PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tiny_tove

THE RITA: Eyeliner Into Nylon Back Seam CD
Yesterday night I finally had the chance to listen  to the whole CD in the right mood.

One single long track from the master of Canadian HNW, that links a costant rough/coarse series of noises building a constant carpet of unsettling ear splitting aggression, with a background of mudded bass frequencies that left me wondering what was actually happening while the atmosphere grew. I can clearly listen to some vocals in the background yet not sure if they are sampled or they belong to Sam.
There is a constant feeling of wait, and when listening carefully you notice some abrupt hidden changes that helps the atmosphere grows any minute.
Not the most violent record I have listened to from THE RITA, but due to the overall threatening atmosphere, definitely one of my faves.
Stylish yet obsessive layout.
CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0

andy vomit

Quote from: Ashmonger on February 06, 2013, 10:08:00 AM
Quote from: andy vomit on February 05, 2013, 08:50:01 PMRITUAL NECROMANCY - oath of the abyss
Pretty good stuff, but not the best of the newer DM bands.

I really should start listening to the Bestial Forces comp. Took me months to get it, now it's been laying here for a couple of weeks. Going to take me months to get through it a couple of times, haha.

i got it from the rising beast records distro, i was ordering "the bunny game" CS and i figured i'd give it a shot.  it's good, not great.  hardly the worst five bucks i ever spent. 
thevomitarsonist.wordpress.com
danversstaterecordings.blogspot.com

HongKongGoolagong

Quote from: Andrew McIntosh on February 05, 2013, 02:07:19 PM
I recall hearing some Dominator and marking it as a heavier kind of Whitehouse. Thought it was hard to track down but a quick look at Discogs disabused me of that.
Quote from: P-K on February 05, 2013, 02:52:35 PM
Dominator is great, very VERY Whitehouse-like but imho way more synth-heavy. Al the clichés are there but it just sounds sooo gooood :-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMdWz0lBeeg
"II" is the best imho...
Quote from: Mikerdeath on February 05, 2013, 06:53:40 AM
Dominator - II (CD)
Excellent under the radar first wave power electronics. Beyond that, this actually impresses me.

Dominator were certainly not first-wave power electronics, they first appeared in the early 90s. I have always assumed their output to be a kind of pisstake of the most cliched and easily parodied aspects of Whitehouse and that they were basically a comedy band - the Weird Als of PE. The old press releases about the (imaginary) band members dying of drug overdoses and hiring prostitutes to help on recordings seems to back this up. The actual culprits included members of Satori I believe. Song title 'Schoolboy Tight Joy' from one of their obscurities is still hilariously unpleasant and makes Nicole 13 output look subtle!

Zeno Marx

Hawkwind - Quark, Strangeness, and Charm 1977 - 2009 2CD - bonus tracks are alternate versions, recording session, and three live tracks - all the bonus studio tracks are great - "Quark, Strangeness & Charm/Uncle Sam's On Mars" is better than the album version - well worth hunting down.
Mohammad Reza Shajarian - Bidad 2005 - Persian music - great album and recommended - beautiful instrumentation and feel.
Byron Metcalf featuring Steve Roach - The Shaman's Heart 2005 - ethno ambient - not a great album, but the percussion stays clear of poppy, cheesy rhythm and kitschy electronica/techno ugliness - good album and worth hearing again.
Temps Perdu? - Athanor 1993 - ethno ambient - got in a big mood for this type of sound - decent album and probably above the average for the sub-genre, but it wasn't as impressive as some of the compilations tracks I've heard from them.
Jason Crumer - Let There Be Crumer 2012 - impressive, and for no good explainable reason at this point, also a surprise - I clearly do not give him the credit he deserves - from drone to experimental to noise to industrial - this has a little bit of everything, and it all works and is of similar quality to all the various parts - probably one of the shining lights in an otherwise dismal noise scene of today.
Byron Metcalf featuring Steve Roach - The Shaman's Heart II (The Healing Journey) 2001 - ethno ambient - not as effective as the part I album, but still a fair listen - less percussive and tribal, though part I wasn't a groove fest, either - more of Steve Roach's touch on this one, and the mix washes the ambient into the sounds of the rattles too much, which may have been the intention; just didn't work for me because of the waves of sound rather than any powerful presence.
Steve Roach & Mark Seelig - Nightbloom 2010 - ethno ambient - the tones were off for me on this one - sounds like a didgeridoo through a stretching process, and it missed the mark - sort of felt like good music for TV documentaries, so better suited for very small doses, not that it doesn't flow well enough to be indexed 12-18 minutes a clip - "pt 3" is the best 14 minutes on this album; the percussion finds a nice tribal groove - I've come to realize that I possibly do not like the way Roach produces persussion; the sound and tones have a hazy, lightness to them; no real surprise because of how most of his electronic work is similarly felt.
Steve Roach - Early Man 2000 - 2001 2CD - ethno ambient - darker, more thoughtful and interesting album - has a cave-like feel to it with ancientness as well, so the title is appropriate - not heard the "decomposed" 2nd CD yet.
Staff Carpenborg and the Electric Corona - Fantastic Party 1969 -
Idris Ackamoor - Music Of Idris Ackamoor 1971-2004 - free jazz - the first 11 tracks (CD1 + part of CD2) are in the same cosmic, ethnic area as Sun Ra, Alice Coltrane, and Irene Schweizer - Jazz Meets India (1967) - I've seen this described as funk, and if it is, I'm definitely ignorant to the parameters of funk, which is entirely possible - I didn't care for the rest of CD2.
Bad Influence - Preaching to the Converted - early British anarcho punk crossed with early British crust crossed with 80s indie crossed with Voi Vod or Die Kreuzen (October File).  Might sound like a mess, but it isn't at all.
Cabaret Voltaire - Methodology '74-'78 Attic Tapes - a great collection of edits and ideas -  if something between P16.D4 and a cold wave Clock DVA sounds like a good idea, here you go. Definitely some proto-power-electronic stuff happening. Great headphone music.
Acephalix - Deathless Master (2012) - hearing this for the first time, though they are on a shortlist of bands I intend to watch - HEAVY - if there was a Bolt Thrower sub-genre (for my money, there is), this would have to be in it, but this doesn't sound like Bolt Thrower - can't write it off as BT worship; it has some nice Scandinavian DM elements to it - 30 minutes is 60 minutes too short.
Emeralds -  Just to Feel Anything 2012 - krautrock Tangerine Dream Klaus Schulze - good album - quality early-80s mimicry, and that is not a dig.
Ashra - Belle Alliance 1980 - krautrock - cool guitar playing still, but the reggae song and cheesy new age pop melodies are not a good listen - I guess I could be sucked into this to listen to Gottsching play his licks.
The Rita - The Rack 2011 - crunchy, restrained bursts that sound like they are running into a brick wall; put under pressure and are destructively seeping out through spaces, but with the resistance - the second track is of similar exercise, but it is even more pressurized and restrained into boiling micro-bursts.

