Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 29, 2009, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bitewerksMTB

I'm thinking I haven't seen Hellraiser since before dvd. Same goes with the second film. Last time I watched either film was, most likely, on cable tv. I did read the first volume of Barker's Books of Blood not too long ago. If Cinemageddon comes back online, I'll d/l the Arrow bd's.

Earlier I watched a crime film from 1968 called The Split. It features an all-star cast: Jim Brown, Warren Oates, Ernest Borgnine, Jack Klugman, Gene Hackman, & Donald Sutherland. It's about a robbery during a football game. In the first scene that features everyone mentioned, Oates blurts out "I don't have time for no smart-mouthed nigger!" right as Brown enters the room. The film is based on a Richard Stark novel. There's also an outrageous scene involving a woman being shot to death with a machine gun resulting in the killer having an orgasm so strong he can't stand up.  Recommended!

david lloyd jones

just watched 'the sister of Ursula' on shameless DVD.
late 70's Gallo/sleaze/soft poon release with  a number of supporting actors from more famous films (suspiria, don't torture a duckling, zombie) given a chance in lead roles.
plays a bit like an early 70's jess Franco film but without that director's obsession and surrealism.
all the Gallo tropes are here-a complex needless plot, rich protagonists, a black gloved killer, albeit with a more unique weapon than a razor, wildly unsuitable music, female nudity.
not a classic by any means, but an enjoyable waste of 90 minutes.

ConcreteMascara

Monday night I watched What Have They Done To Your Daughters? which was pretty fucking great. the massive meat cleaver was an absurd murder weapon given the tone of the rest of the movie, but the killings were glorious. a few shades darker and sleazier than Dallamano's ...Solange which surprised me.

also, watch From Beyond  for the first time in 5 or 6 years. enjoyed it a lot more this time than I remembered from before. it's fucking ridiculous but watching it with my friend and doing our own rifftrax added a lot. plus the lead dame ass looks really great in the BDSM gear.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

calaverasgrande

an 80's movie based on Lovecraft starring Jeffery Combs! How can you go wrong?
I love 80's horror/sci-fi B movies, before CGI made all movies look the same.
Not starring Combs, but the Spanish production Dagon is a pretty good Lovecraft.

david lloyd jones

'psychomania' a wonderfully cheap, trashy UK exploiter about an immortality seeking devil worshipping motorcycle gang.
support actor George sanders killed himself shortly after leaving the message 'I'm so bored with life'
disc is new bfi flipside edition

bitewerksMTB

I watched Re-Animator & From Beyond not too long ago. Re-Animator is pretty great but F.B. has always been my favorite of the two. I was surprised at how extreme some of the violence in Re-Animator is.

A couple of days ago, I watched Piers Haggard's snake film, Venom, followed by Michael Mann's Manhunter. Also, one night last week was George Romero's Martin, which, really needs a proper collector's edition Blu-ray release!

Fluid Fetish

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on September 28, 2016, 09:37:26 PM
Open your eyes. Look at the world, it's either you or them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFGPKShiOX4

Seeing this movie touched up in all it's grimey glory is going to be something to behold.

Reanimator and From Beyond are absolute classics of the horror/sci-fi genre and other then Castle Freak and the Frighteners is Jeffrey Combs at his finest. The violence in both is pretty extreme as bitewerks mentioned, the shovel decapitation scene in Reanimator especially. From Beyond has brains being freshly eaten out of eye sockets so it's just as glorious haha. I also love how trippy and psychedelic From Beyond is since the device bathes everything in that neon pinkish glow...I love the concept of the resonator in general though and was fascinated with the pineal gland before I even saw this movie.

How does everyone feel about Bride of Reanimator? Beyond Reanimator? I still haven't seen the last installment but Bride is just as good as the first one in my opinion..

david lloyd jones

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on September 27, 2016, 09:14:42 PM

. Also, one night last week was George Romero's Martin, which, really needs a proper collector's edition Blu-ray release!

given the arrow 2dvd reissue a few years ago, perfectly doable
note the goblin soundtrack to the Italian version, whilst fine as a standalone soundtrack, is massively unsympathetic to the film (not uncommon for itallo soundtracks) with the USA ost being far superior.

the Italian version came about from the same kind of deal that led to the euro version of dawn of the dead with a goblin soundtrack and different edit.

bitewerksMTB

Quote from: david lloyd jones on September 29, 2016, 07:35:57 PM

. Also, one night last week was George Romero's Martin, which, really needs a proper collector's edition Blu-ray release!

note the goblin soundtrack to the Italian version, whilst fine as a standalone soundtrack, is massively unsympathetic to the film (not uncommon for itallo soundtracks) with the USA ost being far superior.

the Italian version came about from the same kind of deal that led to the euro version of dawn of the dead with a goblin soundtrack and different edit.

The US dvd of Martin is in the wrong aspect ratio but looks okay. I'm guessing the rights are with the same company that owns Dawn of the Dead who want an arm and a leg to license it out. I don't think I've heard the Goblin soundtrack for it; I have seen an image of the paperback book I'd love to own.

david lloyd jones

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on September 29, 2016, 08:57:52 PM
Quote from: david lloyd jones on September 29, 2016, 07:35:57 PM

The US dvd of Martin is in the wrong aspect ratio but looks okay. I'm guessing the rights are with the same company that owns Dawn of the Dead who want an arm and a leg to license it out. I don't think I've heard the Goblin soundtrack for it; I have seen an image of the paperback book I'd love to own.

likely the case regards licencing.
would like to see the paperback image.

monster ripper

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on September 29, 2016, 08:57:52 PM
I have seen an image of the paperback book I'd love to own.

Used to have that.  Might still.  I'll have to check my storage next time I'm up at the old house (probably won't be for a while though.)  I'll hook you up if it turns up. 

bitewerksMTB

Quote from: Fluid Fetish on September 29, 2016, 01:18:34 AM

How does everyone feel about Bride of Reanimator? Beyond Reanimator? I still haven't seen the last installment but Bride is just as good as the first one in my opinion..
[/quote]

I watched Beyond Reanimator a few weekends back on Chiller TV. It's dumb & I seem to remember it turns comedic in the end? I think all the gore was there but a scene or 2 of nudity was censored along with naughty dialogue. I don't think I'll be tracking it down to watch again uncensored.

Bride... I've seen on vhs but remember fuck all about it. I think Arrow recently released it on Blu-ray?