Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 29, 2009, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fluid Fetish

Just watched the old punk movie Suburbia the other night which was actually alright, I like that the director used actual punk kids rather then training actors or anything. Seeing TSOL when they're in their early 20's playing live for a minute is pretty fantastic too, I actually cracked up when the singer hit the skinhead kid in the back of the head and caused the brawl. Despite being a feel good movie it has several pretty violent scenes with extremely young kids getting killed in brutal ways to start and end the movie. Good way to open and close a film even though it isn't too over the top/gory and not graphic at all I still imagine it was shocking for people at the time (early 80's), along with the original Assault on Precinct 13 I'd guess it probably played a role in cementing the taboo of showing children being killed in mainstream movies.

bitewerksMTB

Quote from: Fluid Fetish on August 09, 2016, 12:57:34 AM
Quote from: bitewerksMTB on August 07, 2016, 02:49:26 AM

I received Blue Underground's bd of Deep Red today..

How's it look? I need to get a bd player finally since I watch so many movies.

I love Deep Red but Inferno will always be my favorite, even more then Suspira, would love to see the quality of that movie with all the psychedelic color and lighting in bd quality.

D.R. looks good, there's quite a bit of grain so it's not as clean as Synapse's release of Tenebrae. I think Suspiria is going to look amazing when Synapse get their 4k transfer released next year & Code Red has Opera coming 'soon'. I have a torrent of Inferno but haven't watched it yet. All I remember is the underwater scene.

Fluid Fetish

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on August 09, 2016, 08:14:56 PM

I love Deep Red but Inferno will always be my favorite, even more then Suspira, would love to see the quality of that movie with all the psychedelic color and lighting in bd quality.

D.R. looks good, there's quite a bit of grain so it's not as clean as Synapse's release of Tenebrae. I think Suspiria is going to look amazing when Synapse get their 4k transfer released next year & Code Red has Opera coming 'soon'. I have a torrent of Inferno but haven't watched it yet. All I remember is the underwater scene.

I think the Suspiria 4k transfer is good motivation to have a blu ray disc player in some form by next year, you're right it's going to look incredible.

If you like the look of Suspiria I cannot suggest Inferno enough, it's for free on youtube and worth watching in any available form. I'd love to see a similar high quality transfer of it some day. Admittedly, Inferno is definitely 'light' on story and script but incredibly in depth on everything else. Underwater scene is definitely worth mention and remembering, but to me everything about this movie is. Every death is like a weird puzzle involving witchcraft, the lighting in all of it's trippy blue and red glory is unmatched, the music fits perfectly, I could write a book about this movie. Didn't hurt that I first saw it in my heavy drug days, but still going back and watching it sober it has the same strong impact on me.

calaverasgrande

Quote from: Fluid Fetish on August 09, 2016, 01:02:10 AM
Just watched the old punk movie Suburbia the other night which was actually alright, I like that the director used actual punk kids rather then training actors or anything. Seeing TSOL when they're in their early 20's playing live for a minute is pretty fantastic too, I actually cracked up when the singer hit the skinhead kid in the back of the head and caused the brawl. Despite being a feel good movie it has several pretty violent scenes with extremely young kids getting killed in brutal ways to start and end the movie. Good way to open and close a film even though it isn't too over the top/gory and not graphic at all I still imagine it was shocking for people at the time (early 80's), along with the original Assault on Precinct 13 I'd guess it probably played a role in cementing the taboo of showing children being killed in mainstream movies.
Too bad that most of Spheeris other movies are dreadful.
I do have a soft spot for early 80's punk and edge of punk movies.
Repo Man, Get Crazy, Dogs in Space, Decline and Fall... and Urggh a Music War.   
I am forgetting a bunch. What I love is that for all those movies get right (Dogs in Space was very much like my life in the 80's) they so often do the TV punks thing, which is innacurate but just so cartoonishly great.
Get Crazy is an accidental masterpiece. It has the dubious distinction of marking the nadir of Malcolm Mcdowell's acting career. About 10 years after Clockwork Orange?
It also features Ed Begley jr and Robert Picardo. Musically its 20 odd bands covering Hoochie Coochie Man.
Also drug references and McDowell talking to his penis.

Fluid Fetish

Quote from: calaverasgrande on August 11, 2016, 09:07:49 AM
Quote from: Fluid Fetish on August 09, 2016, 01:02:10 AM
Too bad that most of Spheeris other movies are dreadful.
I do have a soft spot for early 80's punk and edge of punk movies.
Repo Man, Get Crazy, Dogs in Space, Decline and Fall... and Urggh a Music War.  
I am forgetting a bunch. What I love is that for all those movies get right (Dogs in Space was very much like my life in the 80's) they so often do the TV punks thing, which is innacurate but just so cartoonishly great.
Get Crazy is an accidental masterpiece. It has the dubious distinction of marking the nadir of Malcolm Mcdowell's acting career. About 10 years after Clockwork Orange?
It also features Ed Begley jr and Robert Picardo. Musically its 20 odd bands covering Hoochie Coochie Man.
Also drug references and McDowell talking to his penis.

