PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RyanWreck

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on November 22, 2014, 12:36:13 PM

V/A CIVIC OCCULT BIOLOGY tape
Hospital Productions
[snip]....Perhaps best stuff on compilation is project called: Terrorism. I see two tapes are done, one Hospital and Tour De Garde. One could think maybe this is either label boss secret side project or their collaboration? At least it sounds like mr. Fernow, if you ask me. And if it is, I wonder why not put it under Prurient as vocals, raw noises and being noise, but not the typical "pedal harsh noise", but something else..  work very well into that direction where Prurient has been....[snip]

Quote from: sterilization on November 22, 2014, 02:27:14 PM
Terrorism is a dude named Arthur Rizsk who plays in some terrible metal core band and also runs Solomon's Gate studio.

I assume that this is the same Terrorism who released the "Skyguide" tape? I remember that being totally Noisecore with some Black Metal underpinnings, and the TDG release sample I heard was also very Noisecore oriented. Is he just doing Harsh Noise now? Whatever the case it's awesome that they are still putting material out really underrated project.

*edit* Just heard that new track from the V/A and it sure is very different from the other material he has put out under the moniker (here is a track for "Skyguide" as a reference for those who hadn't heard the earlier stuff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdNmjbyHILE  ). The new track is a pretty nice piece of slowly building mid-range hiss, well placed samples and great whispered raspy vocals.

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: RyanWreck on November 25, 2014, 08:31:01 AM
great whispered raspy vocals.

Which made me think of Prurient... Gutter mid range hiss & whispered vocals.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

FreakAnimalFinland

HAARE "Exogenesis (in two parts)" tape
Abgurd
Recorded back in 2008, released 2010.. or was it even then? I recall quite delayed. Haare in 2008 was very strong. Well, I guess he has always been! But has the pace been slowing down significantly? Or do I just feel like it. To me feels like its been pretty long since Freak Animal put out his stuff, and looking discogs, he has couple things out since? Muddy, lo-fi, gutter drone. Always great sound quality filled with atmosphere of raw tape deck recording, yet layered a bit to keep things interesting and always on the move. No loops, no quick edits etc. Just droning on slow pace and keeping its surprisingly "industrial" type of sound moving on.

SEWER ELECTION & PUCE MARY "Masks Are Aids" tape
Total Black
Good tape. When I think about what SE and PM has done on their solo works in recent times.. 1+1=2. That's about it. But despite pretty much zero surprises, fact that tape simply is good, it's good. Instant few times flipped sides and appreciated how well balance of rough processed field recordings work with more industrial-noise approach.

Liebestod  "Liebestod" tape
Jesse Sanes know from band called Hoax, which apparently is this... hmm.. youth attack kind of scene? I actually might have some of that stuff. This is kind of industrial-noise type of stuff what you could perhaps expect even from Puce Mary?!? It've good stuff to listen to, although all the metal junk sounds feels as if he uses very small objects with thin and tinny sound. But good stuff nevertheless! Would be interested to check out if he got anything else. I only noticed that he has done live gigs!? Anyone more familiar with project?

DBL

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on November 26, 2014, 03:23:15 PM
SEWER ELECTION & PUCE MARY "Masks Are Aids" tape
Total Black
Good tape. When I think about what SE and PM has done on their solo works in recent times.. 1+1=2. That's about it. But despite pretty much zero surprises, fact that tape simply is good, it's good. Instant few times flipped sides and appreciated how well balance of rough processed field recordings work with more industrial-noise approach.
Will Freak Animal be distributing this?

sterilization

Jesse Sanes know from band called Hoax, which apparently is this... hmm.. youth attack kind of scene? I actually might have some of that stuff. This is kind of industrial-noise type of stuff what you could perhaps expect even from Puce Mary?!? It've good stuff to listen to, although all the metal junk sounds feels as if he uses very small objects with thin and tinny sound. But good stuff nevertheless! Would be interested to check out if he got anything else. I only noticed that he has done live gigs!? Anyone more familiar with project?

