PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eyestrain

Quote from: Ritual on June 03, 2014, 09:50:10 PM
V/A "Det totala raggarkriget", tape (Chefsideologens bolag/Raggartapes)
The B-side is great fun, but I guess you'll need to know Swedish to fully appreciate it.
Like in the way that Baglady had mentioned it, "Dangerous cars, grown men throwing beercans at police cars, chasing punks and so on"?

Gene Pick - Lacing The Air (Vitrine): Modular synthesis is credited as a sound source and I was rather nervous at first. This isn't a dud that floats around in that netherworld though, at least not entirely. There's enough grit and filth to keep it fairly interesting - especially on the first side. Things get a little wonky later on. Excited to hear what's included on the split with Jason Crumer that Wendy Prodz has coming out.

Unica - Skeuomorphs (Presh): VERY good, Elisha Morningstar-like tape of tape collages, field recordings, and mic'd objects. Very menacing on the reverse. Short and utterly sweet.

Kiran Arora - Compassion Fatigue (Presh): Essentially, this is a nice 90's-style harsh noise release, but with separate recordings playing in each channel. Put on some headphones and put yourself to the test. Very good!

Mlehst - Horse Hair Whipps (Everything As Dung): Perfect. An immense undertaking at 160 minutes, but there's a healthy dose of variety that makes this easily appreciated in sessions. At $15ppd for Americans, you'd have to be a turd to pass on this.

Niyaz - Nine Heavens (Six Degrees): Following on ZenoManx's mentioning of this album, I streamed it during a long run today. Really a phenomenal piece of Iranian music and the only reason I can think that the average Dead Can Dance fan wouldn't be in to it, is simply the association. DCD has that goth/post-punk past that they wish to shake off, but can't due to a large metal-punk autistic fanbase. They also play big festivals with other trendy acts, while, for instance, Niyaz is playing a concert up in Connecticut in a few days at the "Transformational Healing & Expressive Arts Festival". The whole Reiki-guru association doesn't gel with a lot of folks, heh. Anyway, thanks for the mention, I really, really love this act's music!

Ritual

Quote from: eyestrain on June 04, 2014, 02:30:38 AM
Quote from: Ritual on June 03, 2014, 09:50:10 PM
V/A "Det totala raggarkriget", tape (Chefsideologens bolag/Raggartapes)
The B-side is great fun, but I guess you'll need to know Swedish to fully appreciate it.
Like in the way that Baglady had mentioned it, "Dangerous cars, grown men throwing beercans at police cars, chasing punks and so on"?
The B-side seems to be a cut-up sound collage of among other things parts of some Swedish documentary about this subculture, with some sparse musical elements added here and there. The people talking (or shouting, sometimes) is an important part of it.

FreakAnimalFinland

BRIGHTER DEATH NOW "No Salvation / No Tomorrow" 10"
Anarchy+Violence
Two tracks of drum machine beats and sinister vocals. Not much innovations here, but BDN with its own nice style of Death Industrial.

MERZBOW "Red 2 Eyes" 10"
V2_archief
1995 era Merzbow. Studio live harsh noise improvisation I assume. Sometimes going just fine, sometimes a bit lazy and dragging. Not near as good as I remembered, but maybe currently high level of harsh noise just is competing hard with some of the old classics..

ANENZEPHALIA "Die Sender Müssen Schweigen!" 10"
Power & Steel
Possibli listened this last time 10 years ago?! Somehow not utterly remarkable release, but still, it stands out not only when compared to other bands but also within Anenzephalia discography! Listened now 3 times in row and it has very different and unique feel to it.

DAVID JACKMAN "Edge of Nothing" 10"
Die Standt
Label has significantly slowed down its pace during last years. Not much new things happening. But with such a massive back catalogue, its easy to retun to some older works. One good screeching drone track here.  Same 6:29 min long track on both sides. Kind of annoying thing to not even mother to put two sides of work, but he's known for all these 1 minute drone 7"s... Listened this probably 4 times in row, which is of course easy to do due short length..
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

FreakAnimalFinland

THE NEW BLOCKADERS "Schadenklang" LP
Hypnagogia
Jesus Christ!! Finally arrived this pre-ordered special edition LP. Took something like... 2 and half years? Probably. Long enough time to forget even when it was made. It's good LP. Quite linear with two long tracks. Rupenus, Hutchinson, Gillham trio doing what is known to be "TNB". Metal junk layers handled, but while it is good and enjoyable album, there is also something kind of modern here. Whether it is the pressure of compressing/mastering or capturing sounds, but quality of sound is slightly less tasty than on best of the old TNB. Also compositionally there is something less. As to compared sound, spinned then:

THE NEW BLOCKADERS "Simphonie In X Major" LP
Hypnagogia
1989 sound recordings mixed in 1991 by P.J. Coates, and yes. Indeed, one can compare the difference of dynamics, the subtle details of sound qualities and while one that listens it merely as noise that flows without much attention given, one could say that it's just about the same... But no. Not at all. While Schadenklang is good album, which nicely flows into your ear, Simphonie In X Major is GREAT album. Compositions that are not linear to something expected. Sounds what containt intense amount of detail and vast variation during each side. Brilliant album - and kind of shame that there isn't regular well done, unmodifier & unboosted CD available... Kind of must item for any noise collection!

deathcamp

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on June 04, 2014, 03:25:02 PM

THE NEW BLOCKADERS "Simphonie In X Major" LP
Brilliant album - and kind of shame that there isn't regular well done, unmodifier & unboosted CD available... Kind of must item for any noise collection!

Would be nice on Industrial Recollection ;)
Do you know if the tape version is decent?

Ritual

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on June 04, 2014, 03:25:02 PM
Rupenus, Hutchinson, Gillham trio doing what is known to be "TNB".
Funny, someone edited away Hutchinson from the credits on both Discogs entries just today.

deathcamp

WERTHAM "Lombroso II" tape
Corrosive Art
Nice layout, tape with body print. Extremely dark atmospheres, the most brutal and claustrophobic Wertham release? Don't mind, play it loud!

eyestrain

Un Festín Sagital - Deimos (Black Horizons): Bestias Solares was just straight Zuehl worship (a great thing in and of itself), but this next offering gets a little more inspired. While the vocalizations still have that Zuehlian structure, but synthesized guitars and rhythms throughout the tape make for something not so prog rock. The flip side is a bit different; a sinister quasi-Persian, quasi-Bo Hansson, dark-kraut ride and a possessed, mocking keyboard piece that finishes it off. No vocals on this side I believe. Definitely a killer tape, and makes me even more excited for their bit coming out on Beta-lactam Ring soon.

Swans - To Be Kind (Young God): This was nothing like the wet fart I found their recent live show to be, but I'm also definitely just burnt out on Gira's stardom. This disc is more interesting in that there's something besides way too long post-rockish 30 minute tracks (although they teeter on the edge a few times). A handful of the songs, particularly the first few, are something very fresh and there's lots of instrumentation you wouldn't expect - VCO warbles, a new approach to vocals. Things also aren't as outright goofy as their live jams were, but again they teeter on the edge once and a while. I liked The Seer for being emotionally evocative, but it was way too drawn out. This album does little for me in that department, and while it's cool to listen to, I guess I'm just over the hype. Not bad. Not great.

Mike Weis - Don't Know, Just Walk (Type): First off, I love the cover - captures something really relevant to my childhood night walks. Weis was diagnosed with prostate cancer prior to the recording of this album - all solo - so that gives some perspective on his purpose/process. I'm not familiar with his group works,  but this is a really spectacular album made mostly from drums. Field recordings and tape, amongst some other things I suppose, are sparingly used throughout as well. I'd expect a drummer to work with rhythm regularly, but Weis barely does. When it happens, its not much to make your head bob, but to bring you back to a stable ground. You lose one within the drifting, dark ambiance of the album. I'd say this could easily appeal to the Cyclic Law, CMI, etc junkie. The work is very meditative, not in a Radigue or Pitre sense... something else entirely. Also love the field recordings of crickets and cicadas interspersed that, again, make this album a memory of my childhood in some way. Really great album.

Santa Espina - Blue Yesterday (Black Horizons): I thought I was investing in some sort of Kirschstein or Nový Svět-type release, but that's not really the case at all. In some ways, you might argue that you can hear Chappaqua in certain places, but that's a stretch even. This is very meticulously crafted dark ambient/industrial, although it's never either of these things in their essence, with a folk touch that is masterfully added all throughout. A wonderful, lusty female voice carries the whole 60 minutes through. It's just all dreary and I love that.

Perispirit - Spiritual Church Movement (Digitalis): Had to check this out after Mikko's mention. This really does have that heavy "digital" sound, but I would agree that it spoils nothing. It's like if Kassel Jaeger and Lionel Marchetti collaborated; graceful spontaneity, never cartoonish. Gotta check out more.

Aaron Dilloway - Beauty Bath (Rockatansky): Admittedly, this is the first Dilloway album I've every purchased - the breadth of his discography always made it sorta impenetrable for me. Wish I wouldn't have waited so long. There's something out-of-time about this LP. It's got similarities with others, but there's so much tasteful variety - tape experiments to almost-outright harsh noise - that it's like a mixtape to my love of noise (and noise-like) music. Really, really digging this. Any recommendations on where to start with Dilloway? Regardless of whether or not they sound like this album.