I haven't seen any of her other films for the most part with a few exceptions, but you're not the first person I've heard say that exact thing about her haha. Apparently she directed Waynes World and Black Sheep though, so she at least gets somewhat of a seal of approval from me haha...at least for Black Sheep which has possibly the best scene of a fat man falling down a mountain side in movie history. And that's a bold achievement.

You nailed it though, for everything these movies get right or realistic they also typically have a hollywoodish or after school special feeling to them, although having said that I grew up in a punk flop house for part of my youth and some of the shit from these movies still rings true or makes me recall some of the batshit crazy experiences I've had during that era of my life.

I've never heard of Get Crazy, but you sold me on the McDowell talking to his penis and drugs. Definitely going to have to hunt that one down now...

david lloyd jones

Quote from: Fluid Fetish on August 10, 2016, 10:30:36 PM

suspiria and inferno are likely high points of argent's career. other stuff plenty good but these seem to be a pinnacle

I think the Suspiria 4k transfer is good motivation to have a blu ray disc player in some form by next year, you're right it's going to look incredible.

If you like the look of Suspiria I cannot suggest Inferno enough, it's for free on youtube and worth watching in any available form. I'd love to see a similar high quality transfer of it some day. Admittedly, Inferno is definitely 'light' on story and script but incredibly in depth on everything else. Underwater scene is definitely worth mention and remembering, but to me everything about this movie is. Every death is like a weird puzzle involving witchcraft, the lighting in all of it's trippy blue and red glory is unmatched, the music fits perfectly, I could write a book about this movie. Didn't hurt that I first saw it in my heavy drug days, but still going back and watching it sober it has the same strong impact on me.

both suspiria and inferno represent a peak of argent's artistic genius.both are recommended in any artistically true format.

Fluid Fetish

Quote from: david lloyd jones on August 12, 2016, 04:05:47 PM
Quote from: Fluid Fetish on August 10, 2016, 10:30:36 PM

suspiria and inferno are likely high points of argent's career. other stuff plenty good but these seem to be a pinnacle

both suspiria and inferno represent a peak of argent's artistic genius.both are recommended in any artistically true format.

Surprised to see at least one other person out there shares my appreciation of Inferno, a lot of people have seen Suspiria and like it, but Inferno seems to be a forgotten and under appreciated bastard child as usually when I bring it up I'm met with no response or blank stares.

bitewerksMTB

Last night was the bd of Polanski's classic, Repulsion, released by Criterion Collection. I bought it used on eBay & it arrived bouncing around in the case. I checked it & it freezes 50 minutes into the film so the seller told me to keep it & refunded my money. The film looks great & plays fine except the short freezes.

aububs

watched Baskin and The Green Inferno last night.

Baskin was ok.

Green Inferno is rubbish.

Fluid Fetish

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on August 13, 2016, 08:53:17 PM
Last night was the bd of Polanski's classic, Repulsion, released by Criterion Collection. I bought it used on eBay & it arrived bouncing around in the case. I checked it & it freezes 50 minutes into the film so the seller told me to keep it & refunded my money. The film looks great & plays fine except the short freezes.

Take it to a record store/movie store/mom and pop media outlet if you have any in your location and ask if they have a disc buffer, usually most places only charge a few bucks per disc and that will possibly get your movie working, if you'd like.

david lloyd jones

repulsion-absolute Polanski classic, possibly his high point, an arguable but defendable point or view.

recent purchases enjoyable but not in same league: deodato's washing machine,
'the sister of Ursula' Gallo sexploitation,
your cheating heart- a private eye story set in Glasgow's country and western underground with added musical interludes.s odd and banal as it sounds. perhaps you had to be there at the time to appreciate.

david lloyd jones

just seen 'the editor' a smart Canadian low budget tribute to Gallo and other itallo films of a certain era.
not a film classic but very little to fault and lots of fun tracking visual and sound references.

aububs

love The Editor. personally i think it's a total classic.

you should watch Father's Day if you haven't already.

and Manborg.

david lloyd jones

not a new film or even for me new.
last night I watched the Texas chain saw massacre again.
ever since realising the date of the events of the film, following some book I read, I have been watching this film on the date that the ' fictional 'events happened.
the first time was the 40th anniversary when I watched it with barbeque meats.
I have since tried watching in real time (not a good experience)
also, last night just listening,- the soundtrack is so crucial to this film.

would encourage and be interested deep immersion into films.