PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Into_The_Void

Wutanes Heer "Opus Alchymicum" a mix between rhythmic noise and industrial with etheral synth parts, utterly distorted and pitched vocals mixed with yells, noise loops and a ghastly eerie atmosphere..an hostile work but extremely fascinating for me. Released by the excellent Membrum Debile Propaganda. Someone knows if the mastermind Luca is still active somehow?
https://sabruxa.bandcamp.com/ (Industrial / ambient)

Obedient2

Quote from: Manhog_84 on October 02, 2026, 01:18:56 PM
Quote from: Krigsverk on September 24, 2026, 04:41:31 PMBizarre Uproar - Hate, Metal & Lust - Singles collection 1993 – 2022 (CD Wrath)


As expected, a mixed bag of candy. Some sweet, others not so sweet. I have heard half of the material before, so it is mostly a handy way of listening to a bunch of 7" for me and catch up on the ones I have missed. What is evident here is the evolution of the BU sound, and a great way of experiencing that. Another added bonus is the shorter track-length, it adds more variation - a perfect record to play multiple times. Spinning it a third time today currently!

I wonder if these are ripped straight from vinyl? The '90s stuff most likely at least is. There's some variation on sound volume between the tracks but overall this was a great comp. I was otherwise well aware of where the tracks are from, but Pestilence box set 1994? Never even heard of that one. Aesthetically well put together: 7" size cardboard covers for the comp of 7" tracks.

Yeah agree with this. I think I am enjoying the rarities box even more. Varying track lengths and styles again. The first CD is very good.

Anyone got the new Linekraft 7" and care to share a review? I am debating picking it up... I don't really enjoy playing 7"s but Linekraft could convince me, especially if the material is on the more intense end.

Fistfuck Masonanie

#10082
Borbetomagus - Buncha Hair That Long (Agaric Records, 1992)

Oh! This one opens up with some deep bellowing sound. Almost like pagan war horns sounding before battle... at times the saxophones and guitar blend so well together, it's difficult to pinpoint who is making what sounds.

The trio of Jim, Don, and Donald return with a follow-up album to their classic, Snuff Jazz.

Snuff Jazz is more jazz punk, with feral energy and ferocity. Buncha Hair That Long explores different textures. The tones and timbres are deeper and lower in the register. The rapid attack is somewhat replaced with longer tones. The three musicians really lock into that full band sound often mentioned in their liner notes. A live river of flowing sounds weaving among one another.

This album also has something rare among other Borbetomagus albums... a cover song! The album ends with a rendition of Blue Jay Way, which is originally by The Beatles and written by George Harrison.

I'm still impressed with how fresh Borbetomagus can sound from album to album. They are not a group that produces the same release over and over again. Always searching and exploring something different.

Skin Flick

Quote from: Obedient2 on October 03, 2026, 01:45:05 AMAnyone got the new Linekraft 7" and care to share a review? I am debating picking it up... I don't really enjoy playing 7"s but Linekraft could convince me, especially if the material is on the more intense end.

I got a rip from a friend and really dug it. Didn't realize it's a reissue of a tape he released last year but man, he nails it as usual. Bleak, rage-against-society noise.

Obedient2

Breaking into the new Deterge requires legitimate effort unless you have one of those magnets. You even have to puncture the tapes to get them to play because there are no holes in the cassette art.

I decided to fully buy into the experience and break in. Got the first tape on now. Very eerie, cold, mininmal ambient music but there is melody under there at times, dare I say warmth?

I guess because of the theme, it sort of reminds me of those Ron Morelli albums on Hospital about the stock market. This is like that dialled up to 11 though in terms of commitment to the concept.

Hats off to Jim for this plus Be Prepared this year. 2 absolutely monumental Deterge releases and the packaging/thoughtfulness is second to none.

k.p.g

Suppression / Coagulative Necrosis - Split (Liquid Pathogen Productions / Chaotic Noise Suppressions)
Both groups bring forward their most aggressive forms here.  The precision at which Suppression played their tracks was downright impressive.  Coagulative with live drums was once an idea that did not seem possible when the group were born, but now is the sound I prefer from them!  This split has perhaps their best material with this configuration.  Great one, short one, easy to revisit in quick succession.

Robert Fuchs - C.O.T.H. (Usagi)
My first revisit of this disc since it probably came out.  It's a much colder disc than I had previously remembered, as I often found the sounds here to be indifferent to the listener's attention.  Dissociating would seem to be the move here but I wanted to listen with intent and see what was going on.  There's plenty of repetition to be had but mostly, each composition just takes its time to get where it has to go; low volume almost always. 
There will be no payoff for the listener, no pounding loop that gets your head nodding.  It just... happens, and it's really great for doing so.  I liken my experience hear to when you hear some household appliance start making a strange noise.  You fixate your ears on it, hoping to see if you are going to hear a big BOOM that'll force you to call a plumber, mechanic whatever.  Waiting for that moment drives you mad, but boy is the tension in that moment just a thrill.  That's what C.O.T.H. is, and boy, is it a thrill.

