PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hvide Nætter - "Massernes Fremdrift" tape (Blodrøde Floder) - this sounds much more subtle and restrained that the live performance, but this is one of its strengths, actually. It's refreshing to hear music so clearly rooted in classic industrial but more delicate and laid-back, with extensive use of field recordings and quasi-ambient textures with some ritual undertones. Thought-out, well-composed and very well executed.

Sansernes Rus - "Retrospekt" tape (Blodrøde Floder) - side-project of JK from Hvide Nætter, this explores ambient territories with increased focus on both field recordings and more "traditional" soundscapes, occasionally rhythmic; however, not dismissing rougher sounds entirely, e.g. scraping metal in the third track where some vocals are also present. Perhaps I enjoyed this cassette a tiny little bit more than the previous one, but they're both really good.

cr

Playlist this weekend:
Canaan: Of prisoners, wandering souls and cruel fears
Concrete Mascara: The pursuit of hedonism in a police state
Amazing packaging, good sounds - great release!
Puce Mary: The Viewer
Whitehouse: Quality time
Händer Som Vårdar: Depopulation
Consumer Electronics: Sex Pig: USA Live
Propergol: Un Déchaînement De Violence / Cleanshaven
Hvide Nætter: Massernes Fremdrift
Mazakon Tactics: The entrancing Cage
Theta: Scire
Stemcell Research Project: Charnel Houses
Interracial Sex: Alternative Eugenics
Ramleh: Too many miles - Complete Singles 90-95

eyestrain

Helm - Shattered Miniatures (Ascetic House January Program): Tossing around a rip I found of this on Soulseek; sorry, couldn't be arsed with the whole buy-today! thing that was happening with these tapes. Anyway, I dig it. Younger has basically made his niche, and there's nothing new here really. You've got the wonky drumming from Silencer and the equally wonky synth from Impossible Symmetry, downer drone from Cryptography, tape playfulness from most of his discography and all that good shit. What is kinda new are the Troum-ish sounds found on "Dakhma" and "Gardens Of Solitude". I like those, but they're not as pleasing as his go-to palate.
Glenn Jones - The Wanting (Thrill Jockey): Perfect American Primitive guitarist. Sometimes he gets a little too straight-forward, but this recent LP was his best yet. I've been amping myself up for his new one that comes out soon.
Lungfish - Talking Songs For Walking (Dischord): Keeping it light-hearted. This was their best album. Feral Hymns, The Unanimous Hour and Sound In Time are eternally tied for second.

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: eyestrain on March 31, 2014, 02:59:49 AM
sorry, couldn't be arsed with the whole buy-today! thing that was happening with these tapes. Anyway, I dig it. Younger has basically made his niche, and there's nothing new here really. You've got the wonky drumming from Silencer and the equally wonky synth from Impossible Symmetry, downer drone from Cryptography, tape playfulness from most of his discography and all that good shit. What is kinda new are the Troum-ish sounds found on "Dakhma" and "Gardens Of Solitude". I like those, but they're not as pleasing as his go-to palate

Missed this one. Would have liked to get it. Just got HELM LP in mail last week, but no time to listen it yet.
However, yesterday just arrived PUCE MARY "The Viewer" tape. It was purely luck I managed to order it. I clicked on SI forum, and while I don't watch classified section constantly, these happened to be topic visible on main menu saying "New Puce Mary tape". And luckily it was exactly the day when order could be placed. So, few months(?) later tape finally arrives and it's worth of wait. Really good one. Dirty sounding industrial music basically. Rhythm, metal percussion, vocals. No melody, no "song patterns" per se, but well done tracks of old style rugged industrial sound. There is new tape coming on Freak Animal this month, which is perhaps cleaner sound closer to LP, but this tape here is perhaps equally rough as Ultimate Hypocrisy. Lots of tape hiss!

E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

P-K

Shift : altamont rising  lp    heavy HEAVY layered sound, vocals less buried...awesome.

FreakAnimalFinland

Waiting for that one... Good to see Shift full length finally out!

