PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

holy ghost

Quote from: whiteheatnoise on February 01, 2016, 05:12:31 AMIn my opinion, Oxen is carrying the torch of classic California harsh noise, taking off where such classic labels as Callow God, Ekhein, Monorail Trespassing and Static Aktion started around 10 years ago.

Completely agree. I've picked up the Constrain/Wrong Hole 7", Unexamine 7", both Unsustainable Social Condition tapes, Brath by Sissy Spacek and I've recently ordered the K2/Constrain/Fenian CD which hasn't arrived yet and I'm always impressed by the quality of the releases. Great label.

My recent playlist: Discharge SNHNSN/Why LPS: one of those bands I've played so much it has fallen into a "yearly spin" category but this is still the best band ever always now and forever. I honestly don't think I've ever heard Grave New World.

Napalm Death "FETO": Unlike Discharge I play ND every week I think this might be potentially my favorite LP ever made.

HHL: Shorn/Flail CS: probably one of the best harsh noise tapes I bought last year. Beautiful textures, think unrelentless walls with lots of subtlety happening. I was zoning out to an MP3 rip on the bus to work and almost missed my stop!

Cattle Decapitation first two 12"s: nope, has not held up very well. Deathgrind with Locust-y weird guitar bits. If this came out today I would literally hate it. Nope. Nope.

Heresy 1985-1987 LP plus Concrete Sox LP: Yep. Pretty much thee greatest hardcore band. Always a hot bangin' good time.

Andrew McIntosh

Side one of Con-Dom's "War And Ordinance", I don't know. I've listened to those spirals many times so I'm probably a bit too familiar with them, or maybe the sound is a bit too pristine or something but I was left underwhelmed. Side two, though, sounded a lot better to me, a lot more raw and powerful, the live Con-Dom sound we all know and love although not recorded with a walkman or something.
Shikata ga nai.

Bloated Slutbag

Knurl - Acetylphasia (2015)
Knurl – Thoracia (2015)

So you like your Knurl harsh, eh? That can be arranged. You'll probably have to endure several minutes of bright, pointy, drone, but you'll get your harsh. You'll fucking get it. The drone is certainly of the droning type of drone. It drones, for one. It is delivered, in part, by something called the saw blade cello, "an instrument built from saw blades and bass guitar strings". That's the kind of drone you're getting. "Apophraxis", it's called, and given Knurl's penchant for opening albums with the letter "A" there ought to be no surprises.... but fuck, this fucker just... drones... on and on. "Where's the fucking Knurl, you fucking fuck?" Razor thin drone, seething with barely contained agitation. Concentration. Focus. Discipline. ("Thwack!!" forthcoming.) There is absolutely no doubt that a fully-flogged knurling is in the cards but Mr Bloor is certainly dragging things out. I guess this is what one calls drama. Well played, I'll give him that. Ambient utterly divested of warmth, a droning ambiance verging on ear-piercing. Ear drilling. Ear-hole bleeding. Then. The fucking Knurl. Fuck. Fucking fuck. Fuckfuckfuck. Did I mention fuck? Like, fuck. The shit, it is harsh, harsh as. It is knurled as all... etc. Practically crystalline in its piercing harshitudes, crystal clear searing flatline that gradually acquires dynamics if not quite depths. Basically we sit in the frigging red-zone for the duration, ever so slowly unfurling new heights, highs, shrieks, squeals. Steely burn. Metallic blister. Tension at the utmost of peaks, the drilling extremities stretched to their harshingest. By the final offering, "Erytheurism", we are entering pure, white-zoned, scorch of the highest order. A few minutes in and the ear bleed scorcheries are ripping across the spectrum, the loss of control almost palpable, badly abused soundholes sadly out of their depth. In all truth, this need not be inordinately harsh- just turn the shit down. But somehow the temptation is there, as in all the best HARSH noise, to turn the shit way the fuck UP. Just brutal. Utterly. Brutal. Three track titles but really one long, astringent, performance. Patient, laid back. Deliberate thwacking of stringed, metallic, appendage. And with each thwacking, a nod of the head, a grin, an acknowledgement, a permanent hearing loss. A rocketing up- and away! Through the red zone, through the white zone, the punishing bliss seemingly neverending. Neverending story of the king of harsh metal-on-metal oblivion. Fucking Knurl! The man who knew his shit. Too much. Too- FUCKING- much. Beautiful.
The first thing I did when Thoracia popped into the earholes was laugh out loud. Ha. HA HA! This is, literally, an extension of the above commented  Acetylphasia. Not just an extension. It's like Mr Bloor pressed the eject button, popped another tape in the deck and declared, "Thoracia, be born!"- without a moment's pause in the actual saw blade cello-ing. Am I complaining? Hell no. When you are on to a good thing, why futz around with a single tape on a single label? So. The astringent taste, before-mentioned, repeats- but is flushed, this time, through a far less "hinged" sense of progression. The hint of drone is there, again, though much more expeditiously scorched out of the system. While I wouldn't say my neck is ready to snap, my earholes are certainly ready to bleed. Are bleeding. Are blood. "THWACK!" Enter punishment. The dialog with whipmaster and whipped. Fade out to wide-bodied "Acidactylation", allow the dense saturations to assuage aural passages thus far degraded to near non-responsiveness. Enjoy the gradual fleshing out of unutterably harsh extremity, heavier fluffily-puffilies giving way to iron-clad screech. Side II, again, pretends subtlety for a brief interval before giving way to a good, hard, thwacking. The artist before the storm. Then it is "Oxysterone" and wave after wave of harsh, razor-sharp, pummeling, if such a combination of words may, by the will of Mr Bloor, exist. Here I am caught in a tightly constricted steel trap, harsh white blasts slamming against coursing, bilious, waves, bruised fists bashing against huge sheets of warped, corrugated, tubing. None of this will prepare the earhole for the finale, entitled "Triphalosteride", which blasts straight into massive conflagration of competing screech, scorch, shriek, etc and so on and so forth. The hinges are off, the puritannical blasting- in. The earholes, quite, fucked. Words like "unrelenenting" seem appropriate, among other unnameable adjectives I probably haven't indulged since Tetramatrix. The only thing that saves the earholes from their final oblivion is the relative brevity of the indulgence. Which is just as well. More of the same would be as welcome as it would be obliterating.

