Dunkelheit Produktionen

Started by Manhog_84, November 28, 2023, 10:09:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Manhog_84

As inspired by the Limburg festival, a thread for this fine label and recommendations of titles worth checking out. Somehow Dunkelheit went a bit under my radar for long time, or maybe it's just that they are concentrating now on more interesting releases (for me at least). In the past there were lots of metal releases that didn't caught my attention, but when going through 2023 roster, lots of good releases have been put out. The label has similarities with Filth & Violence, even though F&V is more extreme with far right imagery. Dunkelheit has more polished "big label" aesthetics and layouts, and it's not a bad thing. There's certain uniformity with the occult themes, skulls, death and b&w images etc.

I bought the Black Vault - Hymns to the Great Devourer cd. There is a very similar "industrial beat" from 90's Brighter Death Now albums, and at first it felt almost like a rip-off. But the more I listened to it, it actually feels now better than most of the BDN stuff! 35 minutes so there's no dull parts. Atmoshpere is pitch black and vocals are demonic growling. Cover art, title and song names might not be that original, but it doesn't matter as the music itself works.

Lousberg's Wintergemälde was a nice tape. This is a bit older one from 2017, still available. What sets it apart from many other ambient projects, is the blend of dungeon synth and this tape has those Hlidskjalf type of keyboards, in addition to howling winds that can be expected of this type of winter ambient.

Sapros - Aesthetic of Death tape. It's harsh noise wall but the morbid themes makes it more interesting one immediately for me. I listened for couple of times and like it quite a lot.

Womb 11 is also interesting but I didn't buy the cd yet, as I'm not sure if it's great or boring. This was compared to Korpses Katatonik on Bandcamp page and there's similarities. Minimalistic, heavily droning and monotonous synths, clatter and other noises made by human bones etc.

FreakAnimalFinland

This was included in SI#15 paper zine report of Finnish noise 2022. It also mentioned that (back then) CD on something what people may think as "metal label", may go totally under radar for many harsh noise heads, which is shame.

ROTAT "Disfigured Onanist" CD
Dunkelheit productions
If we'd put this recording into blind listening to harsh heads, I am 100% sure, Rotat CD would be hailed by many as absolute highlights of Finnish harsh noise of 2022. It stands strong next to older veterans, it sounds as fresh as new best releases of praised newcomers. Rotat has been putting out stuff since 2015 and perhaps his perverse and nasty humor, sometimes outrageous graphics, and choice for labels may be off putting for part of harsh noise
scene. Likelihood of masses of harsh heads logging into site of German Black/Death Metal label, or distributors contacting then seems slim. But why not? Disfigured Onanist is by far the most advanced, refined and stylish recording of Rotat. Tape rewind & stop'n'go blast in ripping clarity combined with painful feedback, layers of metal junk.
Fast moving cascades of tiny particles of noises exploding everywhere. Yes yes, many things are the Finn noise standards here. It still stands out in having 10 songs with each having idea and interesting good sounds! Without haste to display all his tricks at once, it avoids trying to hard. That is sometimes the problem of some contemporary noise. Making it too neat, as if trying to impress the fellow noise makers and while going that, failing to actually make good punchy noise album. Here you got the crunch, you got the screech, you got the tape manipulation and the physical object manhandling. However, my assumption is, that with name like this, aesthetics and all that, album ain't going to charm part of harsh noise scene who would most definitely like it if they would give it a try. In other hand, it may find completely new audience. That audience may benefit of hearing actually brilliant harsh noise blast and not brutality or "metal head noise", hah.. Dunkelheit productions actually has bunch of industrial & noise published, so it is not all metal. Bandcamp and store found online. (MA)
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

HateSermon

Quote from: Manhog_84 on November 28, 2023, 10:09:13 AMSomehow Dunkelheit went a bit under my radar for long time, or maybe it's just that they are concentrating now on more interesting releases (for me at least). In the past there were lots of metal releases that didn't caught my attention, but when going through 2023 roster, lots of good releases have been put out.

Same here. I've been paying closer attention to the label and distro lately. Probably because of all the updates regarding the fests and the fact that they run sales somewhat frequently. I've only ordered from them a few times but have had positive experiences.
There's plenty of stuff they have in the distro that I can't seem to find anywhere else. Dreamcatcher, for example. As for the label's own releases-- Pissoir Rouge, Rotat, and Logos are all personal favorites. Apex Parasite deserves praise and is going in my year end list. My wife really like Forgotten Pathways... something for everyone!