NUSLUX "Repeat Master II" tape
Lal lal lal
60th release of the Finnish label that very rarely gets mentioned when talking of Finnish noise. Well, perhaps because it's more of the goofy weirdo art scene, but this tape isn't bad at all! Roland SH2000, spring reverb and two Repeat Master tape decks result at best rough tape decay filled electronics, but at worst keyboards playing nonsense patterns. But surprisingly, even then it works out fairly well. If you'd want the finnish version of new wave of USA noise a.k.a. hipster noise a.k.a. funny costume noise, this is it. Among the best things I have heard from this side of Finnish scene. I guess I should give it a try more often...

AARON DILLOWAY " Medicine Stunts " tape
Lal lal lal
Maybe to celebrate Dilloways Finnish gigs, this tape just came out. One can actually recognize moments very similar what he played last saturday in Helsinki, but never quite as noisy. Fucked up tape loops and sounds slowly flowing for looong length tape (c-70). Good stuff. One could actually compare sound style / quality a bit with above mentioned Nuslux. Or lets say other way round. I'm quite sure Dilloways approach may have been influence there.

V/A TAPEWORKS VI tape
Hästen & Korset
Another strong line-up. Winners here Daniel Fagerström and Jaakko Vanhala. Lots of other goodies too! But guess enough said about this series in previous posts!

UMPIO / TORTURING NURSE split tape
tenzenmen
I recall I heard this Umpio stuff from advance cdr what artist gave to me. Perhaps little more "distant" and live feel on the recording. Not his best by any means, but still decent harsh noise.
Torturing Nurse offers harsh noise and screaming. Not bad, but after SOOOOOO much of great tapes in recent weeks, this barely reaches on average...

tiny_tove

Quote from: P-K on April 01, 2014, 03:04:12 PM
Shift : altamont rising  lp    heavy HEAVY layered sound, vocals less buried...awesome.

in heavy rotation
CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0

Baglady

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on April 01, 2014, 11:11:56 AM
There is new tape coming on Freak Animal this month, which is perhaps cleaner sound closer to LP, but this tape here is perhaps equally rough as Ultimate Hypocrisy. Lots of tape hiss!

Great news! Nice to see her getting released on other labels than PI so one can actually get them. Would be nice with a reissue of Success too. Already fetching 30-50 € I believe..

FreakAnimalFinland

wait and see...

GOLDEN RAIN "2010" tape
Filth & Violence
Finnish Project that gets quite rarely mentioned. This live tape collecting two live gigs from 2010 came out quite soon after they were recorded? I recall I recorded the shows, and the usual dull roar ("yeeaah! heya!") at end of gig at least indicates I was present, haha! Lots of loops, quite original vocal delivery, very electronic and "hi tech" effects, but also manual metal junk sounds and such things. I remember when someone mentioned this sounds like Deutsch Nepal, and I slightly objected, but I can see why someone would say so. I hope project would get more stuff done!

BIZARRE UPROAR "Private live 1/1/2012" tape
Filth & Violence
Another couple years old release, where BU is perhaps at his most well known phase? Rumbling noise, delay drenched vocals, chains, totally suffocated sound from bunker. Perhaps not absolute necessity in anyones BU collection, but still neat document of event.

UMPIO "Tripamishqi "-tape
Terror
One side fast and furious harsh noise cut ups, other side gloomy and atmospheric, but rotten junk and hiss. Very nice. Much better stuff here than the split with TN mentioned yesterday..

Bleak Existence

FALOT - vautré dans la nullité et protégé par l'éjaculation des serpents

FreakAnimalFinland

KNURL "Pyrolysis" tape
Terror
Good solid harsh noise. Appears live in studio metal junk noise through chain of distortion.

PRODEATH / SILENT ABUSE & BIZARRE UPROAR Live 16.9.2011
F&V
Prodeath doing good bestial sludgy anti-music with short blasts of grind. Sound is amazingly good (well, or lest say: suitable for style!). Perhaps better than their "studio" work?  SA+BU live was good when it happened, but lack of ruthless performance of SA makes the sound alone slightly one dimensional.

CHAINS OF DEATH COMMAND -live tape
F&V
One could say same as about Prodeath. Live sound actually better than any COFC "studio" releases have! Great GG Allin cover and songs known from COFC other releases & gigs. Noiserock at its most barbaryan form.

POGROM "live" tape
F&V
Loud and fierce power electronics. It starts very well, aggressive and raw, good vocal sound of manly roaring voice. In middle of set there is kind of lazier moment where appears like contact mics aren't working well for metal junk and rumbling static noise goes on and on, but closer to the end, vocals return and brutal noise continues and it's good again.

