Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 29, 2009, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

david lloyd jones

argento seemed to take the $ and tailor his films accordingly after tenebrae (a good late period Gallo).
his final part of the three mothers trilogy is almost desultory compared to the first two.
as time went on his films suffered in attempt to break us market (ironically in response to positive us response to his films).
whilst in recent years he hasn't been crape he has failed to return to his heights, and I doubt ever will.

david lloyd jones

as an almost repeat of my previous post, have to say the same applies to Polanski, until recent years when his craft recovers-9th Gate, the piano player. sob possible reprieve for argento.

david lloyd jones

watched 'tale of tales' yesterday
enchanting is not a word commonly used but this, I think sums the film up in both senses of the word.
I would have used the same word for pan's labyrinths, and was disappointed this morning when watching his 'crimson peak', which to my mind recalls more the melodramas of the 30's with Stewart Granger or James mason as villains

bitewerksMTB

Just finished The Sinful Dwarf plus the XXX film, The Blue Balloon, made by people involved with T.S.D. Definitely a worthwhile release from Severin even if T.S.D. is kind of dull.

Neons Fanzine

Sinful Dwarf is great, it reminds me sometimes of the atmosphere during Bloodsucking Freaks, even though they're totally different
Maybe just because there are dwarfs in both ha ha

I don't often watch Vice documentaries, but I saw this one called THE CANNIBALS WARLORDS OF LIBERIA and it was awesome. Raw footage, interesting material, subject and interview. You should give it a try
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=618&v=ZRuSS0iiFyo

And if someone knows movies or documentaries about wars in Africa or Eastern Europe, child soldiers and such, let me know

calaverasgrande

Quote from: david lloyd jones on September 02, 2016, 05:17:04 PM
enchanting is not a word commonly used but this, I think sums the film up in both senses of the word.
I would have used the same word for pan's labyrinths, and was disappointed this morning when watching his 'crimson peak', which to my mind recalls more the melodramas of the 30's with Stewart Granger or James mason as villains
I really liked Crimson Peak, there was a lot going on visually.
But it is one of those movies you simply must see in theaters.  There just isn't enough character depth to really draw you in watching on TV at home.
OTOH it's miles better than Pacific Rim. I love Del Toro, but he is uneven as fuck.

ConcreteMascara

watched "Short Night of Glass Dolls" last night for the first time. aside from some pretty rough dubbing the film was actually above and beyond what I'd expect from the time and genre. really a solid psychological thriller with shades of "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" and maybe potential influence on "Eyes Wide Shut". and it was also done in glorious technicolor! recommended!

[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

Neons Fanzine

Quote from: ConcreteMascara on September 06, 2016, 11:56:22 PM
watched "Short Night of Glass Dolls" last night for the first time. aside from some pretty rough dubbing the film was actually above and beyond what I'd expect from the time and genre. really a solid psychological thriller with shades of "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" and maybe potential influence on "Eyes Wide Shut". and it was also done in glorious technicolor! recommended!

Never heard of it before, looks great! Gonna watch this one, thanks

david lloyd jones

Quote from: calaverasgrande on September 06, 2016, 08:06:25 PM
Quote from: david lloyd jones on September 02, 2016, 05:17:04 PM
I really liked Crimson Peak, there was a lot going on visually.
But it is one of those movies you simply must see in theaters.  There just isn't enough character depth to really draw you in watching on TV at home.
OTOH it's miles better than Pacific Rim. I love Del Toro, but he is uneven as fuck.

actually quite liked pacific rim for it's lovecraft notions regarding the 'aliens'.

david lloyd jones

Quote from: ConcreteMascara on September 06, 2016, 11:56:22 PM

recently got on euro release via camera obscure.  definitely a Gallo to see.

calaverasgrande

Just occurred to me you stiffs might dig Master of the Flying Guillotine. A classic kung fu movie from the 70's.
Jimmy Wang Yu plays a one armed guy as he usually does. There is a succession of marital arts contests that are just absurd. One man has arms that can stretch to any length, there is a monkey man and so on.
There is also a mad monk with a swastika bib that is killing one armed people. While Kraftwerk plays in the background (komentenmelodie and some stuff off of Kraftwerk II).

It's not your usual kung fu.
The copy that I own is partially dubbed, partially subbed.
The first time I watched it I was... a little high.  When the english speaking part kicked in I thought I could understand Chinese!
Yeah, pot is legal in CA what did you expect?

Neons Fanzine

Hahaha I watched this one five years ago or so totally wasted too i thought i was gonna die laughing
It has no sense at all
And if anyone has similar kind of absurd kung fu movies, i'd be highly interested

ConcreteMascara

^^^
not quite as absurd by the Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky is pretty balls out nuts. Like a live action Fist of the North Star.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8Rm5_N-f8g
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

Neons Fanzine

Ricky Oh is 100% over the top, that's why I like it. I haven't read the manga but I guess it was to stay in the atmosphere, like the scene in the prison director's office. Total retarded humor you can find in cartoons or comics

addictor33

check out the russian movie "the green elephant", def. worth watching! at some point u have to be patient with this film but u will get rewarded in the last third!