Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 29, 2009, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

david lloyd jones

calaverasgrande

Quote from: david lloyd jones on August 19, 2016, 06:30:40 PM

..also, last night just listening,- the soundtrack is so crucial to this film.
would encourage and be interested deep immersion into films.
This is such a crucial part of many films. I wrote a paper on the movie 'Brazil' in college. I picked it arbitrarily from movies I happened to have on VHS.
But after watching it over and over to log the exact way that themes are used in the film, I came away with a much clearer understanding of the movie.  Not because I watched it so many times. But rather because the score underlines exactly when the protagonist Sam escapes into a world of fantasy. A distinction that the visual aspect of the film is more ambiguous about.
I keep meaning to get a copy of Blade Runner to analyze in the same fashion.

Fluid Fetish

I play the Blade Runner soundtrack on at least a weekly basis as it's my favorite movie easily, wouldn't say the score underlines the unfolding sequence of events in the movie exactly but it damn sure captures the cyberpunk film-noir feeling of the film. It's also possibly the 'loneliest' sounding score and some of the most depressing music ever which fits the atmosphere and tone of the movie perfectly in my opinion (Blade Runner Blues comes to mind), definitely basically laid the blue print for bands like Killimanjaro Dark Jazz Quartet and Bohren.

david lloyd jones

have to say that when referring to this I mean the soundtrack as a whole (ie the film in sound) not the music. ost music is a whole different thread that I am too retarded to instigate.

david lloyd jones

red and rosy by frank grow.
saw this as support to Tetsuo, the iron man in a cinema in Liverpool aeons ago.
recently looked up on the internet and expectations fulfilled.
check it out

cr

Quote from: Andrew McIntosh on April 30, 2016, 04:48:22 PM
Quote from: cr on April 30, 2016, 04:22:32 PM
Who Can Kill a Child? [ ¿Quién puede matar a un niño?]

Now that looks promising, "Lord of the Flies" gone hyper. Must track it down some time.

Could you already watch it? What's your opinon?

cr

Quote from: cr on May 20, 2016, 07:23:19 PM
Yesterday I caught a short glimpse at the 4th or 5th episode of a series called "Jordskott" (I think). So don't really know what's going on there. Somehow looked like a Swedish version of Twin Peaks. Has anybody seen it/could recommend or comment on it?

Finally bought the first season for very cheap. Will start watching this evening. So if it's shit - not much money wasted.

bitewerksMTB

Quote from: cr on August 26, 2016, 09:18:45 PM

Now that looks promising, "Lord of the Flies" gone hyper. Must track it down some time.

Who Can Kill a Child? is excellent. I watched the dvd released by Dark Sky not too long ago. I hope the film gets a Blu-ray release at some point.

Along the same lines is an American film called Devil Times Five (out on Code Red).

aububs

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on August 26, 2016, 09:33:37 PM

Who Can Kill a Child? is excellent. I watched the dvd released by Dark Sky not too long ago. I hope the film gets a Blu-ray release at some point.

Along the same lines is an American film called Devil Times Five (out on Code Red).

Bloody Birthday is another good one. it's about 3 kids who are born during an eclipse when the sun and moon were blocking saturn, which is the planet that rules emotions in case you didn't know. so it turns out that these 3 kids, as a result of these solar shenanigans, have no emotions or conscience, and decide to start killing people 10 years later. highlights are the little girl who entices her policeman father towards her only to have her two kiddie accomplices batter him to death with a baseball bat, as she looks on in sinister approval. also one of the little killer kiddies finding a 357 magnum and going on a shooting spree. the killer girl charging the neighbourhood boys a quarter to spy through a peephole on her big sister getting changed (these scenes are particularly wrong), and also one of the little killer boys smiling like a little shit at anyone who suspects he is a killer but can't prove it.

bitewerksMTB

Definitely agree on Bloody Birthday. I watch it, at least, once a year on Turner Classic Movies. I'd gladly buy the blu-ray if I found it cheap.

I like the UK remake of The Children, too.

Last night, I watched The Strange World of Coffin Joe. I think I may watch the other films that are in a coffin box set over the next few days.

