PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

locustfurnace

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on December 30, 2014, 12:39:51 PM

KDP KOMMANDO demo
Finnish black metal-noise what could be perhaps lumped into category of RIVOLOGI or GENSERIC etc..  Utterly distorted and damaged sound, reminding more blurry noisecore recordings or even harsh noise. But riffs, vocals and actual music here. Swastikas, Siitoin kult and overall nasty stuff including tracks like "juden animal type", haha.. Don't expect noble nsbm. Just offensive chaos.

Any more info on this? Links to anywhere selling it?

FreakAnimalFinland

As far as I know, band member only. Edition was very small. I was promised handful of copies, so lets hope so...

SICK SEED "Technological Singularity" mCD
Untesgeschoss
First real release of the new form of SS! And it is very very good. I think mix & sounds are excellent. Perhaps sort of free-form bass noises on first songs sound a bit "goofy" at first, all in all, release is good example that with this small range of ingredients and following of traditions of industrial musick, you can still stand out quite different from everybody else. So only obstacle for SS what I can see, is how to keep compositional aspects interesting. Meaning, that full length album with same kind composition, bass playing over sound loop and vocals following quite similar pace from song to another, for album perhaps something what will break the pace or structure could be needed. For mCD, this works great. Piercing noisiness of final track's opening is intense.

BIZARRE UPROAR "Amputaatio" CD
Filth & Violence
Continues where he left last time. Slow paced, dark and suffocating slowly moving noise. But this time no long quiet rumblings, but it has force and filth all the way through album. Two long tracks use some real instruments. Drums, bass, etc. But this is less music than in previous efforts. More brooding industrial-noise. I'd think safe to say this could satisfy also many who thought last two was too laid back or "musical" efforts?

ÄTTESTUPA "Musik For Tomma Rum" LP
Järtecknet
Perhaps least good Ättestupa, but still nice album of lofi organ music and raw sound experiments.

STREET DRINKERS "Dead Secrets" 12"
Posh Isolation
Slow, out-of-tune, sloppy post punk. Easy and pretty "old" two tone riffs going on and on, with howling Joy Division-esque vocals. Ok for 12". Roughness of sound has its charm. But hardly music I'm that much into.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

martialgodmask

Have been listening to IRM - Closure, BDN - With Promises of Death, Brandkommando - Three Strikes and You Are Out, Scott Walker with Sunn O))) - Soused and Pharmakon - Bestial Burden heavily over the last few days. No expanded comments right now, just to say all range from very good to ridiculously brilliant with IRM being particularly superb.

FreakAnimalFinland

BRIGHTER DEATH NOW "Necrose Evangelium" pic LP
fucking warped piece of crap. I strongly dislike those "pic LP sleeves" what react on vinyl surfaces, stick on vinyl itself etc. This has been unplayed at shelves for quite long. As I do have the old versions. Not even sure why I took this, but perhaps fact that this might be best BDN and therefore any excuse for next play, hehe.. Great album. Works on pic LP sound too. Too bad it was heavily warped now.

WHITEHOUSE "Birdseed" 2xLP

Susan Lawly
Another record what hits to high ranks at band discography. Maybe not from "all times", but from kind of semi-later days of Whitehouse, this playes sharp and strong from vinyl, and is pleasure to listen!

RADIO WEREWOLF "The Lightning And The Sun" LP
Unclean
Possibly the best RW release? Got bunch of them, and some material is just... ehm.. well, not aged well. I just wonder how come cover and discogs lists 3 songs per side, but there is just 2 per side? This kind of gloomy orchestral loops, industrial leanings and odd sounds I'd rather listen than sort of gothic vibes of some RW releases.