Balor/SS1535

Their war metal material early on was good---bands such as Kapala and Subduer.

Looking at the webstore now, however, I see that there is a Skinsaw album?  I know that is a collab between Maskhead and someone else, and the track on the recent L.White comp was great.  If anyone has heard this I would be interested in any thoughts.

I also now remember that he released a tape by Tasuyuki Uesugi, who, if I remember correctly, was the self-admitted autistic guy (or something) who spammed his noise everywhere?  I guess they took a chance on him, so, again, any reviews would be appreciated!

Stipsi

Great label.
Bernd is a great guy, enthusiastic and very easy to deal with.
It's not the first and probably will be not the last to have a noise + black metal label.
North Central
Mademoiselle Bistouri
Daddy's Entertainment.
PERVERT AND PROUD.

FallOfNature

Grimoire De Occulte CD was a good one, in the vein of Necros Christos etc. Slow-mid pace crawling black/death/doom.

The Black Vault CD is also great, need to pick up a copy.

Krigsverk

Great label and nice people. Been listening a lot to the latest batch of releases (still need to pick up GDO, Pubic Eminence and Broken Walls), and I have nothing bad to say about anything. I think the focus on noise/industrial/ritual/PE has given them a good boost as well. 

Phenol

Quote from: Balor/SS1535 on November 29, 2023, 07:02:02 AMLooking at the webstore now, however, I see that there is a Skinsaw album?  I know that is a collab between Maskhead and someone else, and the track on the recent L.White comp was great.  If anyone has heard this I would be interested in any thoughts.

It's a collab between Maskhead and Michael Zolotov of Kadaver, and yeah, it's a pretty great track on that L. White comp. Haven't heard anything else by them, but there's a CD out on Michael's own label, 999 Cuts and I'll certainly get that one next time I get stuff from him.

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: Phenol on November 30, 2023, 07:58:17 PM
Quote from: Balor/SS1535 on November 29, 2023, 07:02:02 AMLooking at the webstore now, however, I see that there is a Skinsaw album?  I know that is a collab between Maskhead and someone else, and the track on the recent L.White comp was great.  If anyone has heard this I would be interested in any thoughts.

It's a collab between Maskhead and Michael Zolotov of Kadaver, and yeah, it's a pretty great track on that L. White comp. Haven't heard anything else by them, but there's a CD out on Michael's own label, 999 Cuts and I'll certainly get that one next time I get stuff from him.

I guess I was mistaken in thinking that was a Dunkelheit release.  Speaking of 999 Cuts, the stuff he puts out looks very interesting as well---especially the new Atrax Morgue (the content of which I have yet to investigate).

Balor/SS1535

Looking now, that AM seems like an interesting comp of some rarities.  I will have to check it out at some point as well.

KillToForget

Great label! Haven't ordered in a while due to shipping to US, but he puts out a lot of great stuff.

dunkelheitprod

It's very nice to see so many nice words about our work and at this point i can only say, thanks, we give our best to push everything in the right direction. For me its very important to present the artist in the best way and give him a platform of expression.

Most of our customers are from the US and we use Post NL express which only take a cat jump over the sea. Have a great weekend to all.
Dunkelheit Produktionen
Your Source for Occult Music and more
http://www.dunkelheit-shop.com

Fistfuck Masonanie

Do you have a US distributor? There are a few releases I'd love to get. Really love Scatmother and want to check out the side project Citalopram Shunyata. That Pubic Eminence sounds incredible as well.

murderous_vision

Dunkelheit lineup is incredible. They put on killer gigs and are some off the most enthusiastic dudes in the business. Honored to work with them.

dunkelheitprod

Quote from: Fistfuck Masonanie on December 02, 2023, 03:54:14 PMDo you have a US distributor? There are a few releases I'd love to get. Really love Scatmother and want to check out the side project Citalopram Shunyata. That Pubic Eminence sounds incredible as well.

Our US distribution is done by MVD, they bring the releases mostly to physical stores. But if you order from us directly, non-EU customers don't pay VAT and shipping is also very fast.
Dunkelheit Produktionen
Your Source for Occult Music and more
http://www.dunkelheit-shop.com