Temnozor - Folkstorm of the Azure Nights (2005)
Temnozor - Horizons (2003)
Temnozor - Haunted Dreamscapes (2010)

This group came highly recommended.  They're interesting overall, but the vocals reminded me too much of Bruce Dickinson (and I'm not one who ever liked his vocals, NWOBHM vocals, Anthrax vocals, etc).  The black metal portions aren't especially impressive, either.  The folk portions are a bit cheesy, but they aren't bad.  The songwriting on Folkstrom makes it all come together well enough.  There's something familiar about some of the tonality and a melody or two.  It'll come to me.  I didn't care for Horizons at all, and I'm not sure how to rate the other two.  I probably liked Folkstrom more.

Loits - Must Album (2007) - Estonian black metal - they're avant-garde black metal - I'd put them in the same realm as Ved Buens Ende and In the Woods, but with more of a rock foundation - I really liked their 2004 album, Vere Kutse Kohustab, so I was excited to find out they had another full length - they did an 18-minute EP in 2007 as well (bonus CDEP in the limited edition version of Must Album), and I'd like to hear it -  I wouldn't say Must Album is a great album, but it's good enough for what I wanted to hear.

"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Jordan

Quote from: HongKongGoolagong on February 07, 2013, 09:55:00 PM
- the Weird Als of PE. The old press releases about the (imaginary) band members dying of drug overdoses and hiring prostitutes to help on recordings seems to back this up.

This kind of makes me want to reconsider them in another light, although having heard their stuff, I know my hopes of hearing polka medleys with Whitehouse lyrics on top will be sadly crushed.

tiny_tove

Feurbahn http://feuerbahn.bandcamp.com/
Looking forward for the release!

Keränen/Lettera 22: split 7"
Very very good on both sides.

Anenzephalia: 23 cassette
I alreasy told this regarding their latest cd, but I think this is the best recorded material I own. Fucking intense.

Mass marriage: NOTHING UNDERNEATH cassette
Hypnotic and intense, very good!

BT. HN. "Her Serpent" cd
I totally missed this, and I am quite glad to finally have it. Does what it says, intense, powerful and definitely not-standard.
Listened to it only twice, I am sure I will many other times.

CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0

linxtyx

Finally got my turntable. So :

ALFARMANIA "Bottenscrapet" pic-LP

Great and furious sound collages of Kristian. Appreciate this release so much. Great work.

ALFARMANIA "Halogd Insikt" pic-10"

One of first works of (this theory is my opinion) new era of ALFARAMANIA. Moody and grim. No loud junk attacks or scratching. Weight of dark industrial landscape & fear.

