PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coinbender

Schakalens Bror ‎– Complete Open Ice Obliteration  c10
Schakalens Bror ‎– Vulkaniskt Helvete c10

excelent tapes, guitar driven harsh noise

absoluten calfeutrail

Been catching up on some vital 2014/5 action I missed. Insane postage and a brutal exchange rate for the Australian dollar means I'm waiting longer periods before committing to physical releases by mail-order these days. The days of taking a stab in the dark on an unfamiliar quantity are fading fast, as a disappointing outcome hurts more than ever. I'm finding that compilations are one way to work around this - while often solid in themselves, they can also reveal new avenues of investigation. Preview tracks on YouTube, Bandcamp and SoundCloud are also of great assistance.

Darksmith ‎'Everyone Is Welcome In My Room' cassette (Vitrine)
Exoteric Continent / Primorje split cassette (Second Sleep)
Kam Hassah 'Giardino' 2 x cassette (Second Sleep)
Kjostad ‎'Birchbark' cassette (Mazurka Editions)
Sadio 'Sophisticated Methods In Torture' cassette (Freak Animal)
Red Light S/T cassette (IOPS)
V/A Magnetic Detritus 2 x cassette (Imminent Frequencies)
V/A Map of the Interior cassette (Vitrine)
V/A Svensk Noise cassette (Forever United)

Otherwise 'Blackstar' has been on constant rotation - an absorbing work of death art.

Bleak Existence

The Rita  ‎–  Queen Sheets
i like the way he blend raw source with the static very much one of my favorite of is newer material

Andrew McIntosh

Armour Group's album "Purge" has finally been released (I can understand a delay in the release of a twelve inch vinyl album but delaying the download for the same reason?) and it's good. Leaning more to the sinister, Death Industrial side of things rather than a more rawkus Power Electronics, it's certainly carefully constructed, somewhat sparse and nicely recorded. My favourite track would be the longest one, "Conditioning", which has a simple rhythmic beat behind layers of droney static and hums. It's timed quite well and has a few somewhat acoustic sounding sounds thrown in at just the right time. Lyrically, the connection between lyrics and samples used across the album is such that this could almost be a conceptual album. Title tracks like "Strength", "Purge", "Shoot To Kill" are pretty much unpretentious and on-target. I'm only going by my first listen here, so I'm glad to hear I'm not going to be disappointed with this.
Shikata ga nai.

Zeno Marx

Quote from: Bleak Existence on January 20, 2016, 09:30:41 PM
The Rita  ‎–  Queen Sheets
i like the way he blend raw source with the static very much one of my favorite of is newer material
Texture.  This release, to me, is entirely about texture.  I haven't felt that (to this degree and in this way specifically) since maybe Hum of the Druid - Raising the New Wing/Braided Industry (hope that's the LP.  It's been a while).  Admittedly, I haven't heard everything The Rita over the past few years, so maybe this is standard, great affair for him.  Re-affirms the belief that he is one of the most interesting, and significant, noise artist/experimenters working today.  Upper echelon.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

holy ghost

Unsustainable Social Condition tapes: both of these (the S/T and collab with Ted Byrnes) are great. Sounds a little like Sissy Spacek at its absolute harshest and I dig that man. Really blown out, really harsh, really kind of sounds like what would happen if ou put your hand in a fucking meatgrinder.

Constrain/Wrong Hole 7" only had the Jane to play this once, really great after an initial listen. I need to go back and listen to the other Constrain material I have answered absorb this one a little more.

Coltrane - Interstellar Space. Finally found an LP of what might be one if my favorite records of all time. Essential listening for anyone who likes harsh things. The drumming is more notable than the sax, Rashied Ali is just hitting everything I want to hear when it comes to improvised music.

Cecil Taylor "The Eighth" I had to download this from what.cd as I've never been able to find a copy. Really great. I don't know if I know who the rhythm section is but the drummer is legit killer.

ELP: S/T can you even imagine what would happen if more of their stuff sounded like "The Barbarian"? Best song ever.

AXNAAR

Quote from: holy ghost on January 22, 2016, 11:35:52 PMELP: S/T can you even imagine what would happen if more of their stuff sounded like "The Barbarian"? Best song ever.

Peak of their career 1st song on 1st album - never heard anything else from them that even comes close.

holy ghost

Quote from: AXNAAR on January 22, 2016, 11:56:35 PM
Quote from: holy ghost on January 22, 2016, 11:35:52 PMELP: S/T can you even imagine what would happen if more of their stuff sounded like "The Barbarian"? Best song ever.