I'm not a fan of his "real" band hoax, but I like this tape pretty well. As far as I know, this is his debut and only release under the name, but he does have another tape out from a project called fejhed (duo with puce mary, lol) that is really really good.

metalpunk

That SEWER ELECTION & PUCE MARY tape is true gem to my taste! Really good one!

FreakAnimalFinland

SEWER ELECTION & PUCE MARY "Masks Are Aids" tape distribution... not sure yet.

Gave Liebestod  "Liebestod" tape more time. It's good. Not phenomenal yet, perhaps most of all due tinny sounds of metal percussions, but most definitely worth to grab.

TRERIKSRÖSET "Heteronormativ musik" tape
Solid harsh noise attack in style of Treriksröset. Feels quite like live session with few cuts. Very direct and crunchy sound, which keeps things very simple and to the point.

V/A "NOISECORE PROLAPSE" tape
Untergeschoss
Noisecore attacks from Horsesextube, Funeral Mongoloids, Penis Geysir and most of all this long lost Finnish atrocity: Gore Angel demos from 1989!! I remember years ago when trying to track down earliest Finnish noisecore stuff, and while Aunt Mary had been doing stuff around those time, first demo was more hc/punk. Noisecore emerged in.. '91. Recall I was mentioned Kohina did their demos before Aunt Mary noisecore stuff, and then contacted Kohina member and he had long ago lost all his copies, but also confirmed that before Kohina there was Gore Angel and also mentioned some other project. Anyways, Gore Angel was two guys of Xysma, doing just utmost noisecore crap stuff, with two guys yelling and growing and sort of guitar noise on the back. One would assume it's tape deck with two mic inputs and that's probably it? By no means, we can call this spectacular moment in history on underground music, but those who like crap a'la Minch, Crawl Noise, and such will be entertained by youthful goofiness. That's basically true for entire tape, despite I assume instead of "youth", at least partly, this is work of grown up family men, HAHA!

V/A "UNTERGESCHOSS vol 2" tape
Untergeschoss
Decent comp tape. Noise, power electronics, lo-fi rhythms, keyboards+noise kind of stuff. For me, despite little louse live sound, Streetmeat is the winner here. Their track could have more ripping overall sound, but as it is, already good "trad" PE assault. It's strange compilation in a way that line-up appears so random. All sorts of different international projects/sideprojects/obscurities thrown together, including Slovakia noisecore. As it evades all thematic, geographic, stylistic expectations, it's "just a compilation". Good to have those things around too.

cr

PSYCHOSADIST: Crawlspace C20 (Hiisi Productions)
"Impressive debut release from a new deutsche pe/noise artist. Crawlspace is great mixture of noise and power electronics with all crushing sound and screaming vocals." - Label description.
Not much to add, but after the first listening session, I already like this one a lot. Highly recommended!

Nil By Mouth

Self released tape? Contact infos?

bitewerksMTB

"Resistance and Self-Destruction are Synonymous" comp. tape released by New Forces- solid comp of harsh noise. I didn't keep up with who's who while listening but there was nothing on either side that had me reaching for the fast forward button. Line-up includes Ahlzagailzehguh, Developer, Plague Mother, The Rita, Drug Age, Kazuma Kubota, Wince, Action/Discipline, Encephalophonic, Mordant Karma, Heinz Hopf, & Being. Definitely worth owning.

Mania will be on New Force's next compilation due out next year...

SiClark

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on November 29, 2014, 08:31:37 PM
"Resistance and Self-Destruction are Synonymous" comp. tape released by New Forces- solid comp of harsh noise. I didn't keep up with who's who while listening but there was nothing on either side that had me reaching for the fast forward button. Line-up includes Ahlzagailzehguh, Developer, Plague Mother, The Rita, Drug Age, Kazuma Kubota, Wince, Action/Discipline, Encephalophonic, Mordant Karma, Heinz Hopf, & Being. Definitely worth owning.

Mania will be on New Force's next compilation due out next year...
That's a damn fine line up, will have to make an order when I get paid.

