PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whateverforever

Played a show with him in Portland when he toured for that album and it was fucking sick. Got the vinyl but don't have a record player at the moment.

Ashmonger

Sewer Goddess - Disciples of Shit: Live Waiste (CD, Black Plagve): So, everything I've heard so far from SG is good to my ears. This record however, seems more difficult to digest. Don't know why, but maybe it's the 'muddy' sound, although it's still quite good for live recordings! But the other SG records always have a far from clean, yet more clear sound. Anyway, the first two tracks aren't fully to my liking, somehow it feels like there isn't much happening. Mother Agony is a fine track and Chained to the Edge of Existence/A Lifeless Dreaming is really good, heard it first on the split with Diseased Oblivion and it's interesting to see that it transfers very well to a live setting. Slavepiece is another nice track, though I've got to say, that when I first heard it (on youtube, since it was used as 'promotional' track for this CD), I didn't really like it that much either. So, it will definately get some more listens, since it seems to be growing on me, but I don't think it will become my favourite SG release.

pontifx

mz.412 - Domine Rex Inferum
diocletian - doom cult
watain - lawless darkness

FreakAnimalFinland

V/A "the sound ecology; range" CD
First I listened this few times without even checking who is who. And there really is just one or two weaker pieces, but the theme & choice of artists is so well done that it is pretty solid - and could be even listened as album, not compilation of various artists.
So what is it? Field recordings, some people, like Jeph Jerman just leaves recorder capture what is happening. Some others process the track further, but maintain the great original source material without ruining it. The weaker ones are exactly the ones where you hear the editing to obviously.
Who is there? Mathieu Ruhlmann, Yannick Dauby, Michael Northam, Eric La Casa, John Grzinich, Francisco Lopez, Ralf Wehowsky, Christopher McFall, Murmer and already mentioned Jerman.
Good full color booklet with liner notes from everybody and some tasty photos of sites of recording or objects. Packaged in cardboard gatefold type cover. Nitkie appear to be label to pay attention!

Illusion of Safety "Bridges Intact" CD
ah... later days IoS... digital feel, guitar sounds and closely recording micro-sounds crackling on top. It starts well with acoustic instruments and kind of broken sounds, but somehow loses me while going onwards. Not bad, but needs more listening. And I'm not sure is it worth it, when compared to all the really good IOS you could be spending time with...
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

bitewerksMTB

ANTEDILUVIAN "through the cervix of hawwah"- new full length, i d/l'd it but will most definitely be purchasing the LP next year (cd is out now on Profound Lore & Invictus Prod). sick Canadian death metal, nice atmosphere & great vocals. artwork for the cover is excellant too. not the usual DM imagery. there's a 12" on Bird of Ill Omen that is worth picking up also.

Zeno Marx

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on November 21, 2011, 10:46:01 PM
ANTEDILUVIAN...there's a 12" on Bird of Ill Omen that is worth picking up also.
really good record
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Ashmonger

Pharamakon/Deterge (7", Phage Tapes): Pharmakon: Different from what I heard on youtube and myspace, deeper sounds, more brooding, while the other stuff seemed colder, and less of her typical bloodcurdling screams. This are two rather short pieces. Good stuff, but of course I would have liked some more screams. Definately waiting for more releases from her. Deterge: one could indeed discuss whether this is Harsh Noise or Power Electronics. Very harsh distorted sounds, but some calmer pieces with vocals, which sounded rather apart, not really the typical distortion and echoing vocals. This is good! Recommended split!

Black Leather Jesus/Pollutive Static (7", Phage Tapes): Despite the use of different sounds and texture of distortion, there's definately some similarity on here between the two acts, so it's a good match. Both sound solid, with sounds moving in the background, which makes it interesting.

Priest In Shit - Icon/Effigy (7", Phage Tapes): Harsh Noise, with very distorted sounds, sounds to me a bit like the sounds recorded are being totally broken and molested. Don't know what to say, good stuff!

Out of these three, the Black Leather Jesus/Pollutive Static maybe got me the least enthusiastic after one listening, however, that doesn't mean it's not good. Not at all! 3 7"s that were worth getting!

About the covers: not the most beautiful covers I've seen, the style isn't fully my cup of tea. However, they do look good and knowing that Phage tapes makes them himself, this deserves a lot of respect, for putting so much into his releases!

RyanWreck

Umpio - Junk Electronix Vol.I (Nekorekords, 2010) - Decent. Not as good as the SSRI split. This isn't really my "cup of tea" although a few tracks are definitely above average junk noise. Really dynamic movements, always changing sound with very little filler or build up. You can actually hear rhythms in a few of the tracks here. Most of my favorite tracks (5 and 9) are the shortest ones on here. 9 sounds like someone molesting a robot with a pipe behind closed doors leading into the 10 minute final track that pretty much covers everything already heard up until this point.