BURNING STAR CORE "Papercuts Theatre" 2xLP
No Quarter
Especially side III is very nice. It's sound collage made out of 66 live gigs of this free-improv group. To me, 3rd side seems to somehow capture feeling of nice cut up frenzy with band improvising sounds, taken from various quality recordings and mixed in fast paced collage. Somehow quite different stuff than other BSC what I remember from my own collection.

acsenger

Teresa RampazziMusica Endoscopica (CD, Die Schachtel)

Electroacoustic music made between 1970-1980. Quite calm, not hectic like a lot of this kind of music. A fascination with the sounds and possibilities of massive and expensive machines producing electronic sounds comes through. Comes in a very nice silver box with an informative booklet.

Altar of FliesAltar of Flies (LP, iDEAL Recordings)

A great album of careful yet sometimes noisy analogue tape/concrete music. Evidently a lot of work went into this release. I'm kicking myself for not buying Rabbit Hole in a record shop abroad when I saw it last year cause it ain't cheap to get now.

Roberto ColomboSfogatevi Bestie (CD, Sony Music)

Grabbed this based on sound samples and I sure don't regret it. Recorded in 1975 and apparently included on the famous Nurse With Wound list, this is kind of a (mainly instrumental) prog rock album with some influences from Frank Zappa. The instrumentation is great, the compositions are clever and the sound is good too. Only the last track is a bit of a letdown with its circus-like central theme which sounds out of place.

Bizarre UproarVihameditaatio (LP, Urashima)

What a great and unusual album! I've read that some people think it's too "musical", but even if it's not harsh noise, it's far from "music" and, what's more important, it stands on its own as an interesting album with a threatening and menacing atmosphere. A lot of the time tension is building without a climax and this restraint on violence works really well. I also like the use of drums and what might be a bass guitar.

bile

Arv & Miljö "Antropocen"
Dynamic industrial-tinged Harsh Noise/heavy soundscapes. Interesting use of field-recordings and natural sound. I have not heard their recent LP on Posh Isolation, although from the description I don't believe I have any interest in hearing it. Love this material far too much to hear what came before it.

Hostage Pageant "At Fault"
Flawless Harsh Noise from Shane Church. One of my favorite live acts, fantastic label-head at Amnesia Program, and craftsman of a unique (yet orthodox) USHN sound. Depravity released this tape last year and it still gets weekly plays.

Xenophobic Ejaculation "Purity Through Fire"
Not much need to describe this tape/CD (I assume most have heard it by now...). Glad to own this masterwork on cassette (#9/88) as it is the strongest XE material to date. Lots of brilliant textures buried underneath the insulting layers of feedback. Although I generally hate musical elements in my Power Electronics, the snare patterns are a nice touch and never overstay their welcome. Undeniably some of the best PE from last year.

Skin Graft + Plague Mother "Kingsbury Ruin"
Two of the most interesting projects in USHN collaborating on this 2xCS via Compulsion Rites a few years back (too lazy to check the date of release at the moment...). Fabulous collaboration...Harsh Noise how I want to hear it. Dirty textures that continue to pulverize without cuts, edits, or too much unnecessary movement. The control and attention to aural detail is astounding.

bile

Quote from: Peterson on January 26, 2015, 10:21:46 PM
Quote from: bile on January 26, 2015, 02:01:47 PM
Arv & Miljö "Antropocen"
Dynamic industrial-tinged Harsh Noise/heavy soundscapes. Interesting use of field-recordings and natural sound. I have not heard their recent LP on Posh Isolation, although from the description I don't believe I have any interest in hearing it. Love this material far too much to hear what came before it.

I haven't heard the LP you're referring to, but I have to say, if you like any Arv & Miljo at all, I definitely recommend checking out basically anything. I have some of the earlier tapes, and they totally fit your above description. I seriously believe you'd be missing out to not hear Oppna Vattendrag at the very least.

Love "Oppna Vattendrag", I've enjoyed everything I have heard that is on the heavier end of the spectrum. I am talking about the "Kropp" LP, which out of my own ignorance I have not heard due to not being very enticed by the description. Stupid on my part...need to stop being so stubborn.

bile

V/A "Resistance And Self-Destruction Are Synonymous"
One of the best compilations of 2014 courtesy of New Forces. Some of the strongest current projects within the international Harsh Noise world...standout tracks are by Action/Discipline, Wince, Heinz Hopf, Being, Mordant Karma, and Plague Mother. Essential listening for both casual and fanatic listeners of the style.