RyanWreck

Quote from: sterilization on November 26, 2014, 04:44:04 PM
Liebestod  "Liebestod" tape

I'm not a fan of his "real" band hoax, but I like this tape pretty well.

Never been much into Hoax or any of the Hardcore on YA! outside of City Bones and Sexdrome, though both bands aren't pure "hardcore" really. Haven't bought anything from Youth Attack! in probably 6 years. There was a point back in like 2008-2009 when tons of people on the Jerkbooth were trying to find out who I was because they didn't like me posting their precious underground music on my old blog. When I told them who I was and started going to shows they never did anything.

Anywho, I agree that the Liebestod tape is actually pretty decent. That Already Dead tape they were distroing that sold out is pretty nice too, just what you would expect right about now kinda reminds me of the Denmark post-punk/experimental stuff so popular these days. No info on the tape about a contact, no label or names. The artwork, repetitiveness of the 2 original tracks and vocals kind of remind me of the guy who was doing City Bones and Euthanizer.

Dr Alex

Sektion B - Holy Land In Flames 3"cd

Amazing comeback!! Whole material is top-notch! Ultra heavy German power electronics with small dose of US pe school.
Fuck new Consumer Electronics, listen this!

Peterson

Remnants "Decayed Tones"
                 "Vision Being"
                 "Elusive Infinite"
                 "The Process"
                 "Skeptics"
                 "Tonal Fragments"
                 "Suspension"
                 "Surface Tension"

Have been really into musique concrete lately, and I think this guy from NY is one of the better people doing it right now. His tapes are usually kind of variations on a theme or different versions of the same idea, which can be a really good approach when done with care. In this case, I think he nails it every time. Each tape is vaguely similar in sound, containing mostly really decayed, bass-heavy loops of melodic and harsh sound. Often there is a dirty oscillator tone involved that creeps in and out. There is a lot of unusual editing and textures provided by oversaturation which makes this stuff sound really dark and dejected. Definitely excellent night-listening, especially now that it's getting colder here.

SSRI "split w/Fecalove"
         "split w/Hippycrack"
         "split w/Nunnaunni"
         "Circle Of Positivity"

I could be really biased, because SSRI is one of my favorite projects, but compared to some of the older splits, it seems like SS Ofizier is continually making the project he does splits with pale in comparison. I did really like the Fecalove side (in particular the mix of PE and field recordings was perfect) but it just didn't have the cohesion and togetherness of the SSRI side. SS says he considers it to be among his weaker material, and I suppose I agree, but it's still pretty good, and the glitchy stuff actually entertains me instead of annoying the living shit out of me. SS said it was dubbed too quietly, but my copy was totally normal. The tracks seem to run together as stream-of-consciousness noise, which I like. From what I remember, the SSRI side of the Hippycrack split is mostly weird cut-ups, 'working man's' field recordings, and some pretty ingenious juxtaposition of baby sounds with harsh electronics. Pretty fucking unsettling, but not in an aggressive way. Weird, not creepy. Fuck yes! I have to admit I was really tired, and even nodded out a few times during the Hippycrack side, but I'll counter that if it was really that great, I would have woken up a bit and been compelled to pay more attention. Now...all the elements were there, crunchy pedal work, nice feedback, some possible metal sounds, nice cold textures...but somehow it never once caught my attention in a way that warranted any deeper observation. Oh well. SS side of the split w/Nunnaunni seemed to be culled from the same sessions. Lots of field recordings, electronics work that's cerebral and awkward, some fucked-up loops, and some more element's I'm lazily forgetting. I liked it equally to the Hippycrack split, however, Nunnaunni's side had a lot more competition to offer. Wasn't quite strong enough to make me go out and buy more of their shit immediately, but I'm sure I will in the future. Absolutely infuriating cut-ups and general strangeness with a totally playful, "fun" feeling. I think this shit would not appeal to folks that take themselves a bit too seriously, because it's a lot like sound effects from old Looney Tunes cartoons combined with noise and musique concrete. Works for me! I at times get tired of the similarities in cut-up harshness, so hearing some cut-up retardation was refreshing. Some of the jazz drumming and household objects sounds actually made me laugh out loud. Last but not least, "Circle Of Positivity." Basically sounds like the title. Really life-affirming yet somewhat difficult to listen to at times (like life in general?). Had more of the digital-ish glitchy stuff that I like yet hope is not an overarching theme for SSRI. "Ugly Spirits" sounds like just that and had more of the intense vinyl and tape manipulations similar to "Rebis." Don't have much else to say about it right now 'cause I want to give it another shot.