Fluid Fetish

Watched Tenebre for the first time last night, cost me but was well worth it. Nothing tops the first two movies of the Three Mothers trilogy but I really liked it, don't normally like these type of suspense thriller movies but when Argento does it for some reason I'm intrigued. Probably the most coherent and actually consistent Argento plot I've seen thus far other then Opera maybe, the film isn't dubbed either which I found odd for an old Italian movie. I like the atmosphere and characters in Deep Red a little more but this was still good.

Anyone have any opinions or ideas on all these reoccuring concepts and themes in all of his movies? Lizards, little girls, people drooling before they're killed in Deep Red, tension between sexes, people mistaking the main characters profession for another one (in Deep Red and Inferno the villans do this), using always his own black gloved hands for the murder scenes, animal attacks, people never being what they seem etc. Part of his appeal and style for me is how cryptic everything is and makes me wonder about this stuff.

david lloyd jones

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on August 26, 2016, 09:33:37 PM

who can kill a child got a UK remake with a different name that I can't recall, likely as it was no good. just stick with the original.
devil times five is a really 'wrong' film that today's remake would render neutered. life garrets character in particular, with his flirting/seduction of his victim is something that would never get remade today.

the children UK ilk is superior modern entertainment.
not to forget the ? original creepy children film- 'the midwych cuckoos ' John Wyndham book filmed as 'village of the damned' featuring creepy blonde Aryan children with telepathic communication and evil alien intent

bitewerksMTB

"Anyone have any opinions or ideas on all these reoccuring concepts and themes in all of his movies? Lizards, little girls, people drooling before they're killed in Deep Red, tension between sexes, people mistaking the main characters profession for another one (in Deep Red and Inferno the villans do this), using always his own black gloved hands for the murder scenes, animal attacks, people never being what they seem etc."

Dario is a master of taking  daily life, hum-drum nonsense, dramatize it just a little & end up with a cool movie. I'm really looking forward to Opera from the always annoying Code Red label.

I get to send my damaged bd disc of Repulsion to Criterion & they'll replace it for free. Cool beans!

Picked up Tobe Hooper's Eaten Alive today from Hastings for 40% off...

I'm not sure I've seen the US film, The Children. And yeah, Village of the Damned is a classic. I've always liked British horror.

Fluid Fetish

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on August 29, 2016, 09:52:55 PM
"Anyone have any opinions or ideas on all these reoccuring concepts and themes in all of his movies? Lizards, little girls, people drooling before they're killed in Deep Red, tension between sexes, people mistaking the main characters profession for another one (in Deep Red and Inferno the villans do this), using always his own black gloved hands for the murder scenes, animal attacks, people never being what they seem etc."

Dario is a master of taking  daily life, hum-drum nonsense, dramatize it just a little & end up with a cool movie. I'm really looking forward to Opera from the always annoying Code Red label.

Great way of putting it, and the way in which he dramatizes it is usually in a very colorful but subtle and surreal way, at least for his non-supernatural suspense thrillers that I've seen. Opera has such a weird mood throughout the movie that I love! The weird sleep hypnotism machine she uses, the concept of tying your victim up and killing their loved ones in front of them and then letting them go, the bizarre ending haha. I was just watching it on VHS a few nights ago.

I need to get copies of the two Demons movies too...the first one especially is one of the most fun and over the top horror movies ever.

vomitgore

Quote from: Fluid Fetish on August 28, 2016, 02:01:16 AM
Watched Tenebre for the first time last night, cost me but was well worth it. Nothing tops the first two movies of the Three Mothers trilogy but I really liked it, don't normally like these type of suspense thriller movies but when Argento does it for some reason I'm intrigued. Probably the most coherent and actually consistent Argento plot I've seen thus far other then Opera maybe, the film isn't dubbed either which I found odd for an old Italian movie. I like the atmosphere and characters in Deep Red a little more but this was still good.

Rewatched "Tenebrae" too, a few weeks ago, and I had seriously forgotten how great it is. However, watching "Sleepless" again at the weekend was an even bigger eye-opener. I would say it's superior to his "classic" Gialli regarding story-telling and Gore, but maybe the fact that it's a "new" film kind of prevents it from being praised as much as the older ones. Have similar feelings about the third Mother film.