Your pet peevees about records

Started by F_c_O, October 21, 2016, 01:17:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

F_c_O

I cant be the only one here who has these little things that just annoy endlessly when it comes to releases. For example, I cant stand single sided vinyls. It feels just lopsided to me, like something is missing and I really cant stand it. Even worse is 2xlp's with one single sided vinyl. Drives me absolutely crazy.

Other thing is not marking rpm or side a/b. Maybe thats not necessary for some records but to me its just something I feel as necessary. Even if not a/b side markings, at least the rpm. I dont want to guess the speed the record is meant to be played at, at all. Fuck that. As for the a/b thing, maybe its just my personal need to have tracks in the 'intended order' so the album flows with the intended structure, although I have a feeling that this might not be even a consideration to some artists.

Either way, what kind of things really annoy other people here?

SiClark

I agree about notifying about RPM, of course you can work it out but have certainly had some records I have listened to at certain speed and then heard actual samples and realised I had it at the wrong speed. Again, not the end of the world but prefer when it's noted.

With one sided Lps I don't really see the point but 2xLPs where one is one sided I don't mind if the album clearly won't on two sides. Better than having everything spaced out to fit four sides, or having tracks edited to fit the space or cramming everything on one vinyl which would effect sound quality. With regards to A & B it's normally pretty easy to work it out, if there is nothing on the labels it's normally written on the actual vinyl.

Ashmonger

Mentioning RPM is mostly only important with Noise/PE/... 7"s where it's sometimes hard to figure it out by only judging the music. With other music you can hear it and when it's an album you most often know that it'll be 33rpm anyway.

And indeed, A & B side are most often etched on the vinyl anyway, though that's sometimes hard to see, especially with colored or transparent vinyl, so I like it when it's on the center label.

On a sidenote: I recently noticed that some of my LPs and CDs have lost some colored due to being in a room where the sun can shine on them. There's white curtain before the window, but it doesn't take much light away. Not getting really pissed over it, I find it disappointing, never thought about this before. Wouldn't know where to store my music to prevent this from happening at the moment either...

F_c_O

Quote from: Si Clark on October 21, 2016, 01:23:53 PM
With one sided Lps I don't really see the point but 2xLPs where one is one sided I don't mind if the album clearly won't on two sides. Better than having everything spaced out to fit four sides
I'd rather have it spaced out like than than have empty side. I dunno, having one empty side, it just makes me feel really weird. Not like annoyed but physically it just feels wrong. I guess its more on me than anyone else, hehe.

as for the a/b side being etched, well, yeah but on other hand, i dont live in a fucking museum so i have to try and find the spot in my apartment where i can make it out without having to deal with glare or other bullshit.

collapsedhole

they're easily damaged when my drunk ass is incapable of delicately placing the tone arm

Baglady

Text turned upside down on the spines (running upwards instead of downwards as is the standard). Such an unnecessary thing. It bothers me to the degree that I sometimes design a new j-card if it's a tape.

SiClark

Quote from: Baglady on October 21, 2016, 05:05:31 PM
Text turned upside down on the spines (running upwards instead of downwards as is the standard). Such an unnecessary thing. It bothers me to the degree that I sometimes design a new j-card if it's a tape.
Ha, yeah that bugs me too (pretty sure I've never done that on any of my designs, mistake if I did).

F_c_O

Quote from: collapsedhole on October 21, 2016, 04:28:04 PM
they're easily damaged when my drunk ass is incapable of delicately placing the tone arm
Some of my fathers 7"s are completely fucked due to this. Sad thing cause some of them would be really nice to listen to too.

Theodore

Type of paper you can easily leave your fingerprints on ! Especially if it's black haha. I guess that's not a problem in northern countries, but try to read a booklet etc. in a 30C in-the-house enviroment and tell me how it looks after.
"ἀθάνατοι θνητοί, θνητοὶ ἀθάνατοι, ζῶντες τὸν ἐκείνων θάνατον, τὸν δὲ ἐκείνων βίον τεθνεῶτες"

F_c_O

Quote from: Theodore on October 21, 2016, 07:02:45 PM
Type of paper you can easily leave your fingerprints on ! Especially if it's black haha. I guess that's not a problem in northern countries, but try to read a booklet etc. in a 30C in-the-house enviroment and tell me how it looks after.
digipacks are amazing for that!

Steve

holy ghost

Quote from: Steve on October 21, 2016, 09:06:01 PM
Is this a comedy thread?

Backwards writing on the spines is no joke mate!! HUGE pet peeve.

Ritual

Shrink wrapped vinyl records, so when you buy them NEW they have split seams when you receive them due to the vinyl cutting through the cover during shipping!

Duncan

Single sided lps

Duff live recordings pressed to vinyl

Expensive reissues of easily found originals and the shops that sell only them.

Anything that has been pressed to vinyl for the sake of being on vinyl rather than working well over two sides.

Coloured vinyl for no reason.

collapsedhole

when one side is 33 and the other 45