PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreakAnimalFinland

you mean MITB / AUNT MARY split 10" ?
That's different. It also came out as 10" reissue (of original 7"), and is certainly worth to get! Especially Aunt Mary 1991 7" release crushes 7" they did later, about 10:1..

Markkula & Wood did so many of these things, it can be little confusing.

I think their splits are at the moment:
MITB / Aunt Mary split 7" (later 10")
MITB / Bizarre Uproar split 7" (later 10")
MITB / Bizarre Uproar / UND "Sources of power.." LP (two different cover editions)
Bastard Noise / Bizarre Uproar split 7"
Bastard Noise / Bizarre Uproar split CD
and all these are different releases with different material.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

deathcamp

SURVIVAL UNIT "Murder for the Mission"
Autarkeia
First try after reading the dedicated threat on this forum. So, this is the re-release of a tape from 2005 on a 3 panel digipack CD, 7 live tracks from the same period are added. What the hell, I've listened it 3 times, forgeting the other stuff I've ordered with! Very well constructed PE/Noise which never lacks this "wild" side, each track has it's own personnality. Great.

IRM "Red Album"
Autarkeia
Classic.

eyestrain

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on May 31, 2014, 11:22:42 AM
WALDTEUFEL "Eines Gottes Spur" 10"
Charming clumsy touch in all.
This is what I've always loved about Herr Wolff's tunes.

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on May 31, 2014, 03:56:24 PM
V/A "STEIN" 2xLP+7"
Verlautbarung
EXTREMELY nice looking compilation. Not only that, but just brilliant listening. I won't go on detail on who did what, but line-up is such great and with diversity in all ways (new/old, bad boys/good boys, etc). Some personal favorites Irgun Z'wai Leumi, Amph, Hal Hutchinson, Jeph Jerman, Clew Of Theseus, Doroga, Dieter Muh, Ochu. But no bad stuff here. Very very well made compilation with perfect presentation.
Was finally able to ogle over this comp yesterday. It's true, everyone delivers - although I wasn't too moved by Contrastate. Also, nice surprises from Clew Of Theseus (harsh industrial-ish, instead of drone), Niellerade Fallibilisthorstar (looping and intense, instead of jammy scrap sounds) and Jeph Jerman (very Hands To, instead of stone sounds like I expected). Nice booklet too!

Zeno Marx

Muslimgauze - several albums post-1998 - possibly (likely) the worst music I've ever heard in my life, and I'm neither exaggerating nor saying that without surprise - I hate Leo Sayer and Chuck Mangione, but they aren't completely lost on me why someone would listen to them. I cannot say the same for these Muslimgauze ideas, and really, that's all they are; just horrible ideas that play out even worse as music.  And if he wasn't obsessed with the Beastie Boys, I'd be amazed.  (Beastie Boys are great)

Analogy - s/t 1972 - great prog/krautrock with interesting female vocals.
Inquisition 2014-02-22 Chemnitz - not the best live recording, but I had no problems with it.
Grateful Dead 2014 subscription disc 1969-12-11 partial show - fantastic.
Comsat Angels - Sleep No More 1981 - I really like the music a lot, but I do not care for his vocals much. The songs feel longer than they are because they weave ideas so well. Great 80s psychedelia, too. I haven't found the BBC session yet.
Comsat Angels - Waiting for a Miracle 1980 - not very intersting at all - unless listening for historical reference, I'd see no reason to listen to this again - contains an EP, the demo, and some outtakes.

Niyaz - Nine Heavens 2CD 2008
Two discs, each with the same songs. One is contemporary with electronics, etc. The second is all acoustic. If you're interested in the Toward the Within vibe; heavy on percussion and an improvised feel, the acoustic disc is highly recommended. They're both top shelf, but I tend to listen to the acoustic more often. 13th and 18th century traditionals arranged with both electronic elements and then with all acoustic instruments. I'm surprised more DCD fans haven't taken to Niyaz and her.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Andrew McIntosh

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on May 31, 2014, 11:22:42 AM
Sacher-Pelz "cainus" LP on Urashima and jesus christ what a turd!!

