yes, indeed. I would think big part of the late 70's, 80's industrial, the machinery and soundscape was already quite "old". With futurism, they were seeing the idealistic birth of industrialization. Bringing some speed and excitement to boring agricultural italy. When looking at industrial music, UK 80's, that was already era of deindustrialization. Birth of industrial music goes exact same timeframe as industrial collapse. Dirty old factories, certainly would be there, but also in a way "the sound of past". Of course it is debatable if artists who live that exact moment find any nostalgia etc or if that comes a bit later.
Mika Taanila was talking about in Special Interests 6. I asked something about his work that is odd quality of being focused on tech and sort of futuristic aspects, but oddly nostalgic or old perspective. He replied "R. Buckminster Fuller once wrote that when you try to look far ahead in the future, the exactly same amount of years open up in the past. We're there in the middle, the present tense. This is the kind of pendulum that I try to achieve with my films."
I find that more interesting than being very narrowly in as small sphere as social media feed on ones hand. Conscious view into something. It is talked in the interview how horrid the feed is when you kind of accidentally end up in it, hah..
I know at least one noise release where sound source was indeed browsing IG feed. Chaotic random racket as basis of source. Due the randomness and quickly changing nature of it, might work just fine. Like Dead Body Love explaining how some of his tracks had source of fast forwarding death metal CD's. Player skipping fragments of seconds music becomes abstract mess. Massive distortion would mutate it to vivid harsh noise. Knowing that albums may be just fast forwarding metal music CD's doesn't really effect how I feel about them, hah. If turned out some albums was IG feed as source, I must say I may have small caution toward it.
Episode overall is good to check out. Other decent topics as well.