Noiseape

-DECHE CHARGE: disgrace to the corpse of seth LP (hell yeah, 1001 noisecore blasts make me happy!!)
-INCREDIBLE BONGO BAND: bongo rock 2xLP (After seeing the B-MOVIE ORCHESTRA live playing "Apache", i had to score this)
-KORGULL THE EXTERMINATOR: metal fist destroyer LP  (metal battle!!!!!!)
-HERESIARCH: hammer of intransigence LP (highly recommended!! violent death!)
-TEITANBLOOD: death 2xLP (just fucn devastating!!! another classic)
-FERETRUM: from far beyond LP (obscure demo on vinyl, sick early 90's death gem)
-FABIO FRIZZI: CITY OF THE LIVING DEATH: soundtrack LP (red vinyl)

Scat-O-Logy

Diapsiquir - A.N.T.I
Strangely, I thought I had heard this album already and wasn't supposed to like it but after finding out that Peste Noire will be releasing a split 10" with Diapsiquir, I decided to check them out "again" and now I'm completely obsessed by this album. How to describe their sound, well imagine Peste Noire making a baby with Woods Of Infinity and naming it Lifelover and you have Diapsiquir. One ugly motherfucker!

FreakAnimalFinland

WINTER LINE -tape
Aum War
Huh.. so what is this? Melodic keyboard music? I can't say much more detailed analysis than not my thing, and I don't like it.

TONGUE KNAX "Venus" tape
Lust Vessel
Good way to purify ears of such stuff is restless high pitch feedback dominated harsh noise blast of Tongue Knax! It's good and solid stuff. Only problem with some LV related things is that it's even too solid. Meaning that tapes are most often one thing, and one thing only. This luckily has 4 tracks on it, althout pallette of sounds TN operates remains quite similar, but still some variation. Lots of texture and several layers of things happening, though. And as usual: great sound!

K.P. "I could tell" tape
Hospital prod
Some dude known from multiple other projects, and releases on Gods of Tundra, Hospital etc.. This appears very anonymous project. Mix of harsh noise, tape experiments, broken electronics. Something you could indeed expect from Gods of Tundra or such USA labels few years back. It's good stuff, but hardly memorable.

FreakAnimalFinland

PRURIENT "Answer to god" tape
Hospital
Damn. I must repeat my conclusion that many of the best Prurient releases are hard to find and very limited tapes! This one recorded back in 2007 maybe represents Prurient at his most power electronic phase. Two killer tracks what would make neat 7", but even more someone should release compilation of Prurient short tapes. I know mr. Fernow will maybe object, as thematically most stuff are probably designed to stand alone. First side is something like Prurient's take to old Ramleh. Bassy background tones and high picthed vibrating feedback. Some vocals, cuts of noble music. On b-side utterly dark industrial noises and spoken narration of lyrics. Among both perhaps best Prurient tracks? So ltd 100 tape? Hmm.. well, you can get one from Discogs for 15 euro right now. C-10. Worth it or not. In this case, I'd say yes!

BLACK SAND DESERT "Lessons of Darkness" tape
Chondritic Sound
Ltd 51 copies back in 2008. Once in a while I ask why Greh's work was being so praised, while some of the (especially some Hive Mind) appears almost "autopilot" synth oscillation, void of human element what would make it particularly "Greh". But then stuff like Black Sand Desert where is goes far harsher realms of ripping, but extremely heavy harsh noise, I have no reason to doubt why people were worshipping his material! Heavy as fuck, crunchy noise. Even synth sounds are damaging and ripping. Occasionally slow and brooding, but especially b-side is restlessly busy, yet appears to be live recording and uncut. 30 minutes of pure noise bliss!

ALTAR OF FLIES "tour tape mars 2010" tape
Hästen & Korset 038
There appears to be also 2 tape special edition release also under name Tour tape mars 2010. This is ltd 32 copies sold in some gigs back then. Stuff is good, yet not as good as Altar Of Flies in recent years, but certainly worth owning and listening. Tape manipulation, synth sequences, obscure sounds. Perhaps more psychedelic electronic swirls and not yet repeating animal sounds and kids playing. B-side of tape is better one. First almost forceful atmosphere, and then spacey oscillations and deep tape-echo wash over things.