Purchase List

Started by Otomo_Hava, May 24, 2013, 09:30:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaakko V.

Gotta say I was somewhat disappointed by that Swans record. But listened it through only once this far... We'll see if it grows with time.

Scat-O-Logy

Quote from: Salamanauhat on June 03, 2014, 08:47:55 PM
Gotta say I was somewhat disappointed by that Swans record. But listened it through only once this far... We'll see if it grows with time.

For me it's definitely the best record of 2014 (so far). What was the most disappointing aspect of it? Simply hard to digest or what? By the way, what's your opinion on The Seer? At the moment I feel that The Seer is more superior of the two but this is still very solid album and it's going to get many plays in my household. Gonna test it on my fathers hi-fi set tomorrow - can't wait! :-P

Scat-O-Logy

Some UK tapes:

Bagman - For Kenneth McKenna (Crucial Blast - Infernal 021)
Bagman - In Their Blood And From The Gutter (Crucial Blast - Infernal 022)
Bagman - Welcome To My Fucking Misery (Crucial Blast - Infernal 023)

Stark - Untitled (Purge Electronics - none)
Various - Hatred Is Nothing Without Action (Unrest Productions - UFoI 01)

Scat-O-Logy

Loving the kitty! Mine is 12 year old fart.

Scat-O-Logy

Quote from: Dr Alex on June 06, 2014, 05:14:33 PM
Quote from: Scat-O-Logy on June 06, 2014, 04:59:06 PM
Loving the kitty! Mine is 12 year old fart.

Thank you! He is just 2 month old. I have 3 old cats and 2 little ones in the backyard. :)

Crazy (s)cat man!

ConcreteMascara

Clockcleaner - Auf-Wiedersehen 12"
Seven Sisters of Sleep - Seven Sisters of Sleep LP
Bloodlet - Entheogen 2xLP
Vasaeleth - All Uproarious Darkness 12"
Vastum - Patricidal Lust LP
Light Bearer - Silver Tongue 2xLP
Thou - Ceremonies of Humiliation 3xLP
Xenophobic Ejaculation Box Set
Taklamakan vs Umpio - Interaxion Venenosa LP
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

ConcreteMascara

Seven Sisters of Sleep / Shaman's Owl - Split 10"

M Tinnemans, S Hynninen, T Ketola - Tabula Obscura book

CDs
Dead Congregation - Promulgation of the Fall
Grave Upheaval - Untitled
Teitanblood - Death
Coffins - March of Despair
Verde - Petoviha
Impetuous Ritual - Unholy Congregation of Hypocritical Ambivalence
Salem's Pot - ...Lurar ut dig på prärien
Umpio + irr. app. (ext.) ‎– Observation Affects The Outcome
Riko Goto Trio ‎– Unbalance
Riko Goto Trio ‎– Six Colors

Tapes
Umpio - Opium Electronix I-III ‎
UN aka Turds Of Prey* / Umpio ‎– Initiation / Karu V

http://i.imgur.com/H8K6jRX.jpg
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

Marko-V

ENDVRA: Biomechanical... 10"
BAD SECTOR: Jesus blood 10"
SOPHIA: Aus der welt 10"
AH CAMA-SOTZ: Poison 10"
CONTROL: Over machinenfest, paris and berlin (tape)
GRUNT: archive box set
PAIN NAIL: Magneettinen kohtalo (tape)
VESA-MATTI LOIRI: Roudari Roope / Uuno Turhapuro 7"
TAPANI KANSA: Rockabilly paukkuu 7"
some unidentified japanese "court music" 7"
OLAVI VIRTA: Kun ilta ehtii / Annabella 7"
BORIS: Statement / Floor shaker 7"
Various Artists: Nasty rockabilly (10-CD box set)

IMHO the latest one is clearly the best of the bunch. Fuck all the genre borders.

Marko-V

Quote from: Dr Alex on June 07, 2014, 02:05:14 PM
Quote from: Marko-V on June 07, 2014, 01:27:55 PM
BAD SECTOR: Jesus blood 10"
SOPHIA: Aus der welt 10"

Killer releases!!! I must grab that Bad Sector somewhere.

