PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TS

Yes it is very good. To me it sounds as if ZSS has evolved from a looser structure, based on synth lines with somewhat chaotic junk noise, samples seemingly placed where they fit, to a more focused, deliberate sound, each track being an idea seperate from the others. Compared to Anti-Personnel Explosive Device, Nigger Torture Chamber feels more soundtrack-ish and thematic. Really glad I managed to grab a copy before they were all gone.

I also revisited Kadotus - Twilight Rituals (Nordkult Rituals 2006) recently, and I'm glad I did because it's just as good as I remember it. It's a tape that compiles two earlier Kadotus releases, Twilight's Depths from 2006 and a 7" from 2004, which in the booklet is listed as "Kadotus", but appears on Metal Achives under the name "Pestilence". If anyone here has the 7" in question, can you shed some light on this? In any case, both releases are from golden era Kadotus, before they ventured too far into death metal territory. Excellent energetic drumming, classy screamed/howled vocals, and riffs that despite being quite "ordinary" black metal riffs, somehow contain that mournful/triumphant quality.  Production wise the tape is also very much up my alley, sharp, just lo-fi enough. Recommended.

Backasvinet - Gevisol/Ivisol (Elbogen Fonogram 2015) is another one that has been getting playtime lately. Noise from the depths of Sweden, with a production that I can only describe as comfortable. It has a very strange pacing, its actually quite fast moving, but the tracks evolve in a way that makes it feel slow, crawling. Doesn't feel violent, more like a blanket of sedatives.
Kropper uten Mellomrom

Euro Trash Bazooka

Quote from: TS on August 19, 2015, 12:46:17 PM

I also revisited Kadotus - Twilight Rituals (Nordkult Rituals 2006) recently, and I'm glad I did because it's just as good as I remember it. It's a tape that compiles two earlier Kadotus releases, Twilight's Depths from 2006 and a 7" from 2004, which in the booklet is listed as "Kadotus", but appears on Metal Achives under the name "Pestilence". If anyone here has the 7" in question, can you shed some light on this? In any case, both releases are from golden era Kadotus, before they ventured too far into death metal territory. Excellent energetic drumming, classy screamed/howled vocals, and riffs that despite being quite "ordinary" black metal riffs, somehow contain that mournful/triumphant quality.  Production wise the tape is also very much up my alley, sharp, just lo-fi enough. Recommended.

I LOVE Kadotus, one of my favourite Finnish BM bands for sure. I really appreciate their riffs, which contain that typical Finnish feel without sounding too close to the Concilium's melodies, unlike a lot of their counterparts (Warloghe and Musta Surma also succeed quite well at this.) "Twilight's Depths" is a great 12", with a sound slightly murkier than their former releases in my opinion, but it contributes to the dark atmosphere. "Ablaze In Distance" is a mixtape staple for me.

I believe the 7" is actually selftitled but it's common practice to name a selftitled 2-song 7" from the title of the A side tune?

People should also check out the Kadotus guys' death metal project, Occult Burial. Both demos are amazing, with a really obscure and chaotic atmosphere akin to that of the earliest USDM bands (Necrovore in particular.)
DROIT DIVIN: https://droitdivin1.bandcamp.com/

CRYPTOFASCISME / VIOLENT SHOGUN /
ETC: https://yesdivulgation.bandcamp.com/

tiny_tove

relistening zss now again and it is growing... Probably best tape of this year in my opinion until now.
CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0

FreakAnimalFinland

CURRENT WORMING "Memory In Fuck" tape
Dogmatics In Outline
I remembered I would have commented about previous works of this label, but don't find anything with search. Anyways, all three previous releases of label was nice. Perhaps some of its elements are little bit too "today", but well... I do prefer 1st C.W. tape the most. That being sort of Järtecknet label esque loop works. More abstract noise here, but utmost rawness and grim feeling.

NOR INDEX "Recurring Photographer" tape
Dogmatics In Outline
Previous Nor Index tape was perhaps more of album feel, while this shorter tape is just straight forward noise-pe attack. Fierce and simple noise combined with throaty vocal screams, with less tone, more vocal crackless. Listened this three times by now, and feel like it's ok, but not as good as previous tape. Barely upcoming classic, but it has kind of same feel like older Posh Isolation works... Not so much about individual classic release, more about feeling of bigger label profile.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: Euro Trash Bazooka on August 19, 2015, 01:36:54 PM
I LOVE Kadotus, one of my favourite Finnish BM bands for sure.

Familiar with Finnish INFERI? Kadotus main man's solo. Slow and melancholic black metal. Demo material more raw, album noble and cold. Very different style, but essential often forgotten releases.

