PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

horse worship

Prurient "through the window" - maybe my favorite Prurient album yet. I've been a fan of the various styles and shifts in the project, but this one combines perfectly the electronic music, some nice restrained yet nasty noise layers, and weird dejected vocals. Way more into his stuff being produced by Alberich than the dude from Cold Cave. Sometimes reminds me of a cleaner Nato-Uniformen.

Scat-O-Logy

Quote from: Scat-O-Logy on March 16, 2013, 01:29:28 PMI only have the Sprachlos CS by Vanhala and I think it's very strong release even though not really my kinda stuff. I have heard many positive comments about the FA CD but haven't purchased it because of the impression I got from the CS. Really fucking good, but not just something I would listen frequently. Same goes for Encephalophonic which I remember being quite similar?

Oh man, I must take that back. I listened the Sprachlos tape today and it sounded completely different than I remember. To my knowledge Encephalophonic is more cut-up type of stuff when Vanhala is just pure terror involving a lot of metals. On Sprachlos CS the sound doesn't really match my taste but the noise itself is quite strong. I'm currently listening to the samples of FA CD and I fucking love it. Good sound quality, giving a lot of kick to the noise consisting of hellish banging & scraping, pretty much destroying various metal objects. Damn, I was completely wrong about this stuff!

FreakAnimalFinland

This Vanhala CD that's in pressing is "Here be lions" CD. It has all the material of the tape and ultimate track submitted to one of Hästen & Korset tape works compilations and plenty of unreleased to make it worthy for those who may have heard those quite small edition tapes. And as said - in my opinion - as a guy who have heard quite a lot of noise, this does stand out both now, and as well as in general canon of noise...  I know it's kind of lame to say by label who put it out or of works of friend, but as one could know, I have not said that about every noise cd of Freak Animal so trust my word ;)

Encephalophonic has been evolving constantly. I had privilege to hear advance cdr of soon-to-be released debut cd, and I must say that even if being cut-up, and even if being not-that-far from some of his past works, this upcoming CD finally lifts Encephalophonic into top level of the international harsh noise genre. Somehow it flows better, moves with intensity and remains darker and more sinister than cut-up noise generally does. Keep eyes open for announcement in near future!

E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

metalpunk

Yes, Vanhala is  on the top of modern noise scene for sure... a masterpiece.

Scat-O-Logy

Oh, so the Vanhala CD is sort of a compilation then. Seems like a nice idea and a fresh starting point for me so I guess I have to buy that one. I have the H&K comp but can't really remember how most of the tracks sounded. I remember enjoying it quite a lot though. Since we're talking about Vanhala, I stumbled upon his Tumblr page and from there was taken to his Soundcloud page just to find out he's going to release a CD on Erratic Sporadicism (which I thought was inactive btw) somewhere around 2013. The sample sounded phenomenal. A lot more experimental approach this time with a nice atmospheric touch.

"Vibrant and active experimental music based on electronics, sonic objects, baroque organ and other acoustic instruments, modular synthesis, tape manipulations, and field recordings done at various locations in Malaysia in 2008 & 2009."

I love it! https://soundcloud.com/vanhala/offaltextures-excerpt-1

I think my interest towards Encephalophonic started fading after their third CS, "Chronicity Of A Disease" which wasn't as strong as two of their previous ones (IF, I remember correctly). Metal Obsession was very good cut-up mayhem, with some nice acoustic junks and the presentation of SSR was very fitting in my opinion. Then came "Beauty / Death" on Emanuele's own Audio Dissection label, once again, very nice, but a lot shorter this time. I remember seeing the artwork for the first time and thought it to be... well... very appealing, hah.

I think I must count on you, Mikko, and buy the upcoming CD (and also to satisfy my obsessive collector-needs, heh). I assume you were talking about "Regressed Progress"? Seems like Emanuele already added it on Discogs.

Currently: Encephalophonic - Metal Obsession

jesusfaggotchrist

Pseudogod - Into The Wombs Of Cathesis: pretty good bestial black. Did remind me of a more death metal Archgoat.

Navicon Torture Technologies - The Church Of Dead Girls: definitely harsher than The Gospels Of The Gash, the only other material I've heard by him. Much better, I'd say.

