Packaging involving destroying

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, March 14, 2015, 12:34:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreakAnimalFinland

Recent discussion about Pinch A Loaf release what needs to be cut open to get the tapes... Not sure if this was talked in old topics of special editions. Feelings about items that are everything else but "handy"?

While I often rate handy, durable, compact packaging, now I have had slightly different feel lurking in my brain. Somewhat obsessive attitude towards items being "mint condition", "re-sellable" etc where people are overtly sensitive about their records, books etc, where one can't even leave signs of use to item, but they are storaged in plastic sleeves, away from all signs of life - like old nerds with toy collections.

Where motivation seems to focus on idea that "it will lose value" if it's not "sealed" or "mint". What value? Wouldn't worn out book show that it REALLY did have value to its reader, who hungrily read it anywhere, without need to consider if there few stains and rips or folded pages. Anything else but almost laboratory environment and plastic covers protecting this re-sellable product.

In this context, it feels almost essential that noise release would have something that forces people to step outside neurosis of storaged vacuum bags of mint consumer goods, and actually involve themselves hands-on. Without care of "decrease of value on collectors market".

I recall Brighter Death Now record what was intentionally damaged. Ring wear, bend corners etc. People complained, even if it was meant to be that way. Everybody would get hard-on about rips and stains printed on cover design, simulated with photoshop layers. But when it is actual physical thing, suddenly outrageous act from label?

Many Banned Productions items you needed to little damage to get your hands to tape. At more bizarre cases it could be for example tape covered with tin-foil and dipped in thick layers of paint. No way to access audio in any other way that basically destroying packaging. Or MSBR. What if the grooves of lathecut had some dust in it, as 7" was screwed between couple wood plates? Should one bitch about need of cleaning LP a bit before listening? Perhaps its normal to bitch about getting record what appears "used" or "dirty", when you supposedly paid for "new". But all in all, I feel like leaning towards direction where it could be good to see releases that can't escape being used.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Euro Trash Bazooka

I hate anything that doesn't fit within my shelves, that includes boxsets, oversized packagings, etc... I'm don't care about value, I care about not having annoying shit cluttering my house. I also care about music more than media and I think that often, artists forget that they're putting out a record, not some piece of art (crap.) With that said, I like my things to look as neat as possible so destroying a packaging to open it gives me panic attacks.

Also:

DROIT DIVIN: https://droitdivin1.bandcamp.com/

CRYPTOFASCISME / VIOLENT SHOGUN /
ETC: https://yesdivulgation.bandcamp.com/

Zeno Marx

Quote from: theotherjohn on March 14, 2015, 12:58:27 PM
however, has anyone had the perverse idea of doing a sandpaper sleeve with the rough on the inside?
Zoviet France - Gris 10" uses a folded roofing shingle as a cover. I've never seen a 10" that wasn't scratched from the constantly shedding debris. It might as well be sandpaper.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

ImpulsyStetoskopu

I love a process of destruction in music/art and in way of packaging... I try to do it in my label releases too, and I like destroying (cutting, tearing, punching etc.) boxes, cassettes and so on.
What's more, I don't care if I buy used releases which (packages; punching cassettes) have been already destroyed. I like looking at these signs of using / destroying.

New Forces

I don't mind cutting or ripping things open. The only thing I try to avoid is rendering the art on the package destroyed. For example, that BLJ / Ramirez tape I mentioned in the other thread has a great (but fragile) newspaper collage covering it, so I wanted to figure out a way to open it without tearing that up. So, preserve the artwork, but getting it open and listenable is the #1 priority
New Forces
https://newforces.bigcartel.com

Kjostad
Breaking The Will
Form Hunter
Cryocene

audiodissection

If it is meant to be destroyed as the only way to access to it, let's do it (with minimum damage possible). I recall for instance Ramirez LP on Tesco sealed with padlock with no key, or Genocide Organ bootleg LP etc..Only release which come to mind I couldn't ever destroy is the K2 "We Destroyed Barcelona" cassette on United Syndicate that remain untouched till today

Urban Noise

Personally I don't give a damn about the value, I never buy something thinking I will sell in the future so, I don't really care about that. But, I prefer to keep the packages undamaged and I always try to make the smallest damage when opening something.
New Approach Records
www.nghproductions.limitedrun.com
www.newapproachrecords.wordpress.com
www.nekrogoatheresyproductions.wordpress.com

Scat-O-Logy

Not a fan of this but surely willing to destroy the package if that's the only way to access the music. I hate it even more when destruction could be prevented with slight changes... Like some releases that are packaged in envelopes but they are sealed instead of left open.

Andrew McIntosh

As I tiredly repeat over and over - the sounds, not the packaging.

If the packaging had a purpose - that is, if the destruction of the packaging served the purpose of the release - that I could understand. Chop Shop comes to mind.

If it's just to be annoying, that's all it'll be. The envelopes mentioned by "Scat-O-Logy" come to mind.

Keeping your shit pristine is nice, I love a brand new box straight out of the post as much as anyone, but to get to the chuff you need to break shit anyway. And seriously, how many of those stupid plastic cd cases and so on stay solid? Everything breaks and fucks up. Who hasn't gotten a nice, new cd in the mail only to find the case broken or even shattered by the less than careful ministrations our international postal service?

I'll just yawn "sounds over packaging" again...
Shikata ga nai.

moozz

OVMN's Visions Of Autoerotic Excess is an annoying one package-wise. The CD is wrapped in duct tape (with some protective film not to destroy the disc) and the whole thing is then tied up with thick steel wire. At least my copy was damaged by the wire (the CD had dents in it) and was unplayable. I had to find a download online to listen to the album.

Mattias G

It always feels a little bit strange to (cut) open a Entr'acte vacuum packed release.

Cranial Blast

Newest Abgrund release Room Ov Pleasure/Pain Appendix CD comes to mind. I botched the main front cover envelope trying to use a scissors to cut open and the inside sealed envelope really got butchered trying to get at the inserts.

tiny_tove

Destruction's Geometry | Dead Body Love could be opened only damaging somehow because I was a terrible cutter and and an even worse designer
CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0

Cranial Blast

Quote from: Urban Noise on March 15, 2015, 12:48:20 AMPersonally I don't give a damn about the value, I never buy something thinking I will sell in the future so, I don't really care about that. But, I prefer to keep the packages undamaged and I always try to make the smallest damage when opening something.

I agree, it's the same here it's not like I've got any plans to sell one day in the future, but I too make a strong attempt at just trying to keep shit in nice shape and then after awhile it can become like an OCD thing at times and you then you've got to learn how to have a rational mind about it all.

That should be a new topic "OCD with collection" haha. Do you lose sleep at night worrying about that fucking indent in the booklet, because you got to hasty to check and see that the insert was slid back nicely before you closed the case!?