Baglady

Quote from: eyestrain on June 05, 2014, 03:42:25 AM

Aaron Dilloway - Beauty Bath Any recommendations on where to start with Dilloway? Regardless of whether or not they sound like this album.

I'm no expert on Dilloway either, but Modern Jester is a challenging but rewarding work. Corpse On Horseback is more accessible, and well... Bad Dreams is some seriously great music, and it's available for 3-5$.
I'm sure others can fill me in with Dillo recommendations here?!

P-K

Concrete Mascara "the pursuit of hedonism..." tape
...imho price seemed kind of high for 'tape+some inserts' but no complaints now i'm holding it, online pics don't do it justice, it's big! very nice package, awesome artwork by Si, style most don't link to powerelectronics but certainly works for me (must dig into his other work)....good tape, compared to the Unter & F&V work less raw & more contained but very good. several spins. solid theme. recommended.

FreakAnimalFinland

STAHLNOY PAKT / RATHOF DACHAU split 10"
Der Angriff
Great split. Killer material from SP. Utterly noble feel of mixing blunt industrial noises with classical "state art" kind of music.  Orchestration, speeches. Industrial music to the bone! RD is some of the best of their works I think. Trademark style of theirs. Two layers of sound and vocals. Rhyth and synth pulsations.

THOROFON "Privat" 10"

Achtung Baby!
Uh.. some good stuff here, but most of all this is the disco industrial in old fashioned style.

BIZARRE UPROAR "Vihameditaatio" LP
Urashima
Great new album! When thinking how much more band can progress without losing identity, BU has proven than basically forver. Shift from style to another happens little by little and basically BU continues from where he left with previous album, but takes it further - and may I say better! Better sound on a-side than previous album. And B-side here takes band to new kind of sounds. Essential.

Sonic Violence  "Transfixion" LP
Dreamtime
1992 industrial music from UK. Occasionally I think Godflesh, but then nah.. Not that good or heavy to justify reference.

AARON DILLOWAY "Concealed" LP
No Fun
I see people talking of Dilloway, and also quite curious of what exactly is his best works. This isn't. This isn't bad either, but it's kind of typical tape loop session with rugged broken tape loops of semi-musical elements, slowly decaying, and appears like on longer session cut on two sides. Not bad, but heard better from him.

FreakAnimalFinland

Rudolf Eb.er  "Rudolf Eb.er's Runzelstirn & Gurgelstock" 12"
Sieben
The Sieben label is run by A-Musik's Georg Odijk and Frank Dommert (Entenpfuhl, Sonig), who said that the "basic idea was to release techno-lookalike-maxisingles with really extreme music". So what we have here is white disco sleeve 12", only artwork is printed labels of vinyl. What more to say that good stuff what sounds exactly like R&G tends to sound like! Maybe even notch more abrupt cuts. Sounds nearly don't even happen because they are cut out so quick. Insane.

S.T.A.B. ELECTRONICS "Instruments On Operating Mutant Women" LP
Urashima
Killer! Hard to compare with past material, what album is the best, but this certainly mixes together oppressive industrial strength of more Germanic heavy electronics style and perhaps lethality of Atrax Morgue like synth minimalism on background pulses, but maintaining filthy and noisy edge on aggro vocals, feedbacks and distortions! Especially very nice what how vocals saturate among the sound. It's kind of weird to think all STAB vinyls are c.100 copies editions and therefore came and disappeared? Don't be late with this!

ddmurph

re: dilloway, my favourites are infinite lucifer, modern jester, chain shot and the rope and the dogs. as a starting point, i'd probably recommend the rope and the dogs, it's one of the most diverse dilloway recordings i've heard, a really good overview of various styles. seems to be still available cheap (~8/9 euro) direct from hitomi 777was666 also ... http://777was666.com/777.html ... also, i haven't seen him in a good few years but he's delivered some of the best live sets i've ever seen ... totally hypnotic/trance-inducing/shamanistic/whatever you want to call it.

currently listening to lily greenham - lingual music (paradigm discs) ... amazing sound-poetry/tape-music dating from the late 60's through to the mid 80's. not much to say really. pretty essential if you're a fan of bernard heidsieck, ake hodell, etc.

i think i'm gonna do a paradigm binge after the lily greenham. such a consistently great label ... personal highlights: adam bohman bunhill row lp (absolute all-time favourite lp!), all the morphogenesis discs, the trevor wisharts, anal magic & rev. dwight frizzell, gravity adjusters expansion band, daphne oram, the pauline oliveros electronic music disc, lafms i.d. art

P-K

VCMG : ssss cd ...the Yazoo and Depeche Mode guys doing instrumental synth-noodling, minimal techno, ...some excellent tracks with pounding pulse and fat basslines. Some boring tracks but can imagine it would work on a club system.