Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 29, 2009, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

david lloyd jones

'bride out in a couple of weeks in dual format from arrow.

re: sequels, not as interesting to my memory- not seen in years.
the comedy elements in these films are par for the course at this time, many films had it.
deadpan grim horror could be very unpopular-the likes of william lustig's maniac for example.
horror and comedy together do have history- prior to the 80's cycle there were oddball things like spiderbaby,and before that abbot and Costello battled both Dracula and the mummy, I believe. some film historians equate the addition of comedy tp horror as the end of a fertile period descending into parody.
whilst I thought reanimation and from beyond excellent, return of the living dead, spookier and stuff with 'scream queens' good arguments for the end of a cycle (especially in the USA)

ANDROPHILIA

-ANDROPHILIA
-LIM DUL

"Give me crack and anal sex
Take the only tree that's left
and stuff it up the hole
in your culture" 
(L.Cohen)

calaverasgrande

Wanna talk about comedy in horror.
I give you Tusk (2014) by Kevin Smith.
Also known as how to spend millions of dollars combining horror and comedy in the worst way possible.
The jokes are awful, the production is too well done to write off as a b movie.
And Justin Long.
At least Troma films have boobs.

cr

Watched Code Blue by Urszula Antoniak this morning, about a nurse suffering from loneliness and isolation. Has some really disturbing scenes, but the story could be better and the film a bit longer. Overall good.

After that Paradise: Hope, the third part of Ulrich Seidl's Paradise trilogy. It's been a while since I watched the first two parts.
Overweight teenagers go to a diet camp. The 13 year old main protagonist falls in love with the doctor and director of the camp, who is 30-40 years older than her.

U. Seidl is the best!
His new film is about hunting tourism and already caused some controversy.

bitewerksMTB

Roar- a "thrilling bore"; hard to believe no one was mauled to death!

Zoltan, Hound of Dracula- great scenes of the glossy black Doberman growling n' snarling (pitched down like that Vagina Dentata record) & the ugly torturer from Mark of the Devil is in this dull film.

Mosquito- from '95, homage to '50s sci-fi & Night of the Living Dead (holed up in boarded up house w/basement); all the scenes with the giant mosquitoes are great and splattery but the rest is actors just wandering or driving around. 90 minutes feels too long. Double-feature it  with Ticks.

aububs

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on October 02, 2016, 10:31:00 PM

caught Roar at a late screening in the cinema about a year ago. was great with a drunk crowd. would def be duller to watch at home alone.

bitewerksMTB

Quote from: aububs on October 02, 2016, 10:34:08 PM
Quote from: bitewerksMTB on October 02, 2016, 10:31:00 PM

caught Roar at a late screening in the cinema about a year ago. was great with a drunk crowd. would def be duller to watch at home alone.

It's an amazing film. It's like a Disney movie gone horrible wrong. The scene in the house is silly and dangerous then the music changes & it's like a horror movie then the movie slows down. And that main guy is just a lunatic running around, jumping in between battling lions.

aububs

that main guy is completely fucking crazy.

i think it took years to finish because people kept getting mauled.

david lloyd jones

'the hills have eyes' new blue ray edition on arrow.
provides newly remadtered for blue ray edition, with decent extras, a wonderful booklet, double sided mini poster.
all for cheap blue ray reissue price.

bitewerksMTB

The Hills Have Eyes is on its way to me. Should have it late next week.

Shitloads of Blu-ray releases coming soon: Severin is releasing Killing in America & Burial Ground late October; Scorpion should be announcing the release of Don't Go in the House very soon. It's a longer cut than previously released on dvd. Not sure what's coming for November but Scream Factory has Black Christmas for Dec., suppose to be a brand new transfer & they're also doing Cronenberg's Rabid (I want Shivers!); Driller Killer & Hellraiser 4-disc set from Arrow featuring the first three films & a bonus disc of extras about Clive Barker plus a 200 pg book!

david lloyd jones

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on October 09, 2016, 12:45:46 AM
The Hills Have Eyes is on its way to me. Should have it late next week.

Shitloads of Blu-ray releases coming soon: Severin is releasing Killing in America & Burial Ground late October; Scorpion should be announcing the release of Don't Go in the House very soon. It's a longer cut than previously released on dvd. Not sure what's coming for November but Scream Factory has Black Christmas for Dec., suppose to be a brand new transfer & they're also doing Cronenberg's Rabid (I want Shivers!); Driller Killer & Hellraiser 4-disc set from Arrow featuring the first three films & a bonus disc of extras about Clive Barker plus a 200 pg book!

rebid and shivers blue rays out in gb via arrow-as is Videodrome and disc of early films
is burial ground the itallo zombie film?

bitewerksMTB

Yeah, Andrea Bianchi's incest-zombie classic. 88 Films released it; Severin is using the same elements but did color correction so, I guess, it'll be the superior release? I suspect reviews will pop up soon.

I've thought about buying Arrow's UK bd of Shivers but as soon as I do, a US studio will announce it. I do have a torrent of the Arrow transfer. I think I watched it  Halloween night last year. Criterion Collection did Scanners & Videodrome, I have both of those.

I watched Race with the Devil last night; Peter Fonda & Warren Oates (and wives) chased by Satanic, murderous devil worshiping Texans!

Fluid Fetish

Shivers is such an excellent film, especially for his first movie. Kicked myself for the longest time for not grabbing a used up, old rental VHS copy that crossed my path years ago. Is it only being released on BD and not DVD? I did some brief google searching but maybe missed it?

bitewerksMTB

Arrow released Shivers in the UK as a bd/dvd set.

I just picked up The Editor & watched The Town that Dreaded Sundown a couple of afternoons ago. I caught most of the 'remake' not too long ago, also.

Fluid Fetish

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on October 11, 2016, 08:19:55 PM
Arrow released Shivers in the UK as a bd/dvd set.

Ah ok, thanks. For some reason I thought there was mention in this thread of a US version and now I see that my reading comprehension is flawed and moronic haha...

SOMEONE RELEASE THIS MOVIE IN THE US!!!