Peak of their career 1st song on 1st album - never heard anything else from them that even comes close.

Tarkus side 1, Fanfare for the Common Man, 1/3 of Brain Salad Surgery, a handful of other tracks. Such a great band but you could assembled DLP of everything essential.

V.T.R

Evan Parker Electro-Acoustic Ensemble: Drawn Inward (ECM)

Freejazz from legendary ECM label. Pretty big band, but minimalistic approach focusing more on textures and creating weird sounds. Nice feeling of space and lot's of quiet parts. Some live electronics and sound processing too in this soup. Almost fell asleep while listening this and worked really well in this half conscious state.

AXNAAR

Quote from: holy ghost on January 23, 2016, 05:08:34 AM
Quote from: AXNAAR on January 22, 2016, 11:56:35 PM

Tarkus side 1, Fanfare for the Common Man, 1/3 of Brain Salad Surgery, a handful of other tracks. Such a great band but you could assembled DLP of everything essential.

Sound, I'll give those a listen!

Zeno Marx

http://andthensheliedagain.blogspot.com/2016/01/markus-schwill-endzeitgeneration-split.html

I thought we'd discussed Endzeitgeneration, but a search didn't finding anything.  For those fiending for crude electronics, power-electronics, and industrial hybrid ala Einleitungszeit, Cazzodio, early Thorofon, and the like.  Not as spiced with industrial as I'd like, but they're very well good anyway.  I've heard maybe one other tape, and this is in line in quality with that as well.  The Schwill side is fine, but you grab this for the Endzeitgeneration.  I'd add them to the wishful box set thread.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

FreakAnimalFinland

HASSOKK "KAI BETONAS TAMPA NIEKIO MANIFESTACIJA" tape
Narcolepsia
I don't remember much of previous Hassokk tape. I remember that I liked what I heard, but also that wasn't so memorable. But this is perhaps simply the qualily which is not flaw, but simply matter of style. If I should drop some names, of course lo-fi rawness of Body Cargo could be obvious reference, but perhaps I may say this brings my mind closer to Alfarmania! If not by sounding the same, but the atmosphere of multilayered slowly drifting soundscapes of industrial waste, which isn't really aggressive, but suffocating. Nice!

CONTRARIAN / STEVE FRENCH split tape
CONTRARIAN / METH LAB EXPLOSION split tape

Factotum
Two C-10's. Steve French offers like poor man's Masonna. heh. Short average harshness with some vocal noises/screams.  Contrarian on first one is closer to "power violence" kind of stuff. If you'd leave Apartment 213 / MITB kind of roaring shouting, but less ambitious songs. More like just jamming 5 min worth of things.
On other split, it's more towards noisecore/noise fusion, and Meth Lab Explosion equally forgettable material. I guess the whole small edition C-10 underlines the spontaneous flow of material. Tapes being Fact042 and 082, so 40 releases between them....

WHITESWAN "TO THE POINT OF EXHAUSTION" tape
Narcolepsia
I feel there are levels in "filth", and while some of it is really good, others don't do much for me. I think debut Whiteswan promo tape was very promising. "Insatiable Lust" was decent, but tracks very alike. New tape offers more variety sonically, but also stretches material perhaps longer than project has ability. 40 min length of Whiteswan makes clear that there should be improvements made before he should make album. Vocals leave quite a lot to be desired. Effects? Or just scream louder. Especially 20 minutes B-side long track indicates sounds aren't that interesting if they are stretched into too long tracks. All in all, band still has potential, but should just focus rather than rely on easiness of being "lofi" & "raw", as best bands of that style usually have very distinctive qualities in sounds besides being rugged.

BIZARRE UPROAR "15 years... PURE HATE" CD
F&V
This era of BU is quite extensive in output, but looking back almost 10 years ago, band did set up very unique style for itself. Raw and ripping sound consisting pretty much metal junk, feedback and vocals. Some hectic stutter-loops and slower grinding loops of metal & chain sounds, but also actual physical live action what sounds like walking around in factory hall and dragging scrap metal and chains. Barbaric and physical approach isn't really lo-fi by any means. Its very sharp and in-your-face. This CD includes also bonus material what wasn't originally on the 5x tape box. It's well chosen, as it doesn't break the atmosphere at all.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