Levas

NBS - From space chaos to cosmic noise - this was bad.. The title should be from one thin layer of oscillating sound to one thin layer of oscillating sound. It's just that - for an hour...

Currents of Death - Cretodoh! - this was in fact really interesting. It was described as perhaps the first PE project in Russia, and it sounds good. Not something brutal or so, more dark and atmospheric.

Reduction ad Absurdum - Do you feel crunch in your ass, yellow bastards? - after three nights of going to sleep while listening to this cd and remembering only first 4-5 songs, I'd say it's good. Half of that album. I don't know about the other half. But I guess it's ok too.

Scat-O-Logy

Currently listening to Early Years of Grunt. Received this CDr today and found it to be quite interesting documentation. Fittingly everything starts with the first official Grunt track, steadily heading on to the 94' tape, "One Animal Above The Others". Recordings of first two tracks consisted only of borrowed 4-tracker, cheap electric guitar and a microphone. The lack of equipment is audible but I still find myself enjoying the material quite a lot. Nice oppressive feel. Next up is a series of untitled tracks which ended up on "Industrial Madness?" CS. Once again, the material was recorded with very simple and cheap methods but I have no reason to complain. Real nice industrial sounds. Track 7 stands out the best with good old metal junk. Still, the best material starts from the split tape with Futile Existence, consisting of metal percussion, guitar and emotional (hah) vocal offering. "Citizen-B" and "GTBAMCG" are "scum rock" type of tracks where "Red Fascism" is pretty much basic industrial track, due to of lack of equipment at the time. Final four crowns the comp with really enjoyable industrial soundscapes of "One Animal Above The Others" and as soon as it begun, it's all over. To sum up my thoughts, I should mention that I was actually waiting for something quite bad but this turned out be very nice comp with some interesting twist and turns. Really recommendable release overall!

FreakAnimalFinland

This year marks 20 years of Grunt (if counting from first public release). I have prepared 5 double CD worth of 90's tapes, which includes also all material of this Early Years CDR. So I don't recommend to hunt down the CDr at this point...    Campaign of 5 double CD's should be done this year, just waiting to complete some sort of booklet.. Waiting few proofreadings etc. It will include lots of rare stuff, including also unreleased recordings of the time. Will be done in very small edition, though.

Scat-O-Logy

Well fuck, seems like I purchased "Mass" and the Grunt comp CDr at the wrong time. Well luckily I got them quite cheap and they are nice addition to my collection. This is no wonder, but I'm definitely pumped about the upcoming Grunt compilations. The old stuff sounds surprisingly good. In case Vanhala reads this, perhaps some update on Erratic Sporadicism CD?

martialgodmask

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on March 18, 2013, 02:50:15 PM
This year marks 20 years of Grunt (if counting from first public release). I have prepared 5 double CD worth of 90's tapes, which includes also all material of this Early Years CDR. So I don't recommend to hunt down the CDr at this point...    Campaign of 5 double CD's should be done this year, just waiting to complete some sort of booklet.. Waiting few proofreadings etc. It will include lots of rare stuff, including also unreleased recordings of the time. Will be done in very small edition, though.

Do you mean 5x seperate 2CD sets 1x complete set? Either way, excellent.

cipher chris

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on March 18, 2013, 02:50:15 PM
just waiting to complete some sort of booklet.. Waiting few proofreadings etc.
fuck! I'm on it.

FreakAnimalFinland

It's five double CD's. All together 10 CD's. Plan is to issue it as 5 separate double CD's, so people are not forced to buy any 10xCD box, but can choose what era/style material they want. But possibly discount price + extra booklet for all together.

nowirehangers

A bunch of Magnolia Electric Company, I have always had a soft spot for "Alt_country" or whatever, and hearing of Jason Molina's death has me really bummed.

Mattias G

Quote from: nowirehangers on March 19, 2013, 08:06:36 AM
A bunch of Magnolia Electric Company, I have always had a soft spot for "Alt_country" or whatever, and hearing of Jason Molina's death has me really bummed.

Same here. Playing the CD right know with the acoustic/solo versions you got with the vinyl version of the  Magnolia Electric Company LP.