Ghost "Hard Smoke"
Great HNW from France (although I could stand for the length to be longer than a c20). Orthodox pieces set in a slow, dreary pace...very gloomy wall-making. One of my favorite tapes from Ghost.

Private Archive "Honey Aspic Enema"
Very nice guys, very nice tape. I am not generally a fan of heavy electronics with such prominent dance/industrial elements, but PA pull it off very well with the sleazy vibe this tape pushes forth. Some very beautiful "melodies" on here...ominous and creepier than hell. Live show is absolutely excellent too...

FreakAnimalFinland

Einstürzende Neubauten "Haus Der Luege" LP
Potomak
Remastered version 2002, of release that originally came 1989. Starts with track one could accurately describe NOISE. Album offers lots of different kinds of stuff, and some lean more to almost dancy sort of stuff, but also gloomy percussive works etc. Not bad at all. But no my favorite E.N.!

ANENZEPHALIA "Funkspiele" LP
Tesco
Pretty sure I have written about this not too long ago. Anyways, such a great live album. Project was always good in their live recordings, sometimes even better than some studio works?! Essential works.

CINDYTALK / PHILIPPE PETIT LP
Lumberton Trading Company
A-side I like quite a lot. Grand piano and experimental electronics. B-side isn't as good. This has very light and warm feel to it. Nothing dark or oppressive. A-side I can live with it. Rotated it 3 times, but b-side felt like once was enough. It just seemed little bit too nice, hah..

SSHE RETINA STIMULANTS "Krionika Soshiki" LP
Urashima
Re-issue of SRS tape on Slaughter productions. To me SRS has been always kind of hit & miss. This album belongs to better ones. It has quite a lot of similarities to his very best works, but not all tracks are pure excellency. It's good stuff to listen to, but sometimes kind of clumsy usage of keyboards. At least it sounds like keyboard tones via distortion.

jadderly

SKORNEG - FOEHN
I guess this was highly acclaimed, but I wasn't blown away by it. My general impression is that it is heavily influenced by Thomas Koner. Now, I love Koner, but there are few people working in his realm that rise to his level, IMHO. This is a well constructed album, but really adds nothing new to the ambient genre and seems to lack that extra-special "something" to make me really love it. I played it over my stereo at low-medium volume while listening so my opinion may change when I give it another, more careful listen at higher volume.

SIGMA OCTANTIS - DISSAPATIONS
Wow, I really liked this one. Heavily guitar based ambient, almost like a much cleaner sounding Maeror Tri with some other elements thrown in. There are some early Mogwai-esque build-ups and some industrial ambience that evokes the early 90s CMI sound. Really well put together, good variety, definitely a project I will be watching closely in the future.

TERRA SANCTA - DISENTIGRATION
Listening to this now. Well executed ambient, seems to be a bit noisier and more aggressive than the "Aeon" CD, which I liked. The faint bits of rhythm from that album are gone, this one is more "drifty" sounding I guess. Nothing groundbreaking, but it has some sort of "personality" to it, which I like.

FOETUS - HOLE; NAIL; THAW
Going back to the first two here in a few years, and hearing Thaw for the first time. Nail was my introduction to Foetus and remains my favorite of these three albums but the others have a lot to offer as well. Listening to these again, I'm picking out some details I might not have noticed before as Foetus was/is very meticulous in his production techniques.

STROM.EC - NEURAL ARCHITECT
My second purchase from this group. Kicking myself for not checking out this project earlier. A little cleaner, sharper, and more rhythmic than I expected after hearing their other CD on Malignant. I think I may possibly like this just as much or more. To me, this is what contemporary artists trying to keep the old-school industrial sound alive should be doing - well composed/put together tracks with aggression and variety.