Not trying to start any shit or change your mind, but I just have to come up and say I disagree. There are moments around the second half when it does drag, but it comes back from that. There's even better material on latter albums. Leaving aside status and so forth, I genuinely like Sacher Pelz, although my prejudice against vinyl would forbid me from getting the Urashima re-release. Anyone interested in SP's earlier material (including "Cainus") really should try to get the box set from Marquis, copies of which are still available on Discogs - all four tapes on cd with a nice lot of inserts if that's your bag.
Shikata ga nai.

FreakAnimalFinland

haha, no problem! When writing comment, i was almost adding that this kind of thing is something one may think of listening some particular Industrial Recollections releases. Lets say Goldenrod "Brigada Nord" CD for example. I'm quite sure there are people who can't understand is there any REAL reason why those were released beyond connection to Streicher (and Macro/S&Q/Odal), as they are so brutally blunt and rough. Up to taste & personal gut feeling to some extent, but still quite relevant target to criticize...
Anyways, I have few copies of all 4 vinyls in catalogue, so I'd be glad to see there is more people who like this stuff, haha!

Problem with Sacher-Pelz vinyls is also that since sound is so suffocated, main thing you hear is the vinyl surface noise. I would suspect CD release works better for these.

m.

Gulag - s/t (Basement Tapes)
old recordings, mid '90s industrial from Denver. really nice tape, including poster and interview with former members (now in Waldteufel).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpCLomZKVvI

Andrew McIntosh

The sound on the cds is pretty damn murky. It's interesting that on the more recent SP "In Hoc Urbia" release there's this strange, high-impact buzzing sound that is also apparent on the MB release "Organemia" (almost the same sound), and the latter is basically repetition of loops a la earlier SP. Not sure what the hell he's doing but it's all part of the intrigue for me.

The "right time and place" element with a lot of material is an important factor, for worse and for better. There's certainly nothing wrong with someone saying they have no time for a release or project that has been considered canonical. The patina of time isn't always enough to raise something above a basic level. For mine, I'm more than prepared to admit SP/MB is simply a personal taste issue, and outside of being in the right place at the right time, wouldn't want to insist that he was some kind of Industrial saint. Personally I have no time for Whitehouse and not a great deal for Throbbing Gristle, but I'd just be an idiot if I suggested they had not importance.

I just didn't want you to think I was trying to be deliberately contrary. I was very nearly going to write about how much I dig Mark Solotroff's solo efforts - have been listening to them for months, love them totally - and it never occurred to that one piece was just the other in reverse. I recall Hal McGee had a Dog As Master release that stated that was the case (side "b" being side "a" reversed), and I have no problem with the concept, but I understand it's a bit of an issue if it's not being admitted.
Shikata ga nai.

Baglady

V/A - Det Totala Raggarkriget TAPE (Chefsideologens Bolag)
Röset 2014 exclusive, but I guess there are some copies left, but from where I don't know. Really good contributions from all involved; Alfarmania, Broken Lights, Händer Som Vårdar and Treriksröset. Hard to describe the concept (raggare) of this compilation for people abroad, but well... Dangerous cars, grown men throwing beercans at police cars, chasing punks and so on. Loved the b-side as well. This one will stay in the deck for quite some time I think.

FreakAnimalFinland

CURRENT 93 "Moving Graves, Haunting Waves" CD
Coptic Cat
Since heard Muh Mur radio played song from this, and managed to buy copy, it's been on playlist. Epic and relaxing tracks that work for me best on moments when headphones listening while just about to fall sleep.

CULTES DES GHOULES "Spectres Over Transylvania" mCD
Garazel
Possibly currently best black-death for me. Rotten, grim, just right kind of speed. I consider CD version to be better than one sider 12" with 25 minute track cut on one side.

EMANATION "Under Magnetic Sleep" 12"
Black Mass
Experimental instrumental black metal. Some of the oddest drumming heard in BM for a while. Think of Dunkelheit kind of Burzum with broken beats and odd sounds, still far more being rooted to black metal than anything experimental.

PERISPIRIT "Spiritual Church Movement" LP
Digitalis
Bought this LP from discogs from same seller I got the C93 CD. Just to make purchase worth of time, so it wouldn't be just one CD, heh... I knew band from one very nice tape on Hospital and liked it a lot, and band was featured in Special Interests magazine #6 with interview. This LP follows quite well spirit of the tape. It's indeed "digital collage music". Lots of small details piled up and coming and going, and despite analogue and organic sound sources being vast, something about processing sounds is very digital. Even when pressed on LP. It isn't total turn-off since it's part of composition itself rather than quality of sounds. I think this is project to keep eye to!

