Revisiting tapes in your collection

Started by Cranial Blast, December 03, 2023, 03:39:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreakAnimalFinland

I think there is that listening habits topic where I may have talked about it. I have changed the way I listen stuff depending on situation in life, but for years it has been that I tend to listen new stuff, new arrivals and things I buy at work (record store, where no problem whatsoever to blast noise all day long) and when I go home, I usually listen couple more things during evening. They are almost without exception revisiting old things I have had for years, that has not been played in recent times. "Archive" is so huge, there are meters and meters of tapes that may have been played 10, 20, 30 years ago. Making discoveries in your own shelves is good thing to do and sometimes they remind me of people I used to be in touch, or labels & distros that used to exist. Many of the tapes have story how they ended in my hands, and others I simply don't even remember that I own them until I have copy in my hand, hah.. Been revisiting countless old releases this year, many being tapes. I don't digitize nor list anything I have.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Cranial Blast

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on December 09, 2023, 02:41:21 PMI think there is that listening habits topic where I may have talked about it. I have changed the way I listen stuff depending on situation in life, but for years it has been that I tend to listen new stuff, new arrivals and things I buy at work (record store, where no problem whatsoever to blast noise all day long) and when I go home, I usually listen couple more things during evening. They are almost without exception revisiting old things I have had for years, that has not been played in recent times. "Archive" is so huge, there are meters and meters of tapes that may have been played 10, 20, 30 years ago. Making discoveries in your own shelves is good thing to do and sometimes they remind me of people I used to be in touch, or labels & distros that used to exist. Many of the tapes have story how they ended in my hands, and others I simply don't even remember that I own them until I have copy in my hand, hah.. Been revisiting countless old releases this year, many being tapes. I don't digitize nor list anything I have.

Once a collection reaches archive type levels, which my own is becoming more and more of all the time, you're right, it becomes to a point where you don't revisit them as often and for some tapes, maybe not again for an even greater length of time, if at all. It's nice that you've got some space reserved for tapes to have them on display, so that you can at least venture down memory lane, so to speak. I like how you say, I don't remember owning some of these until the copy is in hand, haha. I've done similar things with CDs, I'll be going through the closet and I'll be like...I thought I didn't have this one? Or I don't have this anymore that I thought I had. I've only in the last year started to categorize what all I have, but I'm going purely off memory and I bet if I went in my closet and pulled each and every item out of there, I'd missing lot of things to add to that list. I started digitizing a lot of my tapes a few years ago, but now my laptop has completely ran out disc space and it's gotten to the point that some of my newer tapes are piling up that I cannot get digitized as it's a pain in the ass with the lack of disc space, because then I've got to delete things from the laptop to make room for new things and I've got a book where I take off what was on, lines where I got new entries post back up. It's becoming fucking chaos trying to keep a proper order of things, so I can completely understand why when a collection becomes larger or more archival that the want for preserving the media in digital form, becomes almost out the question, unless you want to go completely mad in the process, haha.

moozz

Get an external hard drive. You can get 4 TB for $100 or so. That's more space than you can rip tapes without losing your sanity (or what's left of it).

Cranial Blast

Quote from: moozz on December 14, 2023, 11:21:58 PMGet an external hard drive. You can get 4 TB for $100 or so. That's more space than you can rip tapes without losing your sanity (or what's left of it).

It's funny you mention that. I had actually purchased a 5 TB external hard drive about 3 years ago. I didn't back my library up at that time, because I thought that it would take an eternity, but when I got the cooling fan on my laptop fixed by this guy who fixes laptops, I had mentioned to him about backing up all the music files with the external hard drive and he says, oh man...I bet that will take at least 6-7 hours and I'm thinking... that's nothing! I had visions of it taking forever, hence why I've been putting it for so long. I've always been looking for a open week where I'd be free to do this feat, here it turns out not such a task after all and I actually did back it all up last week finally. I appreciate your feedback though mate :) now I can kind of start a pre back up list and post back up list...should alleviate some of the insanity, haha.