The best of all... I found them for 5 euros a piece (used) at a local record store which usually don't sell that kind of stuff.

Jaakko V.

Quote from: Scat-O-Logy on June 03, 2014, 09:38:37 PM

For me it's definitely the best record of 2014 (so far). What was the most disappointing aspect of it? Simply hard to digest or what? By the way, what's your opinion on The Seer? At the moment I feel that The Seer is more superior of the two but this is still very solid album and it's going to get many plays in my household. Gonna test it on my fathers hi-fi set tomorrow - can't wait! :-P

I don't think there are songs on it. But I don't find other type of substance either. I know many of these tracks are originally based on improvisation/jamming, but while that method in theory has the ability to carry the listener to somewhere else, or create a musical adventure of sorts, I don't find it here. It feels lazy and uninspired. No catchy riffs really or anything, just the basic E-strumming, on which one plucks mostly the first three notes of blues scale in random order, with a bunch of effects... It's about the "sound", and while this may feel interesting to some studio musician guys, coming from the experimental direction it doesn't impress in that way either. I mean this stuff can be heard from every rehearsal room where the band decides to "jam" a "psychedelic", "trancelike" or "mysterious" sounding stuff. Very standard stuff, and rather boring in my opinion. Mostly the material on this album feels like the moments *between* the actual jams where it really sets off. I think it's unnecessarily long with only a couple of good ideas. It feels like wading through a field of mud while going through a severe bout of constipation. Just not my cup of tea, but I can still see why this would resonate with others anyhow.

Edit: 'The Seer' was really good in my opinion, but too long also. That they play such long gigs and make such long albums feels a bit like a gimmick.

C601

Quote from: ConcreteMascara on June 07, 2014, 12:08:27 AM

Clockcleaner - Auf-Wiedersehen 12"
Seven Sisters of Sleep - Seven Sisters of Sleep LP
Bloodlet - Entheogen 2xLP
Vasaeleth - All Uproarious Darkness 12"
Vastum - Patricidal Lust LP
Light Bearer - Silver Tongue 2xLP
Thou - Ceremonies of Humiliation 3xLP
Xenophobic Ejaculation Box Set
Taklamakan vs Umpio - Interaxion Venenosa LP

where did u get the XE boxset from?

Scat-O-Logy

Quote from: Salamanauhat on June 09, 2014, 03:18:55 PM
Quote from: Scat-O-Logy on June 03, 2014, 09:38:37 PM

I don't think there are songs on it. But I don't find other type of substance either. I know many of these tracks are originally based on improvisation/jamming, but while that method in theory has the ability to carry the listener to somewhere else, or create a musical adventure of sorts, I don't find it here. It feels lazy and uninspired. No catchy riffs really or anything, just the basic E-strumming, on which one plucks mostly the first three notes of blues scale in random order, with a bunch of effects... It's about the "sound", and while this may feel interesting to some studio musician guys, coming from the experimental direction it doesn't impress in that way either. I mean this stuff can be heard from every rehearsal room where the band decides to "jam" a "psychedelic", "trancelike" or "mysterious" sounding stuff. Very standard stuff, and rather boring in my opinion. Mostly the material on this album feels like the moments *between* the actual jams where it really sets off. I think it's unnecessarily long with only a couple of good ideas. It feels like wading through a field of mud while going through a severe bout of constipation. Just not my cup of tea, but I can still see why this would resonate with others anyhow.

I get what you mean, this is definitely not your regular album. I think the catchiness lies within the groovy vibes of the compositions (that are indeed pretty one-dimensional). That being said, I have always been and still am very fond of simple music, especially when it's as heavy as Swans. The album is definitely about "sound" and sound quality itself. I noticed this while listening to the album on my fathers hifi set. He is very focused on recording quality, sometimes even more than the music itself, and he said that this is one of the best sounding records of all time. And while I was blasting this beast on his set, I couldn't but nod my head in agreement. I must admit that I'm somewhat a sucker for Swans and that might blur my judgement but then again, like you said, it's obvious why some likes this. I think best tracks are the ones that doesn't end in that noisy chaos. It didn't really serve any purpose to me and sounded very forced, like they simply had to do it because "that's Swans". Best tracks are definitely the ones that didn't end like that.