Home Made VS Somewhere-Else Made

Started by Andrew McIntosh, August 25, 2010, 04:09:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew McIntosh

Quote from: the_hitlers on August 24, 2010, 09:40:47 PM
Quote from: TheGreatEcstasy on July 07, 2010, 10:28:06 PM
Quote from: Zeno Marx on July 07, 2010, 09:51:45 PM
cleansed and fixed yet?

Hardly. Still full of idiots and chancers peddling their CD-r and other home botched crap when not crying about how awful it is that PE exists.

wtf is wrong with homemade releases?

Having had criticism for home made packaging myself, I'm interested in knowing what peoples' views are on the vices and virtues of doing it yourself at home, regardless of how amateur it looks, compared to paying out the bucks for a "professional" job (and all the variants in between).

From what I can see, there's been, in the last few years, a growing desire among some in the PE/Indust/Noise scene for a more professional look and sound with releases. While it's laudable that people are moving on from the 80's, I wonder if there's not some new snobbery creeping in that just dismisses DIY out of hand.
Shikata ga nai.

RG

Nothing wrong with DIY if done well, as long as it's not a tape in a fucking plastic bag.

bogskaggmannen

Quote from: Andrew McIntosh on August 25, 2010, 04:09:06 AM
From what I can see, there's been, in the last few years, a growing desire among some in the PE/Indust/Noise scene for a more professional look and sound with releases.

Really? My impression is that home made releases have taken over more and more of the total market. That doesn't necessarily mean home made = not professional looking, but generally I think factory made products sell almost the same amounts as home made tapes, if not less. My guess for this "evolution" is current trends and that tapes are cheap.

P-K

more DIY : less quality control, more bad dubs, sticky spraypainted cdr's , more frustration when labels don't send you're stuff because 'we are moving' (this is a very common excuse!), more lies about how the product looks

i know the good people/stuff filters out, but we are flooded imho....

linxtyx

I agree that there are a lot of DIY labels, that floods scene with a lot of crap, but if label is DIY it really doesn't mean less quality control or certainly bad dubs. It really depends on person and it's attitude.

tisbor

Factory-made is good , but also a bit lifeless .

Ugly xerox + personally dubbed tape is still my favourite .

Levas

The worst thing for me is carelessness or at least as I see it. I mean plain "some_brand" CDr in a folded paper where you have something written with pen or something like that. Maybe that somehow reflects nihilism and attitude towards consumerism or whatever, but for me it seems more like "I don't care about what I throw out". I don't like these, but that doesn't apply to DIY overall. There are really good looking DIY releases. On the other hand I don't like shiny glamour factory releases too where it seems more like a fetish for how kitsch'y the release might look. Everything in-between is ok. I like the releases from Impulsy Stetoskopu let's say. They're DIY, but there really are interesting ideas of packaging etc.

GEWALTMONOPOL

Well said terror!

They say patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel. I say DIY, at least in noise, is a refuge for the incompetent. Unfortunately not their last either. Fuck that!
Först när du blottar strupen ska du få nåd, ditt as...

XXX

Quote from: TheGreatEcstasy on August 25, 2010, 05:42:39 PM
I say DIY, at least in noise, is a refuge for the incompetent.

exactly. I recently met fellow who had done a diy noise tape and was trading them for other releases while on tour. guess who ended up with 2 blank tapes with no artwork? when i emailed him he told me he was new to dubbing tapes and was unsure if he had actually dubbed anything. He hadn't even played them on a deck to check them.

Par for the course

the_hitlers

for sure, there are a lot of crappy diy productions, since anyone want's to put out his stuff somehow.
on the other hand, many established labels and distros get flooded with hundreds of demos day by day at the moment.
i agree that the scene is overloaded at the moment and there are less authentic labels, willing to produce harsh noise nowadays.

Quote from: TheGreatEcstasy on August 25, 2010, 05:42:39 PM
Well said terror!

They say patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel. I say DIY, at least in noise, is a refuge for the incompetent. Unfortunately not their last either. Fuck that!

anyway i think your comments about DIY and noise, sounds like a prejudiced opinion against everything thats not PE...

