logic of micro release within noise?

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, December 18, 2010, 10:50:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bitewerksMTB

"Then if I make more, give them a percentage?"

That's the deal on tapes Gaping Hole releases. % of the original batch then more artist copies  if he does another run. So far, I don't think another batch of the MANIA tape has been made. First 100 probably never sold out though I should inquire...

I would think for most PE/HN tapes, 100 is enough & for most vinyl, 200-300 is more than enough. Someone like Genocide Organ could easily do 1000 LPs & sell out maybe a couple of months later than just pressing 500. I can't imagine even Prurient selling out more than 1000 Lps & copies being very hard to find.

HONOR_IS_KING!

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on December 19, 2010, 10:37:16 AM
Disgust, the band I see is being worshipped by some people as great new force bending the line between pe &.. ehm.. "grind"? Perhaps close to old Bloodyminded?

Not so much bending the line but as Andy from the Endless Blockade put, Power Electronics with a Power Violence influence (mentality, ideals, imagery, covers of songs, etc). I'm probably misquoting Andy but I've forgotten what page its on, on his survivalist blogspot.

Who's Bloodyminded?
KOUFAR x TERROR CELL UNIT
https://soundcloud.com/crimesofthecrown

PSALM 109

Nyodene D

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on September 29, 2011, 09:46:53 PM

That's the deal on tapes Gaping Hole releases. % of the original batch then more artist copies  if he does another run. So far, I don't think another batch of the MANIA tape has been made. First 100 probably never sold out though I should inquire...

I would think for most PE/HN tapes, 100 is enough & for most vinyl, 200-300 is more than enough. Someone like Genocide Organ could easily do 1000 LPs & sell out maybe a couple of months later than just pressing 500. I can't imagine even Prurient selling out more than 1000 Lps & copies being very hard to find.

What about CD runs?  the 300-500 range is typically more than you could ever need to print unless you're CMI or Tesco.  300-500 is usually the minimum (for Euro and US respectively), and while it's great (and actually cheaper) to press things in bulk order of 1000, I don't see the backroom label really effectively moving 1000 units over the course of the few years that most labels operate...

bitewerksMTB

I have no clue on cd runs (just didn't think about'em). Seems like 500 is more than enough. 1000 would last for a few years probably. If one runs a distro & has the space then having releases that are available for a year(s) is a good thing. Some titles may sell then nothing then interest can pick up again. After money has been made back, you can always lower the price, run specials...

PTM Jim

Quote from: HONOR_IS_KING! on September 30, 2011, 03:20:35 AM

Who's Bloodyminded?

Amazing.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.  Since I started doing 100, I've only sold out of 1 (the AODL) and almost another (the Urine Cop/Vomir).
Surprisingly, I get asked about old Deterge stuff the most and (painfully) have to say it's sold out.  I guess I'm really just screwing myself over there though.

Goat93

Quote from: Nyodene D on September 30, 2011, 06:14:43 PM
Quote from: bitewerksMTB on September 29, 2011, 09:46:53 PM

What about CD runs?  the 300-500 range is typically more than you could ever need to print unless you're CMI or Tesco.  300-500 is usually the minimum (for Euro and US respectively), and while it's great (and actually cheaper) to press things in bulk order of 1000, I don't see the backroom label really effectively moving 1000 units over the course of the few years that most labels operate...

Depends of Luck and how much promotion you run. Mostly 300 are more than enough, but when something is catched by "Fans", you can sell lots more. Otherwise, as typicial Paradoxe, much stuff sells at Ebay for insane prices and a Repress won't sell well.

bitewerksMTB

Small editions were not a huge problem before the internet. When I did tapes in the '90s, the edition was decided on basically how many people I was writing at the time or how many tapes I felt like making (It was never an issue to make up a few more if needed). Of course, now it's so much easier to sell so making 20 copies of a tape and announcing it publicly is pretty ridiculous. Anyone should have 20 contacts to sell to privately.

tisbor

I thought it was about very very small tapes.
I have no problems with limited releases, especially if they're somehow worth it: elaborated packaging, weird inserts..

GEWALTMONOPOL

It's hard not to ponder The Ubearable Fagotry of Being when a release "limited to 9" is shouted from the rooftops by some wall loser. It only gets better when the same fat loser announces an hour or so later that it's "sold out". As if it's an achievement or something.
Först när du blottar strupen ska du få nåd, ditt as...