LE COSE BIANCE - WERTHAM "Contenpt" tape
Angst
Good tape! I think both artists benefit of tape format what adds little further dirt to their sound. Also not so common way of mixing material together instead of separate sides. So each band has followed by other artist. This adds neat diversity to sound, where LCB trust more on playful synth and very clear sound and Wertham to distorted vocals and far more monotonic and bleak synth noise background. Both compliment eachother well and makes this tape album work.

ARKHE "Rift" tape
Cipher
Again situation is about the same as always with Arkhe. I like a lot where Pestdemon went, and then don't feel that Arkhe really got that far. Indeed, the monochrome bleakness of material is appealing in many ways, but it is hardly such "album" type of material as he was able to do before. Slow growing, suffocating tracks, yes.. but I feel there is potential for more!

DAVE PHILLIPS / FRANCISCO MEIRINO "uglyography" tape
Angst
Nice!!! First I felt like start is little bit too slow. Also the lap-top-digitalia esque cut-ups and all the usual animal sounds.......... but what the hell, again, rough live recording saves a lot. Tape format as well. And needless to say, despite glitch and recycling of ideas, mr. Phillips knows what he is doing. Live shows edited on tape.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

ConcreteMascara

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on August 20, 2015, 05:18:28 PM
Quote from: Euro Trash Bazooka on August 19, 2015, 01:36:54 PM
I LOVE Kadotus, one of my favourite Finnish BM bands for sure.

Familiar with Finnish INFERI? Kadotus main man's solo. Slow and melancholic black metal. Demo material more raw, album noble and cold. Very different style, but essential often forgotten releases.

I second the recommendation for Inferi. The album has some of the best lush but bleak production I've heard in black metal. very good driving music too.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

Euro Trash Bazooka

I know Inferi but I'm not into it as much as Lauri's other projects.
DROIT DIVIN: https://droitdivin1.bandcamp.com/

CRYPTOFASCISME / VIOLENT SHOGUN /
ETC: https://yesdivulgation.bandcamp.com/

spongeoctopus

Backasvinet - Gevisol/Ivisol
Currently the best swedish harsh noise unit with the best harsh noise tape of this year.

Abjekt - Synligt Bröllop
This is a short but great one. Really amazing first release of lofi industrial. A must have.

eyestrain

Altar Of Flies - Five Tapework Compositions C40 (Throme Heap): A nice wager between Gustafsson's first known explorations into more experimental sounds (which I would say were his "darker", more industrial works) and the sort of ambivalent listening that he and Järtecknet crew do so well these days. Slight hints of absurdity/humor are always quickly mired down by slow tape recitation, wailing voices or deep synth throbbings. This I loved. Very happy to be able to buy his work on an affordable format from a domestic label.

Clinic Of Torture - Slavesex C20 (I.O.P.S.): I don't honestly remember any past works, but this must be CoT's strongest? Really tasteful, "musical" use of pained female screams are spliced into itty bitties and there's a fairly consistent presence of the perfect-ranged feedback throughout the majority of the tape. This is a plus! Of course, it also graces the almighty C20, adding plenty quality to the types of atmospheres and sounds developed. Really has a flavorful feel that reminds me of golden era harsh noise — especially the kind of incredible oddities you'd find on comps. The way voice samples are utilized - passives and submissives - are given a perfect dominance. I'm reminding of Club Moral if they were full on harsh.

Störkraft - Wikinger CD (ALCD): Maybe this summer's most played album. Better late than never to find such amazing Oi! "Wir Sind Wieder Da!" and "1848" especially blow my mind with their perfect catchiness. Even the acoustic bits are spot-on; neither tacky nor too off-base for the rest of the album. Great vocal presence and the guitar tone is flawless.

eyestrain

Clew Of Theseus "Oran" 2xC50 (Cathartic Process): I've always preferred later day Clew. His first years of harsh noise were certainly fine, but once he entered into "ambient" territories, well they've progressively become essentials in my brain. Meridian had it's drone-ish moments, but they were more in the style of J. Crumer; steady crescendos of fixed sounds, neither overly aggressive or too light either. Definitely the highlight of those "early works". Oran opened up something entirely different though. The best parts of Soliloquy For Lilith and Ligeliahorn combine into one miserable, dystopic mass. Lots of acoustic sounds (bell, guitar, harmonica, piano, etc) and field recordings mangled together into 100 minutes of captivating moods. Even with each piece being 25-minutes or so, they're able to hold a solid ground despite the minimal progression. Moments remind me of Alio Die, particularly the second piece, if all the psychedelia were dropped and we were just left with a shell of the project.
I never picked up the editions with the 44-page artbook or the 8" lathe, but I can only imagine the imagery would add to an already harrowing listen.