BAD SECTOR - AMPOS; CHRONOLAND
Until recently, I never cared about this project outside of the excellent "Kosmodrom" album. These two CDs don't sound anything like that but they're damn good. Ampos is an earlier release and rougher around the edges, but even at this stage the "magic" is there. Heavy, noisy ambient. Chronoland is a lot more refined, less dark on the surface but more subtle and meticuluous, more variety in the sound palette and also great.

INTEGRITY - SYSTEMS OVERLOAD (REMIX)
I loved this album in the 90s but have only listened to it off and on in the intervening years. Found this remix version on Bandcamp, so I decided to take a chance for $5. Supposedly this is a re-creation of the version their label rejected and is close to what the band really wanted at the time. The main difference is that the guitars are more prominent in the mix, obscuring the vocals a little bit. The guitar solos also sound a lot different than before. Rougher, more lo-fi, I swear some of them are even missing from the mix but I haven't done a close A/B comparison. Worth checking out if you liked this album.

CON-DOM - THE EIGTH PILLAR
In the late 90s/early 2000s, I was pretty lukewarm on this project. I had a couple of CDs but didn't listen to them much and had no desire to collect more releases. Recently I took a chance on this, and I'm liking it more than anything else I've heard by Con-Dom. Really lo-fi for sure, but powerful.

IN SLAUGHTER NATIVES - CANNULA COMA LEGIO
Basically just as good as anything else from ISN. If you liked his last studio album and the recent live 3xCD, I can't see why you wouldn't like this as well.

PAUL SCHUTZE - NEW MAPS OF HELL; THE RAPTURE OF METALS
Years ago, I got ahold of "The Surgery of Touch" and loved it. Immediately, I ordered 3-4 more CDs of Schutze's music and was disappointed with them, filed them away, and never listened to them much. Recently I have been revisited those albums, and while I like them more now, they still aren't as good as "Surgery". However the two albums listed here "New Maps" and "Rapture" are almost as good as that great album, even if they sound nothing like it. The tracks have more percussive elements but maintain the ambient feel. Even though there are some MIDI type keyboard sounds that are somewhat dated and inorganic sounding here, the composition is there and the overall effect of these albums is very enjoyable. If you wrote off Schutze after "Surgery", try these. I believe you can stream them on Bandcamp, that is where I bought them.

THROBBING GRISTLE - 2ND ANNUAL REPORT; D.O.A. ; HEATHEN EARTH - I.R. VINYL REISSUES
Really well done vinyl reissues. Great glossy jackets, top notch sound, nice booklets. Well worth picking up. I think D.O.A. is still my favorite.

Dr Alex

Quote from: jadderly on January 28, 2015, 07:14:47 PM
SKORNEG - FOEHN
I guess this was highly acclaimed, but I wasn't blown away by it. My general impression is that it is heavily influenced by Thomas Koner. Now, I love Koner, but there are few people working in his realm that rise to his level, IMHO. This is a well constructed album, but really adds nothing new to the ambient genre and seems to lack that extra-special "something" to make me really love it. I played it over my stereo at low-medium volume while listening so my opinion may change when I give it another, more careful listen at higher volume.

I like this album. It's minimalistic and desolate. Try to listen it again with full attention.

SIGMA OCTANTIS - DISSAPATIONS
Wow, I really liked this one. Heavily guitar based ambient, almost like a much cleaner sounding Maeror Tri with some other elements thrown in. There are some early Mogwai-esque build-ups and some industrial ambience that evokes the early 90s CMI sound. Really well put together, good variety, definitely a project I will be watching closely in the future.

Totally agree! I was really surprised with this album. One of 2014's highlights! Last track is my fave.

BAD SECTOR - AMPOS; CHRONOLAND
Until recently, I never cared about this project outside of the excellent "Kosmodrom" album. These two CDs don't sound anything like that but they're damn good. Ampos is an earlier release and rougher around the edges, but even at this stage the "magic" is there. Heavy, noisy ambient. Chronoland is a lot more refined, less dark on the surface but more subtle and meticuluous, more variety in the sound palette and also great.