P-K

Quote from: the_hitlers on August 26, 2010, 03:44:10 PMsounds like a prejudiced opinion against everything thats not PE...

rather against everything that's crappy diy, not against non-pe......but i can be wrong.

FreakAnimalFinland

I tend to favor DIY ethic with my own work. I may use some professional tools. Computer, professional printing equipment and so on. But when you look at what it really is, in majority of cases, I record, master, dub tapes, design/print/cut/fold, release, retail and wholesale all the titles. CD and vinyl manufacturing is something company does for me. Sometimes they also take care of printing covers. But most of all, I do it elsewhere, by myself, using machinery meant for it. And then assemble final release one by one. One could always hire "professional" to do the same work. Or improve it just a bit with scoring of inlays etc, but in other hand weight is heavier on having the hands-on approach on what I do instead of hand on the wallet approach.

"Homemade" in sense of negative remark is most of all just reference how things often turn if people have zero interest to any effort. Be it financial or devoted time & energy.  I don't think anybody would oppose master works of talented craftmanship or packaging that is 100% suitable for audio it contains?

I think it's easy to ask oneself would you PREFER pay or buy items such as ones you release. If yes, that's probably good way to run a label. If you put out low grade CDR's, lame packaging, but never buy other than professional LP's, then probably time to consider other options. Nowadays releasing is so easy and options just about everywhere in world, it hardly requires severe compromises.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

kittymagic

i have a question which sort of relates to this subject.....
when spray painting cassettes, is there a chance that you could accidentally spray the tape reel? if so, is there ways to avoid this?
same with spraying the top side of CDs, is there ways to avoid paint getting on the bottom side?

Violent Noise Atrocities

I prefer to try and do as much as i can myself...it is time consuming...but i personally am inspecting each copy...if i cut a layout a little bit off....well...i toss it...I feel like i accomplished something after i finish making up a batch of releases...i dont think i would be as happy if i just had everything factory done by someone who had no interest in the release.

One thing i have found hilarious was a year or so ago a jerkoff reviewed some of my labels releases and complained about the fact that i used an Epson printer...which has been upgraded a few times now....the funny part was he had extremely horrible spray painting on all his releases....and he was insulting mine?...hahahahaha

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: kittymagic on October 02, 2010, 01:28:22 PM
i have a question which sort of relates to this subject.....
when spray painting cassettes, is there a chance that you could accidentally spray the tape reel? if so, is there ways to avoid this?
same with spraying the top side of CDs, is there ways to avoid paint getting on the bottom side?

You can use slice of paper or tape to cover the part where magnetic tape is shown. Not too difficult to protect it. But of course some paint may still get inside the tape from other "holes". I would rather buy blank tape labels and paint/print them rather than whole tape itself. I have had plenty of releases where paint peels off. And you don't want that happen inside your tape deck.

CDR paintjob seems like another hazardous thing. Plenty of discs have paint in reading surface. Even if they are painted on front surface. I personally don't have any facts whether pain would include some chemicals which may not be favorable to your disc silver surface on long run. I don't think spray looks THAT good, that it should be even used. Just blank white disc seems fine with me if it really is just cheap priced CDR.

What VNA says about Epson printers.. hmm.. well, lets say that if we're talking about the cheap inkjet printers and use of regular papers. They do look horrible. Cheap in quality, annoying in texture, not "handmade" in positive way. Fading colors, smearing colors, blurry soft edges, crappy halftone patterns. What are the advantages? Home use? Cheapness of printer? I can't believe that severe compromise would be celebrated.
This week, I had opportunity to check out quality of Brother LED color lazer printer. Sold by finnish supermarket for 170,- (regular 300,-). I'm sure in rest of world this is much cheaper? With knowing how to prepare files, you could get nearly as good print quality as with huge digital print machines. For the price and convenience of home use, it would be supreme for small labels. Totally another league compared to old color lazers. With tiny investment what you get back by selling c. 50-100 tapes, one can rise to level of something pretty good. Nothing difficult in it either. Just choise made if one believes releases deserve decent presentation.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net