PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grübelschlinge

Antidote - thou shalt not kill 7"
After living with numerous bootlegs all over the years I got the leg version on B9. Anyway, this is NYHC! Violent, no mercy, in your face, fukk off!

tiny_tove

CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0

FreakAnimalFinland

CONCRETE THREAT "Thrust Of Passion" tape
Abhorrent A.D. 07
Have not cared much of CT stuff, and its not like this would change much. It is ok for what it is. HNW in its typical form. Perhaps already enough dynamics to almost constitute as regular harsh noise release. If B-side would be something clearly different, tape would be much better. Now reaction is "ah, more the the same". Most crappy element of tape is the design. With HNW releases one would expect packaging to deliver something extra, but lame fuck-pic with about 72dpi resolution demonstrated utmost lack of passion.

RYAN BLOOMER "Ten Elbow Strikes" tape
Abhorrent A.D. 09
Bloomers tape could be lumped to HNW category as well. It is far more tasty in texture and detail than CT. Not just one solid fuzzy rumble, but sound slowly malforms into new things. Always moves in one layer, heavily crackling and grainy line-recording, yet within material you can sense active modulation. Despite limited range of sounds and simplistic structure, things are happening. This label appeared to release 16 releases during 2007 and then... disappear?

WHITE HETEROSEXUALS "Maining of the 72 virgins" tape

Negation Is Freedom
Talking about 2007-ish and coming and going... This project what competed quite high among stupid bandnames category, didn't leave much of legacy behind. One single sided 12" vinyl and 7" was still achievement. If the name wasn't this dumb, hysterical vocals, feedback fueled gutter noise could probably be just enough to raise these very limited vinyls from discount bins? By no means one could say we have power electronics classic in our hands, but it gave indication that it could have had potential if they just wanted to be more than amusing short lived project. Even now, it seems clear band could merely fill short releases with half decent, half lazy tracks.

FORBIDDEN FUCK "Borderline" tape
Callow God
One-off project of Dan Johansson a.k.a. Sewer Election and Impregnable from 2008. Not sure how they have done it, but it is possible Dan is submitting heavy dose of harsh noise and Impregnable adds vocals and further noise? Heaviness and brutality of this material is undisputed. It has kind of deep bassy rumble combined with buried vocals, high pitched feedback and crispy distortions and full sound is what reminds a bit of Mania. Structurally it is different. After slower beginning it simply continues to be pretty much solid harsh noise wall.  Good, but barely memorable in any way. Fits well to category of guys who can make good noise, are making noise. But that's it. Still light years behind collaboration projects such as first Edvige LP!

THE RITA / MANIA split tape
Harsh Head Rituals
Talking about Edvige... so on Dan's label, The Rita and Mania doing split tape in 2007! Very little could go wrong. Heaviness of noise wall of The Rita can't be denied. It's thick block of rumbling noise what has feel of massive flood of sound. Pace remains still fast. Perhaps idea of remixing Conqueror song is what makes it "fast". You can't sense origin of sound at all, but I'm sure it play a role in pace of noises. Untitled second track continues, but with little more activity of middle range noises.
What Mania loses on fullest non-stop bass rumbling, it wins by being far more diverse and lively. Layers of actively processed crashing heavy metal junk, distorted electronics and other physical elements. Deep buried howling vocals. All these are already trademarks of Mania, but this belongs to projects earliest recordings and sound quality is slightly different from later works. Would this be analogue 4-track recording? I would guess so! When he did split CDR with T.E.F. back in 2001, I don't know if Mania was yet more than "side project" for Taint? This recording, originally ltd 20 copies CDR called "Disgust" from 2005 was startingpoint for a lot of releases to come. More active, more physical than almost any Taint. I don't wonder why Harsh Head Rituals wanted to reissue this on split, as listening material makes me wonder necessity for further re-issue! Not sure how many of this was made? 50? C-40 tape what makes one miss times of Harsh Head Rituals!
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

FreakAnimalFinland

Slow Obesity "Betrayed Teens" tape
Knull Kassetten 02
2006 project on sub-label of Harsh Head Rituals. Starts with spoken word piece and goes into wall of noise. Bassy rumbling and metal junk clatter on top. What ruins otherwise nice sex noise tape is the glitchy pops and snaps that appear very frequently and happen on very different level compared to slightly lo-fi noise chaos. Too bad. Other side is much much more powerful, which makes me wonder if A-side is simply dubbed badly. It is pretty much the same, but simply 100x more clarity, punch and power.