Knurl/RDCD - split (2014)
Knurl, Zyzaxom - split (2015)

Two splits each featuring a single long Knurl and a sprinkling of shorter blasts courtesy RDCD and Zyzaxom. Knurl's "Synchronema" dropped in 2014, but could probably pass for Knurl at any juncture in his 20+ year career. Ponderous percussive thunder inducts a drawn-out series of severely singed shriekings, gentrified by billowing deep-sea currents. The shriekings reach their peak, elongate and commence upon slow, sizzling, earhole blister as deeper shades pool about the floor to net some quite substantive, flavorsome, texture. If I've heard this before it would have been via Pyrolysis, from 2012-  if a shade less hectic, more even-handed, realizing the expected brutalities without necessarily resorting to more ostensible, unhinged, hammering. Hammering of sort does present itself, perhaps as a matter of course, but is as often consumed in the swirling echos of lost decibels. So to additional word on Pyrolysis. Pyrolysis featured, in its latter passages, some welcome acoustic breaks, a cruel and churlish deity savoring the meting out of sound thrashings upon the sorry earhole, serving the course with a distinctly punishing aftertaste. The steel-on-steel flavors of Synchronema are just as full in body, but nothing quite so ill-tempered, sheering through well-tempered haze of cochlear heat to furnish a burnished, blushing, glow. Drawn-out teasing elaborations verge on sensual, flirt with drone, plunge the depths of softly-padded abrasion to be found among the vivid hues and multitextured scrapes, ultimately to bury themselves in the lovingly layered caressings of tensile, colon blown, seethe. If 2014's Synchronema flirts with drone, "Apheresis", from 2015, leaps ass-first into an interminable sea of unabashed harmonicaness. Dense enveloping ringings crowd out the metallic sources, drag themselves out to their limits, then pull back by degrees to reveal lusty, steel-tongued lashings poised for damage, hot-breathed, well-lubed underbellows salivating all over a shivering, engorged, throb. This is some of the most physical-sounding Knurl I have encountered, though the choice scrapmaterials are practically drowned in a sea of near overbilge. Flavorsome, yes- at least as flavorsome as Synchronema- and better-produced, the shrieking ear-bleed excess concentrated at its most painful, most piercing. Also to be appreciated: the overall "epic" arc of the piece, as it progresses through its thirty minutes from drone proper through to thunderous, somewhat melodramatic, percussive heave-ho- a somewhat somber answer to the almighty wailing as hammered into the earlier-mentioned Pyrolysis.- to usher in, finally, a climactic, severely pitched, surge back to drone proper. Against all that epic flavor, RDCD and Zyzaxom certainly have their work cut out. RDCD for his part was last heard splitting duties with Toshiji Mikawa. The shit was harsh, harsh as fuck, in fact, but came up a tad undercooked when served with the spaghetti-like depths of the mighty Incapacitant. In this split, with Knurl, RDCD fares rather worse. Sci-fi squealings lurch into whitened electro-rip, flopping at random intervals across a limited channel pan. Principle points are to be scored mainly on rawness alone, but I find myself waiting to return, quick, to the Knurl. Zyzaxom is a new project to me and, as a kind of semi-acoustic sister to RDCD, is immediately more to my taste. Frantic metal-bashing racket pushed into the red, pointed in attack, leaving little room for relent. Scraps slap about perimeter, float in cantankerous, junked, atmosphere. The main criticism would be in relation to depths that are, at best, hinted at, but never explored. Still this is a good general direction, and one that would seem to complement the Knurl. While I do have some difficulty in differentiating among the four submitted tracks, I would say that a little work could set the project on course for bigger and better things.
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

online prowler

cr

KORPSES KATATONIK: Oeuvres Completes CD (Klanggalerie)

Fantastic! My favourite is 'kaltfleisch corporor'. Disturbing 16 minutes long. Sleep well, my dear, with a crushed larynx.

