Your Favorite Metal Releases.

Started by RyanWreck, January 11, 2012, 09:00:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ConcreteMascara

Also, I don't think anyone has mentioned Japan's Coffins or Anatomia but fuckkk yeah.

I mean Anatomia is basically Japan's answer to Autopsy. Which fucking rules.

And I don't know if anyone ever used to listen to Hellchild but they laid the groundwork for a lot of the good Japanese metal bands around today. Especially with albums Where the Conflict Reaches and Circulating Contradictions.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

Zeno Marx

Coffins has the worst guitar tone I've heard in years.  WalMart's budget version of Celtic Frost effects.  So plastic and weak.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

bitewerksMTB

Has anyone ever told you that you are a bit of a drama queen? Coffins guitar-tone is no better or no worse than 1000 other bands.

Zeno Marx

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on February 29, 2012, 12:21:24 AMCoffins guitar-tone is no better or no worse than 1000 other bands.
To my ears, it stands out as something particular as well as something bad.  There are obviously other bands with shitty guitar tone or horrible choice in production values, but Coffins is unique because of how poorly it works with their riff style (Celtic Frost aping).  I've tried a few of their albums, too.  I remember Mortuary in Darkness being the worst in this regard, but I found all of them shared similar shittiness to some degree.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

acsenger

QuoteYea, I mean they aren't all that bad of a band (they know how to play their shit, no one can argue that) but I wouldn't buy their shit. I've always seen being "weird", or technical or "difficult" just for the sake of it, lame. Most of their material is complete "wankery", the epitome of overdramatiscized "talent". The rhythm loves his groovy riffs and triplets, the drummer utilizes poly-rhythms with little bass-drum work (POLKA!) Aimless mathcore stumbling with groove. No thank you.

I think that's being too harsh on Meshuggah, although it is true to a lesser extent. I think Contradictions Collapse, Destroy Erase Improve and Chaosphere are awesome albums, but the quality of subsequent albums is indeed lower. I only like certain songs on Nothing and I still can't believe how much worse that album in general is compared to their previous stuff. It was rather similar to Chaosphere but it was mostly boring. I gotta give Catch Thirtythree a listen again as I haven't heard it in years (what I remember most is the (I think) Autotune vocals in the middle were a putoff for me). ObZen had some great songs (Bleed being the best) but the rest just sounded the same as their previous stuff -- boring again. The EPs I quite like, although I still don't know how much I like I. If memory serves me right, that EP again contained nothing really new. And that leaked song (Break Those Bones Whose Sinews Gave It Motion) from the upcoming album is a major disappointment - sounds like it could've been on Nothing; quite boring. So while I don't agree fully with the criticism above because even their last couple albums have great songs on them, the majority of these albums is, sadly, quite accurately described by it.
Meshuggah invented a style entirely their own and perfected it very quickly, only to not be able to progress it further and start stagnating. I still have high hopes for their new album and really hope they find a way to move forward.

Reprobate

No Craft? Total Soul Rape is one of my favorite albums. I have too many favorite albums/bands to list. Grew up listening to hardcore and got into metal through that. Converge, Slayer, Despise You, Hatred Surge, Black Sabbath, Electric Wizard, Eyehategod, Craft, Burzum (Filsofem especially), Katharsis, Integrity, Neurosis, Sunn 0))), Boris, Entombed are some favorites. But I could go on forever.

Reprobate

I strongly disagree with that statement. You could argue that any band is no specific genre, but all of the bands I listed have plenty of metal aesthetics. To me, they qualify as metal bands.

bitewerksMTB

Eyehategod fall into the sludge metal genre which, I think, they pretty much started.  I remember a friend & I finding their 1st LP in an Austin recordstore; we had never heard of them so the buy was based solely on the artwork. "Dopesick" is my fave.

Reprobate

Mine too. Take as Needed for Pain is good too.

martialgodmask

Quote from: Reprobate on March 21, 2012, 12:30:22 AM
Take as Needed for Pain is good too.

My fave. Always felt more of a punk vibe from them but certainly appropriate for metal discussion too I would say.

I have a hard-on for Bolt Thrower again.

Reprobate

There's no doubt that there's a HUGE punk influence in their music, but I didn't see a discussion topic for favorite sludgy punk bands. haha. Bolt Thrower brings the instant headbang.

martialgodmask

Quote from: Reprobate on March 21, 2012, 02:11:15 AM
There's no doubt that there's a HUGE punk influence in their music, but I didn't see a discussion topic for favorite sludgy punk bands. haha. Bolt Thrower brings the instant headbang.

I was trying to think about the best BT album and, difficult a decision as it is, IVth Crusade still tops for me.

ARKHE

dISEMBOWELMENT. Listening to the demos now on the Relapse 2cd reissue, holy hell this shit is heavy...

RyanWreck

Been listening to Slowly We Rot, the first Obituary album all day today. In my opinion one of the very first true Death Metal albums to crash in with the first wave. Death SBG and Possessed were both Thrash fueled, the latter being purely Thrash to my ears.

I went to an old thrift store today that I visited a few months back and had seen some tapes there that I thought I liked (couldn't remember since I was drunk) and sure enough they were still there. Got the first S/T Rigor Mortis (even though I already have it on CD) for $1.00 and a couple of more underground releases that I haven't listened to much yet, one is Mortuary and the other I can't read the logo but it looks like it may be some run of the mill American 90's DM or Grind tape (copyright says '93) that I probably won't like but you can't beat $1.00 a tape!

*just popped the un-named one in and it seems to be Crust. Oh well, it goes to my trade list once I find out the name.

HONOR_IS_KING!

Quote from: Reprobate on March 21, 2012, 12:30:22 AM
Mine too. Take as Needed for Pain is good too.

Watching them play that album front to back live was incredible.

Speaking of which, anyone dig the Buried at Sea cover of White Nigger? Probably the only band to cover an EHG track and give it justice + then some more.
KOUFAR x TERROR CELL UNIT
https://soundcloud.com/crimesofthecrown

PSALM 109