YOUNG ONE "Gateway Crime" tape
Brownhill Mafia
New Finnish release. I told the guys 27 copies is way too little. And after couple times listening this, I must repeat: Too few was made! Spoken word pieces and more thought patterns of various industrial waste sounds sets this apart from typical finnish newcomers who's just "smash things up". There is clearly ideas as well as willing to go to different direction than many others. Not overtly disgusting or violent, but dark and grim!

SEWER ELECTION "Killing For Denmark" tape
SEWER ELECTION + TRERIKSRÖSET "Killing For Finland" tape

Harsh Head Rituals
Ten years ago, going to noise show in other country would be good opportunity to make small run of merch to be sold. Not sure how many are now doing stuff just for the live shows, but maybe they are? Just don't see that much harsh noise live gigs where it would happen. These tapes in a way are musically always guaranteed harsh head rituals, but at the same time one could say one survives without them. Brutal crunchy walls of harsh noise, with nothing new, nothing old. 2005-ish totality.

ANDREW COLTRAINE "Economy Of Evil II" tape
Nurse Etiquette ‎– NE69
This is kind of moments when one has been listening plenty of noise, and occasional exhaustive manic enthusiasm lurks in brain and one wonders can all the stuff I listen really all so good? Then it is great to hear a tape that gives perspective: Yes, those tapes has been great, but this isn't.
It's not like Coltraine tape would be bad, but just isn't as good as many of the genre masterminds have created. It appears wrong way sloppy and half assed. Not enough punch and energy. But neither enough grim and suffocated lo-fi. Not disturbing frequencies. Not heaviness nor hectic cut ups etc. Basically just routine average noise. Which played as it is, would be just fine. But during days filled with great noise, it reminds that not all is great...

WEAK SISTERS "One Way Doors" tape
Nurse Etiquette ‎– NE45
Same could be said about this. When C-10 features only snippets of good moments and otherwise seems like few random leftovers put on tape.... Not much point. Lazy. Very lazy. Perhaps there was attempt to capture moment where "too much noise" tries to come from channel and signal kind of shuts down, but.... ain't working.

PHROQ "The Kindom" tape
Truculent 2006
This, in other hand, is prime example why I like to listen noise tapes. It offers something little unusual. Something which most likely would not make its way to full length album, but perhaps should. On tape format he dares to waste most of the playtime of tape for ultra high pitched electronics and feedback, what keep you mostly on threshold of moment where it ALMOST explodes into full blast, but almost never does. Painful wait is almost like some Crumer of later Sickness pieces, but in the other hand not really. Just growing tension little by little. Until finally unleashing the beast somewhere in b-side and if you adjusted volume level of stereos to proper headfuck, it will hit like hammer. 
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

putridnight

The Body/Krieg split LP - Admittedly, I haven't liked any of the (many!) recent Body collaborations, but this one does it for me. Pounding rhythmic industrial and filthy noise. Doesn't "sound like" either of the two bands, I guess the sum of the parts is greater...? To me, synth sounds a bit like Paranoia-type Atrax Morgue. Other songs, more percussive and simple similar to Will Over Matter, but lots going on. Later songs in album get into weird beat-centric almost noise techno pieces which I dislike quite a bit. Despite that, I think record has plenty of great moments.

holy ghost

Magma - Konzert Zund 12 CD box set - I didn't know if I needed this, as I have the Retrosectiw I, II & III plus Live/Hhai LPs, but there is some seriously great concerts on here. I'm a fan of all Magma eras and the newer recordings of the last few LPs are just fantastic. The Alahambra I & II sets in particular are particularly excellent, and the Triton series are really well done. Packaging is phenomenal, the "box" itself is huge although the "80 page book" is really just a lot of pictures and reviews in french. That's okay! I'm also really into the Slag Tanz LP that came out this year and the live recording on Triton Zund Zelekt II is wonderful.