Shredded Nerve "Hanging In The Balance"
                           "Blurred Line"

More noisy musique concrete from the guy who also does Pusdrainer, which I have not heard. I love these tapes, this project. Really intense and steadily-building, but never attaining true harshness. I suppose this stuff isn't really full-on harsh noise. Extremely tasteful loops of what mostly sound like junk metal, rocks, water, and occasional synthesizer flourishes that never really take the lead. I like the linear, straightforward qualities similar to Remnants. Definitely not music, but not quite noise, either. Can say without a doubt I will get everything this guy puts out under this name. Someone should commission him for a film soundtrack.

Untergeschoss Compilation Vol. 1
The PE artists on this tape were really good, especially Shift (was nice to hear the second part to the track from F&V NJK Vol. 3) and Budrus (I immediately understood what they were talking about in Exoteric V when listening to this track) as well as Concrete Mascara (as time goes by, his stuff just sounds more and more alienated and isolated. Great!), but the noisecore acts stood out the most. I loved them all, but he's certainly right with the observation the Penis Geyser pretty much take the cake for current noisecore. I looked up a bunch of videos on YouTube after that, and was very pleased. Definitely picking up the "Noisecore Prolapse" tape now.

The Glass Path "Driving Music"
Musique Concrete and tape noise from an act I had not heard before putting the tape in, and couldn't have been more pleased. Over the past few years, the Swedish tape-manipulated sound has been growing on me like an STD, and I would guess the same for these people/this person. Side A is sort of disjointed, awkward, and stunted concrete music that has vibes of addiction and withdrawal. Don't know exactly why that came to mind, but it has something to do with the dirtiness of the sound. Certain parts are very loud and others are so quiet you have to crank it up (only to turn it back down again). Yes, please! Fucks with your expectations and comfort level like some of the older Prurient albums. Side B is more full-on harshness that sounds like a couple of tape decks signal routed to a mixer with some distortion pedals somewhere in the setup. Just pure crunching and decay from dusty, old tape sound. I am really into that approach, when done right. This track is just a step below older Sewer Election and Treriksroset. I will certainly be getting more stuff from this project.

...and a staple favorite, Sick Seed "The Great Corrupter." This isn't just one of my favorites when speaking of genre confinements, it's one of my all-time favorite albums period. It's so personal, so intimate, yet aggressive and large as fuck, almost reaching oppressive qualities, as in "Verbranntes Land." The bass line in that song has to be one of the most easily stuck-in-your-head pieces for me. Rarely does the vocal presentation in a PE record sound this emotional yet distantly intelligent, a good example would be "A Plague Area." "Irstaasta Ja Siveettömästä Elämästä," which translates to "a dissolute and immoral life" should be considered a "Power Electronics Anthem," if there were any. The phrase and song "Luxurious Disease" describes exactly why I am a fan of Sick Seed (and Gelsomina). "The Most Hated Crime Of Them All" is musically just flawless. Similar to Ultra, the piano and guitar sound more disturbing than the typical synth and feedback approach, especially due to the lyrics and subject matter. I think one of the reasons I appreciate this song so much is that I have known individuals who have...been subjected to that crime. And the perpetrators. It's indeed true that the family will be standing around waiting for them to die. Many seem to forget that the ugliest qualities in this type of music have to be real and verifiable, not just some obsession, fantasy, or hidden lust. Perfect album.

Zeno Marx

Peterson, what is your definition of music concrete?  You've piqued my interest, and I'm not finding anyone else calling Remnants or Shredded Nerve music concrete.  Where would you start with each of these projects?
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.