FreakAnimalFinland

DEVELOPER / MASS COMM split tape
DEVELOPER / SORCERER TORTURE split tape
Factotum
Dates back to 2013. All here are quite high pitched in sound. I know artists probably dislike to be lumped together, as there is certainly differences here. Nothing here is sort of MSNP type of brutally saturated heavy duty harsh noise. More towards Facialmess/Thirdorgan later days of Putrefier kind of stuff. Instead of hammering or constant aggression, especially Developer cuts you short distorted cuts and electronics signals and small metal objects into hectic noise. Developer side of Mass Comm split is best of here and Sorcerers Torture may be weakest. I miss true amplification and heavy bass crunch. Despite all-in-red dubbing on chrome tapes (both c-20's), it doesn't sound loud. This is perhaps the weakness. Developer would most likely benefit greatly from hard handed mastering job what would add some bulldozing frequencies.

E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

holy ghost

Dead Neanderthals - Endless Voids: I ordered this from the band and obtained a download code in the meantime. I'm a big fan of their Polaris album, and totally dig the drums/sax combo. This is an 80 minute live show with a host of extra musicians, lots of slow, evolving drones, muted cymbals, some synth, starts with a slow build, lots of reverbed out guitars and just builds and builds. Really excellent stuff!! I also ordered a few of heir other records and I'm hoping for some really out there free playing as well. Excellent transition from "free jazz" to "improvised sound art" without moving into pretentious territory. A+!

Bastard Noise - Rogue Astronaut: Hadn't listened to this one in a while, really great. Very much resembles Sun Ra in terms of scope and context, adding a Interstellar storyline, very dense and varied. I don't mind the chanting vocal parts in the middle but I much prefer woods deep subbass growled low end vocals.

Ashmonger

Last Dominion Lost - Towers of Silence (LP, Silken Tofu/The Epicurean): So, I had listened to some tracks from this LP a while ago on bandcamp, but never got around to buying it, then when I saw it at the Noisefest in Kortrijk I bought it. Seems a bit wrong now, waiting to buy it until one of them dies... Anyway, it's a really good piece of Industrial music. Varied approach, interesting sounds, interesting percussion, good sound and a sober but nice layout.

Unclean - Syntiinlankeemus (CD, Filth&Violence): Having heard the name Unclean around these parts quite often, I hadn't checked it out yet, but I decided to do so when this release was anounced. Quite a lot of samples, sparse vocals. Best track is Who Are You? Really bleak. Goes more into a Death Industrial direction. Good decision to get this.

Scatmother - Purulent Sublimity (CD, Filth&Violence): Filthy layout and perverse lyrics, does the job well. Belt-Buckle Discipline is a good opener, that sample is very effective too. But then the rest of the noise, well, it's not bad, but it doesn't do much for me. The vocals do show a good degree of variation between the tracks (with and without effects), but the tracks themselves aren't very interesting, seems like not much is happening...

Caligula031
Private Venus (C40, Lake Shark Harsh Noise): Nice packaging, lovely pics, hehe. Best track is the last one, the noise with the lady talking is really nice. The B side is very interesting too, apart from the Italian track of course, since my Italian is about as good as my Swahili...
Amria (C30, Wrath Productions): More good PE from Caligula031. Two long tracks, though it sounds like there are more tracks...
Slavetrade2000 (CD, Filth&Violence): Rather lo-fi (though not very lo-fi) filthy sound, quite some metal junk work, vocals a bit more buried. Cool album. I do wonder, however, what a cockring sounds like...
Topography of Smut Vol. 1 (CD, Filth&Violence): New tracks are good, though I like the tracks from Amria & Private Venus more. Albanian Meat Market is quite a different style, long tracks, more atmospheric especially Silver Shoes, but good too.

Clamor (tape, self-released): No title, no label, no information, only listed as tracks I to IV. Bought it from them at the Noisefest. Structure is the same as the gig, starts quite calm and gets a bit rougher towards the end. Not bad, but the gig was better. It just sounded better.

Analfabetism - Av Hjord Är Du Kommen (CD, Malignant Records):When I first listened to it at work on the Malignant bandcamp I wasn't into it, but I gave it another try and concluded that it actually is interesting. Now when listening to the CD I've come to the conclusion that it's very good Death Industrial (even despite the name which is a bit I don't know, just doesn't sound too good). Especially the 5th track with the great percussive elements is very good.

Climax Denial - Dehumanizing Environments (CD, Malignant Records):This is really good! For the most part there are no vocals. Clear sound, very atmospheric, there's an ambient quality to this as the tracks are long and slowly moving, it gets progressively bleaker or so it seems. Great artwork too!