Chaos Echoes - Transient DLP - still absorbing this massive work. Really my top record of the year. Totally hypnotic, unique metal.

Sissy Spacek - Wreck - totally harsh noise venture for SS. Really loving this one, just massively crushing low end, very dynamic. One of their standouts.

ConcreteMascara

i guess i'm nostalgic for high school or something because the past few days have been dominated by listening to Converge and Neurosis. aside from that:

Throat - Short Circuit mp3s - need to get a physical copy of this. probably the wildest sounding Throat record I've heard. generally not as "heavy" as past stuff but venturing further into the fringe of noise/math rock. Houston Soup is especially weird and awesome

Kowloon Walled City - Container Ships / Grievances mp3s - this band sounds a bit like a sludgier version of Pissed Jeans, but that doesn't really do it justice. super bitter sounding music which fits me perfectly. oddly some of the guitar tones remind me of Red House Painters.

JARL - Breaking Point Syndrome CD / Wound Profile CD - JARL literally never fails. both CDs are newer purchases for me and I wish I hadn't waited so long to get BPS especially. the last track on that one is really top notch.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

acsenger

Quote from: holy ghost on December 17, 2015, 06:11:05 PM
Magma - Konzert Zund 12 CD box set - I didn't know if I needed this, as I have the Retrosectiw I, II & III plus Live/Hhai LPs, but there is some seriously great concerts on here. I'm a fan of all Magma eras and the newer recordings of the last few LPs are just fantastic. The Alahambra I & II sets in particular are particularly excellent, and the Triton series are really well done. Packaging is phenomenal, the "box" itself is huge although the "80 page book" is really just a lot of pictures and reviews in french. That's okay! I'm also really into the Slag Tanz LP that came out this year and the live recording on Triton Zund Zelekt II is wonderful.

I didn't get this box because I have everything by Magma except for live recordings and I also have all of their DVDs, so I think there are only 2 recordings in this box that I don't have. I agree that their newer material is generally very good too (I also love Slag Tanz), even if they don't match the level of uniqueness and sometimes downright bizarre atmosphere that their classic albums have (e.g. Köhntarkösz or Üdü Wüdü).
I recently listened to the 4CD box of Offering, and for the most part their music was just as good as Magma's.

vomitgore

Have been enjoying the entire back catalog of the small Danish PE label APOSTLE OF PURITY. And this is indeed superb material! Both tapes by ANTI FEMINIST DEATH SQUAD "Anti Feminist Death Squad" and "Supra Mulieribus" offer noisy and brutal PE. Very powerful and primitive, but still multi-layered. "Innocent Inscest" by WHITE EYES OPEN takes kind of a similar approach, but moves more towards the screechy side of things. May be a little bit better than the AFDS material, maybe. All three releases are highly limited and not for sale on Discogs atm, but I would definitely recommend it to those who are into this kind of material, if an opportunity pops up.

https://youtu.be/S1gFpztEDfI

holy ghost

Quote from: acsenger on December 20, 2015, 04:43:35 AMI didn't get this box because I have everything by Magma except for live recordings and I also have all of their DVDs, so I think there are only 2 recordings in this box that I don't have. I agree that their newer material is generally very good too (I also love Slag Tanz), even if they don't match the level of uniqueness and sometimes downright bizarre atmosphere that their classic albums have (e.g. Köhntarkösz or Üdü Wüdü).
I recently listened to the 4CD box of Offering, and for the most part their music was just as good as Magma's.

I have the Retrospectiw I-III and the Live/Hhai albums so I didn't actually need a ton of music from this, but I'm glad I bought it nonetheless to hear the newer concerts, plus it looks amazing! I'm sure I could have downloaded it just as easy but for something like this it was worth it. In my mind the versions on Retrospectiw are just flawless, especially MDK.

