Robert Turman

Started by silnkvenice, October 13, 2012, 02:50:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

silnkvenice

Are there many fans here?
I was talking to him on Facebook the other day and he seems to be in negotiations to rerelease his Chapter 11 boxset in a more widely available format, lets hope it happens soon.

Steve

Excellent news - will this be on Hanson Records?
I love his work - especially Z.O. Voider.

Mattias G

I listened to the Way down LP and Flux 2xLP re-issues a few days ago. I have also the Blizzard CD and the Dilloway split tapes. Very different recordings sound wise, but very good all of them. Is his stuff always this different?

Johann

from what i gather it all changes greatly release to release, that being said, i think it all represents a developed sound (though i have my preferences). I also own the blizzard cd which is a cool one, good for late night and early morning drives...one of my favorite tapes is the Turman/Dilloway split, total monster movie sound (it reminds me of Godzilla type movie soundtracks and slowly morphs)...i would just listen to that side over and over, i highly recommend checking it out, you will not be disappointed.

Flux and Way Down are pretty interesting sounding, it sounds like the stuff my girlfriend listens too...it def caught me off guard a little the first time i heard it

Has anyone seen/heard the Spiral to Another Day DVD that Hanson put out? my buddy back in Detroit has it and said it was really sweet, i've only seen a small sample that i dug quite a bit.

silnkvenice

Quote from: Steve on October 13, 2012, 10:06:59 AM
Excellent news - will this be on Hanson Records?
I love his work - especially Z.O. Voider.

He didnt mention anything, i was asking if it was available to purchase for download via a reputable source (I had it via a blog initially) as ive not been able to find one. Lets hope it gets a reissue and becomes more well known than it is.

Its definitely different to Way Down, Way Down is more rhythmic. Its over 8 cassettes so there is a bit of variety, but i just love the production on it. I would switch off all the lights except my desk light and just read or write with it playing, superb from start to finish.

influencing machine

I bought a copy of the Z.O. Voider tape from Turman years ago and he said at that time that it was supposed to eventually be reissued and I believe he said Hanson was doing it. The sound quality on the tape that I got was very poor so I would welcome a good reissue. It is an exceptionally great tape. Chapter 11 desparately need to be released again. The mp3s I found online are pretty terrible. I have never heard anything by Turman that was not top notch.

FreakAnimalFinland

I listened ROBERT TURMAN "Beyond Painting" CD quite a lot when it came out. Now back on CD player. I do have several Turmans releases, but this might be favorite so far, despite it is... musical ambient stuff?  Beyond Painting originally CDR in 2010, then vinyl in 2013 and CD reissue was done 2020.

It is almost shocking for me to admit, that one of most listened artist in last couple of years must be.... Steve Roach. Haha! I know. I actually bought couple of CD's, but those are not what I listen to really. Roach is like pragmatic muzak, to listen at night when going to sleep, or if I wake up in early morning, thinking its too early to wake up, but would be waste of time to lay in silence. So little dirty behavior is pick up one of several dozen 74 minute albums he has loaded on youtube and listen it with earphones. I'd hate to miss something on noise album due falling sleep. Missing something from ambient... do you miss anything? Maybe you are supposed to!
So, while having love/hate relationship with "ambient", some stuff I like, some stuff has pragmatic use.   Robert Turman CD is a bit too composed, a bit too detailed, to be merely background music. It is really a piece of art, that one can appreciate as compositions, textures, the sound quality and so on. It is not merely background music. Of course Roach is art too, but there is something in it, what makes it difficult to consider it as album you listen to. Smooth background texture, that's how I relate to it.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

impulse manslaughter

Saw a new pressing for the Flux 2LP announced. Great for those who do not have this masterpiece.

FreakAnimalFinland

Finally got the Z.O. VOIDER - PERPENDICULAR GROOVE CD from Chondritic Sound and first time listened it through. Certainly will not be the last! 86-88 industrial noise... All the trademark things from the 80's industrial scene, bleak drum machine beats with effects, turntables, guitar noise, metal percussion, tape manipulation. It all sound and look just like "80's industrial tape" (from more noisy side of it!), but at the same time feeling strong and not really nostalgic nor somehow prisoner of the genre so to say.
You could think of all those infamous names from era, and Z.O.Voider actually being better than many of the "classic reissues"!
Absolutely recommended!
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

impulse manslaughter

For those who missed it; Distance Dosage LP w/ material recorded between 80-84 sold out really fast but a reprint will be available soon.