ImpulsyStetoskopu, October 23, 2012, 07:45:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bloated Slutbag

Have also said before that SI's greatest contribution to noisekind, and it is such a wonderful resource-slash-repository, is the commented playlist. And might I also take this moment to toot that back in the days of the un-commented playlists I'd strongly advocated for commented playlists (likely one of several attempted self-retirements from the long-winded diarrhea of the keyboard that has long plagued the digits*), of which I believe SI can take credit for being the first to finally implement (and a big ol' shit hat's off for that!).

But just to pull my previously issued parenthetical aside out into the open, given the general trajectory of online discourse, when it comes to simply spewing words on the subject of sounds how could it possibly matter in what form/platform** those words are to be spewed? To be consumed at different measure for different purpose at different interval (single fire-emoji optional).

Still I'll put in a word for the formal review, emphasis on the formal, cuz I'd say that the formality might tend, at least for some, to attach a degree of personal responsibility (or anyway "attachment") to the spewage***, and how that may or may not dovetail****, as the comments of a certain blumpkin'd personage back at ye olde S&W might indirectly imply.

* there is a philosophy behind that, which has also occasionally been articulated if not again here today
** all threads to be found on SI & similarly minded forums, discogs, bandcamp, noise now playing, wcn discord &c &c &c
*** or if not commitment per se than er committal so to speak
**** quote hey there jay!!
Lick my ass dickhead. No, but seriously, you can go fuck yourself.Caught your review of my submission for the __________ ___ comp.You stupid bleeding-cunt fuck. Well, I suppose we all have our opinions, thought I'd share mine with you. end quote
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

FreakAnimalFinland

I can't even estimate how many reviews I wrote since about '92. Back then, zine with reviews was almost like extension of writing letters. You'd be recommending stuff to people, and most stuff you could not know to exist unless someone mentioned it in zine. I have been burned out on writing reviews so many times. Never burned out on listening records, but that "obligation" to analyze can get old, if you just wanted to enjoy what you heard. Playlist comment is just perfect. No obligation to analyze, but you may still have handful of worst to say why this particular title got repeated plays etc. Even now, after repeated rotations of K.Mizutani "Cemetery" LP, I don't feel I want to analyze it, but I most definitely would want to recommend it to people. First, to mention it even exists. Second, that it is damn good. Third, possibly selfish reason to that I got couple copies still here... haha.. Barely business, just that perhaps some Finn don't have to pay international shipping for LP they want to check.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net