Today:

Eric Dolphy - Out to Lunch! LP - this is one of my brothers favorite records and it's just never clicked with me, I use to think Hubbard was just too tame for the avant garde, and I'm alsways put off by a vibraphone.... but I picked up the reissue the other day to give it another go and hot damn, this is just hitting it perfectly for me. I guess anything with Tony Williams is going to be worth hearing. I dunno if it's the "landmark of free jazz" that it's made out to be, but it's definitely great.

Aluk Todolo - Ordre 10" - just the perfect mix of German Oak esque krautrock influence and dark fucked up improvised rock. Perfect weird record. I like all their stuff but this is the best record for me.

Gowl - Buzz Box 7"/Bluuurrr 7" - great contemporary grindcore. Nothing too technical, just great Scum era ND worship.

TRTRKMMR - Avec La Souillure Nous Entrons Au Règne De La Terreur - I don't know if I like this as much as I thought I would - its pretty cool, but feels almost too structured, tight, composed, like it just doesn't seem to ever let loose very much. I don't hate it, but I don't really love it either. I sort of thought it would be a slam dunk since I'm usually really into Iron Lung Records stuff, but this is just not doing it for me.

V.T.R

Quote from: holy ghost on December 20, 2015, 05:42:47 PM
Eric Dolphy - Out to Lunch! LP - this is one of my brothers favorite records and it's just never clicked with me, I use to think Hubbard was just too tame for the avant garde, and I'm alsways put off by a vibraphone.... but I picked up the reissue the other day to give it another go and hot damn, this is just hitting it perfectly for me. I guess anything with Tony Williams is going to be worth hearing. I dunno if it's the "landmark of free jazz" that it's made out to be, but it's definitely great.

Definitely a great album and Tony Williams is the man! I am also not a big fan of vibraphone, but something/everything in this record just hits the right spot. Freddie Hubbards Blue spirits is also great album, not avantgarde or "free" but still classic and has lot of memorable tracks.

I have been mellowing out with quiet drone music today; Stars Of The Lid's The Ballasted Orchestra CD and now playing:

V/A: A Selection Of Drones Past: Singles 1993-2000

2-cd compilation from the Drone Records. Pretty solid compilation, but I've always liked the second disc a bit more. Especially the Dronaement and Tarkatak tracks. Need to explore more stuff from those projects!

acsenger

Quote from: V.T.R on December 20, 2015, 10:06:09 PM
V/A: A Selection Of Drones Past: Singles 1993-2000

I also like this double CD. Recently I got two 7"'s on Drone Records, by Kallabris and Id Battery. I don't have anything else by these bands, but both 7"'s are great. It would be great to go through the 100 7" releases on Drone Records, but who has the money to buy even, say, 30-40 of them?

Toukaseibunshi - Meta-Inorganicmatter Meta-Newlon (CD, P.S.F. Records, 2009)

CD reissue of a tape from the 1980s by this obscure Japanese project. Track 1 is ambient noise and at 20 minutes, too long, but it's still quite nice. The other tracks are more in the noise vein, but not too harsh, with some industrial and ambientish touch at times. I'm reminded a bit of S·Core: not so much because of the music itself as due to the way the tracks are structured. There's not much development in the tracks; instead, there's a kind of obsessive focus on the same elements. There's often high-pitched feedback with various repeating sounds going on at the same time. It's a good, enjoyable CD. I also have the Stratosphere Sound LP from 2014 that I should listen to again and see how much the project changed after a ca. 25-year hiatus.

Zeno Marx

"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Ashmonger

Maskhead - Forced Perversions (C40, Filth&Violence): This certainly suits F&V, but I liked the 1st tape more. That one had sharper Harsh Noise, this one has a muffled sound, probably meant to be that way, but this doesn't really work for me. There are some nice parts though, but 40 mins is a bit too long...

Audial Decimation Records Compilation Vol. 1 (CD, Audial Decimation Records): I have downloaded this compilation about 6 years ago (I think) and quite liked it, even though I don't like every single track (still have to find a compilation where that's the fact and it would actually surprise me...). So, when I saw that Tesco still had this available while I was ordering some other stuff, I of course picked it up. I also always like this kind of booklets where each act has a page with its own layout. Anyone know which band it is on the Emil Beaulieau page?

sterilization