Various Artists - At Stupidity's Door: A Collection of Stupid Noises (Stupidity Records)
Simply calling this "stupid" would be doing it a disservice.. It is EXCEPTIONALLY stupid!  If you want to know anything about shitcore, reckless teenage abandon, etc., then look no further than here!  With a lineup that features Traci Lords Loves Noise, Black Mayonnaise, Nut Screamer and more, you will hear plenty of lo-fi greatness shoved in between a bunch of fucking dumbasses yelling about fucking their own asses, hating posers and whatever else it is we all did at 19 years old.  Hah.  Peaceful Sunday music, essentially.
Dead Door Unit
French Market Press
etc.

tiny_tove

Quote from: Into_The_Void on October 02, 2026, 10:43:36 PMWutanes Heer "Opus Alchymicum" a mix between rhythmic noise and industrial with etheral synth parts, utterly distorted and pitched vocals mixed with yells, noise loops and a ghastly eerie atmosphere..an hostile work but extremely fascinating for me. Released by the excellent Membrum Debile Propaganda. Someone knows if the mastermind Luca is still active somehow?

No he is not unfortunately. He departed from the "scene" long time ago. super cool and funny guy.
CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0

k.p.g

Merzbow - Artificial Invagination (Vanilla Records)
I often wish that 90s Merzbow would have more trimmed down selections in his discography so I could invest in a full listen on limited time (lunch breaks, for example).  When I do get my wish here though, I immediately think "wait this could've been longer... he's just getting started!!"  Hah.  So I ran it back twice.
Not much I can really say here, as I think most people know this one is fantastic.  It cycles through full blown noise assaults to psychedelic metal work with some rather strange editing work for Merzbow.  It's not as slick as I have become used to him being but I think that gives this particular piece a lot more charm.  Maybe the time restraint made Masami quicker to leave things on the cutting room floor?

Slacking / Private Collector - Split (not on label)
Picked this one up from the show the other weekend that these two were on.  It's a short one but serves as a great showcase of both artists in their current iteration.  Slacking's portion starts off with chirping synth swells before bursting into some murky ambience.  Private Collector track is a weird one, sampling what sounds like a coughing fit over more nasty and melting electronic fry.  Just 2 very good tracks to sink your teeth into with glee... also comes with a neat bandana!
Dead Door Unit
French Market Press
etc.

k.p.g

#10088
Bastard Noise - Ancient and Unknown Brutality (Triage Industries / Amongst the Waves)
A collection of odds and ends from the early days of the project that vary in quality.  The earliest track of barely functioning electronics are all pretty entertaining and engaging, while the back half kind of meanders with unreleased collaborations.  It's not near my favorite releases from the project but contains more than enough material to keep my attention.

AA - TAApes D'égoïsme (self-released)
A really great collection of assorted tape manipulation and darkness from this lowkey project.  Pieces either work towards sound collage that collapses at a seconds notice or slowly builds into hazy crawls that feel like they draw on for an eternity.  Rather than a tightly knit album, this tape serves as one of those great "testing ground" mixtapes that I adore so much.  Art on here is equally impressive, with the stamping and illustrations making me wonder how they went about doing such a thing.
Dead Door Unit
French Market Press
etc.

k.p.g

Evil Acidhead - Depths of Satan (Ugly American Tapes)
Absolutely mental work from John McBain of Monster Magnet fame, finding a fine line between 80s cassette culture experiments and the soon-to-be revamped acid rock scene of the 90s that bands like his, Kyuss & Church of Misery would flourish in.  Only instruments credited here are guitar and sampler and it really proves that less is more, as the interplay between the two makes for a hellish cacophony.  Incredibly curious to check out what other releases from this project sound like now.
Dead Door Unit
French Market Press
etc.

Fistfuck Masonanie

#10090
Borbetomagus - Experience The Magic (Agaric Records, 1993)

Couple of interesting things about this one. First, it was recorded at the famous CBGB's. Second, none of the boys are credited for their usual instruments.

Jim is supposedly on a glass harmonica, Don on accordion, and Donald on the harp...

Not buying that for a second. There are no sweet harp sounds, no pristine glass harmonica, or accordion. There is no way those instruments could produce this absolute racket! (*I know, I know. It's a joke on the cover art. Everyone is actually playing their usual instruments.)

The title of the first track captures the sound well, "Bathed in the Blood of the Lamb". Very fitting to describe the violence of this performance. It's a standout in the discography, in my opinion. I'll use the word again, it's violent, very violent.

The acoustic properties of the saxophones are so fucking harsh. Those naturally vibrating metal frequencies and harmonics produce something that electronics can't replicate. There are certain moments where the force and vibrations sound like industrial metal scraping. I find Borbetomagus so satisfying in this regard.

When the screech of the saxophones and the feedback from the guitar mix together in this unified amalgam of sound, there is no equivalent. The second track, Grunion Run, really represents this well, and it's steeped in guitar feedback and distortion that conjoins with all of the saxophone sounds perfectly together.

Also, the recording quality on this release is the right level of gritty that just makes it sound that much harsher.

This is up there with Live at Inroads, Live in Allentown, or Snuff Jazz as far as harshness and full-on attack. Any fans of those discs who haven't heard this one yet will enjoy it.