Almost everything from Massimo is top notch and he is best dark ambient artist of today. Try "Dolmen Factory" or "CMASA". Both albums are different but amazing - strange and beautiful.
"Ampos" is one of milestones of dark ambient, no need to add anything. For a long time I skipped "Chronoland" over and over and when I finally listen it I was amazed! Great album! 11th track is something really special to me.
"Kosmodrom" is absolute masterpiece! This album push genre outside of borders.

IN SLAUGHTER NATIVES - CANNULA COMA LEGIO
Basically just as good as anything else from ISN. If you liked his last studio album and the recent live 3xCD, I can't see why you wouldn't like this as well.

For me, this is best ISN album. His whole discography is good but this one have something beautiful and crushing. Amazing!

bile

Some brief insight on a few tapes I played today...

Developer "Untitled" C30 (released via Depravity)
This tape may be the strongest Developer effort to date (aside from his White Centipede Noise tape a few years ago). A wonderful blend of both traditional hyperactive Harsh Noise and Matthew's musique concrète leanings. Serene at times while completely obscene at others. Love to play this tape very loud.

Unusual Affairs "Hooded Remains" (released via Total Black)
Unfortunately, due to being played on a daily basis, this tape sounds very worn out. Since receiving it in 2013 I've had a difficult time keeping myself from obsessing over "Hooded Remains" powerful atmosphere. Beautiful examples of unique wall construction are spread across four pieces here with the classic trademarks of the style left intact to fill any HNW traditionalists gut (mine included).

Terror Cell Unit "Fear God/Hate Man" (released via Crown Tapes)
Very much a fan of this collaborative unit (I believe they are doing a great job mixing pounding industrial elements with a ferocious Power Electronics attitude). Generally I strongly dislike rhythm in PE, but this tape uses "beat-like" as an advantage. Claustrophobic and militant sounding/feeling backed by a booming vocal performance(s) from all involved.

ANDROPHILIA

CAEN - Middlefield  ( URASHIMA ) LP

loops and raw ambient. I love this album especially the first side of the LP. More intense essential and rarefied,
-ANDROPHILIA
-LIM DUL

"Give me crack and anal sex
Take the only tree that's left
and stuff it up the hole
in your culture" 
(L.Cohen)

FreakAnimalFinland

KRANIVM "The Brighter Edge of Death" LP
KRANIVM "I : The Blood" LP

Urashima
I like the most the 3rd LP. It's not that these LP's would be very far, but maybe leaning notch more toward ambient. Of course slow bounding drum machine beats and movie samples are present, but on 3rd LP there was noisier feel to it.

NETZACH "Live" LP
Hithlahabuth
Pretty obscure German project. I don't think LP on MDP was anything amazing, but this live LP is much much better. It has more flow of live feel and not just short loops over and over and over again. Maybe should give album some rotation now.. For lovers of obscure industrial bands that lean more to noisier and abstract side than "music", this should be pretty good purchase. Due big edition, I'm sure it's available for cheap prices..

acsenger

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on January 29, 2015, 11:55:15 AM
NETZACH "Live" LP
Hithlahabuth
Pretty obscure German project. I don't think LP on MDP was anything amazing, but this live LP is much much better. It has more flow of live feel and not just short loops over and over and over again. Maybe should give album some rotation now.. For lovers of obscure industrial bands that lean more to noisier and abstract side than "music", this should be pretty good purchase. Due big edition, I'm sure it's available for cheap prices..

The last couple days I've been thinking about checking out this band and a few others listed in the German heavy electronics thread. I might grab the above LP. Another band I'm curious about is Phosgen - anyone have any thoughts about them? I couldn't find any samples from their When Innocence Dies... LP on Youtube (I found two of their tracks from other releases that were OK).