SNUFF "II" LP

Well it is not a secret that  lo-fi records, feedback and experiments is my piece of cake, but after this I felt like I have been ripped off. I think I am not a big fan of THIS. And simply good idea is not enough for me. (I am into sale/trade if anyone is interested.)

PESTDEMON "Helvetesljuset" LP

This one is absolutely best recording I heard in last few months. Spinning it day after day.

martialgodmask

Quote from: tiny_tove on February 08, 2013, 05:26:42 PM

I do like the sound of this, very nice.

Ritual

Quote from: martialgodmask on February 08, 2013, 08:45:13 PM
Quote from: tiny_tove on February 08, 2013, 05:26:42 PM

I do like the sound of this, very nice.
Yeah, quite unusual and intriguing sound. I like it!

bitewerksMTB

Forza Albino "Infestation" LP- one of the best from last year, looking forward to what they do next

Cultes des Ghoules "henbane" d/l- their new one. cd is out now & vinyl later on hell's headbangers. pretty good but some of the vocals bug me

Ritual

Trepaneringsritualen "Ritualer, Blot & Botgöring" LP
Long time since I listened to the tape, so I was curious of what I thoght of this after listening quite a lot to his more recent and more composed material. And I must say it does sound just as good as it did the first time I listened to the tape, the day after a very freaked out private gig with some of Sweden's finest, where the tape was released. Much more obscure sound than nowadays, but every bit as good!

martialgodmask

Earth - 2
Still an album I'm very fond of and still the best from Earth in my opinion.

Also, Gong - Radio Gnome Trilogy this evening.

impulse manslaughter

Aube - Aquatremble, his first 7".. noisy but not his best material.
Odal - Terreur / Odal - Een Kut In M'n Hersens, great lo-fi material from this underrated old school project.
Brume - Charlemange, i dont have a lot of Brume material in my collection but these are 2 great, atmospheric pieces. Need to check out more of his stuff..
Skin Crime - Monster / Skin Crime - Electroshock Treatment, probably my favorite noise project from the States!
Konstruktivists - Artist Engineers, only record i have by them, clean sound but it's pretty good.
Grunt- Petturien Rooli, such a great record.. the only Grunt i have that's getting played on a regular basis.
Astro - The Echo From A Purple Dawn, just got this in and it sounds good as always.

RG

Hedonic Serge - Somatoscopy: Mode Of Male Pleasure tape
Mordant Karma - Indulge tape
These two are probably my least favorite from that recent batch. I bought all of them and and overall I don't think they are as strong as the usual Lust Vessel material, but it does make me more interested in what's going on in Japan. Just the other day there was an update about new releases from even more sub-labels. Seems like things are ramping up for this label and their associates, but can they maintain the quality? 

Pogrom - Pogrom tape - Came wrapped in gauze with a razor blade included, which is a nice touch to go along with the cover art. Side A is a live gig from Helsinki in early 2012 and has some guest vocals from Pekka PT (I think). Side B is one long track broken into four sections. Overall this tape is ok but not great, not the best example of either studio or live material, but still a cool release to own.

Crank Sturgeon - Recycled tape
Some really good stuff here. This is the kind of well crafted noise that grabs your attention and is a rewarding listening experience. Fans of lofi junk and fast cutup noise should be all over this. I guess you could say this is an odd Crank Sturgeon release because it doesn't have any of the standard CS stuff like spastic retard vocals or silliness. It's just a good straight-forward noise assault. Highly recommended! My copy came on a Rod Stewart tape.

Leviathan - True Traitor, True Whore tape - First off, cassette tape is probably not the best format for this material and I'd like to hear a better copy. Even so, this is pretty much what you'd expect from Mr. Wrest but it doesn't reach the heights of Massive Conspiracy Against All Life. It feels like this guy still hasn't realized his full potential but if he just keeps working at it he'll eventually record a true masterpiece of metal.

Portal - Swarth dlp
Portal - Outre lp
Portal - Seepia lp
Just found out the other day that Portal have a new one coming out soon so I got the urge to listen to all their shit (it's been a while). Discovered that I'm not really into this stuff like I was five years ago, or maybe it's just because I listened to them all in a row and it got exhausting towards the end. The first one, Seepia, is still their best.

Levas

Lately I've bought a few tapes of Lithuanian and overall Baltic metal. So after spinning these:
Manatark - Roosteitk Split up Estonian pagan black metal band. Not bad. Melodic, romantic, etc.

Meressin - Pasiutę Šunys - Lithuanian thrash metal. Some groovy moments

Dissimulation - Miglose - One of the more famous Lithuanian black/thrash band. Not bad, but their stuff never touched me somehow

Other things:

Gianni Giublena Rosacroce - La Piramide di sangue fantastic output from Yerevan tapes. Seemed like some sort of jewish folk or so. Clarinet, percussions, etc. quite unexpectedly good for me

Cannibal Movie - Mondo Music - Also it delivers what it promises in the title. Nothing more, nothing less. Good.