Bloated Slutbag

Swans - Oxygen
(Acoustic Version) is easily the best Gira I've heard since New Mother. Reminds very much of some of my favorite tracks from that (Angels of Light) album. Fuck this epic post rock crap. Just bring the dissonant strummings and some fucked up vocals.
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

holy ghost

Paranoid - Satyagraha LP: god damn if this isn't the best hardcore LP I've bought in a decade. Perfect mix of raw Cimex meets Japanese raw punk, great distorted bass, killer riffs, a few excellent solos here and there. Furious, raw and intense. Stands out from the rest of the "dbeat raw punk hail disclose" crowd by having enough songwriting chops to make every sobg unique. Fucking perfect record.

Sex Dwarf: Non Stop Erotic Noise Cabaret: same as above, but not quite as perfect. Great record. Cheers to the poster here who suggested SEX DWARF.

Bastard Noise: Galactic Sanitarium LP: good BN record, but not too much of a departure from recent all noise stuff.

Antichrist: Sacrament of Blood LP: I dunno why everyone complains about the artwork, a demon fingerbanging and also killing a nude woman with a Lily Munster haircut is perfectly appropriate. Sounds like Blasphemy meets Black Witchery. They wear leather jackets and gasmasks.

K2/Constrain/Fenian CD: Lots of textural variety, esp on the K2 track. Only gave one listen but I really enjoyed it so far. Always great to hear more Constrain material. 

tiny_tove

new Grunt tapes. devastating works that don't sound like "left-overs" at all!

got latest issue of Night Science, very good and loved the Cd as well!
CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0

eyestrain

Quote from: holy ghost on February 09, 2016, 06:59:42 PM
Paranoid - Satyagraha LP: god damn if this isn't the best hardcore LP I've bought in a decade. Perfect mix of raw Cimex meets Japanese raw punk, great distorted bass, killer riffs, a few excellent solos here and there. Furious, raw and intense. Stands out from the rest of the "dbeat raw punk hail disclose" crowd by having enough songwriting chops to make every sobg unique. Fucking perfect record.

This is absolutely amazing!!

Baglady

SPECULUM FIGHT / LAB RAT - split CS (Anomalous Records)
1994 split tape on Anomalous. One never knows what to expect from old Speculum Fight recordings. His side of this split starts out with seemingly random knob twisting on some old synth (?) before an urgent stream of lukewarm sputtering electrified urine enters the picture. And that's pretty much it! The synth and the mentioned pissing shares the stage, taking turns, with the odd squeak of other ("home made") electronics joining in towards the middle. A brilliantly mixed and ostensibly simple piece of noise. I gave it several replays before moving on to Lab Rat, a name I wasn't familiar with at all before laying my hands on this tape. Lab Rat's side is a slow thing of a more ambient nature. "Bicycle, effects, tape" were the tools of choice here, but I would rather have guessed synth + acoustic objects and effects. The calm taking up half the side is treacherous though, as a loud windy roar breaks the flow and from there on things start happening more frequently with the tension slowly growing. The first half would have been quite lame on its own, but together with the second half it all makes perfect sense. It all sounds very vast, as if recorded in a concert hall or some other large place. This made me think of a slightly less primitive The Curfew Recordings with some elctronics and miced objects thrown in. While I'm partial to lukewarm electrified streams of urine and I probably like the Speculum side the most, the Lab Rat side is nothing short of amazing. Especially in headphones. And I must mention that I only paid 8€ for it in a usually pretty boring used records store in Gothenburg. Having heard it, I wouldn't have hesitated paying alot more. Fantastic tape.

cr

In the morning I was listening to:
Rosemary Malign & The Eugenics Council/Dr. Randall Phillip CD (Menschenfeind Productions)
Really strange work, but I liked what I heard.

Right now listening to all tracks available at  https://rosemarymalign.bandcamp.com/
Love it, even better than the E.C. & R.P. CD!

Would be great if someone could reissue everything by Rosemary Malign on a couple CDs!

cr

And for a great ending (beginning) of today's (tonight's) black out sessions:

The Wolfbane Blues - s/t
Mr. Vomit Arsonist plays bass here. Country, Blues and Rock'n'Roll. Perfect soundtrack.
After that I think I will listen to Those Poor Bastards - Vicious Losers - and finally leave this week behind.

andy vomit

Quote from: cr on February 12, 2016, 10:40:39 PM
And for a great ending (beginning) of today's (tonight's) black out sessions:

The Wolfbane Blues - s/t
Mr. Vomit Arsonist plays bass here. Country, Blues and Rock'n'Roll. Perfect soundtrack.
After that I think I will listen to Those Poor Bastards - Vicious Losers - and finally leave this week behind.

damn, never expected to see that disc listed in this thread.  glad you're into it.
thevomitarsonist.wordpress.com
danversstaterecordings.blogspot.com

cr

Hah, yeah I like it a lot. Honor to whom honor is due!

Andrew McIntosh

The new Genocide Organ is really good. A bit more of a "raw" sound than "Under Kontrakt", a bit more diversity with sounds. 
Shikata ga nai.