Baglady

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on June 03, 2014, 09:33:48 AM
CULTES DES GHOULES "Spectres Over Transylvania" mCD
Garazel
Possibly currently best black-death for me. Rotten, grim, just right kind of speed. I consider CD version to be better than one sider 12" with 25 minute track cut on one side.
Definitely agree on that one. Thought Henbane was good, but the vocals were a bit too much there. But Spectres, just perfect. Hope they return to that sound on future releases.

FreakAnimalFinland

PGR "Silence" LP
Silent
Originally Poison Gas Research, then shortened to PGR. Debut LP released on bands own label. After this came releases on Banned Productions and RRR for example. It's one of those things what appear to be utterly un-sexy these days. You can find this 1985 LP release for something like 7 euros online, I guess. At the same time, it's really good works. Tape manipulation, percussive industrial, tape noises, ritual music with bells and small metal objects. While some stuff kind of remind early Laibach with actually played percussions instead of drum machines, b-side ends with stuff which could match Aural Hypnox kind of atmospheres, completed with neat sigils decorating the label artwork.

Sigillum S "Mutilated Terrorism" 12"
Minus Habens Records
I recall buying this from RRRecords when visiting store possibly sometime 2007 or so. I asked "when you got these", Ron looks at the cover and says "1989". HAHA!! I recall price was 8USD on RRR shop, and bought bunch of other titles like this. 45rpm ep with 3 tracks of mysterious industrial. First track of A-side good, B-side really nice old style ritual industrial. One track on b-side pretty bad and cheesy. But for prices like this, anytime worth the b-side, despite it perhaps is not for "noise fans", but those weird industrial, ritual music and dungeon keyboards.

FreakAnimalFinland

SUICIDE / LYDIA LUNCH split 10"
Blast First
Suicide side is 1976 demo version of track. 13 minutes piece which ain't even bad. But on other side, Lydia does cover version of song, and it's something one could perhaps expect it to sound like if Pharmakon would do this track as cover. Good!

TEST DEPT "Totality 1" 12"
KK records
Uh.... need to comment. Not sure why exactly I used to buy these Test Dept 12", when I know all techno stuff sucks ass. And it still does. But maybe listening full 12" once in a while is reminder to not purchase any further Test Dept stuff...

FreakAnimalFinland

NULL "Ultimate Material II" 2xLP
Dirter / 4th dimension
Great vinyl of Null from 1995. One side almost qualifies as "noise". Next side I'd rather link to Tangerine Dream kind of kraut-ish stuff. Another LP is guitar drone basically. All sides fit together nevertheless, seamless album.

Cranioclast "Lost In Karak" LP
CoC
Another cheap purchase done at RRR store years ago. 1988 release of German band & label. It's echoing and dark industrial-ambient of some sort. Perhaps little cheesy moments on b-side with piano experiments, but all in all, still effective and nice album what wouldn't perhaps stand out at all negatively on current line of releases of labels like Malignant or Cold Spring. Old age of album makes sure there are some more hand made characteristics than a lot of modern stuff of similar nature.
Listen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFRz_22TupI

SUICIDE "Cheree" 12"
First Blast
Uh. 8usd purchase also from RRR. If that Suicide demo track from 1976 was pretty good, change the year to 1977 studio and oh my god what stuff I'm polluting my ears with!! I guess someone could say Lust For Your new album is just as cheesy as this. Maybe. Who knows. Luckily b-side has less poppy tracks. Harlem is actually quite intense. Although slightly annoying.

Ritual

V/A "Det totala raggarkriget", tape (Chefsideologens bolag/Raggartapes)
Great material from Alfarmania, Broken Lights, Händer Som Vårdar and Treriksröset, all of whom played live at Röset last weekend. The B-side is great fun, but I guess you'll need to know Swedish to fully appreciate it.

Alfarmania & Proiekt Hat "Astral slaktmask", tape (Chefsideologens bolag)
There hasn't been any releases from Alfarmania since the CD in 2012, but an appearance from Proiekt Hat is truly a rare thing. This tape is filled with murky, oppressive, ultra-negative industrial sounds. The start of the B-side brings a bit more noise, but for the most part this is quite sombre. Very, very good tape!