Ashmonger

Quote from: Ashmonger on November 22, 2011, 12:10:14 PMPharamakon/Deterge (7", Phage Tapes): Pharmakon: Different from what I heard on youtube and myspace, deeper sounds, more brooding, while the other stuff seemed colder, and less of her typical bloodcurdling screams. This are two rather short pieces. Good stuff, but of course I would have liked some more screams. Definately waiting for more releases from her. Deterge: one could indeed discuss whether this is Harsh Noise or Power Electronics. Very harsh distorted sounds, but some calmer pieces with vocals, which sounded rather apart, not really the typical distortion and echoing vocals. This is good! Recommended split!

I have to correct myself: in the first Pharmakon track there are quite some screams, but they're mixed lower than what I heard from gigs and stuff on youtube. I think for Pharmakon it works fine if the vocals are really upfront!

Disgust/Gnawed/Nyodene D/RU486 (2xC10, Phage Tapes):  Got this because I heard good things about all these acts and the only one I heard before was RU486 (Disease and Development C10). The RU486 track on here is definately better than the mentioned tape. Really liked the vocals. The other acts are also good, only Disgust was less to my liking, sounded a bit too clean, I guess.

andy vomit

TAINT/GRUNT - schoolyard brusies
FASCIST INSECT - march of the fascist insect
MANIA/HAL HUTCHINSON - untitled
DARKTHRONE - a blaze in the northern sky
DEATHPILE - agonize, humiliate, destroy
thevomitarsonist.wordpress.com
danversstaterecordings.blogspot.com

jake

VA - White Eye of Winter Watching 2xcs: Have only given a very superficial distracted listening, but like parts of what I've heard so far. At 200 minutes, something that demands more attention than I've been able to give it, but looking forward to delving in more.
Arghoslent - Hornets of the Pogrom cs: VERY enjoyable heavy metal with some death metal growl vocals and "controversial" lyrics.
Death in June - 3 different live bootleg cs put out by Sons of Europe: A show from '83, '84, and '08. The early shows are amazing and the more recent show has a "storytellers" feel with explanations between the songs. ESSENTIAL.
The Haunting Presence - new cs out a few days ago: Brutal and to the point. Chaotic and punishing blackened death metal.
Hive Mind - Elemental Disgrace LP: Sounds like in old cartoons when the characters go to the center of the Earth and everything is being controlled by primitive, archaic machines. Slow motion cave industrial. Repeated Listenings.
Untitled - Rhinocervs 07 cs: Not as good as the other "untitled" stuff I've heard from this label. I like some of the pieces but it feels a little disjointed.
Bagatur - Skazanie... cs: Corny, majestic keyboards, soaring breakdowns, ultra-raw production, scathing high-pitched vocals. Somehow it all works very well, been listening to this tape constantly over the past month or so.

RyanWreck

Quote from: jake on November 23, 2011, 10:45:01 PM
VA - White Eye of Winter Watching 2xcs: Have only given a very superficial distracted listening, but like parts of what I've heard so far. At 200 minutes, something that demands more attention than I've been able to give it, but looking forward to delving in more.

Does it say of Deathpile and Whorebutcher is live or unreleased material from the past, or is it new?

The Haunting Presence - new cs out a few days ago: Brutal and to the point. Chaotic and punishing blackened death metal.

Untitled - Rhinocervs 07 cs: Not as good as the other "untitled" stuff I've heard from this label. I like some of the pieces but it feels a little disjointed.

I loved Rhino-01 and Rhino-02, really great melodies and awesome vocals. I didn't like this one much.

I've been listening to The Haunting Presence rip repeatedly. Violent shit, it has a South American Deathrash sound to it at times a bit like Perversor (Chile).

bitewerksMTB

BLASPHEMOPHAGER "the III command of the absolute chaos"- listen on NWN's streaming page. just ordered the diehard. they get better with each release. hate the band name but they make up for it with vicious music & great artwork.

listening to MIDNIGHT "satanic royalty" now. it's ok. like the older material more. something about the guitar tone doesn't agree with me on this new one.

Just grabbed The Haunting Presence. Descript sounds right up my alley. Wouldn't have guessed as the name doesn't reflect what they sound like at all!

RyanWreck

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on November 24, 2011, 12:49:38 AM

Just grabbed The Haunting Presence. Descript sounds right up my alley. Wouldn't have guessed as the name doesn't reflect what they sound like at all!

I thought it was going to be the usual "raw" stomping American BM that is highly popular right now. Totally caught me off guard in a good way.

BTW I was talking about the S/T tape not the new one, I don't know what that one sounds like.

listening to MIDNIGHT "satanic royalty" now. it's ok. like the older material more. something about the guitar tone doesn't agree with me on this new one.

That Midnight LP fucking rocks, I like it better than their older stuff but then again this is their first real full length. Tank and Motorhead worship with BM undertones finally done right.

jake

Ryan: Those two tracks aren't listed as being live (while others are) and I don't recall them sounding live, but their origins are a mystery to me.