sotos

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, March 04, 2010, 08:29:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KillToForget

Quote from: Dodgson on June 11, 2023, 12:48:39 AM
Obviates is not on the Amphetamine website yet?
The last update stated that pre-orders will be open towards the end of the month, as they're still fine-tuning some of the details.
I wish there was a better way to keep updated than instagram

theotherjohn

Edit: Thanks all for your interest, have placed an order. See message below.

theotherjohn

Obviates is getting deleted from the AS catalogue very shortly at the author's request, so I would HIGHLY suggest ordering sooner rather than later from the Bigcartel page (no sales are possible via email, other payment means or from other distributors).

I have now ordered and paid for 7 copies for myself and the handful of UK buyers who had expressed prior interest via PM in paying for a lower distributed cost - once the copies are in my hands I will confirm UK postage, request the total payment amount and dispatch them to people. I cannot meet extra demand now but in case someone drops out I will consider other interested parties.

Grimpin

My copy of Obviates was marked as posted today via USPS tracking. Or the shipping label was printed at least. I'll finally get to read Show Adult then, God help me I suppose.

Just letting you all know the ball's rolling, if you haven't received the email yet, as as far as I can see there's been no announcement on any of Amphetamine Sulphate's social media pages re: shipping commencement.

theotherjohn

I'm sure PB has his hands busy currently with packaging up X amount of Obviates. He's probably swimming in cardboard mailers, shipping labels and packaging tape.

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: theotherjohn on August 24, 2023, 03:15:57 AMI'm sure PB has his hands busy currently with packaging up X amount of Obviates. He's probably swimming in cardboard mailers, shipping labels and packaging tape.

Here's to hoping he gets a move on, then!

Grimpin

Does anyone think Sotos will be write another book, proper? I'd love for him to go silent now - re: new material - for about five years or so then write a really plaintive book aged 70, about sitting alone amongst his newspaper clippings, in his Chicago apartment, and writing about everyday mundane details of his life, revealing a side of him we've never seen before. I'm hoping he develops a bone-fide obsession with cats too (or a similar creature) - a la William Burroughs in his elderly years - which gives him a bit of genuine cheer and joy, away from the blatant hell of humanity. Just to take the edge off, before the great calamity strikes.

History will be treat him kindly. Definitely one of the most talented and fearless artists in operation. Though of course he's unreadable for most people right now. Fuck 'em.

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: Grimpin on August 30, 2023, 03:47:49 AMDoes anyone think Sotos will be write another book, proper? I'd love for him to go silent now - re: new material - for about five years or so then write a really plaintive book aged 70, about sitting alone amongst his newspaper clippings, in his Chicago apartment, and writing about everyday mundane details of his life, revealing a side of him we've never seen before. I'm hoping he develops a bone-fide obsession with cats too (or a similar creature) - a la William Burroughs in his elderly years - which gives him a bit of genuine cheer and joy, away from the blatant hell of humanity. Just to take the edge off, before the great calamity strikes.

History will be treat him kindly. Definitely one of the most talented and fearless artists in operation. Though of course he's unreadable for most people right now. Fuck 'em.

I'm hoping that he will at least release an art book-style edition of all the Waitress material plus additional clippings/collages from his archives.  Infinity Land Press, why have you not made this a reality?

Grimpin

I received my copy of Obviates today. Excellent design and layout by Chip Smith. The newspaper clippings I've never encountered before, or at least they're not in Ingratitude I think.

The first book I'm aware of where the author's name isn't credited anywhere, on the covers or therein. Not even on the copyright page. The (alleged!) conman extraordinaire James "Havoc" gets a thank you, quite rightly. An attempt by Sotos to efface himself and just let the work speak for itself, or what?!

It's up to a similar thing as Missed Better Still too, where there's a deliberate attempt to blur the work into one. Not even a contents page here, to delineate the two books. Though I can confirm Predicate is in full, comparing it to the Creation Books release. And Show Adult commences page 275.

I'd assume the "1." prefacing the title means this will be the first in the line of Amphetamine Sulphate Sotos rerelease compendiums. Due to the price, I'll only been purchasing more if they're of books I don't have physical copies of already. The extra newspaper clippings aren't worth it. I'd probably be tempted if there is new/unreleased written material included.

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: Grimpin on August 31, 2023, 02:35:23 AMI received my copy of Obviates today. Excellent design and layout by Chip Smith. The newspaper clippings I've never encountered before, or at least they're not in Ingratitude I think.

The first book I'm aware of where the author's name isn't credited anywhere, on the covers or therein. Not even on the copyright page. The (alleged!) conman extraordinaire James "Havoc" gets a thank you, quite rightly. An attempt by Sotos to efface himself and just let the work speak for itself, or what?!

It's up to a similar thing as Missed Better Still too, where there's a deliberate attempt to blur the work into one. Not even a contents page here, to delineate the two books. Though I can confirm Predicate is in full, comparing it to the Creation Books release. And Show Adult commences page 275.

I'd assume the "1." prefacing the title means this will be the first in the line of Amphetamine Sulphate Sotos rerelease compendiums. Due to the price, I'll only been purchasing more if they're of books I don't have physical copies of already. The extra newspaper clippings aren't worth it. I'd probably be tempted if there is new/unreleased written material included.

Interesting.  The self-effacement sounds like an interesting development of his self-loathing.

Best mentioned on Facebook that he is hoping to make this a series of reissues, but that nothing is set in stone.  It sounded like Sotos was still on the fence about it.

theotherjohn

A new Peter Sotos book is around the corner to be published by Nine Banded Books, titled Kee MacFarlane. From Twitter/X:

Here's the cover spread for an upcoming 9BB release that may be of interest to some of you. The galleys are expected to arrive in about a week, and it should be available for purchase by early December. It's an extrapolative study of Vanessa Place's art. Brilliant, in my opinion.

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: theotherjohn on November 23, 2023, 03:15:28 AMA new Peter Sotos book is around the corner to be published by Nine Banded Books, titled Kee MacFarlane. From Twitter/X:

Here's the cover spread for an upcoming 9BB release that may be of interest to some of you. The galleys are expected to arrive in about a week, and it should be available for purchase by early December. It's an extrapolative study of Vanessa Place's art. Brilliant, in my opinion.

Came here to post the same thing.  Looking forward to this.