Clew Of Theseus "Rehearse The Right Life" C32 (Husk Rec.): Whereas Oran seemed to have received a pretty professional sound at Ben's own hands, he let the fidelity drop magnificently with this tape. The whole piece is mangled by warbling and decaying cassette shifts. I'm strongly reminded of the amazing first track on Aural Holograms' Vol. 1, except this lasts for the whole half-hour. The effect is intoxicating and otherworldly. First side is the darker, more terrestrial aspect of the tape, while the flip is a bit more floating. The deep end of the recording has reduced itself greatly, and we get a successful manipulation of the start. It's like the discovery of something too fucked to be true, but the realization inevitably sets in that it is indeed true. Rehearse... is like capturing the segue in sound. I can just transpose this over many a film where that shock takes place. Just make it last longer. A very heady and intense album. Think of early M.B. experiments with synth and tape, but more emotional... less cold, but only ever so slightly.

Zeno Marx

Quote from: eyestrain on September 03, 2015, 04:05:21 AM
The best parts of Soliloquy For Lilith and Ligeliahorn combine into one miserable, dystopic mass.
Name drop of the year, but I can believe it.  I thought he exposed his love for Jackman beautifully on Meridian, and for no good reason at all, I didn't investigate further.  After such great reviews, I'll have to change that.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

eyestrain

Quote from: Zeno Marx on September 03, 2015, 04:59:22 AM
Quote from: eyestrain on September 03, 2015, 04:05:21 AM
The best parts of Soliloquy For Lilith and Ligeliahorn combine into one miserable, dystopic mass.
Name drop of the year, but I can believe it.  I thought he exposed his love for Jackman beautifully on Meridian, and for no good reason at all, I didn't investigate further.  After such great reviews, I'll have to change that.

Zeno, with your love for drone and ambient, I'm sure you'll find something to at least not hate, hehe. I'd definitely recommend his The Death Urge LP on Verlautbarung also. That's more intense, but still really fantastic!

greylake

Bunch of IRM lately. Don't know what to say other than I'm entranced. Shall say more later.

eyestrain

John Hassell/Brian Eno "Fourth World Vol. 1 - Possible Musics" CD (Editions EG): Scott Foust called this "superbly creamy and the perfect music for a hot night" in Swill Radio's recent update. We're hitting the hottest days of the summer in early September in Pennsy which is fucking atrocious, but anyway I needed some music to make it all better. I've always associated Eno discs with the library, so I trotted over and sure enough they had this. I've never tried to penetrate any of Eno's work before. An old roommate would always play some album by him, or at least a song, that was just a flurry of baby chicks tweeting. Drove me nuts, haha, and I wrote him off! Actually, I do own "The BBC Sessions" bootleg LP that Il Cane Lento released, but that's rock 'n' roll - and really good too.
The disc itself is rather disorienting, but in a slow and subtle method. Percussion is soft and constant, but the fogginess of the album convinces me its sporadic. Vocals, that could be male or female, are disembodied through effects and become something closer to a flute playing lackadaisically. Or maybe that's a synth? What is obviously a synth holds a similar space – that "lazer wind" noise that only works sometimes. And it does here. The "hot night" association is correct though. There's a presence of sticky, humid equatorial breezes happening during the whole album. The sinuses are thickening up, the sweat is rolling out of all the pores, the raised temperature in the brain making everything a little hazy, spirits entering the mind. Almost like a strange world music made up of all the "wrong" instruments. It's a pretty interesting and enjoyable listen. I think I'll savor this one for some time before I try anything else by Eno.

Michael Francis Duch "Tomba Emmanuelle" LP (Sofa): There must be some great power emanating throughout the Emanuel Vigeland's mausoleum. This doesn't even touch the surface of performers there, but I feel privileged to have heard this LP as well as Huntsville's "Past Increasing Future Receding" LP and Nicola Vinciguerra's "Plays Tomba Emmanuelle". Each of these three offer sounds of immense expansiveness (redundant, yes, but...). MFC's offering is the most monosyllabic of the bunch, but this does not mean the most mundane. Instead, I would say it captures the atmosphere (admittedly I've never been there – I'm going on assumption) more accurately than the others I've mentioned. A solo double-bass drones for the first half of the LP, somehow replicating itself constantly through the reverb in the room. It becomes a trio, but through only one hand. The natural acoustics of the instrument seem to fade away for the greater part of the whole album and we are left with something otherworldly. I could easily be convinced this were an Eleh recording at various points. I cannot even begin to fathom the melding of these sounds with the drab and overwhelming paintings that cover the whole space. The high ceilings swallowing up an ocean of sounds and relaying them back to the hearing field with a new, fascinating presence. Almost as if they've exited this sphere briefly, to visit the figures in the walls while being given new life. I sense a lot of thoughts on death and temporality being unavoidable were you to witness this. Listening to the record isn't too far in and of itself.

Dr Alex

Listening now "Dog" and "Love" cds from Bizarre Uproar. This is just rough transfer from tape to cd. It's sucks because tracks aren't separated. Anyway, it's good to have this material.